Kodak Easyshare Dock 6000

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rene, Dec 11, 2003.

  1. Rene

    Rene Guest

    I recently purchase a kodak easyshare dock 6000 and a CX 6330 digital
    camera. My question is: Is it OK to leave my camera sitting on the
    dock with the Kodak NiMH battery pack in there for days or weeks
    between the times I use it or should I take it off the dock after the
    3 hr charge is over? Also, if I DO leave it on the charger for days or
    weeks, will the batteries maintain a full charge during that time, or
    does something else need to be done (such as removing the camera for 5
    min then placing it back on the charger to renew the charge).

    There is conflicting info on the kodak web site. One of the Q/A's in
    the faq for the CX 6330 says:

    Question:

    When the camera is not in use, and the battery is fully charged, can I
    leave the camera in the dock with the camera off?

    Answer: Answer last updated:11-26-03

    The camera dock automatically stops charging the batteries after it
    registers a full charge so it's okay to leave the camera on the dock
    for short periods. However, leaving it on the dock for longer periods
    (days or weeks) is not recommended because this can cause problems
    with your camera as well as with the batteries.
    Note: Unplug the AC adapter from the dock if you plan to leave the
    camera on the dock for any length of time.

    On the seemingly opposite end of the spectrum, the 'Easyshare batter
    application' section of the CX 6330 support page says the opposite,
    that for 'family events' (use camera 8 - 10 times a year) you should:

    "If you do decide to use the optional EasyShare Camera Dock with the
    NiMH battery pack, storing the camera on the dock when not in use is
    the best way to keep the pack fresh and ready to go."

    Please remember that I'm asking about the easyshare 6000 dock, not an
    older dock.
    Thanks
    Rene
    Rene, Dec 11, 2003

  2. Rene

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Rene wrote:
    > I recently purchase a kodak easyshare dock 6000 and a CX 6330 digital
    > camera. My question is: Is it OK to leave my camera sitting on the
    > dock with the Kodak NiMH battery pack in there for days or weeks
    > between the times I use it or should I take it off the dock after the
    > 3 hr charge is over? Also, if I DO leave it on the charger for days or
    > weeks, will the batteries maintain a full charge during that time, or
    > does something else need to be done (such as removing the camera for 5
    > min then placing it back on the charger to renew the charge).
    >
    > There is conflicting info on the kodak web site. One of the Q/A's in
    > the faq for the CX 6330 says:
    >
    > Question:
    >
    > When the camera is not in use, and the battery is fully charged, can I
    > leave the camera in the dock with the camera off?
    >
    > Answer: Answer last updated:11-26-03
    >
    > The camera dock automatically stops charging the batteries after it
    > registers a full charge so it's okay to leave the camera on the dock
    > for short periods. However, leaving it on the dock for longer periods
    > (days or weeks) is not recommended because this can cause problems
    > with your camera as well as with the batteries.
    > Note: Unplug the AC adapter from the dock if you plan to leave the
    > camera on the dock for any length of time.
    >
    > On the seemingly opposite end of the spectrum, the 'Easyshare batter
    > application' section of the CX 6330 support page says the opposite,
    > that for 'family events' (use camera 8 - 10 times a year) you should:
    >
    > "If you do decide to use the optional EasyShare Camera Dock with the
    > NiMH battery pack, storing the camera on the dock when not in use is
    > the best way to keep the pack fresh and ready to go."
    >
    > Please remember that I'm asking about the easyshare 6000 dock, not an
    > older dock.
    > Thanks
    > Rene

    Will have to let Ron Baird of Kodak field this one. My understanding is
    that the dock will monitor the battery condition and keep the batteries
    'topped off', but maybe he can clarify the instructions. I am pretty
    sure that leaving the camera on the dock with the AC adapter not plugged
    in is NOT a good idea.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 11, 2003

  3. Rene

    Harvey Guest

    Definitely do not leave the camera continuously on the charger. The
    batteries are chemical in nature and even the heat from a small maintenance
    charging current will eventually wear them out. The other, even more
    serious danger, is that a transient from a lightning strike or other power
    line upset will get through the charger and damage the camera. The longer
    it sits on the dock, the greater the chance. If you wish you can keep the
    batteries fresh by putting the camera on the dock for several hours each
    month or just before you are ready to go. If you elect to leave it
    continuously on the charger the batteries will be kept at full charge. You
    will not need to remove the camera and replace it as you have stated. If
    you intend to go months without using the camera, take the battery out to
    avoid the possibility of chemical leakage of a bad battery pack.

