Konica Minolta

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jem, Apr 21, 2004.

  1. jem

    jem Guest

    I have had Nikon Cameras since approx. 1979 and for the first time 1 year
    and 20 days ago I bought a Minolta Dimage 7Hi. I thought it was the cats
    meow even though it did some strange things in it's progaming (unprovoked).

    When the camera was 1 year and 3 days old the telephoto focus ceased to
    function in a big way. I sent it off to Minolta and received an estimate
    for almost as much as the camera is worth and a notation "owner
    mis-handled".

    I have had quality cameras for many years and respect, even revere quality
    and therefore protect a quality camera. I was stunned to realize Minolta
    would disenfranchise a customer with that off handed offensive comment. To
    say nothing about their unwillingnes to cover the defective equiptment even
    though it was approx. 2 days over warranty.

    Has anyone had negative results dealing with Minolta repair or is this just
    an aberation, an unfortunate one at best.

    Would love to hear about others experience.

    jem
    jem, Apr 21, 2004

  2. jem

    Clyde Guest

    jem wrote:
    > I have had Nikon Cameras since approx. 1979 and for the first time 1 year
    > and 20 days ago I bought a Minolta Dimage 7Hi. I thought it was the cats
    > meow even though it did some strange things in it's progaming (unprovoked).
    >
    > When the camera was 1 year and 3 days old the telephoto focus ceased to
    > function in a big way. I sent it off to Minolta and received an estimate
    > for almost as much as the camera is worth and a notation "owner
    > mis-handled".
    >
    > I have had quality cameras for many years and respect, even revere quality
    > and therefore protect a quality camera. I was stunned to realize Minolta
    > would disenfranchise a customer with that off handed offensive comment. To
    > say nothing about their unwillingnes to cover the defective equiptment even
    > though it was approx. 2 days over warranty.
    >
    > Has anyone had negative results dealing with Minolta repair or is this just
    > an aberation, an unfortunate one at best.
    >
    > Would love to hear about others experience.
    >
    > jem

    My 7Hi has never broken in any way. I've had over a year with no
    problems. I rather like it actually.

    BTW, I wouldn't attribute that small comment to all of Konica Minolta.
    There are insensitive, rude, and even mean people in every company.

    Clyde
    Clyde, Apr 21, 2004

  3. jem

    Skip M Guest

    This would seem to be standard procedure for Minolta. We had an S304 cease
    its autofocus. We sent it in, got it back with "no problem found," but
    before we could send it back to them, again (it still didn't AF) the battery
    door latch broke. Our dealer enclosed a note with the camera saying the AF
    issue predated the broken door, but we still got the camera back with an
    estimate of about $200 to repair the AF (now, at least, they admit there is
    a problem!) because of "user damage."
    I'll never buy, or recommend, a Minolta camera again.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Apr 21, 2004
  4. jem

    Snowman Guest

    Did you buy it on your Visa Gold or similar? I had my Canon digicam die on
    15 months and Visa just refunded my purchase price.
    Not to mention I got to buy twice as good of a unit for less $$.
    These cards usually give 1 yr on top of whatever manufacturer gives.

    Snowman, Apr 21, 2004
  5. jem wrote:

    > I have had Nikon Cameras since approx. 1979 and for the first time 1 year
    > and 20 days ago I bought a Minolta Dimage 7Hi. I thought it was the cats
    > meow even though it did some strange things in it's progaming (unprovoked).
    >
    > When the camera was 1 year and 3 days old the telephoto focus ceased to
    > function in a big way. I sent it off to Minolta and received an estimate
    > for almost as much as the camera is worth and a notation "owner
    > mis-handled".
    >
    > I have had quality cameras for many years and respect, even revere quality
    > and therefore protect a quality camera. I was stunned to realize Minolta
    > would disenfranchise a customer with that off handed offensive comment. To
    > say nothing about their unwillingnes to cover the defective equiptment even
    > though it was approx. 2 days over warranty.
    >
    > Has anyone had negative results dealing with Minolta repair or is this just
    > an aberation, an unfortunate one at best.
    >
    > Would love to hear about others experience.

    As director of the Minolta Club of Great Britain I get to deal with any
    similar complaints from members. We do get one or two, and one of my
    magazine writers is currently struggling with an A1 on a yo-yo service
    arrangements - they repair one thing, and something else is broken when
    it comes back. However the British repair team are generally very well
    regarded; Bernard Petticrew is now the technical helpline (and has been
    with Minolta since 1966) while John Baker runs the service dept. We
    operate a 'club member' camera service and check, which costs under £20
    ($40) per unit of camera with lens, and involves cleaning, tightening
    anything which is accesssible, lubricating anything accessible, and
    bench testing all functions (shutter, metering, AF, lens collimation to
    focusing screen etc) then issuing a certificate. If a repair-level fault
    is found, the owner is informed and a quote issued. All our members get
    10 per cent discount on any servicing or repairs out of warranty.

    The main problem today is the cost of repair versus new. In the past, a
    camera cost (typically) one month's wages for a professional person or
    senior employee such as a camera technician - the Minolta SRT 101 cost
    £175 when a starting salary (clerk, librarian, etc) was £650 a year and
    a small family car cost £450. Today a camera costs about one week's
    wages for an average employee such as a service tech, and legislation
    means the employer carries an overhead of roughly 100 per of wages in
    compliance, rather than about 20 per cent.

    This, and the change to digital cameras where entire modules must be
    replaced - and a stock of modules created and held to cover the life of
    the camera - means repairs are 50 per cent of new replacement or higher,
    instead of 10 per cent of the original cost. Many repairs are not
    possible - they are not repairs. They are swapouts of the whole camera
    innards.

