"Kodak Easyshare Z650" camera problem with software

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by willow, Mar 2, 2007.

  1. willow

    willow Guest

    Hello everyone. This is my first post here. From reading your posts
    for while, I could see that the group is very helpful with digital
    camera problems and I am very hopeful that someone might be able to
    assist me.

    I have been using various "Kodak Easyshare" cameras for a few years
    now. I have recently upgraded to a Z650 from a CX4230. I have
    separate recharging/transfer docks for both.

    When I purchased the Z650, I did not realize that it was not
    compatible with my "Windows ME" operating system. It is made for
    "Windows 2000' and "Windows XP". The version 6.0 software that came
    with the Z650 would not install on my "Windows ME", but, luckily I was
    able to use the 2.1 software that I was using for CX4230 camera. It
    was most likely a higher version, as I had a couple of upgrades on it
    over the years, but I do not know which version it was. Maybe 3 or 4.

    Suddenly, a few weeks ago, it ceased functioning. After many hours of
    conversation with Kodak representatives, I was advised that the Z650
    is not meant for my operating system and it never should have worked
    in the first place.

    Since upgrading to a higher operating system just to use the Z650 is
    not an option for me at this time, I reattached the CX4230 camera so
    that I could have some way to transfer my photos on the SD card, to my
    computer. Apparently, the photos that I took with the Z650 could not
    be accessed by the CX4230. I could not view the photos on the CX4230
    and it showed the message "Unknown File Format". In addition, now I
    can not even transfer any new photos taken the CX4230 with the 2.1
    software version that came with it. I have removed the program and
    reinstalled it at least five times, but keep getting an "Unknown File
    Type" error when I attempt to transfer photos.

    The interactive support at Kodak suggested downloading the 6.0
    software version, but after doing that 3 times (2 hours each time with
    my dial-up service), it would not install, giving me the message that
    there was an error.

    If anyone could help me in resolving this very frustrating problem, I
    would so appreciate it. I now own two "Kodak Easyshare" cameras,
    neither of which I can transfer photos from!

    If there is a way to get my 2.1 software version to work again, it
    would be wonderful. If there is a card reader that is compatible with
    "Window ME", please tell me, so that I can try to bypass the problem-
    prone "Kodak Easyshare" software.

    Thank you so much.

    Willow

    willow, Mar 2, 2007

  2. willow

    ray Guest

    > If anyone could help me in resolving this very frustrating problem, I
    > would so appreciate it. I now own two "Kodak Easyshare" cameras,
    > neither of which I can transfer photos from!

    How about an inexpensive USB card reader - crucial.com has several.

    ray, Mar 2, 2007

  3. willow

    Ron Hunter Guest

    willow wrote:
    > Hello everyone. This is my first post here. From reading your posts
    > for while, I could see that the group is very helpful with digital
    > camera problems and I am very hopeful that someone might be able to
    > assist me.
    >
    > I have been using various "Kodak Easyshare" cameras for a few years
    > now. I have recently upgraded to a Z650 from a CX4230. I have
    > separate recharging/transfer docks for both.
    >
    > When I purchased the Z650, I did not realize that it was not
    > compatible with my "Windows ME" operating system. It is made for
    > "Windows 2000' and "Windows XP". The version 6.0 software that came
    > with the Z650 would not install on my "Windows ME", but, luckily I was
    > able to use the 2.1 software that I was using for CX4230 camera. It
    > was most likely a higher version, as I had a couple of upgrades on it
    > over the years, but I do not know which version it was. Maybe 3 or 4.
    >
    > Suddenly, a few weeks ago, it ceased functioning. After many hours of
    > conversation with Kodak representatives, I was advised that the Z650
    > is not meant for my operating system and it never should have worked
    > in the first place.
    >
    > Since upgrading to a higher operating system just to use the Z650 is
    > not an option for me at this time, I reattached the CX4230 camera so
    > that I could have some way to transfer my photos on the SD card, to my
    > computer. Apparently, the photos that I took with the Z650 could not
    > be accessed by the CX4230. I could not view the photos on the CX4230
    > and it showed the message "Unknown File Format". In addition, now I
    > can not even transfer any new photos taken the CX4230 with the 2.1
    > software version that came with it. I have removed the program and
    > reinstalled it at least five times, but keep getting an "Unknown File
    > Type" error when I attempt to transfer photos.
    >
    > The interactive support at Kodak suggested downloading the 6.0
    > software version, but after doing that 3 times (2 hours each time with
    > my dial-up service), it would not install, giving me the message that
    > there was an error.
    >
    > If anyone could help me in resolving this very frustrating problem, I
    > would so appreciate it. I now own two "Kodak Easyshare" cameras,
    > neither of which I can transfer photos from!
    >
    > If there is a way to get my 2.1 software version to work again, it
    > would be wonderful. If there is a card reader that is compatible with
    > "Window ME", please tell me, so that I can try to bypass the problem-
    > prone "Kodak Easyshare" software.
    >
    > Thank you so much.
    >
    > Willow

    Buy a card reader. Use the docks for recharging batteries only, and
    input your SD cards through the card reader. Easyshare will accept that
    data just as well as data from the camera(s).

