Kodak Question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by long eddy, Feb 2, 2006.

  1. long eddy

    long eddy Guest

    Hello all,
    I have a three year old Kodak LS420 camera which works fine.

    I recharge the batteries on a docking station and upload the files to my
    hard drive on the same docking station as well.

    The software that this camera uses is:
    Kodak Picture Software 1.4

    My computer is a Dell PC on Win 98 / PIII @ 350mhz w/ 128mb RAM

    I recently purchased an 8 in 1 Card Reader from Kodak in the event that the
    docking station dies.

    In the package from Kodak was new software called:

    Kodak EasyShare Version 3.4.2

    Today, I dumped the old Kodak Picture software - 1.4 - from my computer and
    installed the new version of 3.4.2

    Not good.

    I could not get the computer to install - it froze - and after five attemps,
    I had to get into Safe Mode to dump Kodak 3.4.2

    After speaking with five people from Kodak Support, they said that 3.4.2 is
    no longer supported (eventhough I received the Card Reader from Kodak with
    3.4.2 yesterday!) and that I should download Kodak Version 5.2 by going to:

    www.kodak.com/go/easysharesw/

    Question:
    If I want to use my Kodak LS420 digital camera with both the docking station
    *and* the card reader - should I dump 1.4 and now download and install 5.2?

    Kodak has said that I should not have both versions on my hard drive.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

    Eddy

    long eddy, Feb 2, 2006

  2. long eddy

    miles Guest

    long eddy wrote:

    > Question:
    > If I want to use my Kodak LS420 digital camera with both the docking station
    > *and* the card reader - should I dump 1.4 and now download and install 5.2?
    >
    > Kodak has said that I should not have both versions on my hard drive.

    Not sure why the card reader shipped with the older software. The
    latest version of EasyShare will work with both the card reader and
    docking station.

    If you had a newer computer with Windows XP you would not need Easyshare
    at all. While some people like it, I've found transferring directly
    with Windows works well and is easy.

    You could also plug your camera directly into your computers USB port
    bypassing both the card reader and docking station.

    miles, Feb 2, 2006

  3. miles wrote:
    > long eddy wrote:
    >
    >> Question:
    >> If I want to use my Kodak LS420 digital camera with both the docking
    >> station
    >> *and* the card reader - should I dump 1.4 and now download and install
    >> 5.2?
    >>
    >> Kodak has said that I should not have both versions on my hard drive.

    > Not sure why the card reader shipped with the older software. The
    > latest version of EasyShare will work with both the card reader and
    > docking station.
    >
    > If you had a newer computer with Windows XP you would not need Easyshare
    > at all. While some people like it, I've found transferring directly
    > with Windows works well and is easy.
    >
    > You could also plug your camera directly into your computers USB port
    > bypassing both the card reader and docking station.

    Transferring images directly from the camera to the PC is
    fraught with danger, unless you are powering the camera on an A.C. power
    supply. If the battery discharges or stumbles during the transfer, all
    your in-camera memory card images could be wiped out. Be careful.

    Morton

    Morton Linder, Feb 3, 2006
  4. long eddy

    Sammy Guest

    Morton Linder wrote:
    > miles wrote:
    >
    >> long eddy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Question:
    >>> If I want to use my Kodak LS420 digital camera with both the docking
    >>> station
    >>> *and* the card reader - should I dump 1.4 and now download and
    >>> install 5.2?
    >>>
    >>> Kodak has said that I should not have both versions on my hard drive.

    >> Not sure why the card reader shipped with the older software. The
    >> latest version of EasyShare will work with both the card reader and
    >> docking station.
    >>
    >> If you had a newer computer with Windows XP you would not need
    >> Easyshare at all. While some people like it, I've found transferring
    >> directly with Windows works well and is easy.
    >>
    >> You could also plug your camera directly into your computers USB port
    >> bypassing both the card reader and docking station.

    > Transferring images directly from the camera to the PC is
    > fraught with danger, unless you are powering the camera on an A.C. power
    > supply. If the battery discharges or stumbles during the transfer, all
    > your in-camera memory card images could be wiped out. Be careful.
    >
    > Morton

    Sheesh!! Morton, didn't we just go
    through this with a long and extended
    thread? Consensus of the submissions
    seemed to be that this 'might' be
    possible, but highly unlikely. To say
    it is "fraught with danger" is
    unreasonable paranoia and fear mongering!

