    appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help!

    Regards,

    Lou

    Lou, Feb 1, 2007

  2. Lou

    Cgiorgio Guest

    "Lou" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:Xns98CA83AA16BE8garfieldanetcom@216.168.3.44...
    >I am a newbie to these new digital cameras and I just purchased a Kodak
    > Z612 Digital Camera. I just did a couple trial pictures of my cats and
    > they look beautiful!! This is an Easyshare Camera by Kodak so I am
    > using the Easyshare Software. This camera has an internal memory and I
    > see that if I want to take a large number of pictures, video clips, or
    > a combination of ... I will need to purchase a memory card. I just
    > looked at Kodak and they have two available SD Memory Cards (Kodak
    > brand) for 1GB. The one card goes for $69 and the "Premium" Card goes
    > for $84. I was wondering whether to spen the extra $$$ for a "Premium"
    > card or not. Anyone have the Kodak Z612 Camera too? My Son is getting
    > married soon and I'd like to use this camera for some extra wedding
    > pictures and mocie clips so that is why I chose the 1GB Card. Any
    > thoughts or suggestions on choosing a memory card would be much
    > appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help!
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Lou

    There is a standard set for SD memory cards set by the SD card association
    (www.sdcard.org). Any memory card carrying the official SD logo and not
    exceeding 2 GB of capacity should be compatible with your camera. Any place
    selling digital cameras should have them. There is probably no advantage in
    write speed with the Kodak Z - series camera when uyou use a so called "high
    speed" version, recent standard SD cards are also relatively fast. Brands
    known to be reliable include SanDisk, Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic, Transcend
    and a few others. Just look in local photo shops, supermarkets or drug
    stores. You should be able to buy a brand name 1 GB SD card for around US$
    20 a 2 GB at or below US$ 40.

    Cgiorgio, Feb 1, 2007

  3. Lou

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 18:56:36 +0000, Lou wrote:

    > I am a newbie to these new digital cameras and I just purchased a Kodak
    > Z612 Digital Camera. I just did a couple trial pictures of my cats and
    > they look beautiful!! This is an Easyshare Camera by Kodak so I am
    > using the Easyshare Software. This camera has an internal memory and I
    > see that if I want to take a large number of pictures, video clips, or
    > a combination of ... I will need to purchase a memory card. I just
    > looked at Kodak and they have two available SD Memory Cards (Kodak
    > brand) for 1GB. The one card goes for $69 and the "Premium" Card goes
    > for $84. I was wondering whether to spen the extra $$$ for a "Premium"
    > card or not. Anyone have the Kodak Z612 Camera too? My Son is getting
    > married soon and I'd like to use this camera for some extra wedding
    > pictures and mocie clips so that is why I chose the 1GB Card. Any
    > thoughts or suggestions on choosing a memory card would be much
    > appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help!
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Lou

    I recently purchased a Kodak P850. I went to OfficeMax (or was it Staples)
    and bought a 1gb SD card for $20. I later got a 2gb SD from OfficeMax
    during their online Thanksgiving sale for $25. Works fine.

    ray, Feb 1, 2007
  4. Lou

    Roy G Guest

    "Lou" <> wrote in message
    >I am a newbie to these new digital cameras and I just purchased a Kodak
    > Z612 Digital Camera. I just did a couple trial pictures of my cats and
    > they look beautiful!! This is an Easyshare Camera by Kodak so I am
    > using the Easyshare Software. This camera has an internal memory and I
    > see that if I want to take a large number of pictures, video clips, or
    > a combination of ... I will need to purchase a memory card. I just
    > looked at Kodak and they have two available SD Memory Cards (Kodak
    > brand) for 1GB. The one card goes for $69 and the "Premium" Card goes
    > for $84. I was wondering whether to spen the extra $$$ for a "Premium"
    > card or not. Anyone have the Kodak Z612 Camera too? My Son is getting
    > married soon and I'd like to use this camera for some extra wedding
    > pictures and mocie clips so that is why I chose the 1GB Card. Any
    > thoughts or suggestions on choosing a memory card would be much
    > appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help!
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Lou

    Hi

    Strange as it may seem, the God of the Big Yellow Box, does not make any
    kind of Memory Card.

