Kodak EasyShare software question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Maddie, Nov 13, 2005.

  1. Maddie

    Maddie Guest

    Hi,

    I've searched the archives of this group for an answer to my question,
    but haven't found anything directly on point (yet). So, I thought I'd
    take a shot and ask.

    I recently switched my digital camera from a Panasonic to the Kodak
    EasyShare. The former's software was no problem. Like others, I'm
    having difficulty with the EasyShare software, namely it
    freezes/crashes my computer and other programs.

    I don't really care for the Kodak software anyway. Is there a way to
    bypass it altogether and just install something that would enable me
    to transfer the photos from the camera to my computer?

    Any help is much appreciated!

    TIA,
    Maddie
    If you don't find God in the next person you meet,
    it is a waste of time looking for Him further. (Gandhi)

    Maddie, Nov 13, 2005

  2. Uninstall EasyShare, but then you lose the ability for the computer to
    'recognize' the camera. You can then use a memory card reader (and its
    software/driver) to read the memory card's contents (like another
    drive) and copy or drag them to a new folder on your computer.

    Sounds complicated?

    You may be better off uninstalling EasyShare and downloading the most
    current version from Kodak's website. And it may help to temporarily
    disable your security software long enough to download.

    -Cardamon

    Cardamon Dave, Nov 13, 2005

  3. Maddie

    Guest Guest

    I didn't install the software. Just plug the USB cord into the camera and
    if you have XP the camera appears as a removable drive. Drag and drop your
    heart out. If you have an older operating system, you will need a driver.

    Guest, Nov 13, 2005
  4. Maddie

    Anabella M. Guest

    Hi Maddie, please note that if you want to do a really good cleaning job
    when removing the Kodak Easyshare Crapware and all its spyware and other
    registry entries, make sure that you run the free Kodak 'clear' utility.
    This will solve a lot of your computer problems related to Easyshare.

    You can find it here:

    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/serv...dln00007ClearUtility.jhtml?CID=go&idhbx=clear

    HTH, Anabella M.

    --
    Anabella M.

    .....it's better to have loved and lost
    than to have never seen "Lost in Space"!
    --Kelly Bundy

    Anabella M., Nov 13, 2005
  5. Maddie

    Maddie Guest

    Cardamon Dave:
    >Uninstall EasyShare, but then you lose the ability for the computer to
    >'recognize' the camera. You can then use a memory card reader (and its
    >software/driver) to read the memory card's contents (like another
    >drive) and copy or drag them to a new folder on your computer.
    >
    >Sounds complicated?

    Not at all! Great tip -- it worked like a charm =)

    Can't thank you enough!

    Very grateful,

    Maddie, Nov 13, 2005
  6. Maddie

    Maddie Guest

    <d>:
    >I didn't install the software. Just plug the USB cord into the camera and
    >if you have XP the camera appears as a removable drive. Drag and drop your
    >heart out. If you have an older operating system, you will need a driver.

    Thanks for your help -- appreciate it!

    -----

    Maddie, Nov 13, 2005
  7. Maddie

    Maddie Guest

    Anabella M.:
    >Hi Maddie, please note that if you want to do a really good cleaning job
    >when removing the Kodak Easyshare Crapware and all its spyware and other
    >registry entries, make sure that you run the free Kodak 'clear' utility.
    >This will solve a lot of your computer problems related to Easyshare.
    >
    >You can find it here:
    >
    >http://www.kodak.com/global/en/serv...dln00007ClearUtility.jhtml?CID=go&idhbx=clear
    >
    >HTH, Anabella M.

    Thank you so much! I hate when things linger after uninstalling, and
    yours is excellent advice.

    -----

    Maddie, Nov 13, 2005
  8. Maddie

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Maddie wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've searched the archives of this group for an answer to my question,
    > but haven't found anything directly on point (yet). So, I thought I'd
    > take a shot and ask.
    >
    > I recently switched my digital camera from a Panasonic to the Kodak
    > EasyShare. The former's software was no problem. Like others, I'm
    > having difficulty with the EasyShare software, namely it
    > freezes/crashes my computer and other programs.
    >
    > I don't really care for the Kodak software anyway. Is there a way to
    > bypass it altogether and just install something that would enable me
    > to transfer the photos from the camera to my computer?
    >
    > Any help is much appreciated!
    >
    > TIA,
    > Maddie
    > If you don't find God in the next person you meet,
    > it is a waste of time looking for Him further. (Gandhi)

    You can only install the CSS (camera support) part of the package. This
    will support loading the data from the camera using your file manager.
    I also find the Kodak software less than appealing, although it runs
    fine on my machines.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Nov 13, 2005
  9. In article <>, Maddie
    <> wrote:

    > I recently switched my digital camera from a Panasonic to the Kodak
    > EasyShare. The former's software was no problem. Like others, I'm
    > having difficulty with the EasyShare software, namely it
    > freezes/crashes my computer and other programs.
    >
    > I don't really care for the Kodak software anyway. Is there a way to
    > bypass it altogether and just install something that would enable me
    > to transfer the photos from the camera to my computer?