    Sammy

    Sammy, Feb 3, 2006
  5. long eddy

    Ron Hunter Guest

    long eddy wrote:
    > Hello all,
    > I have a three year old Kodak LS420 camera which works fine.
    >
    > I recharge the batteries on a docking station and upload the files to my
    > hard drive on the same docking station as well.
    >
    > The software that this camera uses is:
    > Kodak Picture Software 1.4
    >
    > My computer is a Dell PC on Win 98 / PIII @ 350mhz w/ 128mb RAM
    >
    > I recently purchased an 8 in 1 Card Reader from Kodak in the event that the
    > docking station dies.
    >
    > In the package from Kodak was new software called:
    >
    > Kodak EasyShare Version 3.4.2
    >
    > Today, I dumped the old Kodak Picture software - 1.4 - from my computer and
    > installed the new version of 3.4.2
    >
    > Not good.
    >
    > I could not get the computer to install - it froze - and after five attemps,
    > I had to get into Safe Mode to dump Kodak 3.4.2
    >
    > After speaking with five people from Kodak Support, they said that 3.4.2 is
    > no longer supported (eventhough I received the Card Reader from Kodak with
    > 3.4.2 yesterday!) and that I should download Kodak Version 5.2 by going to:
    >
    > www.kodak.com/go/easysharesw/
    >
    > Question:
    > If I want to use my Kodak LS420 digital camera with both the docking station
    > *and* the card reader - should I dump 1.4 and now download and install 5.2?
    >
    > Kodak has said that I should not have both versions on my hard drive.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Eddy

    Eddy,
    No, not on your computer. Reinstall the older version, and wait
    until you upgrade the computer to something current for changing to the
    newer software.
    I am sure you are aware that your computer is a museum piece. Sometimes
    it is better to use the software designed for the older, slower, computers.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 3, 2006
  6. long eddy

    miles Guest

    Morton Linder wrote:

    > Transferring images directly from the camera to the PC is
    > fraught with danger, unless you are powering the camera on an A.C. power
    > supply. If the battery discharges or stumbles during the transfer, all
    > your in-camera memory card images could be wiped out. Be careful.

    By direct I meant using just normal windows XP features rather than some
    3rd party software such as EasyShare.

    I have at times connected my camera to the USB port of my PC to transfer
    and have had the batteries die part way through. The only photo messed
    up is the very last one transferred and only the PC's copy of it.
    Camera card has always been just fine. I rarely use a card reader and
    instead use the docking station. A card reader is just one more thing
    to plug into my PC and clutter my already over crowded desk up! Plus I
    don't like having to constantly remove the card from the camera.

    miles, Feb 3, 2006
  7. long eddy

    long eddy Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message:

    > Eddy,
    > No, not on your computer. Reinstall the older version, and wait
    > until you upgrade the computer to something current for changing to the
    > newer software.
    > I am sure you are aware that your computer is a museum piece. Sometimes
    > it is better to use the software designed for the older, slower,

    computers.
    --------------------------------------

    That's what I did for the time being.

    However, if the docking station dies and I want to use the 8 in 1 card
    reader, I'm trying to figure out whether the newer Kodak software - 5.2 -
    will be compatible with my Dell / Win98 / P III @ 350 mhz / 128mb RAM.

    On the Kodak site - it says that 5.2 is is compatible with Win98.

    Eddy

    long eddy, Feb 3, 2006
  8. long eddy

    Ron Baird Guest

    long eddy wrote:

    >Hello all,
    >I have a three year old Kodak LS420 camera which works fine.
    >
    >I recharge the batteries on a docking station and upload the files to my
    >hard drive on the same docking station as well.
    >
    >The software that this camera uses is:
    >Kodak Picture Software 1.4
    >
    >My computer is a Dell PC on Win 98 / PIII @ 350mhz w/ 128mb RAM
    >
    >I recently purchased an 8 in 1 Card Reader from Kodak in the event that the
    >docking station dies.
    >
    >In the package from Kodak was new software called:
    >
    >Kodak EasyShare Version 3.4.2
    >
    >Today, I dumped the old Kodak Picture software - 1.4 - from my computer and
    >installed the new version of 3.4.2
    >
    >Not good.
    >
    >I could not get the computer to install - it froze - and after five attemps,
    >I had to get into Safe Mode to dump Kodak 3.4.2
    >
    >After speaking with five people from Kodak Support, they said that 3.4.2 is
    >no longer supported (eventhough I received the Card Reader from Kodak with
    >3.4.2 yesterday!) and that I should download Kodak Version 5.2 by going to:
    >
    >www.kodak.com/go/easysharesw/
    >
    >Question:
    >If I want to use my Kodak LS420 digital camera with both the docking station
    >*and* the card reader - should I dump 1.4 and now download and install 5.2?
    >
    >Kodak has said that I should not have both versions on my hard drive.
    >
    >Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >Thank you.
    >
    >Eddy

