Konqueror's Kioslaves

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 13, 2005.

  1. KDE's Konqueror is more than just a Web browser and a filesystem browser: it
    has a whole bunch of other capabilities as well, implemented through
    plug-ins called "kioslaves".

    To see what kioslave extensions you've got installed, enter the following
    into Konqueror's address bar:

    help:kioslave

    This will bring up a list of all the kioslaves, each item hyperlinked to a
    fuller description of what it does and how to use it. Some of the more
    interesting ones are:

    * fish -- allows you to browse and manipulate a filesystem on a remote
    machine via an SSH connection. This is shown via a graphical display
    identical to that for a local filesystem.
    * man -- lets you browse the man pages installed on your system. No search
    capability, though.
    * info -- lets you view those "info" files that the GNU folks seem to prefer
    to man pages. Offers a nicer viewer than the standard text-based info
    viewer.
    * imap, imaps -- lets you view mail folders on an IMAP server, with or
    without TLS encryption. Who needs an actual mail client? :)
    * ldap -- for browsing an LDAP repository.

    One obvious omission (on my SuSE 9.1 system) is a kioslave that lets you
    treat a filesystem image file (e.g. an ISO CD image) as a mounted
    filesystem so you can access the files in it. I wonder if this is added in
    KDE 3.4...?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 13, 2005

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Jessica Hall Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote: > One obvious omission (on my SuSE 9.1
    system) is a kioslave that lets you > treat a filesystem image file
    (e.g. an ISO CD image) as a mounted > filesystem so you can access the
    files in it. I wonder if this is added in > KDE 3.4...? There is not
    such a thing in the main KDE distribution, but there is one here:
    http://libcdrom.sourceforge.net/kio_iso.html and apparently one
    included with the krusader file manager, found on kde-apps.org
    ---canllaith

    Jessica Hall, Sep 14, 2005

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Jessica Hall Guest

    Jessica Hall, Sep 14, 2005
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Jessica Hall Guest

    Jessica Hall wrote:

    Argh! Sorry for the spam - note to self, DO NOT believe google when it
    says 'post didn't work, try again later!'

    ;)

    Jessica Hall, Sep 14, 2005
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Allistar Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > KDE's Konqueror is more than just a Web browser and a filesystem browser:
    > it has a whole bunch of other capabilities as well, implemented through
    > plug-ins called "kioslaves".

    [snip]

    The great thing about kioslaves is that they work from all KDE applications
    as well as Konqueror. Any file open dialog can open a file presented by a
    kioslave. For example, in Quanta I can open: "fish://someserver/file.php "
    for direct editing and saving. No need to drag a copy of it down locally.
    The only pain is that they are no available from the command line or from
    non KDE apps (like OpenOffice.org).

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Sep 14, 2005
  7. In article <>,
    "Jessica Hall" <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> One obvious omission (on my SuSE 9.1 system) is a kioslave that lets you
    >> treat a filesystem image file (e.g. an ISO CD image) as a mounted
    >> filesystem so you can access the files in it. I wonder if this is added in
    >> KDE 3.4...?

    >There is not such a thing in the main KDE distribution, but there is
    >one here: http://libcdrom.sourceforge.net/kio_iso.html and apparently
    >one included with the krusader file manager, found on kde-apps.org

    Thanks for that, though I shouldn't have been surprised. :)

    I see there's also one in the KDE CVS that does SQL queries, not sure if
    that's been released yet...

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Sep 14, 2005
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Peter Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > KDE's Konqueror is more than just a Web browser and a filesystem browser:
    > it has a whole bunch of other capabilities as well, implemented through
    > plug-ins called "kioslaves".

    cool !
    I didn't know about the man pages display, it's great.

    However, when I open a file in Konqueror (text, html, ps, whatever) then
    return to file view (eg using the up arrow), the columns of file info shown
    is different.
    I have the default style in tree view, with these columns;
    Name, Size, File Type, Modified, Permissions, Owner, Group, Link

    After returning from viewing an object, it is in Info List View, the columns
    are;
    File Name, Items, Size

    Obviously some setting has been changed somewhere, but I can't remember
    where.
    Can anyone give me a hint on fixing this? ie so that Konqueror returns to
    tree view, not info list view. Distro is Mandriva 2005LE.

    TIA

    Peter

    Peter, Sep 14, 2005
  9. In article <>,
    Peter <> wrote:

    >However, when I open a file in Konqueror (text, html, ps, whatever) then
    >return to file view (eg using the up arrow), the columns of file info shown
    >is different.

    I tend not to notice problems like these, because I always open the item
    in a new window. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 15, 2005