    It does upset people when repairs cost so much. The Minolta Club in
    Britain offers an extended warranty backed by Minolta through Domestic
    and General. As each new model comes to the end of its warrany
    honeymoon, it gets into the list of extended warranty candidates and the
    owner can buy cover. We also offer insurance of the other kind, against
    theft and damage, and guarantee Minolta repairs and like-for-like
    replacement. Many insurers try to offer alternative makes or
    non-official repairs (as we have found) while with ours, you can insure
    an SRT 101 for the new price of a Dynax 5 (which we would say was a fair
    comparison). In the event of disputes we advise the insurers. An XM is
    definitely worth a Dynax 9 rather than the paltry actual value of the XM
    body - as long as the appropriate premium is paid.

    Because of the Minolta set-up this is all unique to the British
    distribution, though there may be similar deals through Minolta Club
    Netherlands if it still exists, Minolta Club Austria, and Minolta
    Spiegel (Germany, and not a club really), or even through the website KM
    PhotoWorld though that just looks like a marketing backup to me and does
    not seem to promise any registration benefits. But it's free, and we are
    not!

    David
    http://www.freelancephotographer.co.uk/mi/
    David Kilpatrick, Apr 21, 2004
  6. jem

    Charlie Self Guest

    David Kilpatrick writes:

    >The main problem today is the cost of repair versus new. In the past, a
    >camera cost (typically) one month's wages for a professional person or
    >senior employee such as a camera technician - the Minolta SRT 101 cost
    >£175 when a starting salary (clerk, librarian, etc) was £650 a year and
    >a small family car cost £450. Today a camera costs about one week's
    >wages for an average employee such as a service tech, and legislation
    >means the employer carries an overhead of roughly 100 per of wages in
    >compliance, rather than about 20 per cent.
    >
    >This, and the change to digital cameras where entire modules must be
    >replaced - and a stock of modules created and held to cover the life of
    >the camera - means repairs are 50 per cent of new replacement or higher,
    >instead of 10 per cent of the original cost. Many repairs are not
    >possible - they are not repairs. They are swapouts of the whole camera
    >innards.

    In a sense, that makes sense. But in another sense...a tale of long ago, mostly
    in the U.S. I was an aviation electronics tech in the U.S.M.C. About the time I
    got to work on helicopter autopilots, the switch was made from vacuum tubes
    (long ago, as I said) to solid state, and to printed circuit boards.

    Now, the U.S. military doesn't really ever try to save money, so that wasn't a
    point here. But unless the units swapped out cost one helluva lot more than the
    non-modular units preceding them, testing and other procedures because so
    simplified that a rebuild that previously had to be returned to the factory was
    possible for a decently trained tech. And, instead of taking hours of testing
    and replacement, the whole test and swap deal was done in 5 to 10 minutes.

    Given, pay and perks are higher now (back then, in USD, I was getting $124 a
    month as a lance corporal), but a change-off from individual parts based to
    modular swap-outs should not increase costs appreciably unless the modular
    units are too expensive...or so poorly engineered that replacement is
    exceptionally time consuming.

    In other words, possible higher parts costs should readily be made up by
    savings in labor costs, plus the fact that the laborer hired needs less
    training, so can get a lower pay rate.

    But of course, it isn't. So we're looking at either piss poor engineering
    practices that defeat a large part of the possibilities of modular units, or
    we're looking at gouging (or a combination of the 2, of course).

    Still, my 7i has needed only one trip in, for a warranty fix, in more than 18
    months, and my x370s (Dynax?) have never had a problem.
    Charlie Self
    "Ambidextrous, adj.: Able to pick with equal skill a right-hand pocket or a
    left." Ambrose Bierce
    Charlie Self, Apr 21, 2004
  7. jem

    Alan Browne Guest

    jem wrote:

    > I have had Nikon Cameras since approx. 1979 and for the first time 1 year
    > and 20 days ago I bought a Minolta Dimage 7Hi. I thought it was the cats
    > meow even though it did some strange things in it's progaming (unprovoked).
    >
    > When the camera was 1 year and 3 days old the telephoto focus ceased to
    > function in a big way. I sent it off to Minolta and received an estimate
    > for almost as much as the camera is worth and a notation "owner
    > mis-handled".
    >
    > I have had quality cameras for many years and respect, even revere quality
    > and therefore protect a quality camera. I was stunned to realize Minolta
    > would disenfranchise a customer with that off handed offensive comment. To
    > say nothing about their unwillingnes to cover the defective equiptment even
    > though it was approx. 2 days over warranty.
    >
    > Has anyone had negative results dealing with Minolta repair or is this just
    > an aberation, an unfortunate one at best.

    I had a Minolta flash go TU a couple months after warranty ran out.
    Local camera store sent it in for repair with a polite note from me
    explaining it was only a couple months over warranty.

    They replaced some electronics and the tube. (Minolta Toronto).

    Charge: shipping and handling (about $7).

    In 10+ years of Minolta use, covering the 6 lenses I own now (and
    several sold in the past), two camera bodies, 3 flashes and various
    doo-dads, I have no other equipment failures. I don't baby the
    equipment, nor do I abuse it).

    I think if you got on the phone and had a polite conversation with the
    right person that there is a good chance it would get resolved in your
    favour. If not, write a letter to Minolta telling them to shove in and
    why, and publish it far and wide on the internet.

    Cheers,
    Alan.
    --
    --e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--
    Alan Browne, Apr 21, 2004