    Any Help?

    Thanks
    Paul Gulliver

    Paul Gulliver, Jan 27, 2004

  2. Paul Gulliver

    dickydoo Guest

    After reading all the problems folks seem to be geting with Kodak software I
    wont be getting a Kodak camera after all.
    "Paul Gulliver" <> wrote in message
    > I have Kodak Easyshare software Version 3.2.2.6 installed. The problem is
    > that every time I insert a cd into the computer the software asks me if I
    > want to transfer the picture on the cd into my Album. How do I prevent

    this
    > from happening. I can't remember this occurring when I had the original
    > Easyshare software that came with the camera.
    > All I want is to be able to transfer the pictures from my camera to the

    hard

    dickydoo, Jan 27, 2004

  3. Paul Gulliver

    Ron Hunter Guest

    dickydoo wrote:

    > After reading all the problems folks seem to be geting with Kodak software I
    > wont be getting a Kodak camera after all.
    > "Paul Gulliver" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have Kodak Easyshare software Version 3.2.2.6 installed. The problem is
    >>that every time I insert a cd into the computer the software asks me if I
    >>want to transfer the picture on the cd into my Album. How do I prevent

    > this
    >
    >>from happening. I can't remember this occurring when I had the original
    >>Easyshare software that came with the camera.
    >>All I want is to be able to transfer the pictures from my camera to the

    > hard
    >
    >>disc - not from any other source.
    >>I've tried looking through the preferences and can't see anything to
    >>de-select to prevent it reading the cd drive.
    >>
    >>Any Help?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Paul Gulliver

    Interesting. If you read all the problems people have with AOL, will
    you not get a computer? No one has to use the Kodak software to use
    their Kodak camera. I certainly don't. Silly idea.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 27, 2004
  4. No, it is not a silly idea. With what appears to have been software
    released with far too little beta testing, it is not unreasonable to believe
    the software and firmware in the camera are also lacking and maybe even the
    hardware.

    I would not buy a computer with an AOL motherboard or system software,
    would you?

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Jan 27, 2004
  5. "Paul Gulliver" <> wrote in message
    > I have Kodak Easyshare software Version 3.2.2.6 installed. The

    problem is
    > that every time I insert a cd into the computer the software asks me

    if I
    > want to transfer the picture on the cd into my Album. How do I

    prevent this
    > from happening. I can't remember this occurring when I had the

    original
    > Easyshare software that came with the camera.
    > All I want is to be able to transfer the pictures from my camera to

    the hard
    > disc - not from any other source.
    > I've tried looking through the preferences and can't see anything to
    > de-select to prevent it reading the cd drive.
    >
    > Any Help?

    If you have XP, try this.

    Go to "My Computer"

    Right click on the CD drive and select "properties"

    Select the "autoplay" tab. It will then show you
    a list of the file types, and actions to take. See if you
    have any associations there.

    If this doesn't work, report back. My version of Easyshare
    does not do this, so there must be an answer.

    Steve

    Steve Brassett, Jan 27, 2004
  6. "Steve Brassett" <> wrote in message

    > "Paul Gulliver" <> wrote in message
    > > I have Kodak Easyshare software Version 3.2.2.6 installed. The

    > problem is
    > > that every time I insert a cd into the computer the software asks me

    > if I
    > > want to transfer the picture on the cd into my Album. How do I

    > prevent this
    > > from happening. I can't remember this occurring when I had the

    > original
    > > Easyshare software that came with the camera.
    > > All I want is to be able to transfer the pictures from my camera to

    > the hard
    > > disc - not from any other source.
    > > I've tried looking through the preferences and can't see anything to
    > > de-select to prevent it reading the cd drive.
    > >
    > > Any Help?
    > >

    > If you have XP, try this..

    > Go to "My Computer"
    >
    > Right click on the CD drive and select "properties"
    >
    > Select the "autoplay" tab. It will then show you
    > a list of the file types, and actions to take. See if you
    > have any associations there.
    >
    > If this doesn't work, report back. My version of Easyshare
    > does not do this, so there must be an answer.
    >
    > Steve

    Thank for the reply Steve,

    I'm using Win2k, I checked on the properties tag and there is no mention of
    associations.
    Which version are you running?