    Greetings Eddy,

    You do not need the older versions of software. I suggest that you
    remove them from the system and follow the directions to download
    version 5.2 (a much better program). I am sure you will enjoy it. There
    are several options you can use to install, but since you already have
    the camera try the following URL which will take you directly to the ver
    52. download option. Just click on Open and the new version will
    install. Let me know if you have trouble.

    You have an OK system though it is an earlier technology. I suggest that
    you be careful of new software and make sure you read the system
    requirements. In the case of EasyShare, they are:

    * Microsoft Windows 98, 98 Second Edition, Me, 2000, XP Home
    Edition, or XP Professional operating system
    * 233 MHz Pentium II processor
    * 64 MB RAM (128 MB RAM for 2000 or XP)
    * 200 MB available hard disk space
    * Available USB port
    * Color monitor with a resolution of 800 x 600 pixels, high color
    (16-bit)
    * CD-ROM drive
    * Apple QuickTime player v6.3 or later to play a movie file

    If you have these, which you likely do, the new software will work.

    Enjoy, and talk to you soon.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Feb 3, 2006
  9. long eddy

    Ron Hunter Guest

    long eddy wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message:
    >
    >> Eddy,
    >> No, not on your computer. Reinstall the older version, and wait
    >> until you upgrade the computer to something current for changing to the
    >> newer software.
    >> I am sure you are aware that your computer is a museum piece. Sometimes
    >> it is better to use the software designed for the older, slower,

    > computers.
    > --------------------------------------
    >
    > That's what I did for the time being.
    >
    > However, if the docking station dies and I want to use the 8 in 1 card
    > reader, I'm trying to figure out whether the newer Kodak software - 5.2 -
    > will be compatible with my Dell / Win98 / P III @ 350 mhz / 128mb RAM.
    >
    > On the Kodak site - it says that 5.2 is is compatible with Win98.
    >
    > Eddy

    It may load, and run, but the software really needs a much faster
    computer with much more ram. I recommend staying with the older
    software until you update your computer hardware.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 4, 2006
  10. long eddy

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ron Baird wrote:
    > long eddy wrote:
    >> Hello all,
    >> I have a three year old Kodak LS420 camera which works fine.
    >>
    >> I recharge the batteries on a docking station and upload the files to my
    >> hard drive on the same docking station as well.
    >>
    >> The software that this camera uses is:
    >> Kodak Picture Software 1.4
    >>
    >> My computer is a Dell PC on Win 98 / PIII @ 350mhz w/ 128mb RAM
    >>
    >> I recently purchased an 8 in 1 Card Reader from Kodak in the event that the
    >> docking station dies.
    >>
    >> In the package from Kodak was new software called:
    >>
    >> Kodak EasyShare Version 3.4.2
    >>
    >> Today, I dumped the old Kodak Picture software - 1.4 - from my computer and
    >> installed the new version of 3.4.2
    >>
    >> Not good.
    >>
    >> I could not get the computer to install - it froze - and after five attemps,
    >> I had to get into Safe Mode to dump Kodak 3.4.2
    >>
    >> After speaking with five people from Kodak Support, they said that 3.4.2 is
    >> no longer supported (eventhough I received the Card Reader from Kodak with
    >> 3.4.2 yesterday!) and that I should download Kodak Version 5.2 by going to:
    >>
    >> www.kodak.com/go/easysharesw/
    >>
    >> Question:
    >> If I want to use my Kodak LS420 digital camera with both the docking station
    >> *and* the card reader - should I dump 1.4 and now download and install 5.2?
    >>
    >> Kodak has said that I should not have both versions on my hard drive.
    >>
    >> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> Eddy
    >>

