Kodak photo printing kiosk

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tony Belding, Jan 3, 2007.

  1. Tony Belding

    Tony Belding Guest

    These Kodak printing machines have been popping up recently -- one in
    my local drugstore, and another at the nearby (35 miles away) Wal-Mart
    Super Center. I haven't seen anything else written about them, so I
    thought I'd share my experiences.

    First, where am I coming from? For a few years I've used a Canon i560
    inkjet printer which was inexpensive when new and is now becoming
    rather dated. I used it mainly for printing text and web pages, rarely
    for prints. The few prints I ever made using generic paper and
    third-party (cheap) inks seemed okay, but I wasn't looking at them
    critically -- just once in a blue moon printing up a snapshot or two
    for the relatives.

    Recently I got my new DSLR and started thinking more seriously about
    prints. I printed a 8x10 test photo using the generic ink and paper,
    but I was disgusted by the poor color rendition. I then sprung for
    some genuine Canon paper and inks and tried again with the same image.
    The result was considerably better, but still considerably different
    from what I saw on my computer monitor.

    Buying a newer and better printer was an option, but realistically. . .
    How many prints do I expect to make?

    I decided to give the Kodak machine a test. I picked out 11 nice
    photos from my library and stored them on a USB flash drive, and today
    I took them back to the drug store. The kiosk has slots where you can
    insert just about any kind of media: 3.5" floppy disks, CD-Rs, many
    different kinds of flash cards, and USB drives. (It even has a
    scanner, so you can scan prints and make new prints from them.)

    My first attempt to use the machine was a failure -- it refused to read
    my flash drive, even though it works perfectly on all my computers
    here. I went home and copied all the images onto a SD card and then
    went back to give it another try. This time it was able to read my
    images, and I was in business. The touch screen interfacce is easy to
    use, though a bit slow. Soon I had the machine churning out 4x6
    prints. It also is able to make 5x7 and 8x10 prints, which is probably
    the next thing I'll try.

    I'm very happy with the results. The prints look sharp, and the colors
    are much more accurate than my inkjet printer. On my reference photo
    the colors are close to what I see on my monitor. Even with a
    magnifying glass I can't see any problems worthy of mention, as
    contrasted against the grainy texture and occasional "banding" effects
    from my i560.

    An important point to make is that I live in a small town which has
    *never* had any kind of film processing lab. Film always had to be
    shipped out for processing, then wait a week or more for prints to come
    back. From a convenience standpoint, this digital kiosk puts us a huge
    leap beyond where we were before.

    --
    Tony Belding, Hamilton Texas
    Tony Belding, Jan 3, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Tony Belding

    Bucky Guest

    Tony Belding wrote:
    > The touch screen interfacce is easy to
    > use, though a bit slow.


    Once I was going to use one, but the person in front of me was loading
    photos from a 1GB memory card, and they said that it was about 50%
    through, and they had already been waiting 15 minutes or so. That was
    ridiculous.

    > An important point to make is that I live in a small town which has
    > *never* had any kind of film processing lab. Film always had to be
    > shipped out for processing, then wait a week or more for prints to come
    > back. From a convenience standpoint, this digital kiosk puts us a huge
    > leap beyond where we were before.


    many places have automated 1 hr lab prints, where you upload the files
    on the internet, and they print them in an hour. But I guess if your
    small town doesn't have those, then the photo kiosk is the next best.
    Bucky, Jan 3, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Tony Belding

    nlehrer Guest

    i went to three of those machines. none of them would read my usb
    drive. everything else reads it. the ritz system sitting next to the
    kodak did.

    i want to ask kodak about it, but the links for email on their website
    loop back around to each other or come up with page not found. did not
    see any appropriate phone nums.