    Paul

    Paul Gulliver, Jan 27, 2004
  7. "Paul Gulliver" <> wrote in message

    > "Steve Brassett" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Paul Gulliver" <> wrote in message
    > > > I have Kodak Easyshare software Version 3.2.2.6 installed. The

    > > problem is
    > > > that every time I insert a cd into the computer the software

    asks me
    > > if I
    > > > want to transfer the picture on the cd into my Album. How do I

    > > prevent this
    > > > from happening. I can't remember this occurring when I had the

    > > original
    > > > Easyshare software that came with the camera.

    > > If you have XP, try this..
    > > Go to "My Computer"
    > > Right click on the CD drive and select "properties"
    > > Select the "autoplay" tab. It will then show you
    > > a list of the file types, and actions to take. See if you
    > > have any associations there.
    > >
    > > If this doesn't work, report back. My version of Easyshare
    > > does not do this, so there must be an answer.

    > Thank for the reply Steve,
    >
    > I'm using Win2k, I checked on the properties tag and there is no

    mention of
    > associations.
    > Which version are you running?

    I have 3.2.2.6 as well, but I am on XP. If you put an audio disk in,
    does it autostart any software?

    Steve

    Steve Brassett, Jan 27, 2004
  8. "Steve Brassett" <> wrote in message

    > "Paul Gulliver" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Steve Brassett" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Paul Gulliver" <> wrote in message

    The
    > > > problem is

    > asks me
    > > > if I
    > > > prevent this
    > > > original
    > > >
    > > > If you have XP, try this..
    > > > Go to "My Computer"
    > > > Right click on the CD drive and select "properties"
    > > > Select the "autoplay" tab. It will then show you
    > > > a list of the file types, and actions to take. See if you
    > > > have any associations there.
    > > >
    > > > If this doesn't work, report back. My version of Easyshare
    > > > does not do this, so there must be an answer.

    > > Thank for the reply Steve,
    > >
    > > I'm using Win2k, I checked on the properties tag and there is no

    > mention of
    > > associations.
    > > Which version are you running?

    > I have 3.2.2.6 as well, but I am on XP. If you put an audio disk

    in,
    > does it autostart any software?

    According to W2K help, you can prevent autoplay by holding
    down the shift key when you insert a CD. This might help
    temporarily until you find a more permanent solution.

    My W2K PC doesn't have a CD-ROM on it, so I can't
    try at the moment.

    Steve

    Steve Brassett, Jan 27, 2004
  9. "Steve Brassett" <> wrote in message

    > "Steve Brassett" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Paul Gulliver" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Steve Brassett" <> wrote in message

    > The

    > > asks me

    > > > Thank for the reply Steve,
    > > >
    > > > I'm using Win2k, I checked on the properties tag and there is no

    > > mention of
    > > > associations.
    > > > Which version are you running?

    > > I have 3.2.2.6 as well, but I am on XP. If you put an audio disk

    > in,
    > > does it autostart any software?
    > >

    > According to W2K help, you can prevent autoplay by holding
    > down the shift key when you insert a CD. This might help
    > temporarily until you find a more permanent solution.
    >
    > My W2K PC doesn't have a CD-ROM on it, so I can't
    > try at the moment.
    >
    > Steve

    I've just tried holding down the shift key while loading the cd and it
    doesn't make any difference, the transfer dialog box still comes up.
    Regarding the audio disks - no software automatically runs when I put and
    audio disk in.
    I'm off to work now so will have to try any further ideas tomorrow - perhaps
    in the mean time Ron Baird (Kodak) will read this and come up with some
    further ideas.

    Paul

    Paul Gulliver, Jan 27, 2004
  10. "Paul Gulliver" <> wrote in message

    > "Steve Brassett" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Steve Brassett" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Paul Gulliver" <> wrote in message

    installed.
    > > The

    software
    > > > asks me

    do I

    the

    no
    > > > mention of
    > > >
    > > > I have 3.2.2.6 as well, but I am on XP. If you put an audio

    disk
    > > in,
    > > > does it autostart any software?
    > > >

    > > According to W2K help, you can prevent autoplay by holding
    > > down the shift key when you insert a CD. This might help
    > > temporarily until you find a more permanent solution.
    > >
    > > My W2K PC doesn't have a CD-ROM on it, so I can't
    > > try at the moment.
    > >
    > > Steve
    > >

    > I've just tried holding down the shift key while loading the cd and

    it
    > doesn't make any difference, the transfer dialog box still comes up.
    > Regarding the audio disks - no software automatically runs when I

    put and
    > audio disk in.
    > I'm off to work now so will have to try any further ideas tomorrow -

    perhaps
    > in the mean time Ron Baird (Kodak) will read this and come up with

    some
    > further ideas.

