    it is here: http://tinyurl.com/9fnss ] So will this allow me to attach
    ANY 55mm filter or lens to my camera? I guess it seems simple but it
    almost sounds too good to be true.
    Wakke, Feb 6, 2006

  2. Wakke

    KennyJr Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hello, I'm new to the group, and new to photography in general. I hope
    > to stick around and get to know some of you.
    >
    > My question aims at the lens adapter for the Kodak P850. [ The page for
    > it is here: http://tinyurl.com/9fnss ] So will this allow me to attach
    > ANY 55mm filter or lens to my camera? I guess it seems simple but it
    > almost sounds too good to be true.

    Yep. With the lens adapter you'll be able to attach any 55mm filter or
    lens to the P850. Just about any filter will be ok, but if you intend to
    get a telephoto or wide angle lens I'd spend the extra money and get a
    good one. When I have my Sony I got a cheap 2x lens and was disappointed
    in the quality.

    KennyJr, Feb 6, 2006

  3. Wakke

    Wakke Guest

    That's amazing, I never would have thought it'd be that simple. I mean
    nothing is ever that simple. Nothing! Thank you so much, you just made
    my day. Now, to look into a good polarizer.
    Wakke, Feb 6, 2006
  4. Wakke

    Ron Baird Guest

    Wakke wrote:

    >Hello, I'm new to the group, and new to photography in general. I hope
    >to stick around and get to know some of you.
    >
    >My question aims at the lens adapter for the Kodak P850. [ The page for
    >it is here: http://tinyurl.com/9fnss ] So will this allow me to attach
    >ANY 55mm filter or lens to my camera? I guess it seems simple but it
    >almost sounds too good to be true.

    Greetings Wakke,

    Nice to meet you and glad to help.

    No, the adapter relates to the accessories made for the camera and not
    any lens. It will accept any filters, and such but only the lenses that
    were designed for the camera. You can find them listed at the following
    URLs.

    http://www.kodak.com/go/p850
    or
    http://www.kodak.com/go/accessories

    Just click on the link to accessories. You will find the adapter as you
    have shown in your link but a reference to the other accessory lenses,
    i.e. Telephoto and Wide Angle. These are the only lenses I am familiar
    with that will fit that camera. Of courese if you have other filters
    etc. in the 55mm format, they should fit as well. Kodak offers a
    ploarizer and ND filter, as you know. Check the web for others.

    My use of the camera was very pleasing and I got some great shots of
    family and friends. I like the external flash option and the IS feature.

    Talk to you soon, Wakke, see you around the group.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company
    Ron Baird, Feb 7, 2006
  5. Wakke

    Wakke Guest

    So what happens or if I get the adapter and try and use another 55mm
    lens? Is it not going to fit? Will it break or not work? I guess I
    don't understand why if my lens is 55mm why can't i add ANY 55mm lens
    or filter?

    Thank you.
    Wakke, Feb 8, 2006
  6. Wakke

    KennyJr Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > So what happens or if I get the adapter and try and use another 55mm
    > lens? Is it not going to fit? Will it break or not work? I guess I
    > don't understand why if my lens is 55mm why can't i add ANY 55mm lens
    > or filter?

    Any 55mm filter should work with the lens adapter on the P850. Also both
    the Kodak 1.4x and the Olympus 1.7x teleconverters will work with the
    P850. There are many examples on the dPreview Kodak forums of pictures
    taken with the Oly TCON and the Kodak TCON.

    KennyJr, Feb 8, 2006
  7. Wakke

    Wakke Guest

    So I can use some other 55mm lenses, just not many? I hope so, Kodak
    only has two 55mm lenses on their site. I'd like to have a few more
    choices and price options.
    Wakke, Feb 9, 2006
  8. Wakke

    KennyJr Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > So I can use some other 55mm lenses, just not many? I hope so, Kodak
    > only has two 55mm lenses on their site. I'd like to have a few more
    > choices and price options.

    Take a look over at the dPreview Kodak forum. There are a lot of
    examples of photos taken with the Oly 1.7x TCON. From what I've read
    there the Oly TCON is 1.7x compared to Kodak's 1.4x. I've also heard it
    is cheaper.

    A word of warning. I've seen cheaper telephoto adapters and even bought
    one myself and was very disappointed in the quality. From the pictures
    I've seen both the Olympus and Kodak adapters produce very good photos.

    KennyJr, Feb 9, 2006
  9. Wakke

    Ron Baird Guest

    Wakke wrote:

    >So what happens or if I get the adapter and try and use another 55mm
    >lens? Is it not going to fit? Will it break or not work? I guess I
    >don't understand why if my lens is 55mm why can't i add ANY 55mm lens
    >or filter?
    >
    >Thank you.

