Kodak Easyshare v4.0

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Terry D, Aug 25, 2004.

  1. Terry D

    Terry D Guest

    I downloaded the latest version of Kodak Easyshare, V4.0, having previously
    using V3.2. Every time I re-booted, I got the message "Runner file name
    (Kodak software updater.exe) lacks a '.' (the app ID separator). On
    cancelling this message, the software appeared to be working, except that
    all my image files were then all associated with Easyshare, although I
    thought I'd selected the option not to associate them. Shift & right click
    gave me no option to 'Open with'. I repaired the installation and managed
    to revert to my previous setting to open in Paint Shop Pro but still with no
    'Open with' option.

    Only by completely uninstalling the Easyshare software could I regain the
    'open with' option in the drop down menu. I am now reluctant to reinstall
    V4.0.

    This software has always been a problematic - I never have been able to
    directly download from the camera (DX4330) or even see the camera in My
    Computer although I could see it in Device Manager. Kodak eventually sent
    me a free card reader (& also a free SD card) which solved the download
    problem (also much faster).

    What I really want is a user friendly photo album creation program,
    preferably free. I've looked at Irfanview, although I'm not too impressed.
    I can't figure out how to import all my images for one thing.

    Terry D.

    Terry D, Aug 25, 2004

  2. "Terry D" <> wrote in message
    > I downloaded the latest version of Kodak Easyshare, V4.0, having

    previously
    > using V3.2. Every time I re-booted, I got the message "Runner file name
    > (Kodak software updater.exe) lacks a '.' (the app ID separator). On
    > cancelling this message, the software appeared to be working, except that
    > all my image files were then all associated with Easyshare, although I
    > thought I'd selected the option not to associate them. Shift & right

    click
    > gave me no option to 'Open with'. I repaired the installation and managed
    > to revert to my previous setting to open in Paint Shop Pro but still with

    no
    > 'Open with' option.
    >
    > Only by completely uninstalling the Easyshare software could I regain the
    > 'open with' option in the drop down menu. I am now reluctant to reinstall
    > V4.0.

    did you happen to have a previous non-completed install laying around?
    Something didn't get completely installed when you ran the last install,
    which is what would throw this error. I've asked Engineering to give me a
    read on what went wrong.

    try this:

    1: uninstall the software
    2: download and run www.kodak.com/go/clear3
    3: reinstall the software

    let me know what happens

    ..

    > This software has always been a problematic - I never have been able to
    > directly download from the camera (DX4330) or even see the camera in My
    > Computer although I could see it in Device Manager. Kodak eventually sent
    > me a free card reader (& also a free SD card) which solved the download
    > problem (also much faster).

    What OS?

    If the camera is seen in device manager but not from My computer, he
    installable file system that presents the PTP camera as a disk has not been
    installed properly. (or has been stopped) What version of EasyShare was
    that?

    if it was prior to 3.3, that was a service named DCFSSVC (dc file system
    service), In later versions it was named KodakCCS. If you look at all of
    the processes on your system and one of those isn't there, the camera won't
    appear as a file system and EasyShare won't be able to read it.

    BTW, we've seen indications where OEM computer manufacturers have told
    customers to turn off DCFSSVC since they didn't know what it was. That's
    one of the reasons we renamed it to KodakCCS so someone may associate it
    with their camera

    4330 came with EasyShare 2.1, pretty old by today's standards. Lots of bugs
    fixed in CCS and in the acquisition module (AcqMod). You should upgrade to
    4.0 and try that.

    > I can't figure out how to import all my images for one thing.

    click the add pictures button, find the root of all of your pictures on a
    disk, push the button "add entire folder" and sit back and watch/wait
    depending on the number of pictures on your hard drive.

    William Jackson, Aug 25, 2004

  3. Terry D

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Terry,

    I think you made a wise choice in cameras and of course in seeking
    EasyShare. It is really a great program and should not be problematic for
    you. It is a cataloging program and will do an excellent job of organizing
    your images etc..

    When you install EasyShare there is an option that asks if you want to make
    EasyShare the program of choice for viewing images of noted types. I
    generally choose no, as I like to use Photoshop. But if you choose yes, it
    simply means that the formats noted will appear as an EasyShare option in
    your system. When clicked upon they will activate EasyShare to start the
    program etc. I do use the program for my images and Pshop as my editor.

    The reference to the Kodak Updater relates to a backweb feature that allows
    the Updater to work in the background and not interfere with any of your
    work. It looks for a new version every 21 days and if it finds one, will
    download it to your system and alert you when it is finished downloading and
    ready to install. Much the same as updates from other programs like
    Microsoft and Symantec. Nice feature, as you really only have to install
    once and it will update for you.

    If you do want reassociate file types with another program, it is not hard
    to do and you revert your system to using what it did in the past. Also, if
    you want I can instruct you on how to remove from your system and install
    the newest version. Just let me know your configuration and any particulars
    about your system. Are you behind a firewall? Virus and spam checkers, and
    so on. What are the attributes of your computer. You can share this
    privately if you like.