    Tony Belding wrote:
    > These Kodak printing machines have been popping up recently -- one in
    > my local drugstore, and another at the nearby (35 miles away) Wal-Mart
    > Super Center. I haven't seen anything else written about them, so I
    > thought I'd share my experiences.
    >
    > First, where am I coming from? For a few years I've used a Canon i560
    > inkjet printer which was inexpensive when new and is now becoming
    > rather dated. I used it mainly for printing text and web pages, rarely
    > for prints. The few prints I ever made using generic paper and
    > third-party (cheap) inks seemed okay, but I wasn't looking at them
    > critically -- just once in a blue moon printing up a snapshot or two
    > for the relatives.
    >
    > Recently I got my new DSLR and started thinking more seriously about
    > prints. I printed a 8x10 test photo using the generic ink and paper,
    > but I was disgusted by the poor color rendition. I then sprung for
    > some genuine Canon paper and inks and tried again with the same image.
    > The result was considerably better, but still considerably different
    > from what I saw on my computer monitor.
    >
    > Buying a newer and better printer was an option, but realistically. . .
    > How many prints do I expect to make?
    >
    > I decided to give the Kodak machine a test. I picked out 11 nice
    > photos from my library and stored them on a USB flash drive, and today
    > I took them back to the drug store. The kiosk has slots where you can
    > insert just about any kind of media: 3.5" floppy disks, CD-Rs, many
    > different kinds of flash cards, and USB drives. (It even has a
    > scanner, so you can scan prints and make new prints from them.)
    >
    > My first attempt to use the machine was a failure -- it refused to read
    > my flash drive, even though it works perfectly on all my computers
    > here. I went home and copied all the images onto a SD card and then
    > went back to give it another try. This time it was able to read my
    > images, and I was in business. The touch screen interfacce is easy to
    > use, though a bit slow. Soon I had the machine churning out 4x6
    > prints. It also is able to make 5x7 and 8x10 prints, which is probably
    > the next thing I'll try.
    >
    > I'm very happy with the results. The prints look sharp, and the colors
    > are much more accurate than my inkjet printer. On my reference photo
    > the colors are close to what I see on my monitor. Even with a
    > magnifying glass I can't see any problems worthy of mention, as
    > contrasted against the grainy texture and occasional "banding" effects
    > from my i560.
    >
    > An important point to make is that I live in a small town which has
    > *never* had any kind of film processing lab. Film always had to be
    > shipped out for processing, then wait a week or more for prints to come
    > back. From a convenience standpoint, this digital kiosk puts us a huge
    > leap beyond where we were before.
    >
    > --
    > Tony Belding, Hamilton Texas
    nlehrer, Jan 3, 2007
    #3
  4. Tony Belding

    Tony Belding Guest

    On 2007-01-03 15:39:51 -0600, "Bucky" <> said:

    > Once I was going to use one, but the person in front of me was loading
    > photos from a 1GB memory card, and they said that it was about 50%
    > through, and they had already been waiting 15 minutes or so. That was
    > ridiculous.


    When I wrote that it was slow, I was referring to the user interface.
    Going through the various options, selecting photos and setting
    enlargement sizes can take a while. The time it took to read images
    from my SD card was not an issue, I don't think it was more than a few
    seconds. (But as noted before, I only had 11 photos on it today, so it
    wasn't much of a test in that regard.)

    --
    Tony Belding, Hamilton Texas
    Tony Belding, Jan 3, 2007
    #4
  5. Tony Belding

