  1. I just purchased my very first digital camera along with a camera
    dock... and I'm about as amateur as they come. I suspect that I'll be
    asking alot of really dumb questions in the near future. Wish me luck!
    threefeathers, Aug 20, 2005

  2. threefeathers

    Roy Guest

    "threefeathers" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I just purchased my very first digital camera along with a camera
    > dock... and I'm about as amateur as they come. I suspect that I'll be
    > asking alot of really dumb questions in the near future. Wish me luck!

    Sure thing.

    Have lots of fun and good shooting with your digital camera.

    Please however note that you would be best describing yourself as a Newbie
    or Learner.

    Amateur just means someone who does not do photography for financial gain,
    and I can assure you that some Amateurs are truly expert at their Hobby.
    Some of their Significant Others, would describe it as an Obsession rather
    than a Hobby.

    Roy G
    Roy, Aug 20, 2005

  3. Roy wrote:
    > "threefeathers" <> wrote in message
    > >I just purchased my very first digital camera along with a camera
    > > dock... and I'm about as amateur as they come. I suspect that I'll be
    > > asking alot of really dumb questions in the near future. Wish me luck!
    > >

    > Sure thing.
    >
    > Have lots of fun and good shooting with your digital camera.
    >
    > Please however note that you would be best describing yourself as a Newbie
    > or Learner.
    >
    > Amateur just means someone who does not do photography for financial gain,
    > and I can assure you that some Amateurs are truly expert at their Hobby.
    > Some of their Significant Others, would describe it as an Obsession rather
    > than a Hobby.
    >
    > Roy G

    Newbie it is then... striving to be an obsessive hobbyist. Yeehaw!!!
    threefeathers, Aug 20, 2005
  4. threefeathers

    Ralph Mowery Guest

    > I just purchased my very first digital camera along with a camera
    > dock... and I'm about as amateur as they come. I suspect that I'll be
    > asking alot of really dumb questions in the near future. Wish me luck!

    Good luck. Use the dock for quick prints to give to visitors. Take the
    card out of the camera to Wal-Mart or similar and let them do the printing.
    YOu can even send the pix you want to them via email and pick them up in
    about an hour. I think their prints are about $ .25 vers the $ .50 to $ .75
    each you will pay for the docking station prints.
    Make sure you back up the prints off the hard drive to a CD or don't
    complain here when the hard drive fails and you loose all your pix.
    Ralph Mowery, Aug 20, 2005
  5. Ralph Mowery wrote:
    > "threefeathers" <> wrote in message
    > > I just purchased my very first digital camera along with a camera
    > > dock... and I'm about as amateur as they come. I suspect that I'll be
    > > asking alot of really dumb questions in the near future. Wish me luck!

    > Good luck. Use the dock for quick prints to give to visitors. Take the
    > card out of the camera to Wal-Mart or similar and let them do the printing.
    > YOu can even send the pix you want to them via email and pick them up in
    > about an hour. I think their prints are about $ .25 vers the $ .50 to $ .75
    > each you will pay for the docking station prints.
    > Make sure you back up the prints off the hard drive to a CD or don't
    > complain here when the hard drive fails and you loose all your pix.

    Been there... done that... more times than I care to remember. Thanks
    for reminding me.
    threefeathers, Aug 20, 2005
  6. threefeathers

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Roy wrote:
    > "threefeathers" <> wrote in message
    >> I just purchased my very first digital camera along with a camera
    >> dock... and I'm about as amateur as they come. I suspect that I'll be
    >> asking alot of really dumb questions in the near future. Wish me luck!
    >>

    > Sure thing.
    >
    > Have lots of fun and good shooting with your digital camera.
    >
    > Please however note that you would be best describing yourself as a Newbie
    > or Learner.
    >
    > Amateur just means someone who does not do photography for financial gain,
    > and I can assure you that some Amateurs are truly expert at their Hobby.
    > Some of their Significant Others, would describe it as an Obsession rather
    > than a Hobby.
    >
    > Roy G

    I have even heard the term 'disease' applied to it. Grin.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Aug 21, 2005
  7. threefeathers

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ralph Mowery wrote:
    > "threefeathers" <> wrote in message
    >> I just purchased my very first digital camera along with a camera
    >> dock... and I'm about as amateur as they come. I suspect that I'll be
    >> asking alot of really dumb questions in the near future. Wish me luck!