    Talk to you soon, Terry, glad to help.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Aug 25, 2004
  4. Terry D

    Alan Meyer Guest

    "Terry D" <> wrote in message
    > What I really want is a user friendly photo album creation program,
    > preferably free. I've looked at Irfanview, although I'm not too impressed.
    > I can't figure out how to import all my images for one thing.

    Terry,

    I'm not sure what you mean by "import". Wherever your images
    are in the file system, Irfanview can read them. You don't have to import
    them into the program.

    Personally, I think this is a superior approach to that taken by the
    album programs that hide the photos somewhere where they're
    only visible, or only understandable, to the one program that put
    them there.

    I have a directory on my computer called "Photos". I have
    sub-directories under that for various things. In my main
    collection I have sub-directories for years, for example:
    \Photos\Family\2004, \Photos\Family\2003, etc.
    If I take a trip somewhere and take a lot of pictures there
    I may make a subdirectory like:
    \Photos\Family\2004\Mexico
    Or even:
    \Photos\Family\2004\Mexico\Ixtapa
    \Photos\Family\2004\Mexico\Cancun

    I also typically create a text file with the name "Catalog.txt"
    in each directory, with my comments on the photos in that
    directory.

    With this arrangement, I can find whatever I want and I
    don't need any album software at all. I can view the images
    with Irfanview, or ACDSee, or Internet Explorer, or
    anything I please. I can very easily find things to copy
    to another directory, or to a CD - again without requiring
    any album software.

    I've just never seen what you get with album software
    except an undesirable lock-in to a program that gets
    obsolete in a few years and a vendor that goes out of
    business or abandons the product in a few years.

    When you get tired of the album software, or it won't
    run on your new 64 bit Windows 2008 or Linux 12
    computer, you have to find some way to get the
    images out and probably lose any organization
    and or cataloging that you've gone to considerable
    trouble to create.

    Oh yeah, you also get to pay for it.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Aug 26, 2004
  5. Terry D

    Terry D Guest

    Alan Meyer wrote:
    > "Terry D" <> wrote in message
    >> What I really want is a user friendly photo album creation program,
    >> preferably free. I've looked at Irfanview, although I'm not too
    >> impressed. I can't figure out how to import all my images for one
    >> thing.

    > Terry,
    >
    > I'm not sure what you mean by "import". Wherever your images
    > are in the file system, Irfanview can read them. You don't have to
    > import them into the program.
    >
    > Personally, I think this is a superior approach to that taken by the
    > album programs that hide the photos somewhere where they're
    > only visible, or only understandable, to the one program that put
    > them there.
    >
    > I have a directory on my computer called "Photos". I have
    > sub-directories under that for various things. In my main
    > collection I have sub-directories for years, for example:
    > \Photos\Family\2004, \Photos\Family\2003, etc.
    > If I take a trip somewhere and take a lot of pictures there
    > I may make a subdirectory like:
    > \Photos\Family\2004\Mexico
    > Or even:
    > \Photos\Family\2004\Mexico\Ixtapa
    > \Photos\Family\2004\Mexico\Cancun
    >
    > I also typically create a text file with the name "Catalog.txt"
    > in each directory, with my comments on the photos in that
    > directory.
    >
    > With this arrangement, I can find whatever I want and I
    > don't need any album software at all. I can view the images
    > with Irfanview, or ACDSee, or Internet Explorer, or
    > anything I please. I can very easily find things to copy
    > to another directory, or to a CD - again without requiring
    > any album software.
    >
    > I've just never seen what you get with album software
    > except an undesirable lock-in to a program that gets
    > obsolete in a few years and a vendor that goes out of
    > business or abandons the product in a few years.
    >
    > When you get tired of the album software, or it won't
    > run on your new 64 bit Windows 2008 or Linux 12
    > computer, you have to find some way to get the
    > images out and probably lose any organization
    > and or cataloging that you've gone to considerable
    > trouble to create.
    >
    > Oh yeah, you also get to pay for it.
    >
    > Alan

    The Easyshare software automatically creates directories by date taken and
    also stores all images in a "Kodak Pictures" directory so they are easily
    accessible from any photo-editing program. I like the software because I
    can easily create albums by simply dragging & dropping, although the image
    files are not actually moved. I have now successfully reinstalled V4.0
    Easyshare and it offers a few improvements over V3.2, such as the ability to
    order photos in albums by dragging & dropping. It also provides fairly
    basic editing & enhancements. If I want more, I can easily open the files
    in Photoshop or Irfanview.

    Terry D.

    Terry D, Aug 26, 2004
  6. Terry D

    thejudge123

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2008
    Messages:
    2

    HI ROB I realise that this posting is now quite old however it appears Kodak have done nothing to rectify getting this message even after installing the very version software.. I have had this camera only 2 months and am very happy with it but very frustrated that a software problem know about all this time has still not been rectidied with regard to "the app id separator"

    thejudge123, Aug 28, 2008
  7. Terry D

    thejudge123

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Kodak Easyshare v4.0HI

    ROB I realise that this posting is now quite old however it appears Kodak have done nothing to rectify getting this message even after installing the very latest version software.. I have had this camera only 2 months and am very happy with it but very frustrated that a software problem know about all this time has still not been rectified with regard to "the app id separator"

    thejudge123, Aug 28, 2008