    Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.

    Thank you for your time.

    Andrew

    Andrew Burtenshaw, Apr 14, 2005

  2. Just to clarify I don't know why I put printer in the title it is not a
    printer just a docking station.

    "Andrew Burtenshaw" <> wrote in
    message news:425e6c11$0$2598$...

    Andrew Burtenshaw, Apr 14, 2005

  3. Andrew Burtenshaw

    TCS Guest

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:13:36 +0100, Andrew Burtenshaw <> wrote:
    >I recently bought a Kodak DX7440 and 6000 Camera Dock. Unfortunately the
    >AC/DC adapter for the dock was extremely lose and would fall out at the
    >slightest movement. As the adapter worked fine with the camera I contacted
    >Kodak UK support and they arranged for me to return the Camera Dock and
    >power adapter for rectification. Within a week I had the unit back and was
    >very impressed until I opened the box. Kodak had replaced the adapter with
    >another and that was as lose as the original. So is this problem a "feature"
    >of the dock, I have contacted Kodak again and they are arranging for me to
    >return the unit again but I am not convinced that this time there will be a
    >different out come.

    >As I bought the camera for a holiday I am going on in a week I am not sure
    >whether there is any point sending the unit back again and being with out
    >the facilities of the dock for the holiday.

    >Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.

    duct tape or perhaps well placed cable ties.

    TCS, Apr 14, 2005
  4. Andrew Burtenshaw

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Andrew Burtenshaw wrote:
    > I recently bought a Kodak DX7440 and 6000 Camera Dock. Unfortunately the
    > AC/DC adapter for the dock was extremely lose and would fall out at the
    > slightest movement. As the adapter worked fine with the camera I contacted
    > Kodak UK support and they arranged for me to return the Camera Dock and
    > power adapter for rectification. Within a week I had the unit back and was
    > very impressed until I opened the box. Kodak had replaced the adapter with
    > another and that was as lose as the original. So is this problem a "feature"
    > of the dock, I have contacted Kodak again and they are arranging for me to
    > return the unit again but I am not convinced that this time there will be a
    > different out come.
    >
    > As I bought the camera for a holiday I am going on in a week I am not sure
    > whether there is any point sending the unit back again and being with out
    > the facilities of the dock for the holiday.
    >
    > Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you for your time.
    >
    > Andrew

    I have the DX6440, and the plug is indeed a bit on the loose side. I
    suspect the plug on the adapter is a bit smaller than specified. Such
    things happen. I have a USB 4 port adapter that is MUCH worse. If I
    just jar the desk, it will come loose. Seems it is loose, again. Sigh.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Apr 14, 2005
  5. Yeah that sort of solution had crossed my mind and if it is a know fault
    others have experienced I will have to opt for it. Just a shame that that
    you have to start modifying new kit.

    Andrew Burtenshaw, Apr 14, 2005
  6. "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Andrew Burtenshaw wrote:
    >> I recently bought a Kodak DX7440 and 6000 Camera Dock. Unfortunately the
    >> AC/DC adapter for the dock was extremely lose and would fall out at the
    >> slightest movement. As the adapter worked fine with the camera I
    >> contacted Kodak UK support and they arranged for me to return the Camera
    >> Dock and power adapter for rectification. Within a week I had the unit
    >> back and was very impressed until I opened the box. Kodak had replaced
    >> the adapter with another and that was as lose as the original. So is this
    >> problem a "feature" of the dock, I have contacted Kodak again and they
    >> are arranging for me to return the unit again but I am not convinced that
    >> this time there will be a different out come.
    >>
    >> As I bought the camera for a holiday I am going on in a week I am not
    >> sure whether there is any point sending the unit back again and being
    >> with out the facilities of the dock for the holiday.
    >>
    >> Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thank you for your time.
    >>
    >> Andrew

    > I have the DX6440, and the plug is indeed a bit on the loose side. I
    > suspect the plug on the adapter is a bit smaller than specified. Such
    > things happen. I have a USB 4 port adapter that is MUCH worse. If I just
    > jar the desk, it will come loose. Seems it is loose, again. Sigh.
    >

    > --
    > Ron Hunter

    I had a feeling it might be a design fault. Thanks for the info.

