Kroll Ontrack Disk Manager

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Glenn Watkins, Dec 5, 2004.

  1. Howdy Everyone,

    I service computers for a living and need some help.

    Using the Windows XP installation disk to format a hard drive takes too darn
    long. Also, I'm not sure when to use full format or quick format.

    Using the Disk Manager Program CD packed with a new Hard Drive (Maxtor,
    Western Digital, Seagate, etc) only takes a few seconds
    to format and partition the drive. I currently do not have the disk manager
    software for Hitachi (IBM), Fujitsu, or others.

    When I get a computer in for service and want to format the drive quick,
    without knowing the brand of HD, I have to try each disk to
    find which one will work with the particular brand of drive or open the
    computer and sometimes remove the drive.

    I did some research and found that most Disk Manager Software is made by a
    company called Kroll. Their hard drive software is called
    Ontract DiskManager and the current version is 5. They want $60 to $70 for
    this software which is a little too much for me.

    I haven't found any for sale on eBay or other sources (wink).

    Any suggestions where I can get this or maybe another brand of disk manager
    software ?

    Thanks in Advance,
    Glenn
    Glenn Watkins, Dec 5, 2004

  2. Glenn Watkins

    HF Guest

    Download the ones you dont have!!!!!

    HF, Dec 5, 2004

  3. Glenn Watkins

    Thor Guest

    "Glenn Watkins" <> wrote in message
    > Howdy Everyone,
    >
    > I service computers for a living and need some help.
    >
    > Using the Windows XP installation disk to format a hard drive takes too
    > darn
    > long. Also, I'm not sure when to use full format or quick format.

    Use quick format if the drive has been previously formatted, and you know
    the drive integrity is ok (IE no reason to suspect drive problems). Use full
    format on brand new drives or a drive that has been repartitioned.
    Repartitioning is not necessary just to wipe out a previous installation, so
    most of the time you can use a quick format.

    > Using the Disk Manager Program CD packed with a new Hard Drive (Maxtor,
    > Western Digital, Seagate, etc) only takes a few seconds
    > to format and partition the drive. I currently do not have the disk
    > manager
    > software for Hitachi (IBM), Fujitsu, or others.

    It only takes a few seconds because like the windows quick format option,
    the drive surfaces aren't examined. During a full format, a basic integrity
    check is done as well, so it takes longer. On a new drive this should be
    done, because it at least does a basic verification. If you are just wiping
    a customer's drive to reinstall windows, full format is not really even
    necessary. A quick format can be done, or alternatively, in the case of
    win9x, simply renaming or deleting the windows folder is suffcient to begin
    a clean windows install on the drive, and doesn't wipe out all the other
    customer's data along with it.
    Thor, Dec 5, 2004
  4. Thanks for the info !

    There's one thing I don't quite understand. You said below:

    "Use full format on brand new drives or a drive that has been
    repartitioned."

    Since new retail-boxed drives are packed with Disk Manager Software which
    only does
    a quick format, why are you recommending a full format instead ?

    A new hard drive shouldn't need to be checked for disk integrity, right ?

    Thanks again,
    Glenn

    Glenn Watkins, Dec 5, 2004
  5. Glenn Watkins

    Thor Guest

    > Thanks for the info !
    >
    > There's one thing I don't quite understand. You said below:
    >
    > "Use full format on brand new drives or a drive that has been
    > repartitioned."
    >
    > Since new retail-boxed drives are packed with Disk Manager Software which
    > only does
    > a quick format, why are you recommending a full format instead ?
    >
    > A new hard drive shouldn't need to be checked for disk integrity, right ?

    If you choose to assume that the drive is always perfect from the factory,
    without any kind of verification whatsoever, then I suppose you don't. But i
    don't choose to assume that. I've had several bad drives right from the
    factory in the 9 years I've serviced PCs. I choose not to discover this
    after going to the trouble of doing a windows install, or worse yet,
    delivering the PC back to the customer's hands only to have it returned
    later. Although the verification that a full format gives is not exactly
    vigorous, it's at least a basic check of the drive, and it's worth the wait
    IMHO for the little bit of peace of mind it gives. The only time I might
    skip it, is when installing a new drive on-site, which I only do when
    absolutely necessary. I use the time waiting on the format to multitask and
    work on other PCs I have sitting on the bench.
    Thor, Dec 6, 2004
  6. Great. That answers all my questions. I learn something new everyday.

    Thanks again,
    Glenn

    ?

    Glenn Watkins, Dec 6, 2004