  1. clint

    clint Guest

    New 12X IS camera. Any users or reviews?
    clint, Sep 29, 2005

  2. I've used one briefly, and the P880, with the 24mm wide zoom. Not bad
    efforts, but the electronic viewfinder was prone to jerkiness. Kodak UK has
    a press event next week so we can have more time with the cameras at a
    photogenic location and I'll be doing a hands-on preview soon after.

    Ian

    Digital Photography Now
    http://dpnow.com
    Visit our discussion forum at http://dpnow.com/Forums.html

    Digital Photography Now, Sep 29, 2005

  3. clint

    clint Guest

    Thanks so much, will be looking.......

    clint, Sep 29, 2005
  4. clint

    Guest

    dimension are the same,zoom 12 x also,but P850 have:

    Manual focus

    50 asa

    Video 640x480

    use of zoom during the video

    Excellent lcd 2,5 with 230.000 pixels

    excellent evf with 230.000 pixels

    raw

    ecc. ecc.

    I think;if site tests aren't much negative,i buy her....
    , Sep 29, 2005
  5. clint

    Guest

    i speak about difference's between p850-fz5....;-)
    , Sep 29, 2005
  6. clint

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings,

    I have used this camera several times and can share about it with you.
    I have not had the opportunity to use the Panasonic, as I only had a
    cursory review in the stores, so cannot comment on the differences.
    Both, and others, will do a good well.

    Personally, however, having a long background at Kodak, I know these
    products very well. I can attest to their quality and the leading edge
    technology that is used in them. Great cameras. Quite honestly, you
    can't beat Kodak. I have some review images that I can post to a
    photosite and that will provide some insight into what you can do with
    them. I will be adding to a link a little later today so you can
    review.

    The P850 feels good in the hand - not too heavy - and the controls are
    easy to use. My favorite features are a flash shoe, IS, and the Hi Res
    EVF is great for viewing as a SLR. It also has some impressive movie
    features, i.e. VGA (640 x 480) video at 30 fps, up to 12X zoom with
    image stabilization during capture, on-camera video editing (trim, cut,
    split, merge, fast forward, and rewind), and you can make 2 × 3
    wallet-sized pictures from the videos.

    If you want an in depth review, you can go to
    http://www.kodak.com/go/p850

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company
    Ron Baird, Sep 30, 2005
  7. Hi Ron,

    I was impressed by the EasyShare One and said as much in my write-up here:

    http://dpnow.com/2128.html

    I'll need more time to come to a conclusion about the P-series and will have
    more play time with them next week as previously mentioned, but from my
    initial hands-on, the one thing that spoiled my enjoyment of these cameras
    was the EVF. Admittedly the cameras were pre-production - there was also a
    problem with sticking SD cards, but the EVF freezing and flickering was not
    very nice.

    But I applaud Kodak for introducing a 24mm (equivalent) wide angle zoom, and
    mechanical zoom ring, plus a focus ring on the lens barrel, with the P-880.

    I'm just finishing off a review of the EasyShare Picture Viewer, by the way.
    Check out the site later today.

    Digital Photography Now, Sep 30, 2005
  8. Digital Photography Now wrote:
    []
    > But I applaud Kodak for introducing a 24mm (equivalent) wide angle
    > zoom, and mechanical zoom ring, plus a focus ring on the lens barrel,
    > with the P-880.

    I agree with you about the zoom and focus rings, but how good are the
    images? Have Kodak sorted out their JPEG compression problems (I don't
    have the time or card space for RAW)? Is the Image Stabilisation as good
    as on other cameras? Objective test of IS? How does the 24mm stand up at
    its widest FOV? Distortion compared to other 24mm cameras?

    My feeling is that we are now at the level where many cameras have reached
    a similar performance plateau, and that we need to look harder to see the
    differences in quality. Some brands seem to want to give us marketing
    gimmicks rather than performance gains.

    David
    David J Taylor, Sep 30, 2005
  9. Re: P-880 sample for you

    David, I have put a sample from a P-880 on the DPNow server - you can access
    it from http://dpnow.com/2173.html

    Ignore the incorrect date on the page!

    Oh and her name is Elisabeth and she's from Italy.

    Ian

    Digital Photography Now
    http://dpnow.com
    Visit our discussion forum at http://dpnow.com/Forums.html

    "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
    message news:Aad%e.118805$...

    Digital Photography Now, Sep 30, 2005
  10. Re: P-880 sample for you

    Digital Photography Now wrote:
    > David, I have put a sample from a P-880 on the DPNow server - you can
    > access it from http://dpnow.com/2173.html
    >
    > Ignore the incorrect date on the page!
    >
    > Oh and her name is Elisabeth and she's from Italy.
    >
    > Ian

    Thanks for that, Ian. I can't comment on the relative JPEG issues
    compared to earlier Kodak cameras, but I see some sort of patterning in
    the light blue, out-of-focus sleeve to the left of the face, and certainly
    some fine pattern artefacts in the hair over the subject's left ear.
    Couple of hot pixels as well. Good for a pre-release camera.

    Nice to see a reflection of the photographer as well!

    David
    David J Taylor, Sep 30, 2005
  11. clint

    Ron Hunter Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > Digital Photography Now wrote:
    > []
    >> But I applaud Kodak for introducing a 24mm (equivalent) wide angle
    >> zoom, and mechanical zoom ring, plus a focus ring on the lens barrel,
    >> with the P-880.

    > I agree with you about the zoom and focus rings, but how good are the
    > images? Have Kodak sorted out their JPEG compression problems (I don't
    > have the time or card space for RAW)? Is the Image Stabilisation as good
    > as on other cameras? Objective test of IS? How does the 24mm stand up at
    > its widest FOV? Distortion compared to other 24mm cameras?
    >
    > My feeling is that we are now at the level where many cameras have reached
    > a similar performance plateau, and that we need to look harder to see the
    > differences in quality. Some brands seem to want to give us marketing
    > gimmicks rather than performance gains.
    >
    > David

    David,
    The specs list three jpeg compression settings, as well as TIFF and
    RAW. That should put to rest the overcompression problem.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Oct 1, 2005
  12. Ron Hunter wrote:
    []
    > David,
    > The specs list three jpeg compression settings, as well as TIFF and
    > RAW. That should put to rest the overcompression problem.

    I do hope so - seems so silly to throw away all the potential image
    quality when saving data to the card! Nevertheless, the actual images do
    need to be checked because there's a lot more to JPEG than simply choosing
    a compression level - as you know there are lots on things you can tune in
    the compression algorithm.

    David
    David J Taylor, Oct 1, 2005
  13. clint

    KennyJr Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Personally, however, having a long background at Kodak, I know these
    > products very well. I can attest to their quality and the leading edge
    > technology that is used in them. Great cameras. Quite honestly, you
    > can't beat Kodak.

    This isn't related to the P850, but it does address the "quality" of
    Kodak cameras. I have a DX6490.

    I have a DX6490. The issue in question is JPEG compression levels. I can
    understand Kodak not wanted to release firmware updates for minor
    problems in older cameras, but in my opinion this is not a minor problem
    as it affects most of the images and effectively reduces the dynamic
    range of the camera. It is noticable in banding in images of the sky and
    as "blocky" jpeg artifacts in darker areas of the image.

    I can't imagine that it would be that hard for Kodak to update the
    firmware of the DX6490 to either reduce the compression level, offer a
    menu to select compression level, or to offer either tiff or Raw output.
    Personally I would think the adding an option for RAW would be the
    simplist way to deal with the problem.

    KennyJr, Oct 1, 2005