    Yes, sorry - I've run out.

    Steve

    Steve Brassett, Jan 27, 2004
  11. dickydoo wrote:
    > After reading all the problems folks seem to be geting with Kodak software I
    > wont be getting a Kodak camera after all.

    When buying a camera, you should consider many factors. Picture quality was most
    important to me, followed closely by a big optical zoom, and in my price range,
    the Kodak DX6490 was the best camera. Quality of the software is a very very
    minor issue.

    Ben Thomas
    Melbourne, Australia

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=, Jan 27, 2004
  12. Paul Gulliver

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Joseph Meehan wrote:
    > No, it is not a silly idea. With what appears to have been software
    > released with far too little beta testing, it is not unreasonable to believe
    > the software and firmware in the camera are also lacking and maybe even the
    > hardware.
    >
    > I would not buy a computer with an AOL motherboard or system software,
    > would you?

    NO, but then AOL hasn't been making computers for over 100 years, either.

    If the picture on the album cover is smudged, does that mean the CD is bad?

    Ron Hunter, Jan 27, 2004
  13. Paul Gulliver

    Ron Hunter Guest

    BenOne© wrote:

    > dickydoo wrote:
    >
    >> After reading all the problems folks seem to be geting with Kodak
    >> software I
    >> wont be getting a Kodak camera after all.

    > When buying a camera, you should consider many factors. Picture quality
    > was most important to me, followed closely by a big optical zoom, and in
    > my price range, the Kodak DX6490 was the best camera. Quality of the
    > software is a very very minor issue.

    To me, it was not even a minor issue. Other than testing for others, I
    have never used the Kodak software, nor do I expect to. The camera is
    what I bought, and what I use. It performs as expected, or better.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 27, 2004
  14. Paul Gulliver

    Clockmeister Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > BenOne© wrote:
    >
    > > dickydoo wrote:
    > >
    > >> After reading all the problems folks seem to be geting with Kodak
    > >> software I
    > >> wont be getting a Kodak camera after all.

    > > When buying a camera, you should consider many factors. Picture quality
    > > was most important to me, followed closely by a big optical zoom, and in
    > > my price range, the Kodak DX6490 was the best camera. Quality of the
    > > software is a very very minor issue.
    > >

    > To me, it was not even a minor issue. Other than testing for others, I
    > have never used the Kodak software, nor do I expect to. The camera is
    > what I bought, and what I use. It performs as expected, or better.

    What do you use to download the pictures to your PC runing XP?

    Clockmeister, Jan 27, 2004
  15. Paul Gulliver

    Paige Miller Guest

    On Stardate 1/27/2004 5:38 AM, the following keys were mysteriously
    typed at dickydoo's keyboard...
    > After reading all the problems folks seem to be geting with Kodak software I
    > wont be getting a Kodak camera after all.

    I have had a wonderful experience with my Kodak DX6490. It worked
    flawlessly from the day I got it.

    Yesterday, I had some computer crashes, and after that I couldn't get
    the camera to talk to the computer. I called Kodak tech support and they
    talked me through several attempts of getting the camera to work. The
    hardest part was waiting for the computer to re-boot. But the very
    knowledgeable person I was speaking to explained each step, and voila!
    the camera now talks to the computer again.

    --
    Paige Miller
    pmiller5 at rochester dot rr dot com

    It's nothing until I call it -- Bill Klem, NL Umpire
    If you get the choice to sit it out or dance,
    I hope you dance -- Lee Ann Womack

    Paige Miller, Jan 28, 2004
  16. Clockmeister wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>BenOne© wrote:

    >>>When buying a camera, you should consider many factors. Picture quality
    >>>was most important to me, followed closely by a big optical zoom, and in
    >>>my price range, the Kodak DX6490 was the best camera. Quality of the
    >>>software is a very very minor issue.
    >>>

    >>To me, it was not even a minor issue. Other than testing for others, I
    >>have never used the Kodak software, nor do I expect to. The camera is
    >>what I bought, and what I use. It performs as expected, or better.

