    my rescue before too long.

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Jan 3, 2008

  2. Lodi

    peter Guest

    Lodi wrote:
    > Before I start googling endless video forums, does anyone know a way to
    > convert mkv to dvd.

    I don't know what mkv is, but I've found kino is a good app for converting
    and editing video files.

    HTH

    Peter
    peter, Jan 3, 2008

  3. In article <fli2s3$3gp$>, Lodi did write:

    > Before I start googling endless video forums, does anyone know a way to
    > convert mkv to dvd.

    FFmpeg <http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/> will convert just about anything to
    anything. Recent versions also support options like "-target=pal-dvd" to
    preset all the necessary settings for creating MPEG-2 files ready for
    feeding to dvdauthor.

    Don't bother with any FFmpeg packages that may come with your
    distro--they're out of date. Get and build the latest source from
    Subversion.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 3, 2008
  4. Lodi

    Sticky Guest

    Lodi wrote:
    > Hi all....Using kubuntu feisty.
    >
    > Before I start googling endless video forums, does anyone know a way to
    > convert mkv to dvd.
    >
    > I'll start playing around with mplayer and hopefully someone will come to
    > my rescue before too long.

    Read all about it here

    http://www.afterdawn.com/faq/general_playback/how_do_i_play_mkv_files.cfm

    Once you have the mkv splitter onboard (and the decoder for the files
    inside your mkv) you can convert them to whatever format you want.
    Remember the data inside the mkv container could be highly compressed
    and may not yield very good MPEGII files for making DVDs. Anything less
    than 4000 Kb/s will probably give lousy DVDs.

    Download and install FFDShow.

    --
    Jim
    Sticky, Jan 5, 2008
  5. In article <477f1f43$>, Sticky did write:

    > Download and install FFDShow.

    Somehow I don't think there's a (K)Ubuntu package for that, for some
    reason...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 5, 2008
  6. Lodi

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-01-05, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > In article <477f1f43$>, Sticky did write:
    >
    >> Download and install FFDShow.

    > Somehow I don't think there's a (K)Ubuntu package for that, for some
    > reason...

    all2avi

    http://www.brothersoft.com/alltoavi-for-linux-45030.html

    A work around. Turn mkv into avi and the to DVD.

    My understanding is that mkv is the new, and improved kid on the block and
    there is the usual lead in time going on as the apps catch up.
    Gordon, Jan 6, 2008
  7. In article <>, Gordon did write:

    > My understanding is that mkv is the new, and improved kid on the block and
    > there is the usual lead in time going on as the apps catch up.

    FFmpeg already deals with it.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 6, 2008
  8. Lodi

    swordm Guest

    Total Video2Dvd Author can help you convert mkv to dvd simply and
    directly,

    main features:
    1. convert avi and other popular video formats (*.flv, *.divx, *.xivd,
    *.avi, *.wmv, *.mkv, *.rm, *.rmvb, *.3gp, *.mp4, *.mov, *.ts, *.ogm,
    etc.) to DVD or ISO image file.
    2. download youtube video or other video share website video, and burn
    it to dvd,
    3. include a lot of beautiful dvd menu template
    4. support photo slideshow to DVD,
    5. Supports .srt . sub .ssa .ass .smi .psb .tex .idx subtitles
    6. easy to use, only a few clicks.

    you can download it from:
    http://www.effectmatrix.com/total_video_to_DVD_Author/index.htm
    or
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=total video2dvd author&btnG=Google Search
    swordm, Jan 10, 2008
  9. In article
    <>, swordm
    did write:

    > Total Video2Dvd Author can help you convert mkv to dvd simply and
    > directly,

    Waste of time.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 11, 2008
  10. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    Hi all...sincere apologies for not sooner acknowledging and thanking
    those who took the time to reply. It's most appreciated.

    I've spent the last few days playing around with one of those Dick Smith
    4 x Security Cameras plus a hard disk recorder. All of the supplied
    software was written for XP but Mplayer made short work of adapting it to
    my Kubuntu system. For future googlers of Swann Security Camera Mplayer
    Kubuntu copy and paste (as one line) the following to your terminal....

    mplayer tv:// -tv
    driver=v4l2:alsa=yes:audiorate=48000:amode=1:adevice=hw.1,0:volume=80:immediatemode=0

    Quite neat fun although the cameras are pretty ineffective for anything
    further than twenty feet away. Will have to look into some decent
    cameras. Guess I should also look into the legalities of positioning the
    cameras:) It's all part of my anti-taggers campaign.

