Kodak Easyshare Software V6.01 download

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by AlanCB, Jul 13, 2006.

  1. AlanCB

    AlanCB Guest

    There seems to be a lack of very basic information on the Kodak website
    concerning the downloading and installation of the Easyshare software,
    and therefore I would appreciate if anyone can provide any info/answers
    to my questions below.

    I have an Kodak Easyshare LS743 digital camera, and Easyshare v4.02
    installed on my laptop. I would like to update to the EasyShare V6.0.1
    software, and also install the EasyShare Software V6.0/Photo Greeting
    Cards Template.

    I have a 56K dialup connection, and therefore I have some questions :

    1. Will I be able to save the downloads of the EasyShare V6.0.1
    software(45 MB) and the EasyShare Software V6.0/Photo Greeting Cards
    Template software(32MB) to my laptop Hard Drive for future
    installation/ re-installation ?

    In other words I would like to download the 2 software files as 2
    executable files, saving them to my hard drive, so that I can install
    them at a later date, without having to download them again from the
    website. Will I be able to do that ?

    2. In the event of an interruption in the download, can the download be
    resumed from where it was interrupted ?

    3. Is the installation of the downloaded EasyShare software an active
    installation, requiring internet connection to the download site for
    completion ?

    4. What is the exact procedure for downloading and installing the
    software ?

    Thank you very much for any assistance you can provide.
    AlanCB, Jul 13, 2006

  2. AlanCB

    Roy G Guest

    "AlanCB" <> wrote in message
    > There seems to be a lack of very basic information on the Kodak website

    Hi.

    I don't have any specific knowledge of Kodak, I don't use any of their
    products.

    The easiest way to find out if the Download will give a File which can be
    saved to your HDD, is to start the Download.

    Before anything comes down you should see a screen which will ask if you
    want to "Install" or "Save".

    Click on "Save" and then browse to wherever you want to save the file. It
    is a very good idea to save it into a Folder of its own. Sometimes when
    running these saved exe files they can interact with another exe file in the
    same folder.

    Why not ask a Broadband equiped friend to download these for you, and then
    burn them to CD.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Jul 13, 2006

  3. AlanCB

    jeremy Guest

    "AlanCB" <> wrote in message

    > In other words I would like to download the 2 software files as 2
    > executable files, saving them to my hard drive, so that I can install
    > them at a later date, without having to download them again from the
    > website. Will I be able to do that ?

    No. The initial install file is small, but when you want to do the install,
    it downloads from the Kodak web site. There is no provision for you to save
    it to your hard disk for a later installation.

    2. In the event of an interruption in the download, can the download be
    > resumed from where it was interrupted ?
    >
    > 3. Is the installation of the downloaded EasyShare software an active
    > installation, requiring internet connection to the download site for
    > completion ?

    Yes. It's a huge file for a dial-up connection.

    > 4. What is the exact procedure for downloading and installing the
    > software ?

    It's fairly automatic. But the download time is going to be a bummer.

    jeremy, Jul 13, 2006
  4. AlanCB

    AlanCB Guest

    Roy & Jeremy, thanks for your replies/info.

    Do I have to uninstall Easyshare V4.02 before attempting to download &
    install Easyshare V6.01 ? Or is that taken care of during the download
    installation process ?

    AlanCB

    AlanCB, Jul 13, 2006
  6. AlanCB

    jeremy Guest

    "AlanCB" <> wrote in message
    > Roy & Jeremy, thanks for your replies/info.
    >
    > Do I have to uninstall Easyshare V4.02 before attempting to download &
    > install Easyshare V6.01 ? Or is that taken care of during the download
    > installation process ?
    >
    > AlanCB

    no.
    jeremy, Jul 13, 2006
  7. AlanCB

    Guest

    >No. The initial install file is small, but when you want to do the install,
    >it downloads from the Kodak web site. There is no provision for you to save
    >it to your hard disk for a later installation.

    It will be on hard drive. You'll just have to find it.
    , Jul 13, 2006
  8. AlanCB

    jeremy Guest

    <> wrote in message

    >>No. The initial install file is small, but when you want to do the
    >>install,
    >>it downloads from the Kodak web site. There is no provision for you to
    >>save
    >>it to your hard disk for a later installation.

    > It will be on hard drive. You'll just have to find it.