    Harvey, Dec 12, 2003
  4. Rene

    Rene Guest

    Thanks all for the info. It helps!

    Here's what I think I've figured out regarding the easyshare dock 6000
    so far. See below for some of the answers I received regarding the
    dock's charging abilities from Kodak customer support. Based on these
    answers, it looks like the dock will sense the charge needed from the
    Kodak battery pack when the camera is docked and will start charging
    if necessary. The charger will stop charging once it reads that the
    kodak battery pack is full. No trickle charge is provided to
    continuously 'top off' the pack. Also, it appears that, once the
    charge is done, that's it, the charger turns off and nothing more is
    done, the batteries will slowly discharge with time. You have to
    remove the camera (and at the least, maybe use it or leave it off for
    a few minutes? - not sure) and reseat it so that the sensor in the
    dock charger once again checks the battery and starts charging it
    again, if necessary. I think this is why Ron says to take a picture or
    2 once a week if you're not using the camera much to maintain a full
    charge. It's my understanding that NiMH batteries at room temperature
    generally lose about 10-15% of their charge in a week of sitting
    around. I think that's why Ron Baird says to use it and reseat it on
    the charger so it will charge that 10-15% back to full again.

    Feel free to comment!

    Rene

    Replies from Kodak Customer Support:

    Answer #1

    "Thank you for your recent visit to the Kodak web site and question
    about
    leaving the KODAK EASYSHARE CX6330 zoom digital camera on the Kodak
    Easyshare Camera Dock 6000.

    In the case of the Dock 6000, the third green light turning on
    indicates
    the end of the charging cycle. Once the charging cycle has ended, it
    will not go back into the regular charging cycle until the camera has
    been removed and replaced on the dock. Generally, all you would need
    do, is take a picture once a week or so to ensure that the camera is
    always at full strength.

    There is a separate issue that I would like to mention. The camera
    can
    also use 'non-rechargable' batteries (lithium CRV3 or 2 AA Lithium),
    as
    well as AA Ni-MH rechargeable batteries. The dock will not charge
    non-rechargeable batteries nor individual rechargeable AA batteries.
    Rather the dock will only work with KAA2HR battery. Also, as a
    general
    rule, it is wise to remove these other types of batteries if the
    camera
    will be sitting idle for a long time. The reason being that
    discharged
    batteries may leak, causing damage to the device in which they are
    used.
    This is a risk with batteries in general, no matter what device is
    being
    used."

    Answer #2
    "Thank you for your recent visit to the Kodak web site and question
    about
    KODAK EASYSHARE CX6330 zoom digital camera

    The battery will not trickle charge. If Camera is left for long
    periods
    on the Dock the Camera will have to be reseated for battery to charge.

    The KODAK EasyShare Camera Dock is designed so it will only charge the
    KAA2HR battery pack. This is to prevent inadvertently charging the
    wrong types of batteries, which could cause a problem."
    Rene, Dec 12, 2003
  5. Rene

    Harvey Guest

    Good answers. Here is a link to a battery faq which says the NiMH battery
    self-discharges at 1% per day.
    http://www.alltekpower.com/faq/index.asp?a=4&q=17

    Harvey, Dec 13, 2003
  6. Rene

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Harvey wrote:

> [...]
    >>discharged
    >>batteries may leak, causing damage to the device in which they are
    >>used.
    >>This is a risk with batteries in general, no matter what device is
    >>being
    >>used."
    >>
    >>Answer #2
    >>"Thank you for your recent visit to the Kodak web site and question
    >>about
    >>KODAK EASYSHARE CX6330 zoom digital camera
    >>
    >>The battery will not trickle charge. If Camera is left for long
    >>periods
    >>on the Dock the Camera will have to be reseated for battery to charge.
    >>
    >>The KODAK EasyShare Camera Dock is designed so it will only charge the
    >>KAA2HR battery pack. This is to prevent inadvertently charging the
    >>wrong types of batteries, which could cause a problem."

