    major in electrical engineering
    mechanized infantry reservist
    hordad AT otenet DOT gr
    Tzortzakakis Dimitris, Aug 26, 2010

  2. Tzortzakakis Dimitris

    John Turco Guest

    Tzortzakakis Dimitris wrote:

    > ...As another post to rec.video says, my Sony camcorder died (DCR HC 32-E -
    > mini DV) and as the Sony service sucks, it's not worth repairing (they
    > charge a flat rate of 50 euros just to looak at it-the screen is toast-plus
    > spare parts, plus work). So, I decided this time not to pay the Sony tax,
    > and after a small market research I decided that the JVC everio GZ-MS95SEU
    > is the one for me, 179 euros. What makes me wonder, though, is that in its
    > specs, says it has a Konica-Minolta lens. I thought that K-M went out of
    > business? Anyway, here's the spec URL, unfortunately only in german (the JVC
    > UK site doesn't have this model-it's a solid state SD camcorder with an
    > 800kpixel sensor).
    > <http://jdl.jvc-europe.com/product.php?id=GZ-MS95SEU&catid=100139&sub=feature#product-tabs>

    Oh, c'mon...those flash-based "camcorders" are little more than toys,
    are they not?

    In September of 2009, I'd stumbled upon a JVC "GR-DA30U" MiniDV unit,
    at a local K-Mart store. It was brand-new and being clearanced, at
    $80 USD. (The GR-DA30U's best feature is its 30x optical zoom, most
    probably.)

    Frankly, I only gave the JVC a brief test, back then (and haven't
    tried it, since). I was already aware that MiniDV provides the
    highest resolution, among these camcorder formats (i.e., better
    than the devices which use recordable DVD, hard disks or memory
    cards).

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Aug 30, 2010

  3. ? "John Turco" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > Tzortzakakis Dimitris wrote:
    >>
    >> ...As another post to rec.video says, my Sony camcorder died (DCR HC
    >> 32-E -
    >> mini DV) and as the Sony service sucks, it's not worth repairing (they
    >> charge a flat rate of 50 euros just to looak at it-the screen is
    >> toast-plus
    >> spare parts, plus work). So, I decided this time not to pay the Sony tax,
    >> and after a small market research I decided that the JVC everio
    >> GZ-MS95SEU
    >> is the one for me, 179 euros. What makes me wonder, though, is that in
    >> its
    >> specs, says it has a Konica-Minolta lens. I thought that K-M went out of
    >> business? Anyway, here's the spec URL, unfortunately only in german (the
    >> JVC
    >> UK site doesn't have this model-it's a solid state SD camcorder with an
    >> 800kpixel sensor).
    >> <http://jdl.jvc-europe.com/product.php?id=GZ-MS95SEU&catid=100139&sub=feature#product-tabs>

    > Oh, c'mon...those flash-based "camcorders" are little more than toys,
    > are they not?
    >
    > In September of 2009, I'd stumbled upon a JVC "GR-DA30U" MiniDV unit,
    > at a local K-Mart store. It was brand-new and being clearanced, at
    > $80 USD. (The GR-DA30U's best feature is its 30x optical zoom, most
    > probably.)
    >
    > Frankly, I only gave the JVC a brief test, back then (and haven't
    > tried it, since). I was already aware that MiniDV provides the
    > highest resolution, among these camcorder formats (i.e., better
    > than the devices which use recordable DVD, hard disks or memory
    > cards).

    I don't know if they're more than toys, that one seems good enough. It was
    impossible to find any tape based camcorders in any shop I visited here.
    Only a cheap-looking Samsung one, for 160 euros in Germanos. They don't even
    have any that write on DVDs directly. It's all memory card and hard drives
    now. The only mini DV one I saw was a 3 CCD Panasonic, but that was 700
    euros and I can't afford that, and besides I just want to film my niece (3
    1/2), I don't want anything really serious, like an amateur film or
    whatever. And I have become tired with tapes;I must always have one empty at
    hand, and they take up too much space, their only advantage is they being an
    archive, but except precious events this is useless.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    Tzortzakakis Dimitris, Aug 31, 2010
  4. Tzortzakakis Dimitris

    John Turco Guest

    Tzortzakakis Dimitris wrote:

    > ? "John Turco" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > > Tzortzakakis Dimitris wrote:
    > >>
    > >> ...As another post to rec.video says, my Sony camcorder died (DCR HC
    > >> 32-E - mini DV) and as the Sony service sucks, it's not worth repairing
    > >> (they charge a flat rate of 50 euros just to looak at it-the screen is
    > >> toast-plus spare parts, plus work). So, I decided this time not to pay
    > >> the Sony tax, and after a small market research I decided that the JVC
    > >> everio GZ-MS95SEU is the one for me, 179 euros. What makes me wonder,
    > >> though, is that in its specs, says it has a Konica-Minolta lens. I
    > >> thought that K-M went out of business? Anyway, here's the spec URL,
    > >> unfortunately only in german (the JVC UK site doesn't have this
    > >> model-it's a solid state SD camcorder with an 800kpixel sensor).
    > >> <http://jdl.jvc-europe.com/product.php?id=GZ-MS95SEU&catid=100139&sub=feature#product-tabs>

    > > Oh, c'mon...those flash-based "camcorders" are little more than toys,
    > > are they not?
    > >
    > > In September of 2009, I'd stumbled upon a JVC "GR-DA30U" MiniDV unit,
    > > at a local K-Mart store. It was brand-new and being clearanced, at
    > > $80 USD. (The GR-DA30U's best feature is its 30x optical zoom, most
    > > probably.)
    > >
    > > Frankly, I only gave the JVC a brief test, back then (and haven't
    > > tried it, since). I was already aware that MiniDV provides the
    > > highest resolution, among these camcorder formats (i.e., better
    > > than the devices which use recordable DVD, hard disks or memory
    > > cards).

    > I don't know if they're more than toys, that one seems good enough. It was
    > impossible to find any tape based camcorders in any shop I visited here.
    > Only a cheap-looking Samsung one, for 160 euros in Germanos. They don't even
    > have any that write on DVDs directly. It's all memory card and hard drives
    > now. The only mini DV one I saw was a 3 CCD Panasonic, but that was 700
    > euros and I can't afford that, and besides I just want to film my niece (3
    > 1/2), I don't want anything really serious, like an amateur film or
    > whatever. And I have become tired with tapes;I must always have one empty at
    > hand, and they take up too much space, their only advantage is they being an
    > archive, but except precious events this is useless.

    Okay, I forgot that MiniDV camcorders have been phased out. (Which
    is why K-Mart was selling the GR-DA30U, so cheaply.)

    Too bad, as MiniDV's "replacements" are generally pretty crummy.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Sep 6, 2010