    > Good luck. Use the dock for quick prints to give to visitors. Take the
    > card out of the camera to Wal-Mart or similar and let them do the printing.
    > YOu can even send the pix you want to them via email and pick them up in
    > about an hour. I think their prints are about $ .25 vers the $ .50 to $ .75
    > each you will pay for the docking station prints.
    > Make sure you back up the prints off the hard drive to a CD or don't
    > complain here when the hard drive fails and you loose all your pix.

    I had a HD crash. First failure since I got a HD about 15 years ago.
    Now my pictures get copied to all 4 of the drives I have on three
    computers....

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Aug 21, 2005
  8. threefeathers

    Guest Guest

    On 19 Aug 2005 23:01:05 -0700, "threefeathers" <>
    wrote:

    >I just purchased my very first digital camera along with a camera
    >dock... and I'm about as amateur as they come. I suspect that I'll be
    >asking alot of really dumb questions in the near future. Wish me luck!

    CONGRATULATIONS !

    You're past the most expensive part.

    Now, go take dozens of pictures at a time. ( they're FREE ! )
    Load 'em into your computer,
    study, crop, adjust, save
    and take more pics.

    Experiment with every camera setting.

    Practice makes perfect.

    <rj>
    Guest, Aug 22, 2005
  9. threefeathers

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 04:01:57 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

    >> Make sure you back up the prints off the hard drive to a CD or don't
    >> complain here when the hard drive fails and you loose all your pix.
    >>

    > I had a HD crash. First failure since I got a HD about 15 years ago.
    > Now my pictures get copied to all 4 of the drives I have on three
    > computers....

    You too? My computer was down for several days but it wasn't due
    to a hardware failure. I have a number of apps. that do a lot of
    disk writes and they've always been reliable. Windows, on the other
    hand tends to occasionally randomly crash when its Explorer copies
    or moves files if the computer has been running more than a day or
    so. After the crash most programs ran, but Explorer could no longer
    copy files. Programs could be started by double clicking on their
    icons, but the icons couldn't be repositioned. The worst was DUN,
    which could dial and connect to ISPs, but couldn't log in.
    Fortunately, I was able to restore the Windows directory (and
    several of its subdirectories such as SYSTEM) from a fairly old
    tape.

    Only a few minor problems had to be fixed, most due to running
    with a quite old copy of the registry. It produced a few benefits
    too. Windows is still slow to load, but not nearly as sluggish in
    operation as it was. And even with the older version of DUN that
    was restored, internet throughput is up 10% to 15%. Along the way I
    installed a new copy of Windows and it flies - loads in a little
    less than 1/10th the time. But without DUN it was unusable. Now
    that the computer is working again I might migrate all of the
    windows apps to the fresh copy of Windows. Unlike your method
    (new?) using multiple hard drives, all of my pictures had been
    copied to CDs (with duplicates made) as well as certain other
    critical files. But the DAT8 tape drive finally had a chance to
    prove its worth. :) Like the computer, it's made by HP - rugged and
    reliable. Unlike a certain Sony tape drive that turned out to be
    the most unreliable piece of computer junk I've ever had the
    misfortune to own. As with your experience, I've found hard drives
    to be quite reliable. Only one Seagate (a Barracuda) has ever
    failed, but all of the others keep chugging along. Didn't you say
    something a couple months ago about reinstalling Windows not being
    worth the effort? :)
    ASAAR, Aug 22, 2005
  10. threefeathers

    Ron Hunter Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 04:01:57 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >>> Make sure you back up the prints off the hard drive to a CD or don't
    >>> complain here when the hard drive fails and you loose all your pix.
    >>>

    >> I had a HD crash. First failure since I got a HD about 15 years ago.
    >> Now my pictures get copied to all 4 of the drives I have on three
    >> computers....

