    on as administrator), the message is something to the effect that the
    software isn't made for the OS and I'd like to see if it will install
    in X64 but I'm WAAAAAAY too lazy to install X64 to see if it works...

    David R. Norton MVP, May 6, 2006

  2. I see it fails during installation. This terminates the spooler process.
    The strange thing is the driver does get installed. Once I restart the
    spooler process the printer is there. I am unsure how much of the driver
    actually got installed since I do not have this device.

    Buffer overflows are bad news. I'll pass on this info to one the Project
    managers for printing here to contact Konica.

    STATUS_STACK_BUFFER_OVERRUN encountered
    (968.edc): Break instruction exception - code 80000003 (first chance)
    ntdll!DbgBreakPoint:
    00000000`7759c0c0 cc int 3
    in this binary MLTSRV_S!

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    Alan Morris [MSFT], May 6, 2006

  3. "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <> wrote in

    > I see it fails during installation. This terminates the spooler
    > process. The strange thing is the driver does get installed. Once
    > I restart the spooler process the printer is there. I am unsure
    > how much of the driver actually got installed since I do not have
    > this device.
    >
    > Buffer overflows are bad news. I'll pass on this info to one the
    > Project managers for printing here to contact Konica.
    >
    > STATUS_STACK_BUFFER_OVERRUN encountered
    > (968.edc): Break instruction exception - code 80000003 (first
    > chance) ntdll!DbgBreakPoint:
    > 00000000`7759c0c0 cc int 3
    > in this binary MLTSRV_S!

    Hmmmm, didn't get that?

    It gets weirder. I went back to Vista64 and checked the printers
    folder, no evidence that it installed anything so, rather than run the
    installer again I extracted the .exe file to a temp directory and
    started the "Install new printer" wizard, told it to use the USB port,
    etc. etc. and then selected the "Have Disk" option and pointed it at
    the .inf file in the temp directory.

    Good news! The printer installed with no error, looking at
    "properties" all is good, selecting "Print Test Page and....

    Bad news! No print, nothing, nada, zip so rebooted and....

    Good news! When Vista came up the printer started and printed the test
    pages I'd tried to print before, they were perfect! So I tried to
    print again and....

    Bad news! Won't print!

    It seems I can queue stuff up and it'll print next time I start Vista?

    Someone smarter than me will have to figure this out.

    David R. Norton MVP, May 6, 2006
  4. Looks like Alan has a point there - accessing the printer turns off the
    spooler, re-booting, again activates the spooler - it seems this is the kind
    of irratic behaviour you see with parallel and conflicting installations,
    like two different kind of burner software. Did you ever try any other ways
    of making this printer work? It would seem natural, and perhaps some of that
    old stuff is still sitting there and try and co-exist with the new (and
    proper) installation?

    Just a hunch.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 6, 2006
  5. "Tony Sperling" <> wrote in

    > Looks like Alan has a point there - accessing the printer turns
    > off the spooler, re-booting, again activates the spooler - it
    > seems this is the kind of irratic behaviour you see with parallel
    > and conflicting installations, like two different kind of burner
    > software. Did you ever try any other ways of making this printer
    > work?

    What other way is there? I'm not sure what you mean? I've just
    downloaded the latest build and I'll get it burned, installed and see
    what happens then, I can't imagine it would be any different but
    there's always hope....

    David R. Norton MVP, May 6, 2006
  6. O.K. - I was thinking that you'd take care and remove any other (and older)
    attempts at having it print anything. Printing - in this here group, has for
    quite some time been a question of taking pot shots at Fortune in trying out
    drivers from types of printers that had enough features in common to allow
    at least basic printing. Some times it would work and other times not. If
    it didn't, I think it would be wise to remove every trace of it. If you
    habitually clean install every new version of your OS, that should not be an
    issue, but upgrading(?) and you might perpetuate any possible conflict. And
    some times you do see some strange effects from conflicting driver
    installations!

    As the driver is completely new, and the OS is Beta - there really is no way
    of knowing or even guessing. Testing long shots is perhaps the best option
    left for us?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 6, 2006
  7. "Tony Sperling" <> wrote in

    > O.K. - I was thinking that you'd take care and remove any other
    > (and older) attempts at having it print anything.

    Can't, I'm not allowed to delete anything that's queued. It's obvious
    to me that the installation is FUBAR. I could delete the printer
    entirely and start over but.......

    I'm downloading the new build and I'll start again with it, if I can
    burn the thing. I'm getting an error message that the ISO is too big
    for the DVD. Gotta get that figured out first. The 32bit version of
    5381 is smaller because it's an unstaged version but I've no intention
    of installing it, I haven't time enough to fool with two versions.

    David R. Norton MVP, May 6, 2006
  8. "David R. Norton MVP" <> wrote in

    > "Tony Sperling" <> wrote in
    >
    >> O.K. - I was thinking that you'd take care and remove any other
    >> (and older) attempts at having it print anything.

    > Can't, I'm not allowed to delete anything that's queued. It's
    > obvious to me that the installation is FUBAR. I could delete the
    > printer entirely and start over but.......
    >
    > I'm downloading the new build and I'll start again with it, if I
    > can burn the thing. I'm getting an error message that the ISO is
    > too big for the DVD. Gotta get that figured out first. The 32bit
    > version of 5381 is smaller because it's an unstaged version but
    > I've no intention of installing it, I haven't time enough to fool
    > with two versions.

    OK, figured it out. I need a dual layer DVD and burner so... no build
    5381 for me.

