KProbe2 scan results very different for same disc, tested on LiteOn LH-20A1P and 832S drives

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nighthawk, Jul 30, 2007.

  1. Nighthawk

    Nighthawk Guest

    I just installed a new LiteOn LH-20A1P DVD-RW drive in addition to the
    LiteOn SOHW-832S (CG5M firmware) drive I already had. The new drive
    was installed as master.

    Running Win98SE I didn't install any of the software than came with it
    - Nero 7 Essentials (system requirements for this drive is Win2k or XP
    or Vista). I used Nero Burning Rom 6.6.

    Drive was flashed with latest firmware, KLON. Latest version of
    LiteOn SmartBurn was downloaded and HyperTuning and Overspeed was
    enabled. This allowed Nero to burn an 8x disc (Optodisc OR8 DVD+R) at
    12x for my very first burn on this drive. Normally, to get top
    quality burns with this media and the 832S drive I burn at 4x.

    I played the DVD which went through flawlessly. Then I ran a test
    with KProbe2 (default settings) first on the 20A1P drive it was burned
    on, then again on the 832s I have been using for a few years.

    Results:

    On LH-20A1P : (ran twice)

    PI Max : 585
    PI Average : 18.90
    PI Total : 308713
    PIF Max : 18
    PIF Average : 0.27
    PIF Total : 4379

    On SOHW-832S :

    PI Max : 27
    PI Average : 3.04
    PI Total : 47743
    PIF Max : 2
    PIF Average : 0.02
    PIF Total : 359

    I don't understand why the first test had such a high error count.
    This was mainly in a 'mountain' around 20% of the way into the disc.
    The error count, especially the PIF Max of 18, would put this in the
    bin, normally. But the test result run on the 832S drive makes this
    burn an outstanding one with the error rate rising towards the end, no
    peak.

    How is it that these two drives give such differing scan results? I
    don't know to interpret these results, especially the first one.

    I notice when people assess burners online, with KProbe2, they usually
    use a LiteOn DVD-Rom drive, not the burner. Is there some kind of
    problem using a new burner for testing?

    I just ran a test, same disc, on the new drive, with Nero CD-DVD
    Speed, 4.7.5.0 with ScanDisc and it came through 100% good. This
    seems to confirm the good scan on the 832S.
    Nighthawk, Jul 30, 2007