    > You too? My computer was down for several days but it wasn't due
    > to a hardware failure. I have a number of apps. that do a lot of
    > disk writes and they've always been reliable. Windows, on the other
    > hand tends to occasionally randomly crash when its Explorer copies
    > or moves files if the computer has been running more than a day or
    > so. After the crash most programs ran, but Explorer could no longer
    > copy files. Programs could be started by double clicking on their
    > icons, but the icons couldn't be repositioned. The worst was DUN,
    > which could dial and connect to ISPs, but couldn't log in.
    > Fortunately, I was able to restore the Windows directory (and
    > several of its subdirectories such as SYSTEM) from a fairly old
    > tape.
    >
    > Only a few minor problems had to be fixed, most due to running
    > with a quite old copy of the registry. It produced a few benefits
    > too. Windows is still slow to load, but not nearly as sluggish in
    > operation as it was. And even with the older version of DUN that
    > was restored, internet throughput is up 10% to 15%. Along the way I
    > installed a new copy of Windows and it flies - loads in a little
    > less than 1/10th the time. But without DUN it was unusable. Now
    > that the computer is working again I might migrate all of the
    > windows apps to the fresh copy of Windows. Unlike your method
    > (new?) using multiple hard drives, all of my pictures had been
    > copied to CDs (with duplicates made) as well as certain other
    > critical files. But the DAT8 tape drive finally had a chance to
    > prove its worth. :) Like the computer, it's made by HP - rugged and
    > reliable. Unlike a certain Sony tape drive that turned out to be
    > the most unreliable piece of computer junk I've ever had the
    > misfortune to own. As with your experience, I've found hard drives
    > to be quite reliable. Only one Seagate (a Barracuda) has ever
    > failed, but all of the others keep chugging along. Didn't you say
    > something a couple months ago about reinstalling Windows not being
    > worth the effort? :)

    I don't know what version of Windows you are using, but I have no such
    problems with WinXP. Explorer does crash now and then, but I have never
    had it cause any serious problem with the HD. One failure in 15 years
    is pretty good luck, as far as I am concerned.
    I much prefer external HD to any other backup medium. For the price of
    one of those old DAT tape units, you can buy a 200GB external drive now.

    As for reinstalling Windows, that's for upgrades, and hard crashes, in
    my book, not for 'routine cleanup'.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Aug 22, 2005
  11. threefeathers

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 04:06:17 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

    > I don't know what version of Windows you are using, but I have no such
    > problems with WinXP. Explorer does crash now and then, but I have never
    > had it cause any serious problem with the HD. One failure in 15 years
    > is pretty good luck, as far as I am concerned.

    It's an oooold version. Not quite 16-bit, but close. I believe
    the problem is related to the way it uses the registry. But that's
    a topic better suited for another time and place.

    > I much prefer external HD to any other backup medium. For the price of
    > one of those old DAT tape units, you can buy a 200GB external drive now.

    Tape drives always were more expensive than several hard drives.
    But tapes, on the other hand are far cheaper. I don't backup the
    home computer nearly as often as businesses normally do, but with
    the tape rotation method that I use, it pretty much assures me of
    being able to recover any file that is corrupted, whether by
    accident or by a virus. I'd imagine that very few 200GB drives are
    used to keep dozens of full backups going back a decade or more.
    Most people that use hard drives as backup devices rarely have more
    than one or two full backups available. And if full backups are
    made monthly, it's highly unlikely that a file damaged 6 months ago
    but not noticed until now will be able to be restored. And as was
    just mentioned in one of the "wedding photographer" threads,
    sometimes even one backup camera body isn't enough. A lightning
    strike can take out all of your hard drives in a flash (p.i.), even
    those not powered on. No such danger with tapes. And yes, tape
    drives can also fail, but I have several, never have more than one
    attached to A.C. or a computer, and they're rotated too. :)
    ASAAR, Aug 22, 2005