Kodak Inc. Thinks It's end Users are Stupid - - Ron Baird Please Respond

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Test User, Dec 4, 2003.

  1. Test User

    Test User Guest

    Here is an email volley between Kodak and I.

    Allow me to summarize for those who feel it's too long to read:
    Purchased a new Kodak DX4530, tried to install the EasyShare software v3.0
    I got an error and the download halted, there was a link for me to
    investigate online,
    and it was determined that I needed the free upgrade to v3.2 so far so good.

    However the software is 18mb in size and would choke my dial up connection.
    So, I thought I'd just download it in the office and take it home on cd or
    flash drive.
    But Lo and Behold, Kodak doesn't offer the software as a straight download.
    The only
    way to get the software is to do the "web install".

    I complained to Kodak and here is a snippet from their reply:

    "We designed the download so that it runs from the server instead of
    downloading as an executable due to customer input to simplify the
    process. Letting it run from our server means that people do not have
    to remember what the .exe file is called or where it ended up on their
    hard drive.

    While we certainly do see the value in having the downloadable .exe, we
    felt that there was an overwhelming call for simplicity."

    I want to know who asked for a simpler process than click --> save as -->
    double click and launch.

    Anyway here is the current volley of emails, there is a reply due on my
    part, but I am following through on my
    threat to post this in a newsgroup.

    Here is the full text of the emails:

    <My original request:>
    Name: - System: Windows 98 SE - Processor: Pentium III -
    RAM: 64 MB to 255 MB - Network: Dial-up - Browser: IE 6.x - Country: US
    - Question: After purchasing a DX4530, I cannot install from CD due to
    some Tricodes. The suggestion was to download v3.2 from the web.
    However at 18MB the download is huge, but I have access to a high speed
    connection at the office. I want download the software and cut it to cd
    to bring home. Please forward me the URL for the entire software and
    not the web install version of it. ?

    <Their 1st Answer>
    Greetings,

    Thank you for your recent visit to the Kodak web site and question
    about KODAK EASYSHARE Software.

    I'm sorry but you might have noticed the lack of a downloadable
    executable for the KODAK Easyshare Software.

    We designed the download so that it runs from the server instead of
    downloading as an executable due to customer input to simplify the
    process. Letting it run from our server means that people do not have
    to remember what the .exe file is called or where it ended up on their
    hard drive.

    While we certainly do see the value in having the downloadable .exe, we
    felt that there was an overwhelming call for simplicity.

    You still have the option of getting the software on CD for only $7.95,
    which is a very nominal fee considering the usual cost of new software,
    don't you think? Let us know if that is your interest.

    www.kodak.com/go/easysharesw

    Your valuable feedback is greatly appreciated and has also been
    forwarded to our development team for consideration for future software
    products.

    With regards to the URL for the Software Installation File, I'm sorry
    but this free download is done in this way.

    If you need to reply to this email, please reply 'with history'
    (include previous e-mails) so we can expedite our service to you.

    <Marketing Bullshit Snipped>

    Regards,

    Danny D.
    Kodak Information and Technical Support

    <My 2nd Request>
    Hi Danny & Kodak,

    Thank you for your quick reply.

    Let me begin by saying that I am in the software design business. I
    know for a fact that the EXE exists, But to not offer it via the web is
    a mistake. This shows lack of interest for the consumer's convenience,
    and some executive's lack of understanding in software design. It may
    be easier for Kodak to cater to the masses by "simplifying the install
    process", you have essentially screwed the rest of us.

    You people must have a really low opinion of your end user, by implying
    that most people cannot download software. I for one will be returning
    my camera at a 15% return penalty, and posting this message to
    newsgroups. In the hopes that you change your backwards policy and
    offer both solutions to the software download dilemma.

    <Their 2nd ANSWER>
    Greetings,

    Thank you for your recent note about the KODAK EASYSHARE Software.

    Kodak uses 3 error codes in EasyShare software to better diagnose the
    problem the user has experienced. This allows Kodak software support
    better assist a customer with this problem.

    In order for us to help you, can you please answer a few more questions
    for us.

    What was the Tri-code error when you were installing the software using
    the CD?