    They just get their Yellow Labels stuck on to someone elses card and charge
    extra, because they know that a fair number of mugs will not know enough to
    go and buy a card from one of the Companies who actually make them.

    Just like they told everyone in the days of film to only ever put Kodak Film
    in their Cameras.

    So if you want to pay Kodak 3 times the price, on you go.

    I much prefer to put Lexar, Sandisc, or even PNY or Kingston in my Nikon.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Feb 2, 2007
  5. Lou

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Lou wrote:
    > I am a newbie to these new digital cameras and I just purchased a Kodak
    > Z612 Digital Camera. I just did a couple trial pictures of my cats and
    > they look beautiful!! This is an Easyshare Camera by Kodak so I am
    > using the Easyshare Software. This camera has an internal memory and I
    > see that if I want to take a large number of pictures, video clips, or
    > a combination of ... I will need to purchase a memory card. I just
    > looked at Kodak and they have two available SD Memory Cards (Kodak
    > brand) for 1GB. The one card goes for $69 and the "Premium" Card goes
    > for $84. I was wondering whether to spen the extra $$$ for a "Premium"
    > card or not. Anyone have the Kodak Z612 Camera too? My Son is getting
    > married soon and I'd like to use this camera for some extra wedding
    > pictures and mocie clips so that is why I chose the 1GB Card. Any
    > thoughts or suggestions on choosing a memory card would be much
    > appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help!
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Lou

    DON'T BUY THE KODAK CARDS!

    Since you can, assuming you live in the US, find 1GB cards for under
    $20, there is NO POINT in spending 3 or 4 times that for a card.
    Believe me, there is no significant difference between the $20 card you
    can buy at CVS pharmacy, and the card Kodak sells for $84 in your camera.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 2, 2007
  6. Lou

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Lou wrote:
    >> I am a newbie to these new digital cameras and I just purchased a
    >> Kodak Z612 Digital Camera. I just did a couple trial pictures of my
    >> cats and they look beautiful!! This is an Easyshare Camera by Kodak so
    >> I am using the Easyshare Software. This camera has an internal memory
    >> and I see that if I want to take a large number of pictures, video
    >> clips, or a combination of ... I will need to purchase a memory card.
    >> I just looked at Kodak and they have two available SD Memory Cards
    >> (Kodak brand) for 1GB. The one card goes for $69 and the "Premium"
    >> Card goes for $84. I was wondering whether to spen the extra $$$ for a
    >> "Premium" card or not. Anyone have the Kodak Z612 Camera too? My Son
    >> is getting married soon and I'd like to use this camera for some extra
    >> wedding pictures and mocie clips so that is why I chose the 1GB Card.
    >> Any thoughts or suggestions on choosing a memory card would be much
    >> appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help!
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Lou

    > DON'T BUY THE KODAK CARDS!
    >
    > Since you can, assuming you live in the US, find 1GB cards for under
    > $20, there is NO POINT in spending 3 or 4 times that for a card. Believe
    > me, there is no significant difference between the $20 card you can buy
    > at CVS pharmacy, and the card Kodak sells for $84 in your camera.

    Hi...

    I'd respectfully suggest that the OP buy not one, but two cards.
    Perhaps three if the budget allows.

    Then during significant shoots, such as his boy's wedding, change cards
    once in a while, preferably during a lull in each of the events.
    (coming out of the church, shoot a few, change cards, and continue
    shooting)

    Just as it's unwise to put all of our eggs in one basket, it's also
    unwise to put all of our pics in one card :)

