Konica Minolta DiMAGE E40 vs Nikon Coolpix 4200

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chaddy, Feb 21, 2005.

  1. Chaddy

    Chaddy Guest

    Hi all,

    I thought I'd give this forum a go with my problem. My 2 year old has
    dropped my Ricoh Caplio RR30 and did me a huge favour...I never did like the
    quality of images from it.

    So off to the shops I go with the following list:
    - SD compatible
    - Li-ion battery (included)
    - At least 4mp
    - Short shutter lag
    - Serviceable flash (the Caplio was rubbish!)
    - Metal body

    The Cannon IXUS40 was on top of my list, but $599 (Australian dollars) is a
    little out of my range.

    The Konica DiMAGE E40 looked and felt good, and at $469 was affordable. Not
    sure about image quality though, as the only review I can find is not
    complimentary. Anyone have this camera?

    The Nikon Coolpix 4200 is a bit bigger, but looks to have better reviews.

    Any thoughts on both of these? Any other suggestions? I really don't want
    to be left with another Caplio!!

    Thanks,

    Chaddy
    Chaddy, Feb 21, 2005

  2. Chaddy

    Dave E Guest

    "Chaddy" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I thought I'd give this forum a go with my problem. My 2 year old has
    > dropped my Ricoh Caplio RR30 and did me a huge favour...I never did like

    the
    > quality of images from it.
    >
    > So off to the shops I go with the following list:
    > - SD compatible
    > - Li-ion battery (included)
    > - At least 4mp
    > - Short shutter lag
    > - Serviceable flash (the Caplio was rubbish!)
    > - Metal body
    >
    > The Cannon IXUS40 was on top of my list, but $599 (Australian dollars) is

    > little out of my range.
    >
    > The Konica DiMAGE E40 looked and felt good, and at $469 was affordable.

    Not
    > sure about image quality though, as the only review I can find is not
    > complimentary. Anyone have this camera?
    >
    > The Nikon Coolpix 4200 is a bit bigger, but looks to have better reviews.
    >
    > Any thoughts on both of these? Any other suggestions? I really don't

    want
    > to be left with another Caplio!!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Chaddy

    Hi Chaddy,
    I have a Minolta G400, G600 and Nikon 4200, well actually I bought the
    latter for my wife last Christmas. All cameras give excellent pictures
    however its the Nikon that is used most. It really is a delight to use. You
    don't have to go into the menu select screens at all. The menu select wheel
    is on the top of the camera. Just like the "real" thing.
    Once in the menu you have a mass of options most of which you probably wont
    use, but they're there if you need them. One of these functions is a "Golden
    Mean" type display. Two parallel horizontal and vertical lines superimposed
    on the screen to help keep verticals vertical and horizontals...you get the
    idea. Also helps to take "pleasing" photographs if subject is placed on the
    intersection of the lines.
    The Nikon also handles awkward flash photography better. For instance at a
    party we attended on December 26 the Nikons pictures of people dancing in
    dim lighting with flashing strobes were perfect. Most of the Minoltas was
    blurred. Probably my fault, but as I took both sets of photos I would say
    the Nikon handled my deficiencies better.
    For a better idea visit http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/e3200/01/00.html
    not the same camera as the 4200 but everything applies.
    BTW I'm not a Nikon devotee as I'll soon be buying a Canon 20D.
    Would I buy all three cameras again? Yes. Which one would I recommend? The
    Nikon. Purely for ease of use.
    HTH.
    Dave.
    Dave E, Feb 21, 2005

  3. Chaddy

    Chaddy Guest

    "Dave E" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > on the screen to help keep verticals vertical and horizontals...you get

    the
    > idea. Also helps to take "pleasing" photographs if subject is placed on

    the
    > intersection of the lines.
    > The Nikon also handles awkward flash photography better. For instance at a
    > party we attended on December 26 the Nikons pictures of people dancing in
    > dim lighting with flashing strobes were perfect. Most of the Minoltas was
    > blurred. Probably my fault, but as I took both sets of photos I would say
    > the Nikon handled my deficiencies better.
    > For a better idea visit http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/e3200/01/00.html
    > not the same camera as the 4200 but everything applies.
    > BTW I'm not a Nikon devotee as I'll soon be buying a Canon 20D.
    > Would I buy all three cameras again? Yes. Which one would I recommend? The

    Thanks for your views Dave, much appreciated!
    Chaddy, Feb 22, 2005