Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by pooua@aol.com, Aug 17, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I am looking for a digital SLR for an upcoming vacation, and I am
    leaning towards the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D. I like the principle
    behind KM's anti-shake technology; I like the USB 2.0 port; I like the
    fact that it uses a CCD vs a CMOS sensor; I like the ISO 100 to ISO
    3200 range.

    I am not so keen on the physical size; I have always disliked the feel
    of these miniture cameras. However, I probably could use a lightweight
    camera, as it would reduce neckstrain.

    I am pricing lenses for the KM M5D. They are more expensive than I had
    expected, especially considering that KM's lenses don't need to include
    image stabilization (it's already built into the cameras). I would like
    to take at least one zoom lens and one wide-angle lens (I hope to do a
    lot of nature photography of a very 3-dimensional place).

    Of course, I have also looked at Nikon, Canon and Pentax. The KM is the
    only camera that (at least on the feature label) matches all of my
    desired attributes in a camera.

    I plan to take my other cameras with me on this trip, including my
    Canon EOS Rebel G film camera. Am I correct in assuming that the film
    and digital EOS cameras accept the same lenses? It would be nice to be
    able to interchange lenses, though that is not my highest priority
    right now.

    I am also looking for a reputable dealer. I am leaning toward B&H, but
    they haven't yet gotten the KM in stock. What others would you
    recommend?

    Thank you.
    , Aug 17, 2005

  2. wavelength Guest

    If you already have lenses in the EOS series, I'd stick with Canon. All
    the full frame lenses still work with the D series. And if Canon ever
    goes back to full frame, you'll still be good on lenses.
    wavelength, Aug 18, 2005

  3. wavelength Guest

    For any jokers, yes I know the 1ds MarkII and supposedly the 5d are
    full frame.
    wavelength, Aug 18, 2005
  4. Brian Baird Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I like the
    > fact that it uses a CCD vs a CMOS

    Not to interrupt, but why would this be an issue?
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
    Brian Baird, Aug 18, 2005
  5. Guest

    Brian Baird wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > I like the fact that it uses a CCD vs a CMOS

    > Not to interrupt, but why would this be an issue?

    CMOS is more susceptible to electronic noise or leakage, which shows as
    colored speckles in dark scenes. It does have the advantage of lower
    power consumption and cheaper manufacture.

    I believe that CCD produces superior images, being more light
    sensitive.
    , Aug 18, 2005
  6. wavelength wrote:
    > [] And if Canon ever goes back to full frame, you'll still be good on
    > lenses.

    Don't you mean "when"?
    David J Taylor, Aug 18, 2005
  7. wavelength Guest

    wrote:

    > CMOS is more susceptible to electronic noise or leakage, which shows as
    > colored speckles in dark scenes. It does have the advantage of lower
    > power consumption and cheaper manufacture.
    >
    > I believe that CCD produces superior images, being more light
    > sensitive.

    That's funny, I always thought it was the other way around. Maybe it's
    just the small for factor CCD's that cause all that noise at high
    ISO's. I'll have to look that up.
    wavelength, Aug 18, 2005
  8. Guest

    wavelength wrote:
    > wrote:
    > >
    > > CMOS is more susceptible to electronic noise or leakage, which shows as
    > > colored speckles in dark scenes. It does have the advantage of lower
    > > power consumption and cheaper manufacture.
    > >
    > > I believe that CCD produces superior images, being more light
    > > sensitive.

    > That's funny, I always thought it was the other way around. Maybe it's
    > just the small for factor CCD's that cause all that noise at high
    > ISO's. I'll have to look that up.

    "Both CCDs and CMOS imagers can offer excellent imaging performance
    when designed properly. CCDs have traditionally provided the
    performance benchmarks in the photographic, scientific, and industrial
    applications that demand the highest image quality (as measured in
    quantum efficiency and noise) at the expense of system size. CMOS
    imagers offer more integration (more functions on the chip), lower
    power dissipation (at the chip level), and the possibility of smaller
    system size, but they have often required tradeoffs between image
    quality and device cost. Today there is no clear line dividing the
    types of applications each can serve. CMOS designers have devoted
    intense effort to achieving high image quality, while CCD designers
    have lowered their power requirements and pixel sizes. As a result, you
    can find CCDs in low-cost low-power cellphone cameras and CMOS sensors
    in high-performance professional and industrial cameras, directly
    contradicting the early stereotypes."

    Dalsa: "CCD vs. CMOS"
    http://www.dalsa.com/markets/ccd_vs_cmos.asp

    "The charge-couple device (CCD) has been the preferred visible
    image-capture sensor technology in a variety of applications from
    consumer digital cameras to expensive scientific instruments primarily
    due to its relative low-noise operation. However, the CMOS-based
    paradigm today offers fundamental performance advantages including
    optimum bandwidth and higher sensitivity. CMOS image sensors available
    today offer the lowest noise, lowest power consumption, 12-bit ADC
    performance of any HD sensor on the market. These sensors contain
    photodetectors optimized for low dark current, high quantum efficiency
    and high uniformity that operate at high HDTV data rates with lower
    noise than any CCD alternative."

    "CMOS vs. CCD: Changing Technology to Suit HDTV Broadcast"
    http://hdtv.videotechnology.com/HDTV-CMOSvsCCD.htm
    , Aug 19, 2005
  9. Bill Tuthill Guest

    wrote:

    > I am pricing lenses for the KM M5D. They are more expensive than I had
    > expected, especially considering that KM's lenses don't need to include
    > image stabilization (it's already built into the cameras). I would like
    > to take at least one zoom lens and one wide-angle lens (I hope to do a
    > lot of nature photography of a very 3-dimensional place).

    You could get a Minolta 24-50/4 from KEH.com for $133 to $175 used,
    depending on condition. It is an excellent zoom lens, although it has
    rotating front element (on focus). It would be effectively a 36-75mm
    lens on the 5D. They also sell used 20/2.8 for $245 to $349.

    However I'm with everybody else who says stick with Canon.
    Bill Tuthill, Aug 19, 2005