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Feb 2, 2007
  7. Lou

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ken Weitzel wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> Lou wrote:
    >>> I am a newbie to these new digital cameras and I just purchased a
    >>> Kodak Z612 Digital Camera. I just did a couple trial pictures of my
    >>> cats and they look beautiful!! This is an Easyshare Camera by Kodak
    >>> so I am using the Easyshare Software. This camera has an internal
    >>> memory and I see that if I want to take a large number of pictures,
    >>> video clips, or a combination of ... I will need to purchase a memory
    >>> card. I just looked at Kodak and they have two available SD Memory
    >>> Cards (Kodak brand) for 1GB. The one card goes for $69 and the
    >>> "Premium" Card goes for $84. I was wondering whether to spen the
    >>> extra $$$ for a "Premium" card or not. Anyone have the Kodak Z612
    >>> Camera too? My Son is getting married soon and I'd like to use this
    >>> camera for some extra wedding pictures and mocie clips so that is why
    >>> I chose the 1GB Card. Any thoughts or suggestions on choosing a
    >>> memory card would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance for any
    >>> help!
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Lou

    >> DON'T BUY THE KODAK CARDS!
    >>
    >> Since you can, assuming you live in the US, find 1GB cards for under
    >> $20, there is NO POINT in spending 3 or 4 times that for a card.
    >> Believe me, there is no significant difference between the $20 card
    >> you can buy at CVS pharmacy, and the card Kodak sells for $84 in your
    >> camera.

    > Hi...
    >
    > I'd respectfully suggest that the OP buy not one, but two cards. Perhaps
    > three if the budget allows.
    >
    > Then during significant shoots, such as his boy's wedding, change cards
    > once in a while, preferably during a lull in each of the events.
    > (coming out of the church, shoot a few, change cards, and continue
    > shooting)
    >
    > Just as it's unwise to put all of our eggs in one basket, it's also
    > unwise to put all of our pics in one card :)
    >
    > Take care.
    >
    > Ken

    And put the cards in a safe place. The little buggers are easy to lose!

    Ron Hunter, Feb 2, 2007
  8. Lou

    Lou Guest

    "Cgiorgio" <> wrote in

    > "Lou" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >>I am a newbie to these new digital cameras and I just purchased a
    >>Kodak
    >> Z612 Digital Camera. I just did a couple trial pictures of my
    >> cats and they look beautiful!! This is an Easyshare Camera by
    >> Kodak so I am using the Easyshare Software. This camera has an
    >> internal memory and I see that if I want to take a large number
    >> of pictures, video clips, or a combination of ... I will need to
    >> purchase a memory card. I just looked at Kodak and they have two
    >> available SD Memory Cards (Kodak brand) for 1GB. The one card
    >> goes for $69 and the "Premium" Card goes for $84. I was wondering
    >> whether to spen the extra $$$ for a "Premium" card or not. Anyone
    >> have the Kodak Z612 Camera too? My Son is getting married soon
    >> and I'd like to use this camera for some extra wedding pictures
    >> and mocie clips so that is why I chose the 1GB Card. Any thoughts
    >> or suggestions on choosing a memory card would be much
    >> appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help!
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Lou

    > There is a standard set for SD memory cards set by the SD card
    > association (www.sdcard.org). Any memory card carrying the
    > official SD logo and not exceeding 2 GB of capacity should be
    > compatible with your camera. Any place selling digital cameras
    > should have them. There is probably no advantage in write speed
    > with the Kodak Z - series camera when uyou use a so called "high
    > speed" version, recent standard SD cards are also relatively fast.
    > Brands known to be reliable include SanDisk, Samsung, Toshiba,
    > Panasonic, Transcend and a few others. Just look in local photo
    > shops, supermarkets or drug stores. You should be able to buy a
    > brand name 1 GB SD card for around US$ 20 a 2 GB at or below US$
    > 40.

    Thank you and the other persons who responded so well and quickly toi
    my Memory Card question on my new Kodak Z612. I love the pictures it
    takes and now I, like all of you get the 1GB SD Card from any of the
    local stores that run a good sale ... and thanks for the added clue
    that Kodak just attaches it name to a SD Card (as other companies do
    as well in their product lines).

    As I understand it from your response, the SD Card that is called a
    "Premium Card" just stores the pics and videos faster and that is it
    so I will stick to just a standard 1GB Card.