    Are you logged in as the System Administrator? If not, please try
    logging in as the System Admin., then try reinstalling the software.

    Please also make sure that you do not have any anti-virus software or
    pop-up protection running in the background. If you do, please make
    sure to stop those from running, then try the installation again.

    We appreciate your help in letting us know if any of these suggestions
    resolve any errors or create any new. If you continue to have trouble,
    please reply back with answers to these questions or any new questions.

    We will also be more than happy to send you the upgraded 3.2 version of
    the Kodak Easyshare Software should the resolution to the said tri-code
    is an upgrade.

    If you need to reply to this email, please reply 'with history'
    (include
    previous e-mails) so we can expedite our service to you.

    <Marketing Bullshit Snipped>

    Regards,

    Mira O.
    KODAK Information and Technical Support

    Will post the continuing saga.....
    Test User, Dec 4, 2003

  2. Test User

    mark herring Guest

    Wow--this is classic. I had a similar experience with Intuit on a chat
    support line---one non-sequiter after another. When I finally used the
    phone and real person approach, the problem was solved instantly.

    As the baron of film-dom, "yellow mother" may have some molasses in their
    thought processes as they segue into digital. What you are experiencing may
    have emanated from some old-timer who thought "digital" meant the thing that
    pushes the shutter release.

    PLEASE keep us posted--it will be fascinating to see how they explain the
    non-sequiter of the century.

    --
    ******************
    Mark Herring

    *

    mark herring, Dec 5, 2003

  3. I wonder if anyone realizes that the infuriatingly
    obtuse and braindead corporate zombie voice
    Kodak communicates with in this self-satirizing set of email
    communications makes anyone with a functioning synapse
    want to run away from the company and its products as quickly
    as muscles and cardiovascular conditioning allow ?

    Of course not. Our only small
    satisfaction is that the company's tanking, and the last
    words out of them will be this sort of spew, the
    words that serve to mark and grease the skids of
    business doom.

    stan
    Stanley Krute, Dec 5, 2003
  4. Test User

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Re: Kodak Inc. Thinks It's end Users are Stupid - - Ron Baird PleaseRespond

    Test User wrote:

> [...]
    > logging in as the System Admin., then try reinstalling the software.
    >
    > Please also make sure that you do not have any anti-virus software or
    > pop-up protection running in the background. If you do, please make
    > sure to stop those from running, then try the installation again.
    >
    > We appreciate your help in letting us know if any of these suggestions
    > resolve any errors or create any new. If you continue to have trouble,
    > please reply back with answers to these questions or any new questions.
    >
    > We will also be more than happy to send you the upgraded 3.2 version of
    > the Kodak Easyshare Software should the resolution to the said tri-code
    > is an upgrade.
    >
    > If you need to reply to this email, please reply 'with history'
    > (include
    > previous e-mails) so we can expedite our service to you.

    Try sending that information directly to Ron Baird at:

    I am pretty sure he can explain why the downloading is done the way it
    is, even though I feel that making a download available for those of us
    for whom a 30 meg download isn't a significant investment in time.
    Failing that, I strongly suspect that a CD might be available for those
    without internet connectivity.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 5, 2003
  5. Test User

    Greg Kamer Guest

    "Test User"

    > I complained to Kodak and here is a snippet from their reply:
    >
    > "We designed the download so that it runs from the server instead of
    > downloading as an executable due to customer input to simplify the
    > process. Letting it run from our server means that people do not have
    > to remember what the .exe file is called or where it ended up on their

    This is kind of odd..... You would think Kodak could provide 2 versions for
    download. 1 for those who need more "simplicity" and those of us who can
    remember where we downloaded a file to and run it from out hard drive....

    Of course doing it this way makes them an extra $7+ for mailing the cd to
    you. Unfortunately you have the wait time, which does not seem too customer
    friendly to me.
    Greg Kamer, Dec 5, 2003
  6. Test User

    > Guest

    You can't be serious surely ?

    You returned your camera because you couldn't get the software downloaded
    from online since it's not in a downloadable executable ?

    Or am I mistaken, were you just threatening doing that to get a response
    from Kodak ?