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Tony Belding wrote:
    > These Kodak printing machines have been popping up recently -- one in my
    > local drugstore, and another at the nearby (35 miles away) Wal-Mart
    > Super Center. I haven't seen anything else written about them, so I
    > thought I'd share my experiences.
    >
    > First, where am I coming from? For a few years I've used a Canon i560
    > inkjet printer which was inexpensive when new and is now becoming rather
    > dated. I used it mainly for printing text and web pages, rarely for
    > prints. The few prints I ever made using generic paper and third-party
    > (cheap) inks seemed okay, but I wasn't looking at them critically --
    > just once in a blue moon printing up a snapshot or two for the relatives.
    >
    > Recently I got my new DSLR and started thinking more seriously about
    > prints. I printed a 8x10 test photo using the generic ink and paper,
    > but I was disgusted by the poor color rendition. I then sprung for some
    > genuine Canon paper and inks and tried again with the same image. The
    > result was considerably better, but still considerably different from
    > what I saw on my computer monitor.
    >
    > Buying a newer and better printer was an option, but realistically. . .
    > How many prints do I expect to make?
    >
    > I decided to give the Kodak machine a test. I picked out 11 nice photos
    > from my library and stored them on a USB flash drive, and today I took
    > them back to the drug store. The kiosk has slots where you can insert
    > just about any kind of media: 3.5" floppy disks, CD-Rs, many different
    > kinds of flash cards, and USB drives. (It even has a scanner, so you
    > can scan prints and make new prints from them.)
    >
    > My first attempt to use the machine was a failure -- it refused to read
    > my flash drive, even though it works perfectly on all my computers
    > here. I went home and copied all the images onto a SD card and then
    > went back to give it another try. This time it was able to read my
    > images, and I was in business. The touch screen interfacce is easy to
    > use, though a bit slow. Soon I had the machine churning out 4x6
    > prints. It also is able to make 5x7 and 8x10 prints, which is probably
    > the next thing I'll try.
    >
    > I'm very happy with the results. The prints look sharp, and the colors
    > are much more accurate than my inkjet printer. On my reference photo
    > the colors are close to what I see on my monitor. Even with a
    > magnifying glass I can't see any problems worthy of mention, as
    > contrasted against the grainy texture and occasional "banding" effects
    > from my i560.
    >
    > An important point to make is that I live in a small town which has
    > *never* had any kind of film processing lab. Film always had to be
    > shipped out for processing, then wait a week or more for prints to come
    > back. From a convenience standpoint, this digital kiosk puts us a huge
    > leap beyond where we were before.
    >

    I've tended to use the kiosk that just does a 4x6 for 29c. The one I use
    doesn't have a usb, I use cf card I have as a spare. Quality is only
    slightly less the www.yorkphoto.com. I was looking at some prints from
    an hp photo printer which makes 4x6 or 5x7. Very nice but price per
    print is higher than 29c. As far as I can tell, quality from Walgreen
    over the counter (while you wait for a single 8x10), 4x6 kiosk or the
    one you are talking about are very similar. My break even on price vs
    yorkphoto is if greater than 20 prints.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Jan 3, 2007
    #5
  6. Tony Belding

    Bucky Guest

    nlehrer wrote:
    > i want to ask kodak about it, but the links for email on their website
    > loop back around to each other or come up with page not found. did not
    > see any appropriate phone nums.


    don't know if these phone numbers are relevant for the kiosk, but here
    are some Kodak #s:

    Kodak 800-235-6325 Press #.
    Kodak Gallery (Ofoto) 800-360-9098 Say "agent."

    http://www.gethuman.com/us/
    Bucky, Jan 3, 2007
    #6
  7. Tony Belding

    Carl Miller Guest

    On January 03 2007, "Bucky" <> wrote:
    > many places have automated 1 hr lab prints, where you upload the files
    > on the internet, and they print them in an hour. But I guess if your
    > small town doesn't have those, then the photo kiosk is the next best.


    Upload to mpix.com and they deliver to your door. Excellent quality
    prints no matter what size town you live in.

