Kodak Print Station rocks! Why didn't I try one before?? :)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bay Area Dave, May 27, 2004.

  1. I received a coupon in the mail, good for 10 free pictures
    at a Kodak Print Station so I decided to give it a try. My
    wife and I were amazed at the great quality of the pictures
    compared with printing at home on an HP Inkjet. The gal
    behind the counter said it uses a Laser printer. Whatever
    it is, it looks very, very close to a picture made in a
    photolab from a negative. I doubt I'll ever bother to spend
    hours printing inferior pictures at home on my inkjet. It
    takes too long, and between the ink and the paper costs, I
    don't save a thing. the 4 x 6's were 36 cents at the
    Walmart Kodak kiosk. You can scan prints on a flatbed
    scanner, insert all the popular camera memory cards, use
    bluetooth (PDA's and camera phones) and CD's. While I
    didn't avail myself of the options, you can enlarge,
    "enhance" (don't know the extent of that feature), zoom,
    crop, reduce red-eye, add text and borders. The whole
    process takes just a couple of minutes for 4 x6's and 8 x
    10's. The pictures are semi-glossy. They are MORE shiny
    than the 1 Hour photo pictures that Walmart makes, but not
    super shiny like the Costco prints.

    For the price and convenience, I HIGHLY recommend giving
    this a try.

    dave

    Bay Area Dave, May 27, 2004

  2. In article <oQrtc.4853$>,
    Bay Area Dave <> wrote:

    > For the price and convenience, I HIGHLY recommend giving
    > this a try.
    > dave

    O shucks,,..... thanks for the advice, next time (never) I go to Walmart
    I'll check it out.....golly gee wiz.

    Any Moose Poster, May 27, 2004

  3. I'm sure you can find the unit in places other than Walmart;
    I just mentioned Walmart because that is where I found the
    Kodak kiosk. smartass...

    dave

    Bay Area Dave, May 27, 2004
  4. Bay Area Dave

    Mardon Guest

    "Bay Area Dave" <> wrote...
    > I received a coupon in the mail, good for 10 free pictures
    > at a Kodak Print Station so I decided to give it a try...

    > the 4 x 6's were 36 cents at the Walmart Kodak kiosk...

    Rather than using Kodak print station kiosks, I prefer those machines that
    connect directly to the normal one-hour, print processing equipment. You
    just insert a flash card, floppy or CD, select the photo(s) that you want,
    the picture size, finish type, border or borderless, then enter your name
    and telephone number and come back in an hour to pick up your pictures.
    When doing this, I always prepare my images in advance using Photoshop.
    This avoids cropping and I also leave instructions with my order that there
    are to be no adjustments made for colour or density. This way I can be
    fairly certain that my pictures will come out as expected, without leaving
    things like colour to the judgment of the machine operator. Incidentally,
    in Canada Walmart's price for these prints is 25¢ each for a 4"x6". (That's
    approx. US18¢)

    Mardon, May 27, 2004
  5. Bay Area Dave

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Dave,

    Glad to hear you are pleased, Dave, and I am sure you are referring to the
    Kodak Picture Maker.

    Actually, the printer is really a Dye Thermal printer, not a laser printer.
    The quality is extremely good. Of course, it is based on the quality of the
    original image being used. Kodak announced a small version of that
    technology in the Kodak Printer Dock for its EasyShare Cameras. It prints
    in the 4x6 format. You can attach one directly to your computer to make as
    many prints as you like. Excellent.

    For a review of that printer, try visiting the following site.

    http://www.kodak.com/go/printerdock

    Should you ever have any questions on this printer, or any other Kodak
    product, let me know. I am glad to help you.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, May 27, 2004
  6. Bay Area Dave

    John Tucker Guest

    Ron Baird wrote:
    > Kodak announced a small version of that technology in the Kodak Printer

    Dock for its
    > EasyShare Cameras. It prints in the 4x6 format. You can attach one

    directly to your >computer to make as many prints as you like.

    Ron,

    Are you saying that I can connect an EasyShare Printer Dock directly to my
    computer and print photos, regardless of whether I use a Kodak camera?

    John
    Texas, USA

    John Tucker, May 27, 2004
  7. Ron, thanks for the clarification of the technology; it sure
    gives nice results! Had I not received the coupon for a
    free trial of the Kodak equipment, I might not ever given it
    a try!

    I have a question for you. Are there controls to adjust
    saturation, contrast, brightness, or tint? When I selected
    the images to print, I didn't notice any options, but I
    wasn't LOOKING particularly for any, either. I could adjust
    my photo files before taking them into the store if those
    parameters need to be tweaked if the Kodak unit doesn't have
    those features.

