    p880 vs p712 delta $100

    Any comments on these two alternatives?
    Thanks
    hfs2, Nov 13, 2006

  2. hfs2

    Ron Hunter Guest

    hfs2 wrote:
    > Last question for the day :)
    > p880 vs p712 delta $100
    >
    > Any comments on these two alternatives?
    > Thanks

    The 712 has much better zoom, so if that is important, then that, and
    the IS would put it ahead of the P880, at least in my estimation. Both
    have pretty good specs.
    Ron Hunter, Nov 14, 2006

  3. hfs2

    Greg Guarino Guest

    On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 19:04:34 -0600, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    >hfs2 wrote:
    >> Last question for the day :)
    >> p880 vs p712 delta $100
    >>
    >> Any comments on these two alternatives?
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >The 712 has much better zoom,

    It has a DIFFERENT zoom range. For those of us who take most of our
    pictures in the wide angle range, the 880 has the "better" zoom.
    (starting at 24mm equiv.)

    Greg Guarino
    Greg Guarino, Nov 14, 2006
  4. hfs2

    John Turco Guest

    Greg Guarino wrote:

    > On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 19:04:34 -0600, Ron Hunter <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >hfs2 wrote:
    > >> Last question for the day :)
    > >> p880 vs p712 delta $100
    > >>
    > >> Any comments on these two alternatives?
    > >> Thanks
    > >>

    > >The 712 has much better zoom,

    > It has a DIFFERENT zoom range. For those of us who take most of our
    > pictures in the wide angle range, the 880 has the "better" zoom.
    > (starting at 24mm equiv.)
    >
    > Greg Guarino

    Hello, Greg:

    "Better" is in the eye of the beholder, or something to that effect. <g>
    Personally, I love the extreme telephoto capabilities of my P850's 12x
    zoom lens (36mm-432mm, 35mm equivalent).

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Nov 17, 2006
  5. hfs2

    John Turco Guest

    John Turco, Nov 17, 2006
  6. hfs2

    John Turco Guest

    hfs2 wrote:

    > Last question for the day :)
    > p880 vs p712 delta $100
    >
    > Any comments on these two alternatives?
    > Thanks

    Hello,

    I prefer my own P850, to those two models. It has a much longer zoom
    than the P880 (12x versus 5.8x), which also lacks image stabilization.

    As for the P712, its 7 megapixel resolution is hardly a vast increase
    above the P850's 5MP. In my opinion, its very few, other advantages
    (e.g., "Panorama stitch mode") don't justify its current price premium
    over the P850, either.

    Good luck, and whatever your choice among these worthy contenders,
    you'll be getting a fine camera!

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Nov 17, 2006