KODAK EASYSHARE Z915: Good choice for a college student on TIGHT budget?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by me@privacy.net, Jul 10, 2010.

  1. Guest

    Need a LONG zoom.

    Don't want to spend more than $150

    Is the Z915 a decent cam for me?
     
    , Jul 10, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. DanP Guest

    Re: KODAK EASYSHARE Z915: Good choice for a college student on TIGHTbudget?

    On Jul 10, 9:52 pm, wrote:
    > Need a LONG zoom.
    >
    > Don't want to spend more than $150
    >
    > Is the Z915 a decent cam for me?


    Yes, for your budget is a good choice. If you want to take pictures
    without thinking then you have found your camera,

    If you are serious about photography then consider the Canon SX120,
    you might find a refurbished one for $150.
    It has a wider aperture, can focus closer and take longer exposures
    (not hand held).
    But the most important thing for me is it has aperture and shutter
    priority (Z915 does not).
    Plus you can use CHDK with Canon cameras (will keep you busy for a
    while if you are a geek).

    As I don't own any of them I would take a card to a shop and ask the
    shop assistant to take pictures with both then view them at home and
    decide. Z915 has a lower pixel density so I expect it to have a better
    image quality (needs to be seen).

    I do own a previous model, Canon SX100, and I full appreciate the
    extra features that Kodak is missing.


    DanP
     
    DanP, Jul 11, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    Re: KODAK EASYSHARE Z915: Good choice for a college student on TIGHT budget?

    DanP <> wrote:

    >If you are serious about photography then consider the Canon SX120,
    >you might find a refurbished one for $150.



    OK will look into that one as well

    and yes.....I'm not against buying used or refurbish by
    any means

    thanks guys!!

    Oh.... one other thing.... a reasonably fast "response"
    time between shots would be nice.... is the Canon
    faster than the Kodak in that regard?
     
    , Jul 11, 2010
    #3
  4. DanP Guest

    Re: KODAK EASYSHARE Z915: Good choice for a college student on TIGHTbudget?

    On Jul 11, 2:41 am, wrote:
    > DanP <> wrote:
    > >If you are serious about photography then consider the Canon SX120,
    > >you might find a refurbished one for $150.

    >
    > OK will look into that one as well
    >
    > and yes.....I'm not against buying used or refurbish by
    > any means
    >
    > thanks guys!!
    >
    > Oh.... one other thing.... a reasonably fast "response"
    > time between shots would be nice.... is the Canon
    > faster than the Kodak in that regard?


    No, Kodak Z915 manages 1.5 fps (frames per second) but for 3 shots
    only, Canon SX120 does .9 fps.
    However, SX120 might take more than 3 shots faster than Z915.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Kodak/kodak_z915.asp
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_sx120is.asp

    Decision
     
    DanP, Jul 11, 2010
    #4
  5. Guest

    "tcroyer" <> wrote:

    >> Is the Z915 a decent cam for me?

    >
    >I have one, among other cameras.
    >
    >It's extremely portable and takes reasonable quality photos. I like that it
    >uses AA batteries for power instead of proprietary ones.


    Question for the group...

    How MUCH "zoom" is good?

    I have no idea the practical diff between say 10x vs
    15x......


    Bottom line.... what is the "sweet spot" on how much
    "zoom" will be good enough for say taking long shot
    photos at a football game?
     
    , Jul 18, 2010
    #5
  6. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    []
    > Question for the group...
    >
    > How MUCH "zoom" is good?
    >
    > I have no idea the practical diff between say 10x vs
    > 15x......
    >
    >
    > Bottom line.... what is the "sweet spot" on how much
    > "zoom" will be good enough for say taking long shot
    > photos at a football game?


    You're asking the wrong question. Zoom (as you used it) is simply ratio
    between the longest and the shortest focal lengths, it does /not/ indicate
    the minimum field of view. For that, you need the focal length (typically
    expressed as a 35mm equivalent). For some sports, and for bird
    photography, 250-300mm may not be enough, and you're looking at 500-800mm.
    Fixed focal length lenses may be cheaper than zooms in that range. If you
    can't stretch to that, or hold such a lens steady, revise the types of
    photos you're going to take, and concentrate on the atmosphere rather than
    close-ups of the competitors.

    David
     
    David J Taylor, Jul 19, 2010
    #6
  7. DanP Guest

    Re: KODAK EASYSHARE Z915: Good choice for a college student on TIGHTbudget?

    On Jul 18, 5:23 pm, wrote:
    > "tcroyer" <> wrote:
    > >> Is the Z915 a decent cam for me?

    >
    > >I have one, among other cameras.

    >
    > >It's extremely portable and takes reasonable quality photos.  I like that it
    > >uses AA batteries for power instead of proprietary ones.

    >
    > Question for the group...
    >
    > How MUCH "zoom" is good?
    >
    > I have no idea the practical diff between say 10x vs
    > 15x......
    >
    > Bottom line.... what is the "sweet spot" on how much
    > "zoom" will be good enough for say taking long shot
    > photos at a football game?


    All zoom lenses work with compromises and the higher the zoom range is
    the worst they perform at the wide and close ends.
    There is no general sweet spot, see it for yourself and decide if it
    is enough for you.

    Some people are happy with a 15x range, some would not go beyond 5x.
    And to make the matter more confusing not all lenses with a certain
    zoom range perform the same.

    More important than the zoom factor is the equivalent focal length of
    the lenses.
    Take 2 lenses with the same zoom range, say 5x, one with 20-100mm and
    another with 36-180mm.
    The 36-180mm one will let you take better pictures of small birds and
    the 20-100mm will manage better landscape shots.

    To cut it short, go on Flickr and see images taken with a particular
    camera and decide for yourself.
    http://www.flickr.com/cameras/kodak/z915/
    http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/powershot_sx100_is/

    DanP
     
    DanP, Jul 19, 2010
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Fred
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    589
    Phillip Remaker
    Dec 11, 2003
  2. Rick London

    Help please from college student!!

    Rick London, Dec 14, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    339
    Rick London
    Dec 14, 2003
  3. kodak 5VDC specs - how tight?

    , Dec 12, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    279
  4. Giuen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,415
    Giuen
    Sep 12, 2008
  5. Replies:
    10
    Views:
    792
Loading...

Share This Page