    --
    Tony

    ISH

    Remove the fish to reply
    --= This is a fish anti-spam device =--

    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    >, Dec 5, 2003
  7. Test User

    Greg Kamer wrote:

    > "Test User"
    >

    >>I complained to Kodak and here is a snippet from their reply:
    >>
    >> "We designed the download so that it runs from the server instead of
    >> downloading as an executable due to customer input to simplify the
    >> process. Letting it run from our server means that people do not have
    >> to remember what the .exe file is called or where it ended up on their

    > This is kind of odd..... You would think Kodak could provide 2 versions for
    > download. 1 for those who need more "simplicity" and those of us who can
    > remember where we downloaded a file to and run it from out hard drive....
    >
    > Of course doing it this way makes them an extra $7+ for mailing the cd to
    > you. Unfortunately you have the wait time, which does not seem too customer
    > friendly to me.

    I believe recent postings here have indicated that a file would be made
    available in the future for those who don't mind downloading 30 meg
    files. It seems that Kodak hasn't noticed the growth of broadband
    amoung internet users, or they think their customers aren't those who
    have broadband... I know they are wrong in MY case.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 5, 2003
  8. Test User

    Azzz1588 Guest

    In article <3fcfb1d1$>, "Test User" <> writes:

    >However the software is 18mb in size and would choke my dial up connection.

    You must have an amazingly slow connection.
    18 mb at 56k should take just a little bit over an hour.
    Not that bad.....

    (I just D/L'd an 90 mb file last night at 56k, and it took
    approx 6 hours. Did it while I was asleep)

    I understand it's a PITA to instant gratification people, but on the whole
    their way isnt evil, nor wrong. Stupid maybe, but thats it.
    Quicktime is just as bad...................

    Azzz1588, Dec 5, 2003
  9. Anyone who thinks that we're getting rich on a $7.00 CD hasn't looked at the
    cost of doing something like this.

    It covers my costs, that's it.

    William Jackson, Dec 5, 2003
  10. Test User

    Paul H. Guest

    "Greg Kamer" <> wrote in message

    > "Test User"
    >

    > > I complained to Kodak and here is a snippet from their reply:
    > >
    > > "We designed the download so that it runs from the server instead of
    > > downloading as an executable due to customer input to simplify the
    > > process. Letting it run from our server means that people do not

    have
    > > to remember what the .exe file is called or where it ended up on

    their

    > This is kind of odd..... You would think Kodak could provide 2 versions

    for
    > download. 1 for those who need more "simplicity" and those of us who can
    > remember where we downloaded a file to and run it from out hard drive....
    >
    > Of course doing it this way makes them an extra $7+ for mailing the cd to
    > you. Unfortunately you have the wait time, which does not seem too

    customer
    > friendly to me.

    Here's the problem: Most people are NOT stupid or lazy, but enough are so
    that providing support for that sorry few can be quite expensive. Again,
    it's a case of the stupid few causing problems for the intelligent many.

    I used to install word-processing software for people and and while most
    people just happily used the software on their own, others were continually
    on the phone to the manufacturer's support number asking questions they
    could have easily answered themselves just by looking at a help file or the
    manual's index. I was utterly astounded when I encountered this phenomenon
    and when I asked these people why they kept calling, I'd get answers like
    "Why not?", or "I understand things better when they're explained to me
    verbally", or "I can't be bothered looking things up." Sheesh. Please
    understand, I'm not talking about questions regarding complex formatting or
    printing issues, but simple things such as how to make a superscript or do
    underlining.

    Unfortunately, there are some people who, however hungry they might be,
    could be offered a free apple but would refuse it saying, "What? You're not
    going to peel it for me?" Sadly, these folks make it tough on the rest of us
    and these are the people leading us all down the path of idiot-proof,
    web-based software installations.
    Paul H., Dec 5, 2003
  11. Who asked for it: I did

    I made the decision to do a install from web instead of a
    download-then-install for a number of reasons that have been well documented
    ( a number of times) in this forum. But, I can tell you that "our end
    users are stupid" wasn't the impetus for doing this. The impetus was the
    large number of telephone calls that we got with real end users who
    downloaded the software and "nothing happened" since they couldn't find the
    download.