    Greetings Wakker,

    No, it will accept the 55mm thread size, but since I am not sure what
    you are going to attach to it, something that will add to much weight,
    interfere with the lens action and so would not be suggested but lens
    filters etc. are certainly an option. I guess I have the word lens in my
    mind as being and SLR type of lens, which of course cannot be done.

    Enjoy Wakker, let me know if you have additional questions.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company
    Ron Baird, Feb 10, 2006
  10. Wakke

    Wakke Guest

    > No, it will accept the 55mm thread size, but since I am not sure what
    > you are going to attach to it, something that will add to much weight,
    > interfere with the lens action and so would not be suggested but lens
    > filters etc. are certainly an option. I guess I have the word lens in my
    > mind as being and SLR type of lens, which of course cannot be done.
    >
    > Enjoy Wakker, let me know if you have additional questions.
    >
    > Ron Baird
    > Eastman Kodak Company

    Ahh, so it's not so much that the lenses won't fit or physically be
    compatible with it after i get the adapter it's more it would be too
    hard to use because of the weight, and could damage the camera? It's
    not some limitation kodak has so you have to buy their lenses it's that
    fact that it could damge the camera due to weight? Alright I think I
    get it now.

    However, can I bring your attention to this:
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1011&message=17117633

    Would there be a problem there? Although I think I'd rather stick with
    55mm, there seems to be more for that size. Although I know next to
    nothing about photography.

    Thank you all for your help thus far.
    Wakke, Feb 10, 2006
  11. Wakke

    Ron Baird Guest

    Wakke wrote:

    >>No, it will accept the 55mm thread size, but since I am not sure what
    >>you are going to attach to it, something that will add to much weight,
    >>interfere with the lens action and so would not be suggested but lens
    >>filters etc. are certainly an option. I guess I have the word lens in my
    >>mind as being and SLR type of lens, which of course cannot be done.
    >>
    >>Enjoy Wakker, let me know if you have additional questions.
    >>
    >>Ron Baird
    >>Eastman Kodak Company
    >>

    >Ahh, so it's not so much that the lenses won't fit or physically be
    >compatible with it after i get the adapter it's more it would be too
    >hard to use because of the weight, and could damage the camera? It's
    >not some limitation kodak has so you have to buy their lenses it's that
    >fact that it could damge the camera due to weight? Alright I think I
    >get it now.
    >
    >However, can I bring your attention to this:
    >http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1011&message=17117633
    >
    >Would there be a problem there? Although I think I'd rather stick with
    >55mm, there seems to be more for that size. Although I know next to
    >nothing about photography.
    >
    >Thank you all for your help thus far.

    Hi Wakke,

    I would stay with the design of the camera. A step down ring might be
    useful to allow the use of a filter or other that you might have, but
    the device noted on the page you shared is larger than that. Normally, a
    step down or up right will be similar to a filter and really only
    changes the thread size by a couple of mm. Keep in mind that the
    tolerances of digital cameras should be considered and I would bring
    along the camera to the store before you buy. This way you can check it
    out. The adapter and accessories offered were well thought out, but no
    reason you can not use a 55m filter etc. The more optics in the light
    path the more the image is changed.

    Talk to you soon, Wakke,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company
    Ron Baird, Feb 10, 2006
  12. Wakke

    KennyJr Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Ahh, so it's not so much that the lenses won't fit or physically be
    > compatible with it after i get the adapter it's more it would be too
    > hard to use because of the weight, and could damage the camera? It's
    > not some limitation kodak has so you have to buy their lenses it's that
    > fact that it could damge the camera due to weight? Alright I think I
    > get it now.
    >
    > However, can I bring your attention to this:
    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1011&message=17117633
    >
    > Would there be a problem there? Although I think I'd rather stick with
    > 55mm, there seems to be more for that size. Although I know next to
    > nothing about photography.
    >
    > Thank you all for your help thus far.

    I don't know about that lens. With the step down ring I would think that
    vignetting would be a problem. I would consider either the Kodak or
    Olympus TCON lens. The Canon lens may or may not work, I haven't seen
    any examples using that particular setup. There are many examples of the
    Kodak and Oly TCON lens and the results are quite sharp. You can get
    away with buying cheaper filters most of the time, but I wouldn't advise
    buying a cheap teleconverter. As I noted before I bought a cheap TCON
    and was not pleased at all with the results.

    As for filters you might want to take a look at the Cokin "A" series
    filters. They are a little more expensive, but very versital. While most
    filters can be dupelicated in software there are many that are very
    useful such as the polarizing filter and the various nuetral density
    filters. If you plan on doing any landscape photography a graduated
    nuetral density filter comes in very handy.

    KennyJr, Feb 11, 2006