    I would like to find out for CERTAIN as it is a longevity question.

    TIA,

    Tony.
    Tony, Sep 24, 2004

  2. Tony

    Ryadia Guest

    Re: Kodak Picture Maker Kiosks ....... do they use silver halide,or other (thermal, dye-sub or ink jet) technolgy?

    Tony wrote:
    > In addition to the header question, how sure are you of your
    > information source? I see their own page as saying they use real
    > 'photo quality paper'. That is what most ink-jet paper describes
    > itself and does not imply it uses silver halide.
    >
    > I would like to find out for CERTAIN as it is a longevity question.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Tony.

    The kiosks in Kodak franchised mini-labs are "dye-sublimation" printers.
    Until quite recently this was the only way to get a digital print from a
    digital camera which would last as long as a chemical photograph. I am
    100% sure of my source... It's Kodak themselves!

    Some lab operators may have a generic kiosk hooked into their chemical
    printers but the Kodak one which gives you your prints while you wait is
    definitely a Dye-Sub printer.

    Ryadia
    Ryadia, Sep 25, 2004

  3. Tony

    Steven Guest

    On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 23:36:42 +0100, Tony
    <> wrote:

    >In addition to the header question, how sure are you of your
    >information source? I see their own page as saying they use real
    >'photo quality paper'. That is what most ink-jet paper describes
    >itself and does not imply it uses silver halide.
    >
    >I would like to find out for CERTAIN as it is a longevity question.
    >
    >TIA,
    >
    >Tony.

    They are dye sub. The fuji frontier 1 hour machine do both negs and
    the lab will have a interface to get digtial files printed. I know
    Wolf, Ritz offer digtial print in as few as 10 minutes depending on
    volume in the lab.

    Steve
    Steven, Sep 25, 2004
  4. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Re: Kodak Picture Maker Kiosks ....... do they use silver halide, or other (thermal, dye-sub or ink jet) technolgy?

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:27:10 +1000, Ryadia
    <> wrote:

    >Tony wrote:
    >> In addition to the header question, how sure are you of your
    >> information source? I see their own page as saying they use real
    >> 'photo quality paper'. That is what most ink-jet paper describes
    >> itself and does not imply it uses silver halide.
    >>
    >> I would like to find out for CERTAIN as it is a longevity question.
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> Tony.

    >The kiosks in Kodak franchised mini-labs are "dye-sublimation" printers.
    >Until quite recently this was the only way to get a digital print from a
    >digital camera which would last as long as a chemical photograph. I am
    >100% sure of my source... It's Kodak themselves!
    >
    >Some lab operators may have a generic kiosk hooked into their chemical
    >printers but the Kodak one which gives you your prints while you wait is
    >definitely a Dye-Sub printer.
    >
    >Ryadia

    Thank you for answering this quaetion.

    Tony.
    Tony, Sep 26, 2004
  5. Tony

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Tony,

    The Picturemaker Kiosks use Dye Thermal paper and printers. The longevity
    of them is close to that of a properly processed and printed chemical based
    print. You can review details of this Kodak feature on their web site at:

    www.kodak.com/go/picturemaker

    The quality and longevity are excellent.

    Talk to you soon, let me know if you have questions.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Oct 5, 2004
  6. Tony

    Larry Guest

    In article <cjublf$rg6$>, says...
    > Greetings Tony,
    >
    > The Picturemaker Kiosks use Dye Thermal paper and printers. The longevity
    > of them is close to that of a properly processed and printed chemical based
    > print. You can review details of this Kodak feature on their web site at:
    >
    > www.kodak.com/go/picturemaker
    >
    > The quality and longevity are excellent.
    >
    > Talk to you soon, let me know if you have questions.
    >
    > Ron Baird
    > Eastman Kodak Company

    Last time I looked the people (Wilhelm (sp)) who test and certify such things
    as photo-paper, ink-jet paper, ink-jet inks and so on even rated the pictures
    from the Kodak Printer Dock (DYE-SUB) as lasting AT LEAST as long as a wet
    4x6 print, probably longer. I believe it was on the order of 40 years.

    If they (Kodak) put that much into a << $200 printer, Im sure their Kiosks
    are at least as good.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.