    --
    Carl Miller

    www.carlmillerphotos.com
    Carl Miller, Jan 4, 2007
    #7
  8. Tony Belding

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Tony Belding wrote:
    > These Kodak printing machines have been popping up recently -- one in my
    > local drugstore, and another at the nearby (35 miles away) Wal-Mart
    > Super Center. I haven't seen anything else written about them, so I
    > thought I'd share my experiences.
    >
    > First, where am I coming from? For a few years I've used a Canon i560
    > inkjet printer which was inexpensive when new and is now becoming rather
    > dated. I used it mainly for printing text and web pages, rarely for
    > prints. The few prints I ever made using generic paper and third-party
    > (cheap) inks seemed okay, but I wasn't looking at them critically --
    > just once in a blue moon printing up a snapshot or two for the relatives.
    >
    > Recently I got my new DSLR and started thinking more seriously about
    > prints. I printed a 8x10 test photo using the generic ink and paper,
    > but I was disgusted by the poor color rendition. I then sprung for some
    > genuine Canon paper and inks and tried again with the same image. The
    > result was considerably better, but still considerably different from
    > what I saw on my computer monitor.
    >
    > Buying a newer and better printer was an option, but realistically. . .
    > How many prints do I expect to make?
    >
    > I decided to give the Kodak machine a test. I picked out 11 nice photos
    > from my library and stored them on a USB flash drive, and today I took
    > them back to the drug store. The kiosk has slots where you can insert
    > just about any kind of media: 3.5" floppy disks, CD-Rs, many different
    > kinds of flash cards, and USB drives. (It even has a scanner, so you
    > can scan prints and make new prints from them.)
    >
    > My first attempt to use the machine was a failure -- it refused to read
    > my flash drive, even though it works perfectly on all my computers
    > here. I went home and copied all the images onto a SD card and then
    > went back to give it another try. This time it was able to read my
    > images, and I was in business. The touch screen interfacce is easy to
    > use, though a bit slow. Soon I had the machine churning out 4x6
    > prints. It also is able to make 5x7 and 8x10 prints, which is probably
    > the next thing I'll try.
    >
    > I'm very happy with the results. The prints look sharp, and the colors
    > are much more accurate than my inkjet printer. On my reference photo
    > the colors are close to what I see on my monitor. Even with a
    > magnifying glass I can't see any problems worthy of mention, as
    > contrasted against the grainy texture and occasional "banding" effects
    > from my i560.
    >
    > An important point to make is that I live in a small town which has
    > *never* had any kind of film processing lab. Film always had to be
    > shipped out for processing, then wait a week or more for prints to come
    > back. From a convenience standpoint, this digital kiosk puts us a huge
    > leap beyond where we were before.
    >

    You mentioned a Wal-Mart. Have you tried printing the pictures on their
    1hr machine? Some stores produce excellent results, others not so good.
    Also, some of the online places produce excellent prints up to poster
    size for reasonable prices.
    Ron Hunter, Jan 4, 2007
    #8
  9. Tony Belding

    John Turco Guest

    Tony Belding wrote:

    <edited, for brevity>

    > I decided to give the Kodak machine a test. I picked out 11 nice
    > photos from my library and stored them on a USB flash drive, and today
    > I took them back to the drug store. The kiosk has slots where you can
    > insert just about any kind of media: 3.5" floppy disks, CD-Rs, many
    > different kinds of flash cards, and USB drives. (It even has a
    > scanner, so you can scan prints and make new prints from them.)
    >
    > My first attempt to use the machine was a failure -- it refused to read
    > my flash drive, even though it works perfectly on all my computers
    > here. I went home and copied all the images onto a SD card and then
    > went back to give it another try. This time it was able to read my
    > images, and I was in business. The touch screen interfacce is easy to
    > use, though a bit slow. Soon I had the machine churning out 4x6
    > prints. It also is able to make 5x7 and 8x10 prints, which is probably
    > the next thing I'll try.
    >
    > I'm very happy with the results. The prints look sharp, and the colors
    > are much more accurate than my inkjet printer. On my reference photo
    > the colors are close to what I see on my monitor. Even with a
    > magnifying glass I can't see any problems worthy of mention, as
    > contrasted against the grainy texture and occasional "banding" effects
    > from my i560.


    <edited>

    Hello, Tony:

    I've used a Kodak kiosk (at Wal-Mart), occasionally, also; it did
    an excellent job, every time.

    Still, my humble Epson "Stylus Photo 825" inkjet can match Kodak's
    commercial contraption. Its 4"x6" glossy prints are superbly sharp
    and awfully attractive, with vibrant and accurate colors.

    Not bad, at all, for a $70 device!


    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Jan 6, 2007
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Proprclr
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    1,445
    -= Hawk =-
    Feb 16, 2004
  2. stsong
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    863
    Bruce J. Harris
    Mar 5, 2004
  3. Eric E

    Kodak Kiosk and Compact Flash

    Eric E, Sep 12, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    507
    Ron Baird
    Sep 15, 2004
  4. Tim Chmielewski

    Printing out photos at a kiosk

    Tim Chmielewski, Jun 27, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    454
    David J Taylor
    Jun 27, 2005
  5. RoseW

    Using Kodak Kiosk Print Order

    RoseW, Aug 14, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    314
Loading...

Share This Page