    SMS Guest

    First eat at McDonald's, the official restaurant, then take some photos
    that match the quality of the food, with the official camera.
    SMS, Aug 9, 2008

  2. SMS

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 23:41:00 -0400, "Richard" <>
    wrote:

    >It's ok. The commie Chinese aren't letting anyone use a "pro" camera like a
    >DSLR in any of the events so you are left with P&S crap.

    Not "anyone". Just the general public. In tonight's coverage of the
    swimming events, the camera panned to the press photographers'
    section...a mass of long lenses on dslr or slrs.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Aug 10, 2008

  3. SMS

    BlackShadow Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > It's ok. The commie Chinese aren't letting anyone use a "pro" camera like a
    > DSLR in any of the events so you are left with P&S crap.
    >
    > "SMS" <> wrote in message
    >> First eat at McDonald's, the official restaurant, then take some photos
    >> that match the quality of the food, with the official camera.

    That is nonsense. There are hundreds of Pro cameras with long lenses in
    many of the crowd and background shots - all in obvious photographer's
    areas. The Chinese wanted to host the Olympics for the publicity. If they
    banned all Pro photographers they'd be shooting themselves in the foot, and
    although the Chinese may be many things, they are not stupid.

    They are under a declared major terrorist threat. A long lens can conceal
    all manner of explosives or weapons. They don't want them in the crowds. It
    is the foremost reason.

    Wake up to yourself and stop with the ill-considered, thoughtless
    xenophobic crap.

    BlackShadow
    BlackShadow, Aug 10, 2008
  4. tony cooper wrote:

    > On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 23:41:00 -0400, "Richard" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>It's ok. The commie Chinese aren't letting anyone use a "pro" camera like a
    >>DSLR in any of the events so you are left with P&S crap.
    >>

    > Not "anyone". Just the general public. In tonight's coverage of the
    > swimming events, the camera panned to the press photographers'
    > section...a mass of long lenses on dslr or slrs.

    Were they all off-white, like in the Canon ads?

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 10, 2008
  5. SMS

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 23:01:41 -0700, Blinky the Shark
    <> wrote:

    >tony cooper wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 23:41:00 -0400, "Richard" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>It's ok. The commie Chinese aren't letting anyone use a "pro" camera like a
    >>>DSLR in any of the events so you are left with P&S crap.
    >>>

    >> Not "anyone". Just the general public. In tonight's coverage of the
    >> swimming events, the camera panned to the press photographers'
    >> section...a mass of long lenses on dslr or slrs.

    >Were they all off-white, like in the Canon ads?

    No, and I did make special note of that. About half-and-half white
    and black.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Aug 10, 2008
  6. tony cooper wrote:

    > On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 23:01:41 -0700, Blinky the Shark
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>tony cooper wrote:

    >>> Not "anyone". Just the general public. In tonight's coverage of the
    >>> swimming events, the camera panned to the press photographers'
    >>> section...a mass of long lenses on dslr or slrs.

    >>Were they all off-white, like in the Canon ads?

    > No, and I did make special note of that. About half-and-half white
    > and black.

    So they were shooting color with b/w lenses. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 10, 2008
  7. SMS

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 13:33:58 -0700, John McWilliams
    <> wrote:

    >Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> tony cooper wrote:

    >>> No, and I did make special note of that. About half-and-half white
    >>> and black.

    >> So they were shooting color with b/w lenses. :)

    >Hmmmm. Half and half, huh? Do you have freeze frame or slo mo on an HD
    >TV, by chance, tony? Can you Tivo it?

    How do I Tivo what has already been shown?

    >It would help with the actual count.

    Help who? Why? Who really cares?

    >It was at least 4:1 LWLs in the shots I saw. Can't remember the
    >venue, my bad. It may have been swimming.

    My figure was a guess based on viewing a few seconds of the scene.
    All I really noticed was a seemingly fairly even balance between white
    and black lenses. It could have 55/45 for all I know, though.

    The issue is rather pointless, though. These were professional
    photographers who purchased the lenses that they thought would be best
    for them. Any petty little brand war in this group is immaterial.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Aug 10, 2008
  8. tony cooper wrote:

    > On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 13:33:58 -0700, John McWilliams
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> So they were shooting color with b/w lenses. :)

    >>Hmmmm. Half and half, huh? Do you have freeze frame or slo mo on an HD
    >>TV, by chance, tony? Can you Tivo it?

    > How do I Tivo what has already been shown?
    >
    >>It would help with the actual count.

    > Help who? Why? Who really cares?
    >
    >>It was at least 4:1 LWLs in the shots I saw. Can't remember the
    >>venue, my bad. It may have been swimming.

    > My figure was a guess based on viewing a few seconds of the scene.
    > All I really noticed was a seemingly fairly even balance between white
    > and black lenses. It could have 55/45 for all I know, though.
    >
    > The issue is rather pointless, though. These were professional
    > photographers who purchased the lenses that they thought would be best
    > for them. Any petty little brand war in this group is immaterial.

    Please note that I didn't intend to be a party to one when I inserted a
    little humor about lens color. I know that Canon ads don't equal real
    life on the sidelines.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 10, 2008