    http://www.kodak.com/go/easyshare-one

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company
    Ron Baird, Jan 6, 2005

  2. Ron Baird

    Claim Guy Guest

    "Ron Baird" <> wrote in message
    news:crjudt$kai$...
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > Just wanted to share some information about a new digital camera release
    > from Kodak. The URL below will give you a full set of details and
    > information about this camera. I have had the chance to review it and

    work
    > with it a bit. I am sure that when it hits the stores you are going to

    love
    > it. Quite innovative and fun to use. Check it out! I am here if you

    have
    > any questions.
    >
    > http://www.kodak.com/go/easyshare-one
    >
    > Ron Baird
    > Eastman Kodak Company

    A particularly egregious abuse of Usenet.

    My question, Ron, would be why a company like Kodak doesn't follow the rules
    in marketing it's products?
    Claim Guy, Jan 6, 2005

  3. Ron Baird

    jfitz Guest

    "Claim Guy" <> wrote in message
    > A particularly egregious abuse of Usenet.

    Kind of like quoting an entire message?
    jfitz, Jan 6, 2005
  4. Ron Baird

    Tony Guest

    Is Kodak so desparate they are having their flaks put out crap like this
    with company bl;essing - or are you just hoping to keep your job? I got
    news, ahole - after the complaints you generate today the chances are good
    you will be flipping burgers tomorrow. Probably the job most suited to your
    abilities anyhow.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Jan 6, 2005
  5. Ron Baird

    Robert Barr Guest

    Ron Baird wrote:
    I have had the chance to review it and work
    > with it a bit. I am sure that when it hits the stores you are going to love
    > it. Quite innovative and fun to use. Check it out! I am here if you have
    > any questions.

    I'm wondering why the wireless feature, since you need to physically
    dock the camera to charge the battery anyhow.

    It's also missing that super-handy grip for the right hand.

    The flip-out LCD is definitely a plus, and was one of the neatest
    features of the Canon G3 (and its offspring). Great for 'sniper-style'
    photography, and with a 3" screen, old fogies like me can actually see
    what's on there.

    Still, that's not much of a reason to spend double+ the cost of a
    DX7440, and it looks to me like this camera doesn't have a viewfinder.
    Is that correct? The user has to use the LCD?

    The internal memory is a nice touch, but still, I can pop a 512MB into
    my 7440 and shoot forever, and use the Share button to cull my favorite
    images for passing the camera around for viewing.

    I don't know. Other than the LCD, there's nothing exciting about it,
    and it eliminates that handy grip. It'll take a lot more than this to
    pry the 7440 out of my mitts!

    Robert Barr, Jan 6, 2005
  6. Ron Baird

    C J Campbell Guest

    "Ron Baird" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > Just wanted to share some information about a new digital camera release
    > from Kodak.

    Geez, Ron. Tough crowd.
    C J Campbell, Jan 7, 2005
  7. "Ron Baird" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > Just wanted to share some information about a new digital camera release
    > from Kodak. The URL below will give you a full set of details and
    > information about this camera. I have had the chance to review it and

    work
    > with it a bit. I am sure that when it hits the stores you are going to

    love
    > it. Quite innovative and fun to use. Check it out! I am here if you

    have
    > any questions.
    >
    > http://www.kodak.com/go/easyshare-one
    >
    > Ron Baird
    > Eastman Kodak Company

    The website says it will be available in June!
    The world of technology will have moved on so far in the next 6 months that
    this will be decidedly old hat by then.
    Or is Kodak aware that another company will come out with real
    groundbreaking products and wants to sell us this camera on a promise before
    we become aware we have been had?

    Gerrit
    Gerrit 't Hart, Jan 7, 2005
  8. Ron Baird

    Ben Thomas Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > Is Kodak so desparate they are having their flaks put out crap like this
    > with company bl;essing - or are you just hoping to keep your job? I got
    > news, ahole - after the complaints you generate today the chances are good
    > you will be flipping burgers tomorrow. Probably the job most suited to your
    > abilities anyhow.

    I think you're over-reacting.

    I wouldn't have minded if Ron had posted a short spec list and what we can
    expect to pay for one when they are available.

    My Digital World:
    Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
    Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
    Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
    Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

    Disclaimer:
    given nor endorsed by it.
    Ben Thomas, Jan 7, 2005
  9. Ron Baird

    Guest

    Hmmmm.

    ".. am sure that when it hits the stores you are going to love
    it. Quite innovative and fun to use."

    Usenet etiquette suggests that if you are pushing a commercial barrow,
    you need to be very careful to NOT use words like 'you are going to
    love it..fun to use'.

    You should simply explain what is offered in a very matter of fact way,
    and hope to heck that your audience is suitably impressed by those
    facts.

