Konika-Minolta Z2 vs. Fujifilm S5500 vs. Fujifilm S3500 vs. CanonA95 vs. Canon G5

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PretzelX, Sep 30, 2004.

  1. PretzelX

    PretzelX Guest

    Hi,

    Which would you buy!!!... I'm looking for a digital camera with the
    following features:
    * long zoom (would be very nice, but will compromise if can get a
    better quality camera/picture with lesser zoom)
    * at least 4MP
    * excellent reliability
    * ability to shoot macro < 10 cm (would be nice if possible)
    * good level of manual control but most importantly exceptional
    'automatic mode'. Want a camera that will take great pictures on auto
    mode.
    * easy to use user-interface (have used Nikon Coolpix 4300 and find the
    user interface a little bit of a hassle to use)
    * ability to focus/shoot well in low light is also desirable

    These are the approximate prices I can get them for:
    Konika-Minolta Z2 - AU$549 (US$384)
    Fujifilm FinePix S5500 - AU$549 (US$384)
    Fujifilm FinePix S3500 - AU$369 (US$258)
    Canon PowerShot A95 - AU$573 (US$401)
    Canon PowerShot G5 - AU$668 (US$467)

    I've read the specs through and have become more confused! Liked the
    feel of the Fujifilms. Haven't seen any example galleries of shots
    taken by Fujufilm s5500. Thought the finish of K-M Z2 was a bit cheap
    -ie plasticy, but have seen some example photos which were excellent.
    Have always heard good things about Canons, but their long zoom camera
    doesn't take my fancy.

    Thanks for your opinions.
    PretzelX
     
    PretzelX, Sep 30, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Re: Konika-Minolta Z2 vs. Fujifilm S5500 vs. Fujifilm S3500 vs. Canon A95 vs. Canon G5

    > Haven't seen any example galleries of shots taken by Fujufilm s5500.

    http://www.grootnet.com/S5500/kookaburra.jpg

    Here's a photo taken by an S5500...

    Cheers,
    Richard
     
    Richard Stewart, Sep 30, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Re: Konika-Minolta Z2 vs. Fujifilm S5500 vs. Fujifilm S3500 vs. Canon A95 vs. Canon G5

    "Richard Stewart" <> wrote in message
    news:cjg70i$1ppd$...
    > > Haven't seen any example galleries of shots taken by Fujufilm s5500.

    >
    > http://www.grootnet.com/S5500/kookaburra.jpg
    >
    > Here's a photo taken by an S5500...


    http://www.grootnet.com/S5500

    Actually there's a whole bunch here...

    Cheers,
    Richard
     
    Richard Stewart, Sep 30, 2004
    #3
  4. PretzelX

    PretzelX Guest

    Richard, thanks for that! Excellent! Do you like your S5500? May I
    ask you why you chose the S5500? Do you find it easy to use?

    Thanks very much for your help.
    PretzelX

    Richard Stewart wrote:
    > "Richard Stewart" <> wrote in message
    > news:cjg70i$1ppd$...
    >
    >>> Haven't seen any example galleries of shots taken by Fujufilm s5500.

    >>
    >>http://www.grootnet.com/S5500/kookaburra.jpg
    >>
    >>Here's a photo taken by an S5500...

    >
    >
    > http://www.grootnet.com/S5500
    >
    > Actually there's a whole bunch here...
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Richard
    >
    >
     
    PretzelX, Sep 30, 2004
    #4
  5. Re: Konika-Minolta Z2 vs. Fujifilm S5500 vs. Fujifilm S3500 vs. Canon A95 vs. Canon G5

    > Richard, thanks for that! Excellent! Do you like your S5500? May I
    > ask you why you chose the S5500? Do you find it easy to use?


    I don't own an S5500 - I own the older S5000
    That site I listed is not mine, but one I found while looking to see if the
    S500 is a worthwhile upgrade for me...

    And from what I see the S5500 is a lot better than the S5000...

    The S5000 camera is awesome - fast, responsive, takes excellent photos, is
    very very efficent on batteries...

    It's very easy to use - the controls are laid out nicely, and the camera has
    a mini-SLR feel to it, so is very comfortable to use.

    Depending on the mode, it can take photos up to 5 fps as well...

    The fact that it also comes with a 55mm filter thread as well is a nice
    bonus... you can use any number of filters with it...

