    How does "EasyShare" fit into this ?
    Can I use the camera without it ?

    <rj>
    Guest, Jan 31, 2004

  2. Guest

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:35:42 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "<RJ>"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm ready to venture into the digital photo world.
    >
    >The KODAK CX6230 ( 2megapix ) seems like
    >a good "first choice" in my price range. ( $149 )
    >
    >But I'm a little worried about this "EasyShare" thing.
    >Is this going to be an asset or a burden ?
    >
    >I want to take pics, get 'em into my computer
    >via USB cable, save them as jpg's,
    >and probably play with them using
    >the MicroSoft Picture It program.
    >
    >How does "EasyShare" fit into this ?
    >Can I use the camera without it ?

    Sure. Buy an inexpensive card reader. Not only is this simpler it is also a
    generic solution not tied to any one manufacturer.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam
    Ed Ruf, Jan 31, 2004

  3. Guest

    Ken Guest

    Don't worry. I have two Kodak cameras (DX3900 and DX6340) and three
    computers (WinME desktop, WinXP-home desktop, and WinXP-pro laptop) with the
    two docking chargers, and the EasyShare software works great on all of them.

    If you use the dock (it is overpriced and really not needed - I was forced
    by the wife to buy ours - use USB connection and NiMH AA's with a separate
    charger instead), make sure when you press the button the first time and are
    given the option to use the "one-touch transfer" next time, DO NOT check
    this box. Without the one-touch transfer you are given the ability to place
    the pics into an album, plus this ensures that a properly dated directory is
    created.

    Ken, Jan 31, 2004
  4. Guest

    Ron Hunter Guest

    <RJ> wrote:

    > I'm ready to venture into the digital photo world.
    >
    > The KODAK CX6230 ( 2megapix ) seems like
    > a good "first choice" in my price range. ( $149 )
    >
    > But I'm a little worried about this "EasyShare" thing.
    > Is this going to be an asset or a burden ?
    >
    > I want to take pics, get 'em into my computer
    > via USB cable, save them as jpg's,
    > and probably play with them using
    > the MicroSoft Picture It program.
    >
    > How does "EasyShare" fit into this ?
    > Can I use the camera without it ?
    >
    > <rj>

    It need not fit in at all. Best bet for what you want to do is to buy a
    card reader for the type card that camera uses, or a multi-format one,
    and forget about EasyShare entirely. You will find that the pictures
    transfer faster and you can use the flash card as a small disk drive to
    port files, which the software in the 6230 doesn't support.

    If you have a WinXP computer, it is likely that a card reader wouldn't
    even need special driver software.
    Ron Hunter, Jan 31, 2004
  5. Guest

    Bubba Guest

    I have had fine success and no trouble with ES or the docking stations. My
    wife and I each have a CX4230 and docking station II. I have left the
    EasyShare software in favor of Paintshop Photo Album but my wife still loves
    the Easyshare and it dies everything for her she needs. We both still use
    the docking stations also and our cameras are always charged and ready to go
    and we always know exactly right where they are. My desktop pC has 4
    built-in card readers. I never use them.
    I can still do a "one touch transfer" even with Paintshop Photo Album so why
    bother with buying a "cheap card reader".

    I personally prefer Paintshop Photo Album because unlike ES it gives me
    unfettered access to my images. With ES you cannot directly send the images
    therein to any other application.

    --

    - Bubba

    Bubba, Jan 31, 2004
  6. Guest

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Bubba wrote:

    > I have had fine success and no trouble with ES or the docking stations. My
    > wife and I each have a CX4230 and docking station II. I have left the
    > EasyShare software in favor of Paintshop Photo Album but my wife still loves
    > the Easyshare and it dies everything for her she needs. We both still use
    > the docking stations also and our cameras are always charged and ready to go
    > and we always know exactly right where they are. My desktop pC has 4
    > built-in card readers. I never use them.
    > I can still do a "one touch transfer" even with Paintshop Photo Album so why
    > bother with buying a "cheap card reader".
    >
    > I personally prefer Paintshop Photo Album because unlike ES it gives me
    > unfettered access to my images. With ES you cannot directly send the images
    > therein to any other application.

    One should use the hardware and software that best fits their wants, and
    needs. Neither camera connection, nor dock, nor ES fits my needs. Just
    as you like the PS sfotware better than ES.
    Ron Hunter, Feb 1, 2004
  7. Guest

    dickydoo Guest

    Pity the Easy Share is not an option when buying the camera as this would
    reduce the price even more ! Same with the docking rechargers.
    dickydoo, Feb 1, 2004
  8. Guest

    Ron Hunter Guest

    dickydoo wrote:
    > Pity the Easy Share is not an option when buying the camera as this would
    > reduce the price even more ! Same with the docking rechargers.

    In most cases, the dock IS optional. Only a few cameras come with the
    dock as a non-optional package deal.
    I doubt that the ES package adds much to the price.
    Ron Hunter, Feb 1, 2004
  9. wrote:
    > I'm ready to venture into the digital photo world.
    >
    > The KODAK CX6230 ( 2megapix ) seems like
    > a good "first choice" in my price range. ( $149 )
    >
    > But I'm a little worried about this "EasyShare" thing.
    > Is this going to be an asset or a burden ?
    >
    > I want to take pics, get 'em into my computer
    > via USB cable, save them as jpg's,
    > and probably play with them using
    > the MicroSoft Picture It program.
    >
    > How does "EasyShare" fit into this ?
    > Can I use the camera without it ?
    >
    > <rj>

    I have the top of the range Kodak digital camera and use Easyshare. It works
    just fine.

    You don't have to use Easyshare to move the pictures from the camera to the PC
    though. You can just install the Camera COnnection software, which is
    essentially just the USB driver, and you can view the memory card in the camera
    as just another drive connected to your PC.

