Kodak EasyShare C743 Camera Video Problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jim Thomas, Dec 30, 2006.

  1. Jim Thomas

    Jim Thomas Guest

    I have a C743 camera with a problem. Here is the email I sent to Kodak
    (after they told me to buy QuickTime Pro to edit the video on my
    computer):

    "Thanks for your reply. However, I didn't intend to ask how I could
    edit the video once it was on my computer. The problem is that video
    clips taken in my house, at reduced light levels, look great on the
    camera LCD but don't download with the same brightness. There is no way
    I can tell that the light level is too low until I download to my
    computer. Since my old camera, a DX6340, took and downloaded great
    movies at the same light levels, it would seem that there is either
    something wrong with the C743 firmware or with the camera itself. And
    I can't increase the exposure on the camera, since exposure
    compensation does not work for videos.

    "If there is nothing I can do about this (except quit buying Kodak
    cameras), at least this should be noted by your experts as a deficiency
    in the design."

    Have any of you had (or know of) a similar problem?

    TIA,

    Jim Thomas

    Jim Thomas, Dec 30, 2006

  2. Jim Thomas

    John Turco Guest

    Jim Thomas wrote:

    > I have a C743 camera with a problem. Here is the email I sent to Kodak
    > (after they told me to buy QuickTime Pro to edit the video on my
    > computer):
    >
    > "Thanks for your reply. However, I didn't intend to ask how I could
    > edit the video once it was on my computer. The problem is that video
    > clips taken in my house, at reduced light levels, look great on the
    > camera LCD but don't download with the same brightness. There is no way
    > I can tell that the light level is too low until I download to my
    > computer. Since my old camera, a DX6340, took and downloaded great
    > movies at the same light levels, it would seem that there is either
    > something wrong with the C743 firmware or with the camera itself. And
    > I can't increase the exposure on the camera, since exposure
    > compensation does not work for videos.
    >
    > "If there is nothing I can do about this (except quit buying Kodak
    > cameras), at least this should be noted by your experts as a deficiency
    > in the design."
    >
    > Have any of you had (or know of) a similar problem?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Jim Thomas

    Hello, Jim:

    No, none of my video-capable Kodak digicams do that. Are you sure your
    particular unit isn't defective, perhaps?

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Dec 31, 2006

  3. Jim Thomas

    Ron Hunter Guest

    John Turco wrote:
    > Jim Thomas wrote:
    >> I have a C743 camera with a problem. Here is the email I sent to Kodak
    >> (after they told me to buy QuickTime Pro to edit the video on my
    >> computer):
    >>
    >> "Thanks for your reply. However, I didn't intend to ask how I could
    >> edit the video once it was on my computer. The problem is that video
    >> clips taken in my house, at reduced light levels, look great on the
    >> camera LCD but don't download with the same brightness. There is no way
    >> I can tell that the light level is too low until I download to my
    >> computer. Since my old camera, a DX6340, took and downloaded great
    >> movies at the same light levels, it would seem that there is either
    >> something wrong with the C743 firmware or with the camera itself. And
    >> I can't increase the exposure on the camera, since exposure
    >> compensation does not work for videos.
    >>
    >> "If there is nothing I can do about this (except quit buying Kodak
    >> cameras), at least this should be noted by your experts as a deficiency
    >> in the design."
    >>
    >> Have any of you had (or know of) a similar problem?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> Jim Thomas

    > Hello, Jim:
    >
    > No, none of my video-capable Kodak digicams do that. Are you sure your
    > particular unit isn't defective, perhaps?
    >

    > Cordially,
    > John Turco <>

    I bought a C743 for my wife, and the videos I have done look the same on
    my computer as on the camera. I would check the monitor settings, and
    the settings on your Quicktime player.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 31, 2006
  4. Jim Thomas

    Jim Thomas Guest

    On Dec 31 2006, 10:52 am, Ron Hunter <> wrote:
    > John Turco wrote:
    > > Jim Thomas wrote:
    > >> I have a C743 camera with a problem. Here is the email I sent to Kodak
    > >> (after they told me to buy QuickTime Pro to edit the video on my
    > >> computer):

    > >> "Thanks for your reply. However, I didn't intend to ask how I could
    > >> edit the video once it was on my computer. The problem is that video
    > >> clips taken in my house, at reduced light levels, look great on the
    > >> camera LCD but don't download with the same brightness. There is no way
    > >> I can tell that the light level is too low until I download to my
    > >> computer. Since my old camera, a DX6340, took and downloaded great
    > >> movies at the same light levels, it would seem that there is either
    > >> something wrong with the C743 firmware or with the camera itself. And
    > >> I can't increase the exposure on the camera, since exposure
    > >> compensation does not work for videos.

    > >> "If there is nothing I can do about this (except quit buying Kodak
    > >> cameras), at least this should be noted by your experts as a deficiency
    > >> in the design."

    > >> Have any of you had (or know of) a similar problem?

    > >> TIA,

    > >> Jim Thomas

    > > Hello, Jim:

    > > No, none of my video-capable Kodak digicams do that. Are you sure your
    > > particular unit isn't defective, perhaps?

    > > Cordially,
    > > John Turco <>I bought a C743 for my wife, and the videos I have done look the same on

    > my computer as on the camera. I would check the monitor settings, and
    > the settings on your Quicktime player.

    John & Ron:

    Thanks for your suggestions. None of them have helped. I'm thinking now
    that the difference between what I see on the camera LCD and the
    computer download may be a function of the particular light conditions
    of the problem video clip. I took some clips in somewhat greater light,
    and they turned out fine. I think that the greatest problem is that, in
    the video mode, there is no warning of low light conditions (as there
    is in still picture modes). To me, that's a design deficiency, since
    you can't go by what you see on the LCD.

    Jim Thomas

    Jim Thomas, Jan 2, 2007