    Note that this is a ballpark figure. Some batteries may discharge
    faster, if there is some minimal drain, say to power a clock chip, or if
    the temperature is too high. Also, one can't figure that if they lose
    1% per day, in 100 days they will be completely discharged as the loss
    is a percentage of the charge level for that day, not the starting
    charge. Simple rule is to recharge at least once a month, or before
    each planned use.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 13, 2003
  7. Rene

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Rene,

    They are both correct in different ways.

    The first bit of advice is correct if you rarely use the camera. In that
    scenario, the advice given is correct. The reason being that if the KODAK
    Digital Camera is experiences Ni-MH batteries not charging to full capacity
    after long periods of inactivity, it is likely due to the deactivation of
    reactants which may lead to increased battery voltage and decreased
    capacity, which causes premature termination of charging. Batteries are
    chemical products involving internal chemical reactions and performance
    deteriorates with prolonged storage. This is a normal condition in all
    Ni-MH batteries.

    The initial charge of the KODAK EASYSHARE Ni-MH Rechargeable Battery Pack
    should take a minimum of 2 hours after a long period of non use. If the
    Camera Dock charge cycle shows complete, indicating a full charge, in LESS
    than 2 hours, repeat the charge cycle as follows. Subsequent charges of the
    KODAK EASYSHARE Ni-MH Battery Pack will not require multiple charging cycles
    unless left uncharged for a long period of time (greater than 2 weeks).

    If you find the battery does not hold a charge the way it should:

    1. Reseat the battery in the camera, dock insert, AC power cable and camera.
    2. To begin charging, place the camera on the KODAK EASYSHARE Camera Dock.
    [refer to your camera User's Guide for details] Make a note of what time the
    charge cycle begins as this is important to the charging process.

    Note: If using a EASYSHARE Rapid Charger, place the KODAK Ni-MH Battery Pack
    in the charger. (light flashes red to indicate charging, light turns off
    when the cycle is complete)

    3. When the charging cycle indicates complete, remove the camera from the
    dock. Make a note of the amount of time it took to complete that charging
    cycle.
    4. After a minimum of 5 minutes place the camera back on the dock. The
    charging cycle will resume. Again, noting the time that charging cycle
    begins.
    5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the combined charge time, while in the charge
    cycle, equals a minimum of 2 hours.
    6. If the camera is frequently used (every day) the camera can be left on
    the dock when not in use, to ensure that battery is charged and ready at all
    times.
    7. If the camera is used infrequently (not every day) the camera should be
    left OFF the dock and placed on shortly before use. This will ensure the
    battery will keep it's integrity and strength.

    Note: The KODAK EASYSHARE Rapid Charger does not trickle charge, therefore
    the battery will need to be removed when the charge cycle is complete.

    In your case where the camera is not used very often, you might consider
    getting a CRV3 battery, that does not require recharging and will provide a
    long use. But, since you have purchased the dock consider the information
    just shared.

    I am going to seek out the reference to the charging process to make sure it
    is clear as to what should be done to maintain a good charge of the battery
    and that help in variable use scenarios is offered.

    Thanks for the chance to review, Rene, Happy Holidays.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Dec 16, 2003
  8. Rene

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Ron,

    I posted as much in my reply directly to Rene. I am also going to seek out
    any conflicting information on the web as that should not be case. We work
    hard at not letting that happen. If it does it is a style of expression or
    a varied point of view that is not clear.

    Talk to you soon, Ron, Happy Holidays,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Dec 16, 2003