    It does not give the option of saving it to the hard drive--it installs
    directly from the web and it configures itself to the user's computer during
    the download/installation process.
    jeremy, Jul 13, 2006
  9. AlanCB

    Ron Hunter Guest

    AlanCB wrote:
    > There seems to be a lack of very basic information on the Kodak website
    > concerning the downloading and installation of the Easyshare software,
    > and therefore I would appreciate if anyone can provide any info/answers
    > to my questions below.
    >
    > I have an Kodak Easyshare LS743 digital camera, and Easyshare v4.02
    > installed on my laptop. I would like to update to the EasyShare V6.0.1
    > software, and also install the EasyShare Software V6.0/Photo Greeting
    > Cards Template.
    >
    > I have a 56K dialup connection, and therefore I have some questions :
    >
    > 1. Will I be able to save the downloads of the EasyShare V6.0.1
    > software(45 MB) and the EasyShare Software V6.0/Photo Greeting Cards
    > Template software(32MB) to my laptop Hard Drive for future
    > installation/ re-installation ?
    >
    > In other words I would like to download the 2 software files as 2
    > executable files, saving them to my hard drive, so that I can install
    > them at a later date, without having to download them again from the
    > website. Will I be able to do that ?
    >
    > 2. In the event of an interruption in the download, can the download be
    > resumed from where it was interrupted ?
    >
    > 3. Is the installation of the downloaded EasyShare software an active
    > installation, requiring internet connection to the download site for
    > completion ?
    >
    > 4. What is the exact procedure for downloading and installing the
    > software ?
    >
    > Thank you very much for any assistance you can provide.

    Answers to these questions are on the Kodak site. I suggest that dialup
    users contack Kodak for a CD which will probably get to you before you
    could complete downloading files of this size.
    Ron Hunter, Jul 14, 2006
  10. AlanCB

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Roy G wrote:
    > "AlanCB" <> wrote in message
    >> There seems to be a lack of very basic information on the Kodak website

    > Hi.
    >
    > I don't have any specific knowledge of Kodak, I don't use any of their
    > products.
    >
    > The easiest way to find out if the Download will give a File which can be
    > saved to your HDD, is to start the Download.
    >
    > Before anything comes down you should see a screen which will ask if you
    > want to "Install" or "Save".
    >
    > Click on "Save" and then browse to wherever you want to save the file. It
    > is a very good idea to save it into a Folder of its own. Sometimes when
    > running these saved exe files they can interact with another exe file in the
    > same folder.
    >
    > Why not ask a Broadband equiped friend to download these for you, and then
    > burn them to CD.
    >
    > Roy G

    The Kodak software download is ONLY the downloader/installer, not the
    body of the program. I can be interrupted and restarted (at least they
    claim so), but given the size of the files, dialup users might find it
    easier to buy the CD version.
    Ron Hunter, Jul 14, 2006
  11. AlanCB

    Ron Hunter Guest

    AlanCB wrote:
    > Roy & Jeremy, thanks for your replies/info.
    >
    > Do I have to uninstall Easyshare V4.02 before attempting to download &
    > install Easyshare V6.01 ? Or is that taken care of during the download
    > installation process ?
    >
    > AlanCB

    No. Each version is complete.
    Ron Hunter, Jul 14, 2006
  12. AlanCB

    Guest

    On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 19:50:18 GMT, "jeremy" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>No. The initial install file is small, but when you want to do the
    >>>install,
    >>>it downloads from the Kodak web site. There is no provision for you to
    >>>save
    >>>it to your hard disk for a later installation.

    >> It will be on hard drive. You'll just have to find it.

    >It does not give the option of saving it to the hard drive--it installs
    >directly from the web and it configures itself to the user's computer during
    >the download/installation process.

    Yes it does. It will ask you where you want to download the
    series of files used in the installation. It will then install
    automatically if not interrupted. Just determine when the
    download ends and make a copy of the downloaded files.
    Then halt the process. You can then install at your leisure.
    , Jul 14, 2006
  13. AlanCB

    AlanCB Guest

    Ron

    Where exactly on the Kodak site are the answers to these questions ?

    Was advised by Kodak Customer Support that the CD for Easyshare V6.x is
    not available yet, and won't be for a couple months.

    ---------------

    AlanCB, Jul 14, 2006
  14. AlanCB

    AlanCB Guest

    Tnom, thanks for your your reply/info.

    There seems to be a difference of opinion here, as to whether you can
    specify where the downloaded Easyshare software files ("series of
    files used in the installation") are to be saved on your hard drive.

    Tnom you say, quote "Just determine when the download ends and make a
    copy of the downloaded files. Then halt the process".

    I would not feel comfortable stopping the installation process once it
    has begun.

    Wouldn't it be better when the download ends, to stop the process
    before the automatically installation begins, and then make a copy of
    the downloaded files ?

    Or is too difficult to time the interruption to exactly between
    completion of the download and start of installation ?

    Or does stopping the (installation) process cause the downloaded files
    to be deleted ?

    What is the procedure for "installing at your leisure" from the
    downloaded files that you have copied ?

    ------------

    AlanCB, Jul 14, 2006
  15. AlanCB

    Ron Hunter Guest

    AlanCB wrote:
    > Ron
    >
    > Where exactly on the Kodak site are the answers to these questions ?
    >
    > Was advised by Kodak Customer Support that the CD for Easyshare V6.x is
    > not available yet, and won't be for a couple months.
    >
    > ---------------
    >
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Answers to these questions are on the Kodak site. I suggest that dialup
    >> users contack Kodak for a CD which will probably get to you before you
    >> could complete downloading files of this size.