    I dont think the Kodak Z612 will take a 2GB Card but I will
    definitely check that out. I plan to take a lot of video clips and
    pictures at my Son's wedding later this year so if I can use the 2GB
    Card all the better!!

    Thanks again for the good information!

    Lou

    Lou, Feb 2, 2007
  9. Lou

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Lou wrote:
    > "Cgiorgio" <> wrote in
    >
    >> "Lou" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >>> I am a newbie to these new digital cameras and I just purchased a
    >>> Kodak
    >>> Z612 Digital Camera. I just did a couple trial pictures of my
    >>> cats and they look beautiful!! This is an Easyshare Camera by
    >>> Kodak so I am using the Easyshare Software. This camera has an
    >>> internal memory and I see that if I want to take a large number
    >>> of pictures, video clips, or a combination of ... I will need to
    >>> purchase a memory card. I just looked at Kodak and they have two
    >>> available SD Memory Cards (Kodak brand) for 1GB. The one card
    >>> goes for $69 and the "Premium" Card goes for $84. I was wondering
    >>> whether to spen the extra $$$ for a "Premium" card or not. Anyone
    >>> have the Kodak Z612 Camera too? My Son is getting married soon
    >>> and I'd like to use this camera for some extra wedding pictures
    >>> and mocie clips so that is why I chose the 1GB Card. Any thoughts
    >>> or suggestions on choosing a memory card would be much
    >>> appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help!
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Lou

    >> There is a standard set for SD memory cards set by the SD card
    >> association (www.sdcard.org). Any memory card carrying the
    >> official SD logo and not exceeding 2 GB of capacity should be
    >> compatible with your camera. Any place selling digital cameras
    >> should have them. There is probably no advantage in write speed
    >> with the Kodak Z - series camera when uyou use a so called "high
    >> speed" version, recent standard SD cards are also relatively fast.
    >> Brands known to be reliable include SanDisk, Samsung, Toshiba,
    >> Panasonic, Transcend and a few others. Just look in local photo
    >> shops, supermarkets or drug stores. You should be able to buy a
    >> brand name 1 GB SD card for around US$ 20 a 2 GB at or below US$
    >> 40.
    >>

    > Thank you and the other persons who responded so well and quickly toi
    > my Memory Card question on my new Kodak Z612. I love the pictures it
    > takes and now I, like all of you get the 1GB SD Card from any of the
    > local stores that run a good sale ... and thanks for the added clue
    > that Kodak just attaches it name to a SD Card (as other companies do
    > as well in their product lines).
    >
    > As I understand it from your response, the SD Card that is called a
    > "Premium Card" just stores the pics and videos faster and that is it
    > so I will stick to just a standard 1GB Card.
    >
    > I dont think the Kodak Z612 will take a 2GB Card but I will
    > definitely check that out. I plan to take a lot of video clips and
    > pictures at my Son's wedding later this year so if I can use the 2GB
    > Card all the better!!
    >
    > Thanks again for the good information!
    >
    > Lou

    Lou,
    I agree with the 'too many eggs in one basket' warning. Better two
    1GB cards...

    Ron Hunter, Feb 3, 2007
  10. Lou

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 22:13:08 -0000, Lou wrote:

    > As I understand it from your response, the SD Card that is called a
    > "Premium Card" just stores the pics and videos faster and that is it
    > so I will stick to just a standard 1GB Card.
    >
    > I dont think the Kodak Z612 will take a 2GB Card but I will
    > definitely check that out. I plan to take a lot of video clips and
    > pictures at my Son's wedding later this year so if I can use the 2GB
    > Card all the better!!

    In that case maybe you should find out if a slower card might
    cause video problems. Two things to look out for are first, that if
    a memory card is too slow to keep up, the saved video will have
    occasional dropouts. A slower card will have even more dropouts.
    The second problem I'd guess would be unlikely in a modern camera,
    but some older ones the didn't use fast memory cards would create
    dropout-free videos only until the camera's internal memory buffer
    was full, and would then stop recording and save whatever video was
    captured to that point, which might limit the video length to no
    more than a couple of minutes, if that.

