    reading the opinions of blowhards who think they know the answer to
    Kodak's problems, but actually they haven't the faintest idea where
    the company went wrong.
    Bruce, Jan 19, 2012

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jan 19, 1:47 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    >
    > >http://www.economist.com/node/21542796

    > Thanks, an excellent article.  Makes a refreshing difference from
    > reading the opinions of blowhards who think they know the answer to
    > Kodak's problems, but actually they haven't the faintest idea where
    > the company went wrong.

    For that, you get to read the comments!
    RichA, Jan 19, 2012
  4. In article <>,
    Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >On 2012-01-19 12:48 , RichA wrote:
    >> http://www.economist.com/node/21542796

    >The old saw about buggy whip companies appears to have backfired on
    >Kodak. They identified themselves in the "imaging" business - just the
    >wrong parts of it. Made their strategy decisions and now are dying of
    >poor execution.
    >
    >That article confirms (the opinion) that Kodak should have created an
    >"oldco" to sell film and photo process chemicals and a "newco" to pursue
    >digital and other ventures - initially funded by assets and profits from
    >the disappearing oldco.
    >
    >Also confirmed the opinion of many that emerging markets would quickly
    >leap over film to digital.
    >
    >One interesting insight (subject to debate) in that article is the
    >sentence ending " ... and offered customers the ability to post and
    >share pictures online."
    >
    >That, as the article suggests, could have pre-dated facebook by 5+ years
    >and if run in the same manner would have been a fabulous success. If
    >wishes were fishes - though when you think of all of the film kodak sold
    >for the simple purpose of the family record, the tie in to operating a
    >social web are tantalizing.
    >
    >"Kodak behaved like an old Japanese co. and Fuji behaved like a nimble
    >American co." - article.

    If Kodak has any consolation, it's that at least they weren't Polaroid..
    --
    ------
    columbiaclosings.com
    (Ted Nolan, Jan 19, 2012
  5. RichA

    Peter Chant Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > One interesting insight (subject to debate) in that article is the
    > sentence ending " ... and offered customers the ability to post and
    > share pictures online."
    >
    > That, as the article suggests, could have pre-dated facebook by 5+ years
    > and if run in the same manner would have been a fabulous success. If
    > wishes were fishes - though when you think of all of the film kodak sold
    > for the simple purpose of the family record, the tie in to operating a
    > social web are tantalizing.

    Interesting, as I don't think that flickr is the first photosharing site.
    The question is why is flickr the monster whereas pbase is smaller
    and I can't think of any others right now.

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk
    Peter Chant, Jan 19, 2012
  6. RichA

    JimCo Guest

    On Jan 19, 5:11 pm, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > On 2012-01-19 16:09 , Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
    >
    > > If Kodak has any consolation, it's that at least they weren't Polaroid...

    > ;-)
    >
    > --
    > "We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."
    > Douglas Adams - (Could have been a GPS engineer).

    See my comment under the Images of Kodak thread.
    JimCo
    JimCo, Jan 20, 2012