Kodak Picturecenter print resolution

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Elizabeth Buie, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. I've shot some digital photos of a new baby in my family, and the parents
    want to use the Kodak Picturecenter to get smallish prints (wallets and up
    4x6s) for the birth announcement. (We're going to get larger prints done
    at my regular lab.) I've looked around the Picturecenter site

    (https://picturecenter.kodak.com/start/kpcSTHomePage.jsp?retailerid=TARGET)

    and cannot find any information on the image file requirements, other than
    that they must be JPEGs of 5MB or less. I was hoping to find something
    about the dpi of their printers, but no luck.

    Anyone know?

    Failing that, does anyone have any suggestions for what to assume?

    Obviously, I want to use the smallest size that will give acceptable prints
    for the purpose.

    TIA,
    Elizabeth

    --
    Elizabeth Buie
    AEsthetic Images Photography: http://www.aesthetic-images.com/
    Elizabeth Buie, Feb 20, 2004

  2. Elizabeth Buie

    AArDvarK Guest

    Go to Walmart and use their system ... archival prints
    that last a long time. Saw the commercial.
    Alex

    AArDvarK, Feb 21, 2004

  3. Elizabeth Buie, Feb 21, 2004
  4. Elizabeth Buie

    Ron Andrews Guest

    The Kodak kiosks that I've used have a thermal printer that delivers
    300 pixels per inch (ppi) at 24 bits per pixel. This is considerably better
    than 300 dots per inch (dpi). (I'm not interested in re-opening the debate
    on exactly how much better.) It delivers almost all of the detail the naked
    eye can perceive.

    --
    Ron Andrews
    http://members.hostedscripts.com/antispam.html
    Ron Andrews, Feb 21, 2004
  5. In article <IvJZb.71656$>,
    "Ron Andrews" <> wrote:

    > The Kodak kiosks that I've used have a thermal printer that delivers
    > 300 pixels per inch (ppi) at 24 bits per pixel. This is considerably better
    > than 300 dots per inch (dpi). (I'm not interested in re-opening the debate
    > on exactly how much better.) It delivers almost all of the detail the naked
    > eye can perceive.

    I don't know how this differs (if at all) from what they're using, which
    is to upload the images to the Picturecenter web site and have them printed
    at Target. But since the equipment is all Kodak, I suspect it might have
    the same characteristics.

    Thanks, Ron.

    Elizabeth
    AEsthetic Images Photography: http://www.aesthetic-images.com/
    Elizabeth Buie, Feb 22, 2004
  6. Elizabeth Buie

    Dave Guest

    Elizabeth Buie <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I've shot some digital photos of a new baby in my family, and the parents
    > want to use the Kodak Picturecenter to get smallish prints (wallets and up
    > 4x6s) for the birth announcement. (We're going to get larger prints done
    > at my regular lab.) I've looked around the Picturecenter site
    >
    > (https://picturecenter.kodak.com/start/kpcSTHomePage.jsp?retailerid=TARGET)
    >
    > and cannot find any information on the image file requirements, other than
    > that they must be JPEGs of 5MB or less. I was hoping to find something
    > about the dpi of their printers, but no luck.
    >
    > Anyone know?
    >
    > Failing that, does anyone have any suggestions for what to assume?
    >
    > Obviously, I want to use the smallest size that will give acceptable prints
    > for the purpose.

    Go to Walmart and make a few prints on their Kodak "do-it-yourself"
    system and presume that the online picturecenter will probably produce
    equivalent results.
    Try your different file sizes to see if you can detect any difference
    in the results. I tried it the other day and just carried in a handful
    of floppies.
    The only things I didn't like was the lack of support for xD memory
    cards and that the 5x7's are available only in multiples of two and
    printed two per sheet so you have to cut them apart yourself later.
    Dave, Feb 22, 2004
  7. Elizabeth Buie

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Elizabeth,

    The minmum resolution is 254x381 pixels.

    Usually, however, Kodak recommends uploading the largest, or more correctly,
    the best file you have available. Send it along to make your prints. Kodak
    systems will adjust your file to provide the best or optimum results.

    Visit the following URL and review the Help area.

    http://www.picturecenter.kodak.com

    When you review the Help section of the PictureCenter Online, you will find
    more about file size and such. Enjoy, Elizabeth, and let me know if you
    need any help.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Feb 26, 2004
  8. Elizabeth Buie

    John Navas Guest

    [POSTED TO rec.photo.digital; PLEASE REPLY THERE]

    In <>, Elizabeth Buie
    <> wrote:

    >I've shot some digital photos of a new baby in my family, and the parents
    >want to use the Kodak Picturecenter to get smallish prints (wallets and up
    >4x6s) for the birth announcement. (We're going to get larger prints done
    >at my regular lab.) I've looked around the Picturecenter site
    >
    > (https://picturecenter.kodak.com/start/kpcSTHomePage.jsp?retailerid=TARGET)
    >
    >and cannot find any information on the image file requirements, other than
    >that they must be JPEGs of 5MB or less. I was hoping to find something
    >about the dpi of their printers, but no luck.
    >
    >Anyone know?
    >
    >Failing that, does anyone have any suggestions for what to assume?
    >
    >Obviously, I want to use the smallest size that will give acceptable prints
    >for the purpose.

    Anything more than about 250-300 dpi is overkill. That means you don't
    need more than about 2.1 megapixels for excellent 4x6's. At that
    resolution, figure about 1 to 1.5 megabytes for a good low-compression
    JPEG image. (More won't hurt.)

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>