    In other words, before shooting any videos that you won't have a
    second chance at, make sure that the card you use is fast enough. I
    noticed that the Z612 also records stereo audio with its video,
    which is nice feature not shared by many cameras.

    ASAAR, Feb 3, 2007
  11. Lou

    Ron Hunter Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 22:13:08 -0000, Lou wrote:
    >
    >> As I understand it from your response, the SD Card that is called a
    >> "Premium Card" just stores the pics and videos faster and that is it
    >> so I will stick to just a standard 1GB Card.
    >>
    >> I dont think the Kodak Z612 will take a 2GB Card but I will
    >> definitely check that out. I plan to take a lot of video clips and
    >> pictures at my Son's wedding later this year so if I can use the 2GB
    >> Card all the better!!

    > In that case maybe you should find out if a slower card might
    > cause video problems. Two things to look out for are first, that if
    > a memory card is too slow to keep up, the saved video will have
    > occasional dropouts. A slower card will have even more dropouts.
    > The second problem I'd guess would be unlikely in a modern camera,
    > but some older ones the didn't use fast memory cards would create
    > dropout-free videos only until the camera's internal memory buffer
    > was full, and would then stop recording and save whatever video was
    > captured to that point, which might limit the video length to no
    > more than a couple of minutes, if that.
    >
    > In other words, before shooting any videos that you won't have a
    > second chance at, make sure that the card you use is fast enough. I
    > noticed that the Z612 also records stereo audio with its video,
    > which is nice feature not shared by many cameras.

    I can verify that situation (dropped frames) from personal experience.
    I doubt many current cards would be too slow, however. As long as the
    card is at least as fast as the camera can write, there should be no
    problem, and the fastest cards are usually needed only for DSLR cameras.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 3, 2007
  12. Lou

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 02:41:23 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:

    > I can verify that situation (dropped frames) from personal experience.
    > I doubt many current cards would be too slow, however. As long as the
    > card is at least as fast as the camera can write, there should be no
    > problem, and the fastest cards are usually needed only for DSLR cameras.

    Video is more demanding than shooting long bursts of shots and
    moderately fast cards that may be adequate for still photography may
    still be too slow for video. Canon's manual for the A610/A620
    indicates that video recording can continue uninterrupted until the
    card is full or an individual clip uses 1GB of card memory,
    whichever comes first. It also implies that the supplied memory
    card is too slow (if not too small), adding:

    > * Using super high-speed memory cards (SDC-512MSH recommended).

    Nowhere do they say how fast this card is, or what speed is needed
    to prevent problems, so if the camera owner wants to try a non-Canon
    memory card, they do so at their own risk. What speed to you think
    that Canon's "super high-speed memory" actually is? 20x, 40x, 60x
    or really, *really* a lot faster? <g>

    ASAAR, Feb 3, 2007
  13. Lou

    Cgiorgio Guest

    "ASAAR" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 02:41:23 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> I can verify that situation (dropped frames) from personal experience.
    >> I doubt many current cards would be too slow, however. As long as the
    >> card is at least as fast as the camera can write, there should be no
    >> problem, and the fastest cards are usually needed only for DSLR cameras.

    > Video is more demanding than shooting long bursts of shots and
    > moderately fast cards that may be adequate for still photography may
    > still be too slow for video. Canon's manual for the A610/A620
    > indicates that video recording can continue uninterrupted until the
    > card is full or an individual clip uses 1GB of card memory,
    > whichever comes first. It also implies that the supplied memory
    > card is too slow (if not too small), adding:
    >
    >> * Using super high-speed memory cards (SDC-512MSH recommended).