    Back to the original post of converting mkv to dvd.....

    I used the Auto/DVD preset of Avidemux 2.4 (r3731) and also used the
    resize filter to sort out an aspect ratio problem. Fortunately since v2.4
    Avidemux handles mkv files. A pretty easy solution after all.

    Out of curiosity (and as suggested by Lawrence) I downloaded the svn of
    ffmpeg. Using the following command I got a superb quality mpg ready for
    authoring to dvd. Most impressed. Needed the "copy time stamps" option to
    correct an audio sync problem and the aspect ratio option just to be sure.

    ffmpeg -i 'source_video_file.mkv' -target dvd -copyts -aspect 16:9
    'destination_video_file.mpg'

    Totally impressed with the quality of ffmpeg. And Avidemux is fast
    becoming the de facto multi-solution video app for me. Both open source
    too.

    Regards
    Lodi
    Lodi, Jan 12, 2008
  11. In article <fm9n2v$dbo$>, Lodi did write:

    > Out of curiosity (and as suggested by Lawrence) I downloaded the svn of
    > ffmpeg. Using the following command I got a superb quality mpg ready for
    > authoring to dvd. Most impressed.

    Glad you like it. :)

    Note also that FFmpeg can do two-pass compression, which might give you even
    better quality.

    > Needed the "copy time stamps" option to
    > correct an audio sync problem and the aspect ratio option just to be sure.

    It's got an amazing number of options. I recently discovered that what I
    thought was a long-standing bug was just my using the wrong default value
    of one of those options. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 12, 2008
  12. Lodi

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-01-12, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > In article <fm9n2v$dbo$>, Lodi did write:
    >
    >> Out of curiosity (and as suggested by Lawrence) I downloaded the svn of
    >> ffmpeg. Using the following command I got a superb quality mpg ready for
    >> authoring to dvd. Most impressed.

    > Glad you like it. :)
    >
    > Note also that FFmpeg can do two-pass compression, which might give you even
    > better quality.
    >
    >> Needed the "copy time stamps" option to
    >> correct an audio sync problem and the aspect ratio option just to be sure.

    > It's got an amazing number of options. I recently discovered that what I
    > thought was a long-standing bug was just my using the wrong default value
    > of one of those options. :)

    It is a powerhouse (backend) programme so it has lots of switchs/options. As
    does mkisofs.

    GUI's just us ethe most common ones.
    Gordon, Jan 13, 2008
  13. Lodi

    NR Guest

    On Jan 3, 8:29 pm, Lodi <> wrote:
    > Hi all....Using kubuntu feisty.
    >
    > Before I start googling endless video forums, does anyone know a way to
    > convert mkv to dvd.
    >
    > I'll start playing around with mplayer and hopefully someone will come to
    > my rescue before too long.
    >
    > Regards
    > Lodi

    Look for software called any2dvd
    NR, Jan 13, 2008
  14. In article
    <>, NR did
    write:

    > Look for software called any2dvd

    Seems to rely on mplayer/mencoder and transcode
    <http://sourceforge.net/projects/any2dvd/>.

    I never understood the point of transcode--ffmpeg seems to do it all anyway.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 14, 2008
  15. Lodi

    inman2787

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2010
    Messages:
    2
    mkv to dvd--ConvertXtoDVD

    I would recommend you to download and install the VSO ConvertXtoDVD on your system for this since this apppication will definitely help you to create your dvd you do not need any external codecs like the avi codec. You can also Create DVD menus with different templates available, possibility to add background video, image or audio, have chapter and audio/subtitle menus.
    ConvertXtoDVD - top-choice AVI to DVD video conversion software - convert and burn any videos such as Avi to DVD, WMV to DVD, MKV to DVD, YouTube to DVD, ogm, MPEG to DVD, quicktime mov to DVD.I suggest you can download its trail version to burn your avi movie.
    Hope that it can do your a favor.:trytofly:

    More reviews:google search"softwarebbs ConvertXtoDVD "
    inman2787, Oct 6, 2010