    The only issues I had with the S5000 have been fixed on the S5500, so I wish
    I'd waited 8 months!

    The issues were - only 2 second max shutter open times (now 15 secs I
    think), and no low ISO modes (also fixed)...

    Cheers,
    Richard
     
    Richard Stewart, Sep 30, 2004
    #5
  6. PretzelX

    DHB Guest

    Re: Konika-Minolta Z2 vs. Fujifilm S5500 vs. Fujifilm S3500 vs. Canon A95 vs. Canon G5

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:52:45 +1000, PretzelX <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Which would you buy!!!... I'm looking for a digital camera with the
    >following features:
    > * long zoom (would be very nice, but will compromise if can get a
    >better quality camera/picture with lesser zoom)
    > * at least 4MP
    > * excellent reliability
    > * ability to shoot macro < 10 cm (would be nice if possible)
    > * good level of manual control but most importantly exceptional
    >'automatic mode'. Want a camera that will take great pictures on auto
    >mode.
    > * easy to use user-interface (have used Nikon Coolpix 4300 and find the
    >user interface a little bit of a hassle to use)
    > * ability to focus/shoot well in low light is also desirable
    >
    >These are the approximate prices I can get them for:
    >Konika-Minolta Z2 - AU$549 (US$384)
    >Fujifilm FinePix S5500 - AU$549 (US$384)
    >Fujifilm FinePix S3500 - AU$369 (US$258)
    >Canon PowerShot A95 - AU$573 (US$401)
    >Canon PowerShot G5 - AU$668 (US$467)
    >
    >I've read the specs through and have become more confused! Liked the
    >feel of the Fujifilms. Haven't seen any example galleries of shots
    >taken by Fujufilm s5500. Thought the finish of K-M Z2 was a bit cheap
    >-ie plasticy, but have seen some example photos which were excellent.
    >Have always heard good things about Canons, but their long zoom camera
    >doesn't take my fancy.
    >
    >Thanks for your opinions.
    >PretzelX


    PretzelX,
    I strongly consider that you do side-by-side picture
    comparisons looking for digital nosie. Here is a good review link for
    comparing many different digital cameras:

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

    Unfortunately he does not yet have a review of the Fuji
    Finepix S5500 but only the S5000. However check out the review on the
    Canon G5 & skip over to the sample pictures, mainly the picture of the
    white Marina Cafe building. In my opinion this is a grate test
    subject because there is lots of detain & dynamic range in this
    subject. Look into the lower illuminated areas of the picture like
    the 1st & 2nd floor which is shaded & look for noise. There is always
    some there but you will notice much less from the G5's picture than
    the S5000's picture. Not a fair comparison because your considering
    the newer S5500, but compare all unedited pictures that you find
    against others from all the cameras that you are considering & look
    for noise.

    Can't speak personally about the G5 because I don't own 1 but
    I do own a G2 & it's a great everyday camera with low noise & the
    ability to mount an external flash. To be honest I am somewhat biased
    toward Canon because I own a few of them but that's because my 1st
    digital Canon camera got me hooked, the humble A40, 2MP which I still
    own & use for certain things. No camera is perfect & we all consider
    different things when we view a picture, so it's important that you
    research your choices well & go with what fits "your" needs best. As
    for that, only "you" can decide!

    2 more notes, most cameras have a program mode "P" where it's
    basically the same as full "AUTO" but you get to make a few changes.
    If your needs are best served in "AUTO" mode, then I would suggest
    that you try placing it in "P" mode & change only 1 thing. Lower the
    ISO setting to the camera's lowest, ISO 50 on most Canon Digicams.
    This alone can go a long way to giving you cleaner pictures from any
    camera. Lastly, get used to using exposure compensation because
    cameras don't always get the exposure correct or to "your" liking.

    My G2 seems to take better pictures with the ISO set to 50 &
    the exposure compensation to -1/3 EV, but this is "my" preference with
    this camera. "Your" view of the same picture could be very different
    from mine but a little experimentation with any camera you choice is
    likely to allow you to get the best pictures from it.

    Best wishes, I hope you are happy with your selection &
    remember, most of the fun is in capturing the moment as best you can,
    not on "who has the best camera, etc....."