    David R. Norton MVP, May 7, 2006
  9. David R. Norton MVP

    BC Guest

    Hello,

    I am on the team that produced the drivers for the DL-series of printers,
    and I have no information on availability of W-series drivers, as they are
    produced elsewhere in the company.

    64-bit drivers for the DL-series have been availble for over a year
    (unidrv-version): 2430DL, 5430DL and 5440DL. The company just released our
    zenographics-based 64-bit drivers for the same printers earlier this year.

    The 2400W is supposed to use the same data-stream as the 2430DL. If you
    install the 64-bit 2430DL drivers to FILE:, create a TCP/IP port with the
    printer's IP address, assign that port to the 2430DL drivers, then you
    should be able to print on the 2400W. I have no idea what the differences
    are between the W and DL series, so features may be available or absent in
    the 2430DL UI that are not no-available or present on the 2400W. If USB is
    required, then the vendor-id/model-id from the 2400W .INF has to be placed
    in the 2430DL .INF, which may get the printer installed. We have not done
    any testing with the W-series printers, so this is just an idea that may
    work.

    Others in our group have been testing our DL drivers with Windows Vista, and
    we seem to have had a problem with permissions on WINDOWS \ TEMP that
    prevents printing under certain circumstances. I think things were working
    about 4 months ago, if that is a hint.

    I recall being in contact with the someone regarding this printer.
    Unfortunately, I have been much too busy with getting the DL versions out
    the door, and never had the time -- or the printer, for that matter -- to
    see if the DL drivers would work with the W-series printers.

    I am interested in any reports regarding installation and operation under
    Vista, 32- or 64-bit, of our DL drivers.

    BC.

    "David R. Norton MVP" <> wrote in message
    > "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I see it fails during installation. This terminates the spooler
    > > process. The strange thing is the driver does get installed. Once
    > > I restart the spooler process the printer is there. I am unsure
    > > how much of the driver actually got installed since I do not have
    > > this device.
    > >
    > > Buffer overflows are bad news. I'll pass on this info to one the
    > > Project managers for printing here to contact Konica.
    > >
    > > STATUS_STACK_BUFFER_OVERRUN encountered
    > > (968.edc): Break instruction exception - code 80000003 (first
    > > chance) ntdll!DbgBreakPoint:
    > > 00000000`7759c0c0 cc int 3
    > > in this binary MLTSRV_S!

    > Hmmmm, didn't get that?
    >
    > It gets weirder. I went back to Vista64 and checked the printers
    > folder, no evidence that it installed anything so, rather than run the
    > installer again I extracted the .exe file to a temp directory and
    > started the "Install new printer" wizard, told it to use the USB port,
    > etc. etc. and then selected the "Have Disk" option and pointed it at
    > the .inf file in the temp directory.
    >
    > Good news! The printer installed with no error, looking at
    > "properties" all is good, selecting "Print Test Page and....
    >
    > Bad news! No print, nothing, nada, zip so rebooted and....
    >
    > Good news! When Vista came up the printer started and printed the test
    > pages I'd tried to print before, they were perfect! So I tried to
    > print again and....
    >
    > Bad news! Won't print!
    >
    > It seems I can queue stuff up and it'll print next time I start Vista?
    >
    > Someone smarter than me will have to figure this out.

    Regarding Windows Vista: others in our group have been testing our drivers,
    and things were working about 4 months ago, but are now .

    BC, May 8, 2006
  10. BC:

    same bug with the 2430DL. I have some additional info on this issue

    I work with Wai Ee Pan in MSKK and Jon Clavin in US.

    STATUS_STACK_BUFFER_OVERRUN encountered
    (db0.7a0): Break instruction exception - code 80000003 (first chance)
    ntdll!DbgBreakPoint:
    00000000`7759c0c0 cc int 3
    0:005> k
    Child-SP RetAddr Call Site
    00000000`04abbb98 00000000`773cc76c ntdll!DbgBreakPoint
    *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for
    D:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\MLTS
    RV03.dll -
    00000000`04abbba0 00000000`0fdac2f3 kernel32!UnhandledExceptionFilter+0x99
    00000000`04abbcc0 00000000`0fdb1593 MLTSRV03!SDDMMLTUpdateWatermark+0x2c3
    00000000`04abc260 00000000`0fda1d61 MLTSRV03!SDDMMLTFlushTextTable+0x51b3
    00000000`04abc290 ffffffff`ffffffff MLTSRV03+0x1d61

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    Alan Morris [MSFT], May 8, 2006
  11. "BC" <> wrote in message

    > The 2400W is supposed to use the same data-stream as the 2430DL. If you
    > install the 64-bit 2430DL drivers to FILE:, create a TCP/IP port with the
    > printer's IP address, assign that port to the 2430DL drivers, then you
    > should be able to print on the 2400W.

    Apparently they're totally different printers, the 2430 driver is also
    present in various Linux distros and it will NOT work with the 2400W which
    is a Windows printer and depends heavily on using files already existing in
    Windows. The 2430 driver also fails to function with Vista 64 so far but I
    had to stop my experimenting for now.

    David R. Norton MVP Shell/User, May 10, 2006
  12. I found someone who has made the Konica Minolta contact to inform them of
    the driver failure.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    Alan Morris [MSFT], May 11, 2006
  13. "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <> wrote in

    > I found someone who has made the Konica Minolta contact to inform
    > them of the driver failure.

    I've been emailing their tech support for some time now. I don't know
    if there IS a driver failure, the driver is represented as working in
    X64 and I can't test it there. I do know it doesn't work in Vista 64
    but that's somewhat of a different animal...

    David R. Norton MVP, May 11, 2006