    Those calls have essentially disappeared since we instituted the
    install-from web (and the downloads have not, last week we took something
    like 40k COMPLETED downloads)

    yes, there are certain number of people who would like to download on one
    computer and install on another, but doing the work to package things up
    requires time and energy that we have prioritized lower than some other
    stuff that is coming in the upcoming releases. The number of complaints that
    we receive is a handful a month (like yours) compared to the couple of
    orders of magnitude of complaints and calls prior to doing this.

    Do I want to do both, yup. Do I have the people and money to do both, no.

    BTW, your "facts" are not correct. A single EXE does not exist. The stub
    picks up a whole bunch of different packages based on the answers you give
    and the system that it is installing. We don't package up all of the 10
    languages, all of the printer profiles, all of the OS variants, and
    everything else since the download would be in the 50-ish MB size.

    William Jackson, Dec 5, 2003
  12. Test User

    stacey Guest

    Paul H. wrote:

    > Unfortunately, there are some people who, however hungry they might be,
    > could be offered a free apple but would refuse it saying, "What? You're
    > not going to peel it for me?"

    You laugh, I was at a short order "waffle house" and a -homeless guy- walks
    in begging for food, they offer him some eggs and grits and he said "I was
    thinking more like a hamburger and some hash browns..."
    --

    Stacey
    stacey, Dec 6, 2003
  13. Test User

    stacey Guest

    Test User wrote:

    > Here is an email volley between Kodak and I.

    Snip

    I went through something like this with an old kodak scanner and after
    walking through a couple of level of support, they mailed me a free CD
    upgrade once they understood it wasn't going to even work without it.

    --

    Stacey
    stacey, Dec 6, 2003
  14. <Grrr> Yeah, where is the Ron Baird guy??!!! </Grrr>

    I bought a Kodak DX6230. The flash didn't work. So I got it replaced.
    I took a few photographs and plugged the camera to the USB port
    expecting it to turn up as a drive on my Windows 2000 SP4 PC (as all
    cameras do). Well, nothing of that sort happens, instead Win2k prompts
    me for new hardware installation. I push in the CD hoping that Windows
    will find the driver file on the CD. Nothing of that sort happens. So
    I figure I need to install the software <duh!!>

    So I start installing Easyshare 3.1. This in itself is frustrating.
    This means that I need to install Easyshare on every PC that I need to
    connect to the camera??!! That is plain lousy. I guess the idea is to
    make money by ramming the camera docking station down the customers'
    throat.

    Anyways, the software installation croaks giving me a "12x17x1603x"
    error. I follow a link for troubleshooting. At this point, note that
    Kodak expects the PC to be connected to the internet. Why the
    assumption?? Anyways, Kodak says start the installation from the
    command line with a "/DALL" switch. It generates a logfile (free bug
    testing, eh?) that I send to Kodak support.

    Kodak support in their infinite wisdom decide that I must roll-back
    from Windows 2000 SP4 to SP3!!! How dare they ask a customer to risk
    rolling-back the service pack?? What about the security
    vulnerabilities that will be opened up?? What about other software
    that are running nicely on SP4? What about my PC's stability? Kodak
    expects me to risk all this because I bought their stupid camera??!!!
    How about fixing their crappy software, for a change?

    To make matters worse, the Easyshare 3.2 is only web-installable!!!
    Now this is plain ridiculous. So I need to spend an hour on every PC,
    downloading Easyshare 3.2, for the camera to talk to that PC??

    Is someone from Kodak listening there?? You guys are morons!!! Yes,
    morons. I should've stuck to Olympus!!! (I recently bought a nice
    Olympus C-750)

    Kodak reply below
    <ANSWER>
    Dear Kodak Customer:

    Thank you for your recent visit to the Kodak web site and question
    about
    Kodak uses 3 error codes in EasyShare software to better diagnose the
    problem the user has experienced.

    This allows Kodak software support to better assist a customer with
    this
    problem.