    Respectfully, DHB
    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the President,
    or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong,
    is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable
    to the American public."----Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
     
    DHB, Sep 30, 2004
    #6
  7. PretzelX

    Richard Guest

    Re: Konika-Minolta Z2 vs. Fujifilm S5500 vs. Fujifilm S3500 vs. Canon A95 vs. Canon G5

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:14:44 GMT, DHB <> wrote:
    > Unfortunately he does not yet have a review of the Fuji
    >Finepix S5500 but only the S5000.


    Yeah that's one of my small annoyances with the S5000 - noisey images
    (not really bad, but in low light it suffers) - apparently Fuji
    themselves were not impressed either, and have replaced the CCD sensor
    with a newer lower noise CCD.

    Cheers,
    Richard
     
    Richard, Sep 30, 2004
    #7
  8. PretzelX

    PretzelX Guest

    Hi Richard,

    Thanks very much for your advice. Do you know if the noise performance
    has improved with the new CCD in the s5500?

    Many thanks.
    PretzelX.

    Richard wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:14:44 GMT, DHB <> wrote:
    >
    >> Unfortunately he does not yet have a review of the Fuji
    >>Finepix S5500 but only the S5000.

    >
    >
    > Yeah that's one of my small annoyances with the S5000 - noisey images
    > (not really bad, but in low light it suffers) - apparently Fuji
    > themselves were not impressed either, and have replaced the CCD sensor
    > with a newer lower noise CCD.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Richard
    >
     
    PretzelX, Oct 1, 2004
    #8
  9. PretzelX

    PretzelX Guest

    Hi DHB,

    Thanks very much for all your advice and you opinions. I really
    appreciate the effort you've gone to write such and in depth reply.

    Thanks.
    PretzelX

    DHB wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:52:45 +1000, PretzelX <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Which would you buy!!!... I'm looking for a digital camera with the
    >>following features:
    >> * long zoom (would be very nice, but will compromise if can get a
    >>better quality camera/picture with lesser zoom)
    >> * at least 4MP
    >> * excellent reliability
    >> * ability to shoot macro < 10 cm (would be nice if possible)
    >> * good level of manual control but most importantly exceptional
    >>'automatic mode'. Want a camera that will take great pictures on auto
    >>mode.
    >> * easy to use user-interface (have used Nikon Coolpix 4300 and find the
    >>user interface a little bit of a hassle to use)
    >> * ability to focus/shoot well in low light is also desirable
    >>
    >>These are the approximate prices I can get them for:
    >>Konika-Minolta Z2 - AU$549 (US$384)
    >>Fujifilm FinePix S5500 - AU$549 (US$384)
    >>Fujifilm FinePix S3500 - AU$369 (US$258)
    >>Canon PowerShot A95 - AU$573 (US$401)
    >>Canon PowerShot G5 - AU$668 (US$467)
    >>
    >>I've read the specs through and have become more confused! Liked the
    >>feel of the Fujifilms. Haven't seen any example galleries of shots
    >>taken by Fujufilm s5500. Thought the finish of K-M Z2 was a bit cheap
    >>-ie plasticy, but have seen some example photos which were excellent.
    >>Have always heard good things about Canons, but their long zoom camera
    >>doesn't take my fancy.
    >>
    >>Thanks for your opinions.
    >>PretzelX

    >
    >
    > PretzelX,
    > I strongly consider that you do side-by-side picture
    > comparisons looking for digital nosie. Here is a good review link for
    > comparing many different digital cameras:
    >
    > http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
    >
    > Unfortunately he does not yet have a review of the Fuji
    > Finepix S5500 but only the S5000. However check out the review on the
    > Canon G5 & skip over to the sample pictures, mainly the picture of the
    > white Marina Cafe building. In my opinion this is a grate test
    > subject because there is lots of detain & dynamic range in this
    > subject. Look into the lower illuminated areas of the picture like
    > the 1st & 2nd floor which is shaded & look for noise. There is always
    > some there but you will notice much less from the G5's picture than
    > the S5000's picture. Not a fair comparison because your considering
    > the newer S5500, but compare all unedited pictures that you find
    > against others from all the cameras that you are considering & look
    > for noise.
    >
    > Can't speak personally about the G5 because I don't own 1 but
    > I do own a G2 & it's a great everyday camera with low noise & the
    > ability to mount an external flash. To be honest I am somewhat biased
    > toward Canon because I own a few of them but that's because my 1st
    > digital Canon camera got me hooked, the humble A40, 2MP which I still
    > own & use for certain things. No camera is perfect & we all consider
    > different things when we view a picture, so it's important that you
    > research your choices well & go with what fits "your" needs best. As
    > for that, only "you" can decide!
    >
    > 2 more notes, most cameras have a program mode "P" where it's
    > basically the same as full "AUTO" but you get to make a few changes.
    > If your needs are best served in "AUTO" mode, then I would suggest
    > that you try placing it in "P" mode & change only 1 thing. Lower the
    > ISO setting to the camera's lowest, ISO 50 on most Canon Digicams.
    > This alone can go a long way to giving you cleaner pictures from any
    > camera. Lastly, get used to using exposure compensation because
    > cameras don't always get the exposure correct or to "your" liking.
    >
    > My G2 seems to take better pictures with the ISO set to 50 &
    > the exposure compensation to -1/3 EV, but this is "my" preference with
    > this camera. "Your" view of the same picture could be very different
    > from mine but a little experimentation with any camera you choice is
    > likely to allow you to get the best pictures from it.
    >
    > Best wishes, I hope you are happy with your selection &
    > remember, most of the fun is in capturing the moment as best you can,
    > not on "who has the best camera, etc....."
    >
    > Respectfully, DHB
    > "To announce that there must be no criticism of the President,
    > or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong,
    > is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable
    > to the American public."----Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
     
