Krugman puts White House in Panic!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by StevieO, Nov 15, 2010.

  1. StevieO

    StevieO Guest

    Paul Krugman the Lefties Godly economist Confirms
    Sarah Palin was Correct. White House in bunker mode
    as this was suppose to stay hidden....LOL

    New York Times Columnist Says Death Panels Needed to Fix Economy
    by Steven Ertelt | | 11/15/10 1:38 PM

    When former vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin warned about the
    potential for "death panels" under ObamaCare that would make life and death
    medical decisions for patients, she was scoffed at and dismissed as off
    base.
    Now, an economist who is a columnist for the New York Times says death
    panels may be needed as a solution to fix the troubled economy.
    Paul Krugman appeared on ABC's "This Week with Christiane Amanpour" during a
    roundtable discussion about the economy and the recent conclusions from the
    U.S. Debt Reduction Commission.
    Krugman said the death panels won't come into play now but would down the
    road.
    "Some years down the pike, we're going to get the real solution, which is
    going to be a combination of death panels and sales taxes. It's going to be
    that we're actually going to take Medicare under control, and we're going to
    have to get some additional revenue, probably from a VAT. But it's not going
    to happen now," he said.
    Krugman said if the debt commission "were going to do reality therapy, they
    should have said, 'OK, look, Medicare is going to have to decide what it's
    going to pay for. And at least for starters, it's going to have to decide
    which medical procedures are not effective at all and should not be paid for
    at all.'"
    "In other words, it should have endorsed the panel that was part of the
    healthcare reform," he added.
    Krugman immediately came under fire for the comments on the Internet and he
    quickly posted a clarification on his blog.
    "I said something deliberately provocative on 'This Week,' so I think I'd
    better clarify what I meant, which I did on the show, but it can't hurt to
    say it again," he wrote. "So, what I said is that the eventual resolution of
    the deficit problem both will and should rely on "death panels and sales
    taxes."
    "What I meant is that . health care costs will have to be controlled, which
    will surely require having Medicare and Medicaid decide what they're willing
    to pay for - not really death panels, of course, but consideration of
    medical effectiveness and, at some point, how much we're willing to spend
    for extreme care," he added.
    Krugman admitted death panels are "politically impossible" but said they may
    happen someday.

    Some pro-life advocates are saying the ObamaCare bill, once implemented
    could put "death panels" in place now by using competitive pricing and cost
    analysis in a system similar to the British government-run health care
    system that make medical treatment decisions that have cost patients their
    lives.
    Palin first wrote about death panels on Facebook in August 2009 and she
    elaborated on her first post a week later.
    The provision that President Obama refers to is Section 1233 of HR 3200,
    entitled "Advance Care Planning Consultation." [2] With all due respect, it's
    misleading for the President to describe this section as an entirely
    voluntary provision that simply increases the information offered to
    Medicare recipients. The issue is the context in which that information is
    provided and the coercive effect these consultations will have in that
    context.
    Section 1233 authorizes advanced care planning consultations for senior
    citizens on Medicare every five years, and more often "if there is a
    significant change in the health condition of the individual . or upon
    admission to a skilled nursing facility, a long-term care facility. or a
    hospice program." [3] During those consultations, practitioners must explain
    "the continuum of end-of-life services and supports available, including
    palliative care and hospice," and the government benefits available to pay
    for such services. [4]
    Now put this in context. These consultations are authorized whenever a
    Medicare recipient's health changes significantly or when they enter a
    nursing home, and they are part of a bill whose stated purpose is "to reduce
    the growth in health care spending." [5] Is it any wonder that senior
    citizens might view such consultations as attempts to convince them to help
    reduce health care costs by accepting minimal end-of-life care? As Charles
    Lane notes in the Washington Post, Section 1233 "addresses compassionate
    goals in disconcerting proximity to fiscal ones.. If it's all about
    obviating suffering, emotional or physical, what's it doing in a measure to
    "bend the curve" on health-care costs?"
    Noel Sheppard of the conservative media watchdog Newsbusters responded to
    Krugman's comments.
    "This may have been "deliberately provocative," but so were Palin's comments
    which he now seems to be somewhat agreeing with albeit without having the
    nerve to admit it," he says.
    "To cut Medicare costs in the future - an essential part of budget balancing
    according to Krugman - the government is going to have to decide which
    procedures it will cover and which it won't. These decisions will admittedly
    involve a cost-benefit analysis. This means the individual's rights are
    being subordinated to the government's financial interest," Sheppard said.
    "As the government has deep budgetary problems, the cost-benefit analysis
    will naturally morph towards financial restraint thereby further limiting a
    patient's options and therefore his or her rights," he added.
    "As the government has deep budgetary problems, the cost-benefit analysis
    will naturally morph towards financial restraint thereby further limiting a
    patient's options and therefore his or her rights," he concluded. "If only
    such dangers were better explained to the public before Congress voted on
    this bill in March.
    Ethel Fenig also commented at the American Thinker blog about the Krugman
    remarks.
    "They laughed when Sarah Palin said Obamacare would require death panels to
    control medical costs. But for some reason no one laughs when New York times
    columnist Paul Krugman says the same thing. Maybe because he
    won-inexplicably-the Nobel Prize for Economics," she writes.
    StevieO, Nov 15, 2010

