Kodak Easyshare - lost pictures, Ideas?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by pattyjamas@hotmail.com, Feb 2, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Helping a friend with their PC and Kodak Easyshare.

    He found a few pictures in an album (where Kodak Easyshare software
    displayed a thumbnail of the pics) he wanted to save to CD. However
    when he clicked on them he received an error message stating the file
    was not found. The location specified was a zip file located somewhere
    in a Temp directory under Local Settings (in XP).

    Question 1
    ***His question is how they could be deleted but show the thumbnail.
    Also why it pointed to a temp directory under Local Settings, Temp
    directory??

    My Thinking:
    I was thinking that somehow he deleted them. I also said to him that
    Kodak Easyshare must keep a database of pictures (thumbnails) where you
    can right click on the properties and get the file name and size of the
    picture----BUT----that does not mean the file is still there.

    Thoughts/Comments?

    _________

    Question 2
    Also, one thing I wondered is that while you can create an ALBUM name
    in Kodak Easyshare, it does not seem to use that name in the XP File
    system. I at least could not find it in a search or Explore of
    directories.

    Is this right?

    Thanks so much
    Patty

    , Feb 2, 2005

  2. I've never used the easy share program before, but if he has run any disk
    utilities lately, bets are that what ever was in that
    c:\docsandsettings\localsetting\applicationdata\microsoft\tmep or whatever
    the path was, is now history.

    your train of thought on the thumbs makes sense to me though.

    JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk, Feb 2, 2005

  3. Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > Helping a friend with their PC and Kodak Easyshare.
    >
    > He found a few pictures in an album (where Kodak Easyshare software
    > displayed a thumbnail of the pics) he wanted to save to CD. However
    > when he clicked on them he received an error message stating the file
    > was not found. The location specified was a zip file located somewhere
    > in a Temp directory under Local Settings (in XP).
    >
    > Question 1
    > ***His question is how they could be deleted but show the thumbnail.
    > Also why it pointed to a temp directory under Local Settings, Temp
    > directory??
    >
    > My Thinking:
    > I was thinking that somehow he deleted them. I also said to him that
    > Kodak Easyshare must keep a database of pictures (thumbnails) where you
    > can right click on the properties and get the file name and size of the
    > picture----BUT----that does not mean the file is still there.
    >
    > Thoughts/Comments?

    That is correct.

    > _________
    >
    > Question 2
    > Also, one thing I wondered is that while you can create an ALBUM name
    > in Kodak Easyshare, it does not seem to use that name in the XP File
    > system. I at least could not find it in a search or Explore of
    > directories.
    >
    > Is this right?

    Very likely. This is a catalog, not a folder, even though it may appear
    that way in use.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 2, 2005
  4. R Barr Guest

    Jot down the filename of one of the thumbnailed images, and do an
    Explorer search for that filename. If the folder that held the files
    has been moved or renamed, you'll get those stupid error messages. It
    doesn't necessarily mean that the actual image file (s) has been deleted.

    I've pretty much given up on Easyshare software for everything except
    the actual transfer of the image files from the camera.

    R Barr, Feb 2, 2005
  5. Guest

    Thanks all.
    Yes I did do a search for the picture filename and it was gone. Makes
    no sense why Easyshare would store any pics in a temp directory.
    Thanks again
    Patty

    , Feb 3, 2005
  6. Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Patty,

    Sorry I did not see this till today.

    It appears you are using a Picture CD or a CD with pictures. You are also
    experiencing the following condition; EASYSHARE Software looking in the hard
    drive location that your pictures were located when you added them to your
    EASYSHARE Software collection, and not being able to find them. Rather, your
    pictures have been moved from their original default location, or have been
    renamed or deleted.

    Since EASYSHARE Software is a cataloging program, it needs to know the
    location of the picture files on your hard drive in order to display them.
    You should not delete these images directly from your hard drive but instead
    delete them using the EASYSHARE Software.

    To restore your pictures, you need to remove the thumbnail pictures that
    display black screens in your collection when selected for viewing, then
    adding returning the pictures back into your collection. You can do this by
    selecting the EASYSHARE Software Add Pictures icon and navigating to the new
    locations of your pictures, then adding them back into your collection.

    To remove the thumbnail picture(s):
    Right click on the thumbnail picture and select remove from collection. This
    will remove the thumbnail picture only. To remove more than one picture,
    select all pictures at one time using the 'Select All' icon from the top
    tool bar, then go to File / Delete from the main menu bar. This will delete
    all thumbnails selected.

    To restore deleted picture(s):
    Place the CD or Kodak Picture CD with the images you wish to restore into
    the CDROM drive. Allow the software to re-transfer the images to you
    collection.

    To restore renamed or relocated pictures:
    Select the Add Pictures icon in the EASYSHARE Software, navigate to and
    select the directory location where your pictures are located and add the
    pictures back into your collection. If the pictures have been renamed or
    relocated to a CD, set the CD into the CD Rom drive and the software will
    offer to automatically re-transfer the images to your collection. Be sure
    to have the CD of the Kodak Picture CD in the CD drive.

    As to the album names, the reason they are different is that the names work
    only in EASYSHARE Software. Kodak does not change the name of the images
    etc. but only works within itself (as a cataloging program) to give you this
    special feature.

    Let me know if this works for you. If not I will follow through and get your
    software working correctly.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Feb 4, 2005
  7. Guest

    Thanks. Unfortuantely the programs are gone for good. They were taken
    off the memory card some time ago. My dumb mistake for deleting them.

    Thanks
    Patty

    , Feb 8, 2005