    Error code 12x17x1603x indicates the EasyShare installer experienced a
    problem because EasyShare versions 3.0, 3.0.1 and 3.1 did not install
    on
    Windows 2000 SP4.

    The following are your options.

    Option 1:
    You can go back to Windows 2000 SP3, EasyShare will successfully
    install
    on that OS, then update your OS to SP4 and EasyShare will continue to
    successfully function.

    Please note, if you would like to revert back to SP3 from SP4 in order
    to install Easyshare, you will need to work with your Computer support
    team regarding the procedure to revert your Service Pack.

    Option 2:
    If you receive a TriCode error 1603 and are running Windows 2000
    service
    pack 3 or earlier, please update your EasyShare Software with the
    improved version 3.2 to better handle certain Windows operating
    systems
    that experienced this error with earlier versions of EasyShare
    software
    (version 3.0, 3.0.1, 3.1).

    Please go the following url to update:

    http://www.kodak.com/go/easysharesw

    If you need to reply to this email, please reply 'with history'
    (include
    previous e-mails) so we can expedite our service to you.

    Thanks for coming to the Kodak web site! In appreciation, we would
    like
    to alert you to special promotion at Ofoto (a Kodak Company). They
    have
    a 40% offer that expires January 31, 2004.

    http://www.ofoto.com/call

    *It applies only to the prints included in your first order, however,
    and does not apply to merchandise (such as cards, frames and
    calendars),
    shipping, taxes or other charges included in your order.
    Unfortunately,
    no substitutions or cash equivalents will be given. This offer is
    limited to new Ofoto members only and to only one offer per customer.

    Best Regards

    Jyoti K.
    Kodak Information and Technical Support
    </ANSWER>

    Siddhartha Jain, Dec 6, 2003
  15. Test User

    Travis Guest

    Test User wrote:
    > Here is an email volley between Kodak and I.
    > <My original request:>
    > Name: - System: Windows 98 SE - Processor: Pentium III -
    > RAM: 64 MB to 255 MB - Network: Dial-up - Browser: IE 6.x -
    > Country: US - Question: After purchasing a DX4530, I cannot
    > install from CD due to
    > some Tricodes.

    What are "Tricodes"?

    --
    Travis in Shoreline Washington
    Uses a Kodak DC4800
    Travis, Dec 6, 2003
  16. Kodak's solution for users who do not or cannot connect the PC to the
    internet. Buy a $8 CD from them!!

    I paid for a working camera. But it doesn't and Kodak expects me to
    pay to fix it??!!

    Kodak's latest mail to me
    <ANSWER>
    Greetings Siddhartha,

    Thank you for your recent visit to the Kodak web site and question
    about
    KODAK EASYSHARE Software.

    You can try to purchase the CD-Software online at
    www.digitalimagingstore.rite2u.com

    Thanks for coming to the Kodak web site! In appreciation, we would
    like
    to alert you to special promotion at Ofoto (a Kodak Company). They
    have
    a 40% offer that expires January 31, 2004. It applies only to the
    prints included in your first order, however, and does not apply to
    merchandise (such as cards, frames and calendars), shipping, taxes or
    other charges included in your order. Unfortunately, no substitutions
    or
    cash equivalents will be given. This offer is limited to new Ofoto
    members only and to only one offer per customer.

    http://www.ofoto.com/call

    Regards,

    Joseph R.

    Siddhartha Jain, Dec 6, 2003
  17. Test User

    MikeWhy Guest

    "Test User" <> wrote in message
    > Here is an email volley between Kodak and I.
    >
    > Allow me to summarize for those who feel it's too long to read:
    > Purchased a new Kodak DX4530, tried to install the EasyShare software v3.0

    > But Lo and Behold, Kodak doesn't offer the software as a straight

    download.
    > The only
    > way to get the software is to do the "web install".

    > While we certainly do see the value in having the downloadable .exe,

    we
    > felt that there was an overwhelming call for simplicity."
    >
    > I want to know who asked for a simpler process than click --> save as -->
    > double click and launch.