    If it really is innovative, you should have stated why in your post,
    not just supply a link. Grudgingly I looked at the link, and found
    little that was truly innovative.

    Sorry. Barely worth 2/10, and 2 points removed for lack of etiquette.
    0/10.
    , Jan 7, 2005
  10. Ron Baird

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > Is Kodak so desparate they are having their flaks put out crap like this
    > with company bl;essing - or are you just hoping to keep your job? I got
    > news, ahole - after the complaints you generate today the chances are good
    > you will be flipping burgers tomorrow. Probably the job most suited to your
    > abilities anyhow.

    Don't you think you are being a bit harsh. Wouldn't 40 lashes and salt
    in the wounds be enough for a single promotional message?

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Jan 7, 2005
  11. Ron Baird

    Jim Redelfs Guest

    In article <_kmDd.46559$>, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    > Don't you think you are being a bit harsh.

    I thought the same thing.

    Assuming the Kodak poster is legitimate, it is a rare thing indeed that a
    company representative has the NERVE to actually post on usenet. I have read
    some of his other posts and recall they were helpful - IOW, not all
    advertisements.

    I was rather frustrated to see the guy flamed so vehemently. Yeah, yeah, he
    touted a commercial product but, IMHO, did it very nicely without a lot of
    wasted bandwidth (a link instead of in-line features, etc)

    I wish other companies would be a little more "visible" here. However,
    considering the rather outrageous "flipping burgers" follow-up/flaming of this
    poster, I'm not surprised they aren't.

    We can endure an interminable OFF-TOPIC thread [meaning of life] (Horrible
    Tsunami Pics) and top/bottom post thread, not to mention the usual spam, but
    let someone foolish enough to use a real log-in and post a single page mention
    of a commercial product and BAM! Flame City. It's sad.

    :(
    JR
    Jim Redelfs, Jan 7, 2005
  12. Ron Baird

    Tony Guest

    I'm glad to know you welcoms spam - it gives me a good reason to killfile
    you and a few other brain dead fools.

    --

    "Jim Redelfs" <> wrote in message
    > In article <_kmDd.46559$>, Ron Hunter

    <>

    Tony, Jan 7, 2005
  13. Ron Baird

    Ben Thomas Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > I'm glad to know you welcoms spam - it gives me a good reason to killfile
    > you and a few other brain dead fools.

    You'll quickly run out of people to speak to.

    Ben Thomas, Jan 7, 2005
  14. Ron Baird

    Renee Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Tony wrote:
    >> Is Kodak so desparate they are having their flaks put out crap like this
    >> with company bl;essing - or are you just hoping to keep your job? I got
    >> news, ahole - after the complaints you generate today the chances are
    >> good
    >> you will be flipping burgers tomorrow. Probably the job most suited to
    >> your
    >> abilities anyhow.
    >>

    > Don't you think you are being a bit harsh. Wouldn't 40 lashes and salt in
    > the wounds be enough for a single promotional message?

    I didn't mind *how* Tony pointed out Ron's indiscretion, just as long as
    someone pointed it out.

    Ron Baird is usually very helpful to Kodak camera owners, but he's still a
    salesman. Many readers don't expect or want to see commercial ads in this
    news group, and especially subtle promotional stuff. For example, when
    someone's comparing another camera brand to a Kodak and asking for
    purchasing advice, he'll say something like "I'd pick the Kodak. And I don't
    just say that because I work for them." He quickly loses credibility when he
    does things like that. It makes him look like he is taking people here for a
    bunch of idiots.

    I'd like to see him stick to giving more straight answers, and less sneaky
    marketing tactics, including all those *fabulous* Kodak product and
    information links we see.

    I think it's good that people have let Ron know their feelings about this,
    so the newsgroup doesn't keep seeing similar ads from other camera salesmen.

    I'm not trying to play net cop, and don't like to criticize anyone's posts.
    So I apologize to Ron and others if *my* post seems especially harsh.
    Renee, Jan 7, 2005
  15. Ron Baird

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Renee wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Tony wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is Kodak so desparate they are having their flaks put out crap like this
    >>>with company bl;essing - or are you just hoping to keep your job? I got
    >>>news, ahole - after the complaints you generate today the chances are
    >>>good
    >>>you will be flipping burgers tomorrow. Probably the job most suited to
    >>>your
    >>>abilities anyhow.
    >>>

    >>Don't you think you are being a bit harsh. Wouldn't 40 lashes and salt in
    >>the wounds be enough for a single promotional message?