    Andrew Burtenshaw, Apr 14, 2005
  7. Andrew Burtenshaw

    TCS Guest

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:43:53 +0100, Andrew Burtenshaw <> wrote:
    >Yeah that sort of solution had crossed my mind and if it is a know fault
    >others have experienced I will have to opt for it. Just a shame that that
    >you have to start modifying new kit.

    Could be worse, like the power jacks on some IBM thinkpads that are easily
    broken off the circuit boards.

    Sometimes the best thing to do is be quick to return the product and don't even
    let the manufacturer try to fix it.

    If you know any electronics geeks, it may be possible to figure out a solution
    that isn't apparent without a close physical inspection. Solder the
    wire directly into the dock and get rid of the mediocre jack? Reach in to the
    jack with a jeweler's screwdriver and bend out the grounding tab a bit to make
    the connection tighter?

    TCS, Apr 14, 2005
  8. "TCS" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:43:53 +0100, Andrew Burtenshaw
    > <> wrote:
    >>Yeah that sort of solution had crossed my mind and if it is a know fault
    >>others have experienced I will have to opt for it. Just a shame that that
    >>you have to start modifying new kit.

    > Could be worse, like the power jacks on some IBM thinkpads that are easily
    > broken off the circuit boards.
    >
    > Sometimes the best thing to do is be quick to return the product and don't
    > even
    > let the manufacturer try to fix it.
    >
    > If you know any electronics geeks, it may be possible to figure out a
    > solution
    > that isn't apparent without a close physical inspection. Solder the
    > wire directly into the dock and get rid of the mediocre jack? Reach in to
    > the
    > jack with a jeweler's screwdriver and bend out the grounding tab a bit to
    > make
    > the connection tighter?

    I have had a go at the grounding tab to try and improve the situation with
    out much luck. As for removing the case I am not going to admit to doing
    that because of the warranty. :)

    Thanks for your imput.

    Andrew Burtenshaw, Apr 14, 2005
  9. Andrew Burtenshaw

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Andrew Burtenshaw wrote:
    > Just to clarify I don't know why I put printer in the title it is not a
    > printer just a docking station.
    >
    > "Andrew Burtenshaw" <> wrote in
    > message news:425e6c11$0$2598$...
    >
    >>I recently bought a Kodak DX7440 and 6000 Camera Dock. Unfortunately the
    >>AC/DC adapter for the dock was extremely lose and would fall out at the
    >>slightest movement. As the adapter worked fine with the camera I contacted
    >>Kodak UK support and they arranged for me to return the Camera Dock and
    >>power adapter for rectification. Within a week I had the unit back and was
    >>very impressed until I opened the box. Kodak had replaced the adapter with
    >>another and that was as lose as the original. So is this problem a
    >>"feature" of the dock, I have contacted Kodak again and they are arranging
    >>for me to return the unit again but I am not convinced that this time there
    >>will be a different out come.
    >>
    >>As I bought the camera for a holiday I am going on in a week I am not sure
    >>whether there is any point sending the unit back again and being with out
    >>the facilities of the dock for the holiday.
    >>
    >>Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.
    >>
    >>Thank you for your time.
    >>
    >>Andrew

    Doesn't matter. Same comment. It seems the plugs aren't exactly the
    right diameter, or the jacks don't have enough spring tension. In
    either case, a bit of tape will solve the problem in most cases.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Apr 14, 2005
  10. Andrew Burtenshaw

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Andrew Burtenshaw wrote:
    >
    >> I recently bought a Kodak DX7440 and 6000 Camera Dock. Unfortunately
    >> the AC/DC adapter for the dock was extremely lose and would fall out
    >> at the slightest movement. As the adapter worked fine with the camera
    >> I contacted Kodak UK support and they arranged for me to return the
    >> Camera Dock and power adapter for rectification. Within a week I had
    >> the unit back and was very impressed until I opened the box. Kodak had
    >> replaced the adapter with another and that was as lose as the
    >> original. So is this problem a "feature" of the dock, I have contacted
    >> Kodak again and they are arranging for me to return the unit again but
    >> I am not convinced that this time there will be a different out come.
    >>
    >> As I bought the camera for a holiday I am going on in a week I am not
    >> sure whether there is any point sending the unit back again and being
    >> with out the facilities of the dock for the holiday.
    >>
    >> Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thank you for your time.
    >>
    >> Andrew
    >>

    > I have the DX6440, and the plug is indeed a bit on the loose side. I
    > suspect the plug on the adapter is a bit smaller than specified. Such
    > things happen. I have a USB 4 port adapter that is MUCH worse. If I
    > just jar the desk, it will come loose. Seems it is loose, again. Sigh.