    PretzelX, Oct 1, 2004
    #9
  10. PretzelX

    Richard Guest

    Re: Konika-Minolta Z2 vs. Fujifilm S5500 vs. Fujifilm S3500 vs. Canon A95 vs. Canon G5

    On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 15:59:38 +1000, PretzelX <>
    wrote:

    >Hi Richard,
    >
    >Thanks very much for your advice. Do you know if the noise performance
    >has improved with the new CCD in the s5500?


    Oh yes indeed!
    The noise levels with the new CCD are through the floor...

    Cheers,
    Richard
     
    Richard, Oct 3, 2004
    #10
  11. PretzelX

    Jim Handy Guest

    Re: Konika-Minolta Z2 vs. Fujifilm S5500 vs. Fujifilm S3500 vs. Canon A95 vs. Canon G5

    I've had the Z2 for several months and have enjoyed it

    "PretzelX" <> wrote in message
    news:HsL6d.3510$...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Which would you buy!!!... I'm looking for a digital camera with the
    > following features:
    > * long zoom (would be very nice, but will compromise if can get a better
    > quality camera/picture with lesser zoom)
    > * at least 4MP
    > * excellent reliability
    > * ability to shoot macro < 10 cm (would be nice if possible)
    > * good level of manual control but most importantly exceptional 'automatic
    > mode'. Want a camera that will take great pictures on auto mode.
    > * easy to use user-interface (have used Nikon Coolpix 4300 and find the
    > user interface a little bit of a hassle to use)
    > * ability to focus/shoot well in low light is also desirable
    >
    > These are the approximate prices I can get them for:
    > Konika-Minolta Z2 - AU$549 (US$384)
    > Fujifilm FinePix S5500 - AU$549 (US$384)
    > Fujifilm FinePix S3500 - AU$369 (US$258)
    > Canon PowerShot A95 - AU$573 (US$401)
    > Canon PowerShot G5 - AU$668 (US$467)
    >
    > I've read the specs through and have become more confused! Liked the feel
    > of the Fujifilms. Haven't seen any example galleries of shots taken by
    > Fujufilm s5500. Thought the finish of K-M Z2 was a bit cheap -ie
    > plasticy, but have seen some example photos which were excellent. Have
    > always heard good things about Canons, but their long zoom camera doesn't
    > take my fancy.
    >
    > Thanks for your opinions.
    > PretzelX
     
    Jim Handy, Oct 4, 2004
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. PretzelX

    Fujifilm s5500 vs Olympus c770 vs Canon A95

    PretzelX, Nov 8, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    436
    PretzelX
    Nov 10, 2004
  2. Rich

    konika-Minolta not doing to well

    Rich, Nov 10, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    298
    Bill Hilton
    Nov 11, 2005
  3. Kodak z740, FujiFilm S3500 or Kyocera M410R

    , Dec 1, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    329
    Ron Hunter
    Dec 2, 2005
  4. Replies:
    6
    Views:
    380
    Ron Baird
    Jan 11, 2006
  5. Fujifilm S3500

    , Jun 17, 2009, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    437
    John Navas
    Jun 17, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page