    > I didn't mind *how* Tony pointed out Ron's indiscretion, just as long as
    > someone pointed it out.
    >
    > Ron Baird is usually very helpful to Kodak camera owners, but he's still a
    > salesman. Many readers don't expect or want to see commercial ads in this
    > news group, and especially subtle promotional stuff. For example, when
    > someone's comparing another camera brand to a Kodak and asking for
    > purchasing advice, he'll say something like "I'd pick the Kodak. And I don't
    > just say that because I work for them." He quickly loses credibility when he
    > does things like that. It makes him look like he is taking people here for a
    > bunch of idiots.
    >
    > I'd like to see him stick to giving more straight answers, and less sneaky
    > marketing tactics, including all those *fabulous* Kodak product and
    > information links we see.
    >
    > I think it's good that people have let Ron know their feelings about this,
    > so the newsgroup doesn't keep seeing similar ads from other camera salesmen.
    >
    > I'm not trying to play net cop, and don't like to criticize anyone's posts.
    > So I apologize to Ron and others if *my* post seems especially harsh.

    Hi...

    I'll apologize too, as I stick in my 2 cents worth...

    Kodak is, one way or another, paying the salary that puts
    bread on his table...

    Having said that, he is very helpful to the Kodak users
    among us; while I very much doubt that the majority of us
    will be of much help to him - given the resources almost
    certainly at his disposal. Therefore he isn't reading
    this group for his entertainment or gain, and may not
    be here were it not for Kodak's part in it.

    I'm suggesting that it's worth considering letting
    Ron/Kodak do a bit of promoting in return for the
    considerable help.

    I know I'd love it if an Olympus pro would join us;
    and hate it if the rest chased him away.

    If I have a vote, I'll vote that we offer him and
    Kodak a group apology for the "attack"; hope he/they
    accept it and stick around - with the occasional promo.

    Take care.

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Jan 7, 2005
  16. Ron Baird

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > I'm glad to know you welcoms spam - it gives me a good reason to killfile
    > you and a few other brain dead fools.

    Good, please add me to your list. Thanks.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Jan 7, 2005
  17. Ron Baird

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Renee wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Tony wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is Kodak so desparate they are having their flaks put out crap like this
    >>>with company bl;essing - or are you just hoping to keep your job? I got
    >>>news, ahole - after the complaints you generate today the chances are
    >>>good
    >>>you will be flipping burgers tomorrow. Probably the job most suited to
    >>>your
    >>>abilities anyhow.
    >>>

    >>Don't you think you are being a bit harsh. Wouldn't 40 lashes and salt in
    >>the wounds be enough for a single promotional message?

    > I didn't mind *how* Tony pointed out Ron's indiscretion, just as long as
    > someone pointed it out.
    >
    > Ron Baird is usually very helpful to Kodak camera owners, but he's still a
    > salesman. Many readers don't expect or want to see commercial ads in this
    > news group, and especially subtle promotional stuff. For example, when
    > someone's comparing another camera brand to a Kodak and asking for
    > purchasing advice, he'll say something like "I'd pick the Kodak. And I don't
    > just say that because I work for them." He quickly loses credibility when he
    > does things like that. It makes him look like he is taking people here for a
    > bunch of idiots.
    >
    > I'd like to see him stick to giving more straight answers, and less sneaky
    > marketing tactics, including all those *fabulous* Kodak product and
    > information links we see.
    >
    > I think it's good that people have let Ron know their feelings about this,
    > so the newsgroup doesn't keep seeing similar ads from other camera salesmen.
    >
    > I'm not trying to play net cop, and don't like to criticize anyone's posts.
    > So I apologize to Ron and others if *my* post seems especially harsh.

    While I agree that the post is blatant promotion, and Ron should not
    have posted it, his contributions to the group over a long period should
    allow him some small indescretion without capital punishment. I suspect
    most of us who have been here for some time have done worse.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Jan 7, 2005
  18. Ron Baird

    Tony Guest

    Idiot.

    Tony, Jan 7, 2005
  19. Ron Baird

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings All,

    Guess I stepped out of line here a bit. What was I thinking?

    Truly, my intent was to let everyone know about something new. But, for
    those I stepped on, I apologize. I will keep your thoughts in mind in the
    future. My real goal here is to help those that have decided to buy Kodak,
    or have an interest in digital imaging, or that have some problem, Kodak or
    not.

    As to choosing cameras, I generally comment only if there is a request or a
    reason. I have stated many times that the best way to choose a camera is to
    try it out if possible and to consider all the facts, i.e. what kind of
    photographer are you, how much money you are going to spend, How does it
    feel, what features do you think you will need or use, etc.

    Regardless, I accept your thoughts and will keep them in mind in the future.

    Talk to you all soon.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Jan 7, 2005
  20. Ron Baird

    Guest

    Looks nice. 640x480 at 30? Don't believe it.
    Post a link.
    (Stereo sound?)

    ps - you're not out-of-line. You participate. An occasional
    detour in commerce doesn't hurt anyone. It makes the world
    go round.
    , Jan 7, 2005