  2. StevieO

    Disbelief Guest

    StevieO wrote:
    > Paul Krugman the Lefties Godly economist Confirms
    > Sarah Palin was Correct. White House in bunker mode
    > as this was suppose to stay hidden....LOL
    >

    > New York Times Columnist Says Death Panels Needed to Fix Economy
    > by Steven Ertelt | | 11/15/10 1:38 PM
    >
    > When former vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin warned about the

    Total rubbish snipped.

    The only candidates for death panels should be idiots like you who believe
    in, or spread rumours about this sort of rubbish.

    Let's be honest, the great American health care system is already adept at
    this sort of thing by allowing to die those too poor to pay for such care -
    the first thing that's asked by the doctors is "are you paying by insurance,
    credit card or cash sir/madam" -- with the 'rider' no insurance, card or
    cash, then no treatment now **** off and die!!

    In the last 'league' of world-wide health care systems that I saw, America
    was around sixth or eight in it - even Cuba's *FREE* healthcare system beat
    the Yanks for quality!!

    Ah well, the archetypal, hollow headed, loud-mouthed, panic stricken Yank
    shouting his mouth off again and the merest sniff of a rumour.
    Disbelief, Nov 15, 2010

  3. StevieO

    webster72n Guest

    "Disbelief" wrote in message news:ibsg4i$ts2$...

    StevieO wrote:
    > Paul Krugman the Lefties Godly economist Confirms
    > Sarah Palin was Correct. White House in bunker mode
    > as this was suppose to stay hidden....LOL
    >

    > New York Times Columnist Says Death Panels Needed to Fix Economy
    > by Steven Ertelt | | 11/15/10 1:38 PM
    >
    > When former vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin warned about the

    Total rubbish snipped.

    The only candidates for death panels should be idiots like you who believe
    in, or spread rumours about this sort of rubbish.

    Let's be honest, the great American health care system is already adept at
    this sort of thing by allowing to die those too poor to pay for such care -
    the first thing that's asked by the doctors is "are you paying by insurance,
    credit card or cash sir/madam" -- with the 'rider' no insurance, card or
    cash, then no treatment now **** off and die!!

    And you expect a society as this to have a long lifespan?
    It lets people die because they lack the money to pay for their own
    care?
    This kind of system, called capitalism, is supposed to be superior to
    any other?
    Give me a break...
    You have no problem handing millions of dollars over to the people
    sitting at the trough
    and to perfect strangers, i.e. Iraqis, Afghans, Pakistanis etc., the
    list is endless.
    but helping your fellow man or woman is a thorn in your eye.
    Don't you ever bother to look in the mirror, I mean really look?

    webster72n, Nov 16, 2010
  4. StevieO

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 19:36:28 -0600, The Old Sourdough wrote:

    > "StevieO" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Paul Krugman the Lefties Godly economist Confirms Sarah Palin was
    >> Correct. White House in bunker mode as this was suppose to stay
    >> hidden....LOL
    >>

    > snip
    >
    > WE already have "death panels".
    > They're called "Insurance companies"

    LOL. That's always been clear to those who have a thought in their head.

    no hace mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en
    astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor."
    -Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'
    Aardvark, Nov 16, 2010