    I see from the URL you provided that the printerdock uses
    thermal dye as well; does it provide identical results to
    the unit I used in Walmart, or would there be some subtle or
    not-so-subtle differences in print quality?

    I'm gonna have to start throwing rocks at my HP970cse... :)

    dave

    Bay Area Dave, May 28, 2004
  8. Bay Area Dave

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: Kodak Print Station rocks! Why didn't I try one before?? :)
    >From: Any Moose Poster Bullwinks@bullwinkle&rockie.net
    >Date: 5/27/04 1:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >In article <oQrtc.4853$>,
    > Bay Area Dave <> wrote:
    >
    >> For the price and convenience, I HIGHLY recommend giving
    >> this a try.
    >> dave

    >O shucks,,..... thanks for the advice, next time (never) I go to Walmart
    >I'll check it out.....golly gee wiz.

    Just got a beautiful 16x20 back from Kodak shot with my DX 6490. Who needs M
    Leicas?

    Arthur Kramer
    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, May 28, 2004
  9. Bay Area Dave

    Guest

    Download AlbumFamiy software at http://www.albumsfamily.com to help
    you
    With its Image Browser, you can manage your images as easily as you
    can imagine; its Image Viewer shows your images in the most advanced
    Virtual Album; the PhotoEdit and Photofun functions give you wide room
    to adjust your images and make all kinds of prints such as postcards,
    cards, stationery and so on; what's more, the Bundled Functions allow
    you to scan images and send images to your specified destination just
    by a single click. With AlbumFamily, You can establish the most
    beautiful albums for yourself, your family and your friends, you can
    produce your own style stationery on your desk. You will never find
    another application software which fits you so well and satisfy you so
    much!

    , May 28, 2004
  10. Bay Area Dave

    Trevor S Guest

    "Ron Baird" <> wrote in

    <Snip>

    > For a review of that printer, try visiting the following site.
    >
    > http://www.kodak.com/go/printerdock
    >
    > Should you ever have any questions on this printer, or any other Kodak
    > product, let me know. I am glad to help you.

    This little printer/printer dock does do a good job, I was suprised !Kudos
    to Kodak for coming up with an excellent solution, charges, prints,
    transfers to the PC etc. While it's not for me, it is simple to use turn-
    key system. In Aus. the cost of the refills is prohibitive (they may come
    down with time). My wife uses one with her DX 6490.

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein

    Trevor S, May 28, 2004
  11. Bay Area Dave

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi John,

    Sure, just install the drivers and print away. The printer is terrific and
    if you had a Kodak camera it would charge the batteries, allow you to scroll
    through your pictures, etc. If you want to print from some other software,
    then follow the process below.
    1.. Make sure the Kodak EasyShare printer dock 6000 software is installed
    (see Installing the Software), and the printer dock is connected to your
    computer (see Connecting to a Computer).

    2.. Open the pictures you wish to print in the application from which you
    want to print.

    3.. Access printer settings by selecting Print or Page Setup from the File
    menu (depending on your application and platform).

    4.. Make sure that Kodak Printer Dock is selected as the printer and that
    paper size in Windows is set to 4" x 6" (102 x 152 mm). On Mac OS X, make
    sure paper size is set to Photo Paper.

    5.. Change any other settings if needed, then click OK or Print. Depending
    on your application and platform, you may first need to return to the main
    menu and select Print from the File menu.

    The prints are great. Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, May 28, 2004
  12. Bay Area Dave

    John Tucker Guest

    Ron Baird wrote:
    > Hi John,
    >
    > Sure, just install the drivers and print away. The printer is
    > terrific and if you had a Kodak camera it would charge the batteries,
    > allow you to scroll through your pictures, etc. If you want to print
    > from some other software, then follow the process below.
    > 1.. Make sure the Kodak EasyShare printer dock 6000 software is
    > installed (see Installing the Software), and the printer dock is
    > connected to your computer (see Connecting to a Computer).
    >
    > 2.. Open the pictures you wish to print in the application from
    > which you want to print.
    >
    > 3.. Access printer settings by selecting Print or Page Setup from
    > the File menu (depending on your application and platform).
    >
    > 4.. Make sure that Kodak Printer Dock is selected as the printer
    > and that paper size in Windows is set to 4" x 6" (102 x 152 mm). On
    > Mac OS X, make sure paper size is set to Photo Paper.
    >
    > 5.. Change any other settings if needed, then click OK or Print.
    > Depending on your application and platform, you may first need to
    > return to the main menu and select Print from the File menu.
    >
    > The prints are great. Talk to you soon,
    >
    > Ron Baird
    > Eastman Kodak Company

    This is great, Ron! I'm definitely going to have to check into one of these.

    Thanks!

    John
    Texas, USA

    John Tucker, May 28, 2004