KOL & news.individual.net

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Paora, Jan 21, 2005.

  1. Paora

    Paora Guest

    A request for 60 headers for 9 newsgroups took 8 minutes to
    download 60 headers for 3 of those groups and 40 headers from the next
    group before disconnecting me - and that's typical.

    Support response to a query about slow news.individual.net
    connections, 'it's slow because it's an overseas connection and you're
    on 56k dialup'
    - don't you just love the bullshit that comes from isp support. :)

    Anyway, it's safe to say that at this time KOL is a crap service at a
    cheapish price. At least it no longer takes 30 attempts to get
    connected like it did a week ago but the service is too inconsistent
    to recommend to anyone but the most patient or those with lots of
    time to wait. Web browsing is slow one minute and normal the next -
    file downloads stop before completing more often than not - ftp is
    just as bad and news.individual.net had been covered already.

    Just in case anyone was wondering.
    Rating: 2 out of 10 for the cheap price.

    Paora, Jan 21, 2005

  2. Paora

    Kookaburra Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:34:35 GMT, (Paora) wrote:

    >A request for 60 headers for 9 newsgroups took 8 minutes to
    >download 60 headers for 3 of those groups and 40 headers from the next
    >group before disconnecting me - and that's typical.

    I couldn't download any headers using KOL or Paradise and TeraNews
    this morning.

    >Support response to a query about slow news.individual.net
    >connections, 'it's slow because it's an overseas connection and you're
    >on 56k dialup'
    > - don't you just love the bullshit that comes from isp support. :)
    >
    >Anyway, it's safe to say that at this time KOL is a crap service at a
    >cheapish price. At least it no longer takes 30 attempts to get
    >connected like it did a week ago but the service is too inconsistent
    >to recommend to anyone but the most patient or those with lots of
    >time to wait. Web browsing is slow one minute and normal the next -
    >file downloads stop before completing more often than not - ftp is
    >just as bad and news.individual.net had been covered already.

    I can connect with KOL faster than I can with Paradise and I've never
    been booted yet. However KOL was really slow last night after 9pm
    that I gave up and went back to Paradise. This morning I gave up
    using it again as I can't get the groups.

    >Just in case anyone was wondering.
    >Rating: 2 out of 10 for the cheap price.

    My rating after 2 days trial is 2 out of 10.

    Cheers, Kooky

    Kookaburra, Jan 21, 2005

  3. Paora

    voice99

    Joined:
    May 24, 2008
    Messages:
    4
    KOL is good at buying tv advertising but crap at providing an Internet connection. At 9.95 a month its still a rip off.

    voice99, May 24, 2008