    Ron Hunter, Mar 2, 2007
  4. willow

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 1 Mar 2007 17:56:33 -0800, "willow" <>
    wrote:

    >Hello everyone. This is my first post here. From reading your posts
    >for while, I could see that the group is very helpful with digital
    >camera problems and I am very hopeful that someone might be able to
    >assist me.

    Wndows ME will handle a USB card reader without the need for any other
    software/drivers; they are just plug'n'play.
    A reader completly does away with the need for Kodak's software; the
    card shows up just like a hard drive. You copy the files into any
    folder in your system you want them to be in.

    --
    John McCain announced for
    president on David Letterman's

    Bill Funk, Mar 2, 2007
  5. willow

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 13:16:54 -0700, Bill Funk <> wrote:

    >On 1 Mar 2007 17:56:33 -0800, "willow" <>
    >wrote:

    >>Hello everyone. This is my first post here. From reading your posts
    >>for while, I could see that the group is very helpful with digital
    >>camera problems and I am very hopeful that someone might be able to
    >>assist me.

    >Wndows ME will handle a USB card reader without the need for any other
    >software/drivers; they are just plug'n'play.

    Only if the card reader chipset was in existance in the late 90's.
    Most usb card readers require a drivers install to work with win9x.

    AZ Nomad, Mar 2, 2007
  6. willow

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings willow,

    Sorry to read that you could not get your camera connected using the latest
    version of EasyShare. the requirements for that program are noted on the
    package. Actually, your new camera will work fine with the latest version of
    EasyShare that works on the Windows Me operating system.

    The version of EasyShare you want to use is on the Kodak web site and will
    work just fine with Windows Me (Version 5.2) is available. When you go to
    the EasyShare download site, be sure to note the operating system version
    you are running and it will offer the 5.2 version to you.

    You will want to remove all other versions from your system using the
    Add/Remove feature of Windows. Once they are gone, run the clear utility
    just to be sure you have it cleared. After you have removed the other
    versions, go to the download site and get the 5.2 version.

    After it is installed, plug in your camera and the rest should be easy. You
    will be able to enjoy the extra features of your camera and EasyShare
    software. They are significant.

    If you continue to have trouble, after installing, let us know. We will get
    you up and running in no time.

    Talk to you soon, Willow. If you want to contact me off line, I will see if
    I can find and send a CD of that version of the software.

    Best regards,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Mar 2, 2007
  7. willow

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 20:25:21 GMT, AZ Nomad
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 13:16:54 -0700, Bill Funk <> wrote:
    >

    >>On 1 Mar 2007 17:56:33 -0800, "willow" <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>Hello everyone. This is my first post here. From reading your posts
    >>>for while, I could see that the group is very helpful with digital
    >>>camera problems and I am very hopeful that someone might be able to
    >>>assist me.

    >>Wndows ME will handle a USB card reader without the need for any other
    >>software/drivers; they are just plug'n'play.

    >Only if the card reader chipset was in existance in the late 90's.
    >Most usb card readers require a drivers install to work with win9x.

    I think it's fair to say, if the OP buys a card reader, it will work
    in ME.
    Unless he buys a very old reader, used, for $2.00.

    Bill Funk, Mar 3, 2007
  8. willow

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 07:50:33 -0700, Bill Funk <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 20:25:21 GMT, AZ Nomad
    ><> wrote:

    >>On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 13:16:54 -0700, Bill Funk <> wrote:

    >>>Wndows ME will handle a USB card reader without the need for any other
    >>>software/drivers; they are just plug'n'play.

    >>Only if the card reader chipset was in existance in the late 90's.
    >>Most usb card readers require a drivers install to work with win9x.

    >I think it's fair to say, if the OP buys a card reader, it will work
    >in ME.

    Probably, assuming that the card reader maker supplies a windows-9x driver
    disk.

    >Unless he buys a very old reader, used, for $2.00.

    Or buys any reader made since 1998.

    AZ Nomad, Mar 4, 2007
  9. willow

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 03:45:42 GMT, AZ Nomad
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 07:50:33 -0700, Bill Funk <> wrote:
    >

    >>On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 20:25:21 GMT, AZ Nomad
    >><> wrote:

    >>>Only if the card reader chipset was in existance in the late 90's.
    >>>Most usb card readers require a drivers install to work with win9x.

    >>I think it's fair to say, if the OP buys a card reader, it will work
    >>in ME.

    >Probably, assuming that the card reader maker supplies a windows-9x driver
    >disk.

    When I look, I find that with ME, no other software is needed, for the
    vast majority of card readers.
    >>Unless he buys a very old reader, used, for $2.00.

    >Or buys any reader made since 1998.

    Again, I can look in, for example, B&H's site, and see the majority of
    readers work with ME with no other software needed.

    --
    John Edwards was warned by Democrats
    in Nevada Thursday that his support

    Bill Funk, Mar 5, 2007