    > Greetings Eddy,
    >
    > You do not need the older versions of software. I suggest that you
    > remove them from the system and follow the directions to download
    > version 5.2 (a much better program). I am sure you will enjoy it. There
    > are several options you can use to install, but since you already have
    > the camera try the following URL which will take you directly to the ver
    > 52. download option. Just click on Open and the new version will
    > install. Let me know if you have trouble.
    >
    > You have an OK system though it is an earlier technology. I suggest that
    > you be careful of new software and make sure you read the system
    > requirements. In the case of EasyShare, they are:
    >
    > * Microsoft Windows 98, 98 Second Edition, Me, 2000, XP Home
    > Edition, or XP Professional operating system
    > * 233 MHz Pentium II processor
    > * 64 MB RAM (128 MB RAM for 2000 or XP)
    > * 200 MB available hard disk space
    > * Available USB port
    > * Color monitor with a resolution of 800 x 600 pixels, high color
    > (16-bit)
    > * CD-ROM drive
    > * Apple QuickTime player v6.3 or later to play a movie file
    >
    > If you have these, which you likely do, the new software will work.
    >
    > Enjoy, and talk to you soon.
    >
    > Ron Baird
    > Eastman Kodak Company

    Work? Well, if one is terribly patient. The software runs very slowly
    on my AMD Athlon XP 1.8Ghz system. I can't imagine anyone using it on
    the mentioned system, and feeling anything but disgust.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 4, 2006
  11. long eddy

    Ron Baird Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

> [...]

    >> requirements. In the case of EasyShare, they are:
    >>
    >> * Microsoft Windows 98, 98 Second Edition, Me, 2000, XP Home
    >> Edition, or XP Professional operating system
    >> * 233 MHz Pentium II processor
    >> * 64 MB RAM (128 MB RAM for 2000 or XP)
    >> * 200 MB available hard disk space
    >> * Available USB port
    >> * Color monitor with a resolution of 800 x 600 pixels, high color
    >> (16-bit)
    >> * CD-ROM drive
    >> * Apple QuickTime player v6.3 or later to play a movie file
    >>
    >> If you have these, which you likely do, the new software will work.
    >>
    >> Enjoy, and talk to you soon.
    >>
    >> Ron Baird
    >> Eastman Kodak Company
    >>

    > Work? Well, if one is terribly patient. The software runs very
    > slowly on my AMD Athlon XP 1.8Ghz system. I can't imagine anyone
    > using it on the mentioned system, and feeling anything but disgust.

    Hi Ron,

    I guess you are right, but more than likely any of the newer software
    available today will do the same thing. I guess my point was that it
    will work if he wants to wait long enough. I have been trying to work on
    an old laptop that my Daughter got from her Sister. Tedious! But it
    works. On a modem connection as well. Paitence is golden and will pay
    off if you have no other options.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Feb 7, 2006
  12. long eddy

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ron Baird wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Ron Baird wrote:

    >>> Greetings Eddy,
    >>>
    >>> You do not need the older versions of software. I suggest that you
    >>> remove them from the system and follow the directions to download
    >>> version 5.2 (a much better program). I am sure you will enjoy it.
    >>> There are several options you can use to install, but since you
    >>> already have the camera try the following URL which will take you
    >>> directly to the ver 52. download option. Just click on Open and the
    >>> new version will install. Let me know if you have trouble.
    >>>
    >>> You have an OK system though it is an earlier technology. I suggest
    >>> that you be careful of new software and make sure you read the system
    >>> requirements. In the case of EasyShare, they are:
    >>>
    >>> * Microsoft Windows 98, 98 Second Edition, Me, 2000, XP Home
    >>> Edition, or XP Professional operating system
    >>> * 233 MHz Pentium II processor
    >>> * 64 MB RAM (128 MB RAM for 2000 or XP)
    >>> * 200 MB available hard disk space
    >>> * Available USB port
    >>> * Color monitor with a resolution of 800 x 600 pixels, high color
    >>> (16-bit)
    >>> * CD-ROM drive
    >>> * Apple QuickTime player v6.3 or later to play a movie file
    >>>
    >>> If you have these, which you likely do, the new software will work.
    >>>
    >>> Enjoy, and talk to you soon.
    >>>
    >>> Ron Baird
    >>> Eastman Kodak Company
    >>>

    >> Work? Well, if one is terribly patient. The software runs very
    >> slowly on my AMD Athlon XP 1.8Ghz system. I can't imagine anyone
    >> using it on the mentioned system, and feeling anything but disgust.

    > Hi Ron,
    >
    > I guess you are right, but more than likely any of the newer software
    > available today will do the same thing. I guess my point was that it
    > will work if he wants to wait long enough. I have been trying to work on
    > an old laptop that my Daughter got from her Sister. Tedious! But it
    > works. On a modem connection as well. Paitence is golden and will pay
    > off if you have no other options.
    >
    > Talk to you soon,
    >
    > Ron Baird
    > Eastman Kodak Company