    > Nowhere do they say how fast this card is, or what speed is needed
    > to prevent problems, so if the camera owner wants to try a non-Canon
    > memory card, they do so at their own risk. What speed to you think
    > that Canon's "super high-speed memory" actually is? 20x, 40x, 60x
    > or really, *really* a lot faster? <g>

    What is the cost of trying it out with a memory card you have in your
    possession? Probably half a battery charge, and 1 of about 100.000 possible
    read/write cycles on your card. The main problem with taking videos on a
    still camera is that the optical zoom does not work with most still cameras,
    which makes you end up with shorter video clips than what you would take on
    a dedicated video cam. Also Mpeg4 - compression is rather lossy when you
    have fast moving objects in your frame. I have tested taking video clips
    with a few current digicams on standard SD - cards (1 - 2 GB) which did not
    give any problems in 640 x 480 resolution, 30 fps with sound. Practically
    all current SD cards are fast enough to cope with this. Some "antique" chips
    were not, but they are no longer manufactured because they were also
    occupying more Silicon real estate than current high capacity ones. Still
    higher data rates than possible with the current memory chips can be
    obtained by using more than one memory array and an interleaving operation,
    which of course increases cost of such devices unless additional chips are
    needed anyway for capacity reasons like in the SDHC cards and other memory
    cards with 4 GB and more capacity. The camera interface has to support FAT32
    file systems in order to use such capacities and there are only a few on the
    market that do this so far.

    Cgiorgio, Feb 3, 2007
  14. Lou

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 10:54:14 +0100, Cgiorgio wrote:

    >> Nowhere do they say how fast this card is, or what speed is needed
    >> to prevent problems, so if the camera owner wants to try a non-Canon
    >> memory card, they do so at their own risk. What speed to you think
    >> that Canon's "super high-speed memory" actually is? 20x, 40x, 60x
    >> or really, *really* a lot faster? <g>

    > What is the cost of trying it out with a memory card you have
    > in your possession?

    Very little cost, but pointless, not only because I'm not
    interested in using my cameras to take videos, but also because the
    results I get with the cards in my Fuji or Canon cameras probably
    won't be of much use to the OP who has a Kodak Z612. If I did any
    testing it would probably be with the Fuji, and I'm sure that the
    high speed Type H xD cards would be more than fast enough. The
    standard xD card might be fast enough also, but my type M xD cards
    may not, since from what I've heard they're supposed to be fairly
    slow. Is anybody out there willing to fund these critical tests?
    It will take hours of my oh so valuable time and the extra cash
    could help speed up the purchase of my first DSLR. <g>

    ASAAR, Feb 3, 2007
  15. Lou

    Ron Hunter Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 02:41:23 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> I can verify that situation (dropped frames) from personal experience.
    >> I doubt many current cards would be too slow, however. As long as the
    >> card is at least as fast as the camera can write, there should be no
    >> problem, and the fastest cards are usually needed only for DSLR cameras.

    > Video is more demanding than shooting long bursts of shots and
    > moderately fast cards that may be adequate for still photography may
    > still be too slow for video. Canon's manual for the A610/A620
    > indicates that video recording can continue uninterrupted until the
    > card is full or an individual clip uses 1GB of card memory,
    > whichever comes first. It also implies that the supplied memory
    > card is too slow (if not too small), adding:
    >
    >> * Using super high-speed memory cards (SDC-512MSH recommended).

    > Nowhere do they say how fast this card is, or what speed is needed
    > to prevent problems, so if the camera owner wants to try a non-Canon
    > memory card, they do so at their own risk. What speed to you think
    > that Canon's "super high-speed memory" actually is? 20x, 40x, 60x
    > or really, *really* a lot faster? <g>

    Well, cards I see advertised range from 40x (cheap ones), to 133x
    (rather more expensive). I have two of the 40x cards which seem to work
    well in my wife's C743 that does 30fps VGA movies. Unfortunately, no
    manufacturer I know of publishes max read/write specs for their camera
    to card interface. I guess the only practical way way to determine if a
    particular card is suitable is to try it and see if 'glitches' are
    visible in a long (larger than internal memory) video. Sometimes the
    old 'try it an see' method is the only practical one.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 4, 2007
  16. Lou

    John Turco Guest

    Roy G wrote:

    <edited, for brevity>

    > Strange as it may seem, the God of the Big Yellow Box, does not make any
    > kind of Memory Card.
    >
    > They just get their Yellow Labels stuck on to someone elses card and charge
    > extra, because they know that a fair number of mugs will not know enough to
    > go and buy a card from one of the Companies who actually make them.
    >
    > Just like they told everyone in the days of film to only ever put Kodak Film
    > in their Cameras.
    >
    > So if you want to pay Kodak 3 times the price, on you go.
    >
    > I much prefer to put Lexar, Sandisc, or even PNY or Kingston in my Nikon.
    >
    > Roy G

    Hello, Roy:

    Kodak-branded memory cards are made by Lexar, as the "God of the Big
    Yellow Box" clearly states, on its packaging. :-J

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Feb 6, 2007
  17. Lou

    John Turco Guest

    Lou wrote:

    <heavily edited, for brevity>

    > Thank you and the other persons who responded so well and quickly toi
    > my Memory Card question on my new Kodak Z612. I love the pictures it
    > takes and now I, like all of you get the 1GB SD Card from any of the
    > local stores that run a good sale ... and thanks for the added clue
    > that Kodak just attaches it name to a SD Card (as other companies do
    > as well in their product lines).
    >
    > As I understand it from your response, the SD Card that is called a
    > "Premium Card" just stores the pics and videos faster and that is it
    > so I will stick to just a standard 1GB Card.
    >
    > I dont think the Kodak Z612 will take a 2GB Card but I will
    > definitely check that out. I plan to take a lot of video clips and
    > pictures at my Son's wedding later this year so if I can use the 2GB
    > Card all the better!!
    >
    > Thanks again for the good information!
    >
    > Lou

    Hello, Lou:

    Good luck! Being a big fan of Kodak digicams, myself, I'm confident that
    you'll be satisfied with the Z612.

    Incidentally, my local Wal-Mart recently started carrying "Impact" 1GB
    SD cards, at $19.74 USD, each; no sales events, nor rebates, needed.

    [Note: I'd bought one, at a different Wal-Mart store, a couple of months
    ago. Another shopper had thrown it into a clearance bin, apparently;
    lacking a price tag, I ran the Impact package's UPC under a bar scanner,
    which Wal-Mart had installed, for its customers' convenience.

    So, when it came up with $19.74, I mistakenly thought I'd stumbled upon
    a nice, juicy, closeout bargain! <g>]

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Feb 6, 2007
  18. Lou

    John Turco Guest

    ASAAR wrote:

    <heavily edited, for brevity>

    > noticed that the Z612 also records stereo audio with its video,
    > which is nice feature not shared by many cameras.

    Hello, ASAAR:

    C'mon, man...how much stereo separation is possible, on a little
    digicam?

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Feb 6, 2007
  19. Lou

    ASAAR Guest

    On 06 Feb 2007 00:08:11 EST, John Turco wrote:

    >> noticed that the Z612 also records stereo audio with its video,
    >> which is nice feature not shared by many cameras.

    > Hello, ASAAR:
    >
    > C'mon, man...how much stereo separation is possible, on a little
    > digicam?

    More than enough to be *very* useful. It's a tremendous help when
    you have several people speaking at the same time. The L & R
    elements in my old Sony ECM-909 microphone provides a lot of easily
    noticeable separation, and they're less than an inch apart. When
    the same conversations are recorded in mono, intelligibility goes
    down the drain. I suppose it's mostly due to the brain's ability to
    narrowly focus on sounds appearing to come from specific locations,
    ignoring sounds coming from surrounding locations, and it works
    quite well. If the little digicam's sound is deficient in any area
    it's probably not with its stereo ability but with it picking up
    motor and finger noise. An external mic. eliminates most of this.
    If you want to get a very nice mic., the ECM-907 replaced the 909
    several years ago, and I think adds a mono position to the
    wide/narrow stereo switch. It's not a "bowtie" clip-on type mic.,
    but has a small pedestal and uses a single long lasting AA battery.

    ASAAR, Feb 6, 2007
  20. John Turco wrote:
    []
    > C'mon, man...how much stereo separation is possible, on a little
    > digicam?

    The best stereo microphones have /zero/ separation, as they record sounds
    coming from different directions.

    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 6, 2007