    Ben Thomas
    Melbourne, Australia
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=, Feb 1, 2004
  10. Guest

    Bubba Guest

    > One should use the hardware and software that best fits their wants, and
    > needs.

    I think that is plainly self-evident Ron. You seem to misunderstand my post
    as some backhanded effort to proselytize you.
    The OP asked for opinions on ES..I gave mine. I couldn't care less what
    software you use or if I ever see you post here again. Sheesh..give it a
    rest, take a valium, get a blowjob... do something to chill....

    --

    - Bubba

    Bubba, Feb 2, 2004
  11. Guest

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Bubba wrote:
    >>One should use the hardware and software that best fits their wants, and
    >>needs.

    > I think that is plainly self-evident Ron. You seem to misunderstand my post
    > as some backhanded effort to proselytize you.
    > The OP asked for opinions on ES..I gave mine. I couldn't care less what
    > software you use or if I ever see you post here again. Sheesh..give it a
    > rest, take a valium, get a blowjob... do something to chill....

    I stated a fact. YOu agreed with it. So how does that make me uptight?
    Are you offering a BJ. If so, address available.
    Ron Hunter, Feb 2, 2004
  12. Guest

    Bubba Guest

    Ron please stop fantasizing about having sex with me - OK?
    There are drugs and therapists to help you with this disorder.

    You stated a fact understood and applied by 99% of computer users since the
    era of the
    VIC-20.

    --------- Ron said in part:
    > >>One should use the hardware and software that best fits their wants, and
    > >>needs.

    ---------

    Gee...what a revelation for the rest of us..that post will certainly be in
    the Usenet Hall of Fame.

    --

    - Bubba

    Bubba, Feb 2, 2004
  13. Guest

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Bubba wrote:

    > Ron please stop fantasizing about having sex with me - OK?
    > There are drugs and therapists to help you with this disorder.
    >

    > You stated a fact understood and applied by 99% of computer users since the
    > era of the
    > VIC-20.

    Hey, you brought the subject up!
    And current digital camera users probably never USED a VIC-20, or even
    know what it was.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 3, 2004
  14. Guest

    Matt Guest

    On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 22:49:08 +1300, "dickydoo" <>
    wrote:

    >Pity the Easy Share is not an option when buying the camera as this would
    >reduce the price even more ! Same with the docking rechargers.

    You'd never get a camera without any kind of software though.

    Easyshare is Kodak's, but other than the built-in CD writing
    capability, it does not compare favourably with the more expert
    solutions from others, which have features like panorama stiching.

    The other thing I'd praise in Easyshare, is the best "convert to line
    art" that I've ever seen.

    As I understand it, the KODAK models use PTP (Picture Transfer
    Protocol) instead ot taking the simpler mass storage route, and can be
    used in XP ONLY without loading the software (though you would not be
    able to load from both internal memory and card).

    --
    I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
    http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles

    If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!
    Matt, Feb 3, 2004
  15. Guest

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Matt wrote:

    > On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 22:49:08 +1300, "dickydoo" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Pity the Easy Share is not an option when buying the camera as this would
    >>reduce the price even more ! Same with the docking rechargers.

    > You'd never get a camera without any kind of software though.
    >
    > Easyshare is Kodak's, but other than the built-in CD writing
    > capability, it does not compare favourably with the more expert
    > solutions from others, which have features like panorama stiching.
    >
    > The other thing I'd praise in Easyshare, is the best "convert to line
    > art" that I've ever seen.
    >

    > As I understand it, the KODAK models use PTP (Picture Transfer
    > Protocol) instead ot taking the simpler mass storage route, and can be
    > used in XP ONLY without loading the software (though you would not be
    > able to load from both internal memory and card).

    Newer Kodak models only. The 3xxx series looks like a disk drive, as do
    earlier models.
    Ron Hunter, Feb 3, 2004
  16. Guest

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings RJ,

    You chose a pretty nice camera RJ, and I am sure you going to enjoy it.

    As an EasyShare camera, getting your pictures into your system or using them
    in several other ways, (printing, sharing, email) is made pretty easy as
    well. EasyShare does all of this 'easily' and lets edit or view your
    pictures as you want.

    If you want to use another program, you can install just the Camera
    Connection Software that will enable your camera to communicate with your
    system. You can then do what you want with the images in a program of
    choices.

    When you install the EasyShare software, choose custom install and select
    only the Camera Connection Software.

    Talk to you soon, RJ, let me know if you have questions.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Feb 6, 2004
  17. "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Matt wrote:
    >
    > > As I understand it, the KODAK models use PTP (Picture Transfer
    > > Protocol) instead ot taking the simpler mass storage route, and can be
    > > used in XP ONLY without loading the software (though you would not be
    > > able to load from both internal memory and card).
    > >

    > Newer Kodak models only. The 3xxx series looks like a disk drive, as do
    > earlier models.

    All of the Kodak cameras "look like a disk drive" after the drivers are
    installed. The newer cameras happen to have a PTP driver installed, the
    older ones had proprietary and custom drivers for each individual camera
    (well, not really, some shared the drivers based on hardware design
    platforms, but there were several. Primarily the DC210/210+/215 version,
    the DC240/280/DC3400 version and the DC220/260/265 version) After that the
    DC4800 and all of the EasyShare cameras starting with the DC3500 were PTP
    based and use the PTP stack from Kodak.

    BTW, all of the PTP cameras can use the most recent version of the PTP
    stack that has lots of bugs fixed from the first versions. the older
    cameras that used the proprietary stacks haven't had an update in a long,
    long time.
    William Jackson, Feb 24, 2004