    I really wish companies like Kodak would get away from selling cameras
    with these stupid dock things.

    My girlfriend recently had her Kodak digital camera stolen. The camera
    was recovered, but the thieves took the USB cable and it wasn't
    recovered. In their intelligence, the thieves took pictures of
    themselves and their friends (rocket scientists all), but the USB cable
    has a bastard connector. So now she's hoping the cops can get the
    images off the SD card.
    But these docks sound like a nice idea, but they just cause problems.
    Yes, the Kodak software really bites. I guess the best solution is a
    card reader.

    Randall Ainsworth, Nov 13, 2005
  10. Maddie

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 10:09:00 -0800, Randall Ainsworth
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, Maddie
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> I recently switched my digital camera from a Panasonic to the Kodak
    >> EasyShare. The former's software was no problem. Like others, I'm
    >> having difficulty with the EasyShare software, namely it
    >> freezes/crashes my computer and other programs.
    >>
    >> I don't really care for the Kodak software anyway. Is there a way to
    >> bypass it altogether and just install something that would enable me
    >> to transfer the photos from the camera to my computer?

    >I really wish companies like Kodak would get away from selling cameras
    >with these stupid dock things.
    >
    >My girlfriend recently had her Kodak digital camera stolen. The camera
    >was recovered, but the thieves took the USB cable and it wasn't
    >recovered. In their intelligence, the thieves took pictures of
    >themselves and their friends (rocket scientists all), but the USB cable
    >has a bastard connector. So now she's hoping the cops can get the
    >images off the SD card.

    Why can't the cops get the images off the card? Is there something
    about the Kodak cameras that require the dock? The card can't be read
    in a card reader?

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Nov 13, 2005
  11. Maddie

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    > In article <>, Maddie
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I recently switched my digital camera from a Panasonic to the Kodak
    >> EasyShare. The former's software was no problem. Like others, I'm
    >> having difficulty with the EasyShare software, namely it
    >> freezes/crashes my computer and other programs.
    >>
    >> I don't really care for the Kodak software anyway. Is there a way to
    >> bypass it altogether and just install something that would enable me
    >> to transfer the photos from the camera to my computer?

    > I really wish companies like Kodak would get away from selling cameras
    > with these stupid dock things.
    >
    > My girlfriend recently had her Kodak digital camera stolen. The camera
    > was recovered, but the thieves took the USB cable and it wasn't
    > recovered. In their intelligence, the thieves took pictures of
    > themselves and their friends (rocket scientists all), but the USB cable
    > has a bastard connector. So now she's hoping the cops can get the
    > images off the SD card.
    > But these docks sound like a nice idea, but they just cause problems.
    > Yes, the Kodak software really bites. I guess the best solution is a
    > card reader.

    I have a dock, and find it charges the batteries well. Of course it
    isn't currently attached to the USB interface as I much prefer reading
    the cards with a card reader. I also don't use the Kodak software. It
    may be fine for non-technical users, but just doesn't operate the way I
    want it to, so I don't use it. I see no problem with this.

    As for your USB cable problem, just order a new one from Kodak.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Nov 14, 2005
  12. Maddie

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Bill Funk wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 10:09:00 -0800, Randall Ainsworth
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, Maddie
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I recently switched my digital camera from a Panasonic to the Kodak
    >>> EasyShare. The former's software was no problem. Like others, I'm
    >>> having difficulty with the EasyShare software, namely it
    >>> freezes/crashes my computer and other programs.
    >>>
    >>> I don't really care for the Kodak software anyway. Is there a way to
    >>> bypass it altogether and just install something that would enable me
    >>> to transfer the photos from the camera to my computer?

    >> I really wish companies like Kodak would get away from selling cameras
    >> with these stupid dock things.
    >>
    >> My girlfriend recently had her Kodak digital camera stolen. The camera
    >> was recovered, but the thieves took the USB cable and it wasn't
    >> recovered. In their intelligence, the thieves took pictures of
    >> themselves and their friends (rocket scientists all), but the USB cable
    >> has a bastard connector. So now she's hoping the cops can get the
    >> images off the SD card.