    > What do you use to download the pictures to your PC runing XP?

    I'm guessing Ron just installed the camera connection software, which means you
    can access the memory card as if it were an external drive.

    Ben Thomas
    Melbourne, Australia

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=, Jan 28, 2004
  17. Paul Gulliver

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Clockmeister wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>BenOne© wrote:

    >>>When buying a camera, you should consider many factors. Picture quality
    >>>was most important to me, followed closely by a big optical zoom, and in
    >>>my price range, the Kodak DX6490 was the best camera. Quality of the
    >>>software is a very very minor issue.
    >>>

    >>To me, it was not even a minor issue. Other than testing for others, I
    >>have never used the Kodak software, nor do I expect to. The camera is
    >>what I bought, and what I use. It performs as expected, or better.

    > What do you use to download the pictures to your PC runing XP?

    I have a multi-function card reader. It appears as a disk drive
    (actually several of them), and I use Windows Explorer to move the files
    from the card to my HD. Then I can use whatever editor I want.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 28, 2004
  18. Paul Gulliver

    Ron Hunter Guest

    BenOne© wrote:

    > Clockmeister wrote:
    >
    >> "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message

    >>> To me, it was not even a minor issue. Other than testing for others, I
    >>> have never used the Kodak software, nor do I expect to. The camera is
    >>> what I bought, and what I use. It performs as expected, or better.

    >> What do you use to download the pictures to your PC runing XP?
    >>

    > I'm guessing Ron just installed the camera connection software, which
    > means you can access the memory card as if it were an external drive.

    NOt quite. WinXP has drivers for some cameras (but not mine), but it
    does accept most USB card readers without need for extra drivers. My
    wife's computer has a 7 format card reader built in, and no extra driver
    required for it, of course.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 28, 2004
  19. Paul Gulliver

    JoeG Guest

    Paul Gulliver wrote:
    > I have Kodak Easyshare software Version 3.2.2.6 installed. The problem is
    > that every time I insert a cd into the computer the software asks me if I
    > want to transfer the picture on the cd into my Album. How do I prevent this
    > from happening. I can't remember this occurring when I had the original
    > Easyshare software that came with the camera.
    > All I want is to be able to transfer the pictures from my camera to the hard
    > disc - not from any other source.
    > I've tried looking through the preferences and can't see anything to
    > de-select to prevent it reading the cd drive.
    >
    > Any Help?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Paul Gulliver

    One of the worst engineered pieces of bloated software ever made. I
    removed it only after trying to use it for a couple of days -- it was
    slow, it locked up my computer, and difficult to uninstall.

    JoeG, Jan 28, 2004
  20. Paul Gulliver

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Paul,

    Actually, you have control over whether or not images are transferred to
    your system. When you have taken pictures and connected your EasyShare
    camera to the computer, and you do not want the Picture Transfer window to
    start, please check your Easyshare Preferences. Make sure that the checkbox
    for the Kodak Digital Camera is not checked. You can check your preferences
    by right clicking the EasyShare icon in your system tray, and selecting the
    transfer preferences tab. Check the the box for camera device detection.
    If you have unchecked your camera, etc. your images will not auto transfer.

    At the same time, however, EasyShare is a cataloging program and requires
    that you have your images on your hard drive. So, when images are
    introduced to the system, it will bring them into the hard drive for your
    review. You can discard them if you like.

    Actually, Kodak EasyShare software is designed to catalog your pictures to
    enable the quick retrieval of your picture files from within the software.
    Picture files that are not located on the hard drive, are unable to be
    cataloged by EasyShare software for Windows. So, when you introduce media
    to the system that has images, and you have set the EasyShare Software to
    automatically retrieve images, it will seek and find them and bring them
    into your system. This is done with picture files that are located on
    removable media types, such as Floppy disks, CD rom drives and other
    removable media types such as Zip drives, card readers, or on network
    drives.

    If you do not want this done, as you note, simply turn off the options in
    EasyShare and it will not transfer images. To be sure of this, you can set
    the tranfer to begin at 15 seconds after detection. Watch for a transfer
    screen and simply click no.

    You can also choose for your system to not detect removeable media, i.e.
    CDs.

    Hope this helps, Paul, talk to you soon

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company