    Seems rather than being loose, it has stopped working. Either the brick
    has become unplugged (bad since it is behind the computer desk, and my
    back isn't up to moving desks these days). No real damage since the
    dock is the only thing plugged into the stupid thing, and I can always
    plug it into the USB port in the front if I just HAVE to access it.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Apr 14, 2005
  11. Andrew Burtenshaw

    Ronald Baird Guest

    Greetings Andrew,

    Yikes, sorry to hear that the adapter is loose. Since you have taken the
    right action by contacting the Kodak team in the UK, you should be getting
    an adapter and dock that work well together. I have heard of that happening
    once in a while? When you get the next dock and adapter, let me know if
    things work out for you. If not I will be glad to make sure we check on
    what is happening and get you a dock that is working correctly.

    Talk to you soon Andrew,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ronald Baird, Apr 18, 2005
  12. I have the same problem with my 6000 dock. Seems like this is not an
    isolated case. I regretted buying the dock anyway, since I transfer
    photos with the supplied USB cable and recharge the battery in the wall
    charger (included in Canada but not in the US). Poor plug design or poor
    quality control at the factory.

    pIxEL8eD_nITs, Apr 19, 2005
  13. Andrew Burtenshaw

    Ron Hunter Guest

    pIxEL8eD_nITs wrote:
    > I have the same problem with my 6000 dock. Seems like this is not an
    > isolated case. I regretted buying the dock anyway, since I transfer
    > photos with the supplied USB cable and recharge the battery in the wall
    > charger (included in Canada but not in the US). Poor plug design or poor
    > quality control at the factory.
    >
    > Ronald Baird wrote:
    >
    >>Greetings Andrew,
    >>
    >>Yikes, sorry to hear that the adapter is loose. Since you have taken the
    >>right action by contacting the Kodak team in the UK, you should be getting
    >>an adapter and dock that work well together. I have heard of that happening
    >>once in a while? When you get the next dock and adapter, let me know if
    >>things work out for you. If not I will be glad to make sure we check on
    >>what is happening and get you a dock that is working correctly.
    >>
    >>Talk to you soon Andrew,
    >>
    >>Ron Baird
    >>Eastman Kodak Company
    >>
    >>"Andrew Burtenshaw" <> wrote in
    >>message news:425e6c11$0$2598$...
    >>
    >>>I recently bought a Kodak DX7440 and 6000 Camera Dock. Unfortunately the
    >>>AC/DC adapter for the dock was extremely lose and would fall out at the
    >>>slightest movement. As the adapter worked fine with the camera I contacted
    >>>Kodak UK support and they arranged for me to return the Camera Dock and
    >>>power adapter for rectification. Within a week I had the unit back and was
    >>>very impressed until I opened the box. Kodak had replaced the adapter with
    >>>another and that was as lose as the original. So is this problem a

    >>"feature"
    >>
    >>>of the dock, I have contacted Kodak again and they are arranging for me to
    >>>return the unit again but I am not convinced that this time there will be

    >>>different out come.
    >>>
    >>>As I bought the camera for a holiday I am going on in a week I am not sure
    >>>whether there is any point sending the unit back again and being with out
    >>>the facilities of the dock for the holiday.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Thank you for your time.
    >>>
    >>>Andrew

    I find the dock convenient for transferring a few pictures, but prefer
    USB 2.0 transfers for a lot of pictures. I use the dock to keep the
    batteries ready to go all the time, and keep three sets of NIMH
    batteries recharged with a Maha charger in case I need to do a LOT of
    shooting on short notice, and also keep a lithium battery for
    emergencies. And, yes, I have had to use the lithium in a few cases...

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Apr 19, 2005
  14. Thanks for all your replies

    I have not decided whether to send the unit back as it seems others have the
    same problem and I may need it while I am away. However I am encouraged but
    the fact it got a reply from a Kodak employee who is clearly more competent
    than the telephone operators I have had to deal with up to now. I have all
    the return details and will probably have a go at returning the unit when I
    return from my trip.

    Thanks for your time

    Regards

    Andrew