Kodak Soft Gloss Picture Paper for inkjet printers

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ray K, May 21, 2004.

  1. Ray K

    Ray K Guest

    I'm evaluating refill inks for my Canon i550 printer, using an older
    version of this color scale image: http://displaymate.com/dwscs.html.
    When I use Canon high gloss paper, each of the squares, all colors, has
    sharply defined edges on all four sides. With the Kodak paper, many of
    the squares have very ragged edges, especially along the edges that
    border with black. (Same ink tanks were used with both brands.)

    While barely visible on the above link, there is a gray scale just above
    the red one at the top. With the Kodak paper, all four edges of each
    gray square are as sharp as with the Canon paper. Drop down one row, to
    the red squares, and the edges are horribly ragged, with the raggedness
    greatest at the right end and getting less toward the left end.

    All the rows below the red one have acceptably sharp edges, but not as
    good as with the Canon paper.

    I printed the test pattern a second time on the Kodak paper; same (but
    not identical) ragged edges in the red row.

    I'm disappointed that a product from a company like Kodak would give
    such poor performance. Thanks for any comments/insights you offer.

    Ray

    Ray K, May 21, 2004

  2. Ray K

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ray K wrote:
    > I'm evaluating refill inks for my Canon i550 printer, using an older
    > version of this color scale image: http://displaymate.com/dwscs.html.
    > When I use Canon high gloss paper, each of the squares, all colors, has
    > sharply defined edges on all four sides. With the Kodak paper, many of
    > the squares have very ragged edges, especially along the edges that
    > border with black. (Same ink tanks were used with both brands.)
    >
    > While barely visible on the above link, there is a gray scale just above
    > the red one at the top. With the Kodak paper, all four edges of each
    > gray square are as sharp as with the Canon paper. Drop down one row, to
    > the red squares, and the edges are horribly ragged, with the raggedness
    > greatest at the right end and getting less toward the left end.
    >
    > All the rows below the red one have acceptably sharp edges, but not as
    > good as with the Canon paper.
    >
    > I printed the test pattern a second time on the Kodak paper; same (but
    > not identical) ragged edges in the red row.
    >
    > I'm disappointed that a product from a company like Kodak would give
    > such poor performance. Thanks for any comments/insights you offer.
    >
    > Ray

    It has nothing to do with the paper, but rather with the finish, and the
    ink. You would be best served by following the recommendations of the
    printer manufacturer in selecting paper and ink. The Kodak soft gloss
    paper works perfectly with both my HP printers.

    Ron Hunter, May 21, 2004