    it's going to have Wi-Fi!

    (the full press release is on my site if you are interested
    www.camera-news.com)

    Rick, Sep 2, 2005

  2. Rick

    wavelength Guest

    What is the point?

    On a D2x constantly tranferringfiles off w/o changing the setup maybe,
    but on P&S cameras what's the point?

    wavelength, Sep 2, 2005

  3. On 1 Sep 2005 19:51:05 -0700, wavelength <> wrote:
    > What is the point?
    >
    > On a D2x constantly tranferringfiles off w/o changing the setup maybe,
    > but on P&S cameras what's the point?

    Lets people upload and share-on-web photos with nothing but their camera
    and a coffee-shop hotspot. I can see how that could be a P&S selling
    point; if nothing else, it makes a great bullet point to put on the
    packaging.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Sep 2, 2005
  4. Rick

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Rick wrote:
    > I have to give this one to Nikon, who earlier today announced the first
    > Wi-Fi capable consumer digital cameras. Still, it looks like Wi-Fi is
    > coming into mainstream digicams this season. I have yet to see how they
    > actually link up to access points. It looks like they support 64- and
    > 128-bit WEP security, but 802.1x support and WPA will be added later in
    > a firmware update. Anyway, on to Kodak's big news today-
    >
    > Eastman Kodak Company announced today that its innovative EASYSHARE-ONE
    > zoom digital camera would be available for purchase this October, and
    > it's going to have Wi-Fi!
    >
    > (the full press release is on my site if you are interested
    > www.camera-news.com)

    That information was available early this summer, but the camera didn't
    make its projected release date. Wi-Fi would be a real convenience.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Sep 2, 2005
  5. Rick

    Ron Hunter Guest

    wavelength wrote:
    > What is the point?
    >
    > On a D2x constantly tranferringfiles off w/o changing the setup maybe,
    > but on P&S cameras what's the point?

    Well, in my case, the hassle of bringing the camera to the computer, and
    connecting it to the dock, or removing the SD card is completely eliminated.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Sep 2, 2005
  6. "Rick" <> wrote in message
    >I have to give this one to Nikon, who earlier today announced the first
    > Wi-Fi capable consumer digital cameras. Still, it looks like Wi-Fi is
    > coming into mainstream digicams this season. I have yet to see how they
    > actually link up to access points. It looks like they support 64- and
    > 128-bit WEP security, but 802.1x support and WPA will be added later in
    > a firmware update. Anyway, on to Kodak's big news today-
    >
    > Eastman Kodak Company announced today that its innovative EASYSHARE-ONE
    > zoom digital camera would be available for purchase this October, and
    > it's going to have Wi-Fi!
    >
    > (the full press release is on my site if you are interested
    > www.camera-news.com)

    Can you now ftp and/or email directly from the camera without some special
    client software on the other end?

    Dave R knows who, Sep 2, 2005
  7. Rick

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Dave R knows who wrote:
    > "Rick" <> wrote in message
    >> I have to give this one to Nikon, who earlier today announced the first
    >> Wi-Fi capable consumer digital cameras. Still, it looks like Wi-Fi is
    >> coming into mainstream digicams this season. I have yet to see how they
    >> actually link up to access points. It looks like they support 64- and
    >> 128-bit WEP security, but 802.1x support and WPA will be added later in
    >> a firmware update. Anyway, on to Kodak's big news today-
    >>
    >> Eastman Kodak Company announced today that its innovative EASYSHARE-ONE
    >> zoom digital camera would be available for purchase this October, and
    >> it's going to have Wi-Fi!
    >>
    >> (the full press release is on my site if you are interested
    >> www.camera-news.com)

    > Can you now ftp and/or email directly from the camera without some special
    > client software on the other end?

    Email for sure. Don't know about FTP.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Sep 3, 2005
  8. Rick

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings,

    I have not been around for a while due to vacations and business.

    I did get a couple of hours use with the new EasyShare One camera. It
    is a full WiFi camera and it can be used to transfer images up to the
    net, i.e. EasyShare Gallery or other, print directly to printers that
    are WiFi enabled, Email to those people you have in the cameras address
    book, and more. Very impressive and a lot of fun.

    Yes, I read the NY Times article too, however, other cameras only
    communicate with the PC for downloading. No email, printing, etc. It is
    only the beginning, there is a lot more to come, so hang on to your
    seats the ride is just starting.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company