    Well, if you are all that hot for the update, just start it downloading,
    and take a week's vacation. Might be done when you get back, assuming
    your ISP doesn't have connect time limits. The files are LARGE, and one
    reason the download process is set up as it is is because it enables
    downloading ONLY the files needed for your computer. I have not
    downloaded versions of Easyshare because I find it really annoying slow,
    and cumbersome to use, compared with other software I have available,
    but if you like it, and want to go to the trouble, and time, to get it,
    just start the download up, and try to be patient.
    Ron Hunter, Jul 14, 2006
  16. AlanCB

    Guest

    On 13 Jul 2006 21:28:17 -0700, "AlanCB" <> wrote:

    >Tnom, thanks for your your reply/info.
    >
    >There seems to be a difference of opinion here, as to whether you can
    >specify where the downloaded Easyshare software files ("series of
    >files used in the installation") are to be saved on your hard drive.

    It will ask you where to download the files before the download
    starts.

    >Tnom you say, quote "Just determine when the download ends and make a
    >copy of the downloaded files. Then halt the process".
    >
    >I would not feel comfortable stopping the installation process once it
    >has begun.
    >
    >Wouldn't it be better when the download ends, to stop the process
    >before the automatically installation begins, and then make a copy of
    >the downloaded files ?

    If the program would not automatically install then it would be best
    to copy at that time but it continues without an option to stop it.
    When it completes it tells you to restart your computer.

    >Or is too difficult to time the interruption to exactly between
    >completion of the download and start of installation ?
    >
    >Or does stopping the (installation) process cause the downloaded files
    >to be deleted ?
    >
    >What is the procedure for "installing at your leisure" from the
    >downloaded files that you have copied ?

    Downloading takes much more time than installing so you may as well
    continue the full process if you really want the program.

    The safest way is to complete the install. Do not restart.Copy the
    install files from your selected folder then uninstall the two
    programs that were just installed with the add/remove function.

    * uninstall removes the install files. That is why you must make a
    copy of them before you uninstall.

    You now have the install files that can be distributed through file
    sharing networks.
    , Jul 14, 2006
  17. AlanCB

    AlanCB Guest

    Tnom

    Are the install files deleted on uninstalling, or during the restart ?

    I would not want to uninstall. Therefore based on what you suggest
    below, I would download and complete the initial install, but before
    restarting the computer, I would copy the install files from my
    selected folder (just in case they are deleted on restart), and then
    restart the computer to complete the install.

    Would that be OK ?

    How many install files are there, and what are the sizes ?

    -----------------------

    AlanCB, Jul 14, 2006
  18. AlanCB

    AlanCB Guest

    Ron

    According to the Kodak website, the Easyshare V6.01 software (~45MB)
    and the KODAK EASYSHARE Software V6.0 / Photo Greeting Cards Template
    V1.0 (~32MB), would take approx. 142 minutes and 101 minutes,
    respectively, on a 56K dialup connection, hardly long enough for a
    vacation.

    My fear is interruptions during the download or install, which would
    put me back to square one, and if during the install, might possibly
    cause other problems.

    Therefore I would prefer to use the CD (unavailable), but failing that,
    it would be preferable to be able to download and save the software to
    my hard drive, and then install afterwards.

    Furthermore, I have 2 computers to update.

    I want to give Easyshare V6.0 a try, to see how much better it is than
    V4.02

    ---------

    AlanCB, Jul 14, 2006
  19. AlanCB

    Guest

    On 14 Jul 2006 04:53:29 -0700, "AlanCB" <> wrote:

    >Tnom
    >
    >Are the install files deleted on uninstalling, or during the restart ?

    >I would not want to uninstall. Therefore based on what you suggest
    >below, I would download and complete the initial install, but before
    >restarting the computer, I would copy the install files from my
    >selected folder (just in case they are deleted on restart), and then
    >restart the computer to complete the install.
    >
    >Would that be OK ?
    >
    >How many install files are there, and what are the sizes ?

    CORRECTION:

    After actually going through the process the files you need for later
    installation are located here on my computer. Yours should be similar.
    C:\documents and settings\all users\application data\Kodak\easyshare
    setup\

    Make a copy of them before you restart. Click on setup.exe in the
    setup folder in order to install a later time.

    If you want the program then continue as instructed with the install.
    If you do not then do not register and do not restart. Just uninstall
    the two new entries in the add/remove section. (Bonjour and Kodak
    easyshare)
    , Jul 14, 2006
  20. AlanCB

    no_name Guest

    jeremy wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>>No. The initial install file is small, but when you want to do the
    >>>install,
    >>>it downloads from the Kodak web site. There is no provision for you to
    >>>save
    >>>it to your hard disk for a later installation.

    >>It will be on hard drive. You'll just have to find it.

    > It does not give the option of saving it to the hard drive--it installs
    > directly from the web and it configures itself to the user's computer during
    > the download/installation process.

    And eats, and eats, and eats, ... and eats hard-disk space. Every time
    you open one of your images to share it, it makes another copy on the
    hard-disk.
    no_name, Jul 17, 2006