    Well, if you think about it, that particular camera was designed to not
    allow the user to make mistakes. I do hope that this irony will help you put
    on a smile until you see it through.
    MikeWhy, Dec 6, 2003
  18. Test User

    Rudy Garcia Guest

    In article <C4gAb.1352$>,
    "MikeWhy" <> wrote:

    > "Test User" <> wrote in message
    > > Here is an email volley between Kodak and I.
    > >
    > > Allow me to summarize for those who feel it's too long to read:
    > > Purchased a new Kodak DX4530, tried to install the EasyShare software v3.0

    > > But Lo and Behold, Kodak doesn't offer the software as a straight

    > download.
    > > The only
    > > way to get the software is to do the "web install".

    > > While we certainly do see the value in having the downloadable .exe,

    > we
    > > felt that there was an overwhelming call for simplicity."
    > >
    > > I want to know who asked for a simpler process than click --> save as -->
    > > double click and launch.

    > Well, if you think about it, that particular camera was designed to not
    > allow the user to make mistakes. I do hope that this irony will help you put
    > on a smile until you see it through.

    Kodak should learn that it is impossible to make it foolproof. Fools
    are just too damn ingenuous.

    I can't use Easy Share (on a DX6490), so I just remove the flash from
    the camera and put it in a card reader.

    --
    Rudy Garcia
    Rudy Garcia, Dec 6, 2003
  19. Test User

    Matt Guest

    On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 04:50:49 -0600, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    >Greg Kamer wrote:
    >
    >> "Test User"
    >>
    >>>I complained to Kodak and here is a snippet from their reply:
    >>>
    >>> "We designed the download so that it runs from the server instead of
    >>> downloading as an executable due to customer input to simplify the
    >>> process. Letting it run from our server means that people do not have
    >>> to remember what the .exe file is called or where it ended up on their

    >> This is kind of odd..... You would think Kodak could provide 2 versions for
    >> download. 1 for those who need more "simplicity" and those of us who can
    >> remember where we downloaded a file to and run it from out hard drive....
    >>
    >> Of course doing it this way makes them an extra $7+ for mailing the cd to
    >> you. Unfortunately you have the wait time, which does not seem too customer
    >> friendly to me.
    >>

    >I believe recent postings here have indicated that a file would be made
    >available in the future for those who don't mind downloading 30 meg
    >files. It seems that Kodak hasn't noticed the growth of broadband
    >amoung internet users, or they think their customers aren't those who
    >have broadband... I know they are wrong in MY case.

    The more real answer seems to have been mentioned before....

    There are so many possible options, that to include them all on a
    single download would be painful for THEIR download bandwidth.

    That is a valid argument against a single huge EXE.

    But Microsoft Internet Explorer probabaly shows the way that many
    would be more than happy with... - a small launcher which lets you
    make the selections, and allows you to do an online install or
    download for offline.

    Apparently, it is also just about possible to save what gets
    downloaded by the Kodak install and cobble together an offline
    installer.

    Another point - broadband makes b*ggerall difference - online installs
    are even LESS suitable for flaky dialup than they are for broadband.

    And lets not forget the evil BACKWEB for updates - It is OFF on my
    system, and it's staying off - while I'll grudgingly accept that it's
    not "spyware" in THIS situation (though fully capable of such malice),
    it is certainly a "parasitic updater", in that it lurks and goes when
    IT says so, not when YOU choose.

    --
    I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
    http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles

    If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!
    Matt, Dec 6, 2003
  20. Hi William

    > Do I want to do both, yup. Do I have the people and money to do both, no.
    >
    > BTW, your "facts" are not correct. A single EXE does not exist. The stub
    > picks up a whole bunch of different packages based on the answers you give
    > and the system that it is installing. We don't package up all of the 10
    > languages, all of the printer profiles, all of the OS variants, and
    > everything else since the download would be in the 50-ish MB size.

    Hmmm. Time to package up everything and put it into a downloadable
    single EXE: maybe a morning ? Folks who want to download the
    EXe are broadband folks, to whom the diff. between a 30 MB download
    and a 50 MB download is trivial.

    Oh, well, sounds like it won't happen. Too bad.

    stan

    "Make excuses, or make things happen." -- b. bonipulii
    Stanley Krute, Dec 6, 2003