    > Why can't the cops get the images off the card? Is there something
    > about the Kodak cameras that require the dock? The card can't be read
    > in a card reader?
    >> But these docks sound like a nice idea, but they just cause problems.
    >> Yes, the Kodak software really bites. I guess the best solution is a
    >> card reader.

    No, of course NOT.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Nov 14, 2005
  13. Maddie

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 03:29:04 -0600, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    >Bill Funk wrote:
    >> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 10:09:00 -0800, Randall Ainsworth
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> I really wish companies like Kodak would get away from selling cameras
    >>> with these stupid dock things.
    >>>
    >>> My girlfriend recently had her Kodak digital camera stolen. The camera
    >>> was recovered, but the thieves took the USB cable and it wasn't
    >>> recovered. In their intelligence, the thieves took pictures of
    >>> themselves and their friends (rocket scientists all), but the USB cable
    >>> has a bastard connector. So now she's hoping the cops can get the
    >>> images off the SD card.

    >> Why can't the cops get the images off the card? Is there something
    >> about the Kodak cameras that require the dock? The card can't be read
    >> in a card reader?
    >>> But these docks sound like a nice idea, but they just cause problems.
    >>> Yes, the Kodak software really bites. I guess the best solution is a
    >>> card reader.

    >No, of course NOT.

    Why NOT?
    Is there something about the card's format that won't let the image
    files be downloaded without the dock?

    Bill Funk, Nov 14, 2005
  14. In article <fNYdf.23480$>, Ron Hunter
    <> wrote:

    > I have a dock, and find it charges the batteries well. Of course it
    > isn't currently attached to the USB interface as I much prefer reading
    > the cards with a card reader. I also don't use the Kodak software. It
    > may be fine for non-technical users, but just doesn't operate the way I
    > want it to, so I don't use it. I see no problem with this.
    >
    > As for your USB cable problem, just order a new one from Kodak.

    I believe she has some bids in on eBay.

    But my complaint is that they can't even use a standard mini-USB
    connector - they have to use some bastard thing that's not readily
    available.

    Randall Ainsworth, Nov 14, 2005
  15. In article <>, Bill Funk
    <> wrote:

    > Why NOT?
    > Is there something about the card's format that won't let the image
    > files be downloaded without the dock?

    The cops were able to get the images off the SD card. Don't know if
    they used a stick reader or just went to Wally World and had prints
    made. But the dock was not needed.

    Randall Ainsworth, Nov 14, 2005
  16. Maddie

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 06:37:36 -0800, Randall Ainsworth
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, Bill Funk
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> Why NOT?
    >> Is there something about the card's format that won't let the image
    >> files be downloaded without the dock?

    >The cops were able to get the images off the SD card. Don't know if
    >they used a stick reader or just went to Wally World and had prints
    >made. But the dock was not needed.

    Tghat's what I waqs wondering about.
    It was said that a friend's camera was stolen, the thiefs had taken
    pics of themselves (obviously, they could be seen in the camera's
    LCD), and the hope was expressed that he cops would be able to get the
    pics ("So now she's hoping the cops can get the images off the SD
    card.") I was wondering why someone couldn't just put the card into a
    reader and get them.

    Bill Funk, Nov 14, 2005
  17. Maddie

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Bill Funk wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 06:37:36 -0800, Randall Ainsworth
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, Bill Funk
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Why NOT?
    >>> Is there something about the card's format that won't let the image
    >>> files be downloaded without the dock?

    >> The cops were able to get the images off the SD card. Don't know if
    >> they used a stick reader or just went to Wally World and had prints
    >> made. But the dock was not needed.

    > Tghat's what I waqs wondering about.
    > It was said that a friend's camera was stolen, the thiefs had taken
    > pics of themselves (obviously, they could be seen in the camera's
    > LCD), and the hope was expressed that he cops would be able to get the
    > pics ("So now she's hoping the cops can get the images off the SD
    > card.") I was wondering why someone couldn't just put the card into a
    > reader and get them.

    If they can't, then they need to hire smarter cops!

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Nov 15, 2005
  18. In article <Rzbef.4811$>, Ron Hunter
    <> wrote:

    > If they can't, then they need to hire smarter cops!

    Well, they don't seem to be real technologically astute.

    Randall Ainsworth, Nov 15, 2005
  19. Maddie

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    > In article <Rzbef.4811$>, Ron Hunter
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> If they can't, then they need to hire smarter cops!

    > Well, they don't seem to be real technologically astute.

    Maybe it is because most of the people they deal with aren't either...
    We need a new kind of cop to deal with computer related crimes.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Nov 15, 2005