Kodak Easyshare and Data Execution Prevention

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Matt, Jan 28, 2006.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Around the time of the WMF scare, I turned my Windows XP SP2 DEP level
    up to maximum - and with an Intel P4 640, this is hardware DEP, the
    only type reckoned to have been of ant use against the exploit.

    Quite surprised, when as well as "the usual suspects", a few old
    programs known to require DEP exceptions, Kodak Easyshare (ver
    5.2.0.0) caused a DEP error on the next boot.

    Queried it on Kodak support, and eventually got a callback ... from
    someone who was completely off track on just what DEP actually does,
    convinced it was part of Windows Firewall.

    Has anyone else turned DEP to "full" (all programs other than those
    specified) and had to make an exception for Easyshare ?

    What DEP is:

    It halts a program if it attempts to execute code located in a
    non-code segment - particularly intended to trap buffer overflows and
    other ways in which code may be incorrectly run.

    It should not happen in normal programs, as the normal method of
    compiling and linking should mark executable program segments
    appropriately, though some ways of self modifying or creating code
    will upset it - techniques which break rules that were previously not
    enforced, but in the most part were followed as "good practice".

    --
    I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
    http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles

    If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!

    Matt, Jan 28, 2006

  2. Matt

    Ron Baird Guest

    Matt wrote:

    >Around the time of the WMF scare, I turned my Windows XP SP2 DEP level
    >up to maximum - and with an Intel P4 640, this is hardware DEP, the
    >only type reckoned to have been of ant use against the exploit.
    >
    >Quite surprised, when as well as "the usual suspects", a few old
    >programs known to require DEP exceptions, Kodak Easyshare (ver
    >5.2.0.0) caused a DEP error on the next boot.
    >
    >Queried it on Kodak support, and eventually got a callback ... from
    >someone who was completely off track on just what DEP actually does,
    >convinced it was part of Windows Firewall.
    >

    >Has anyone else turned DEP to "full" (all programs other than those
    >specified) and had to make an exception for Easyshare ?
    >

    >What DEP is:
    >
    >It halts a program if it attempts to execute code located in a
    >non-code segment - particularly intended to trap buffer overflows and
    >other ways in which code may be incorrectly run.
    >
    >It should not happen in normal programs, as the normal method of
    >compiling and linking should mark executable program segments
    >appropriately, though some ways of self modifying or creating code
    >will upset it - techniques which break rules that were previously not
    >enforced, but in the most part were followed as "good practice".

    Hi Matt,

    Sorry to learn of your experience with EasyShare.

    I wonder if the DEP you are using is not confusing the Kodak Updater as
    something it isn't The Updater is a tool goes out every three weeks to
    find any new updates to the EasyShare software. If it finds such a
    program it will download it in the background and later install it after
    an alert is sent to you. Is it possible that this is what is causing
    your concern?

    As you know, setting your security it maximum strength turns off cookies
    in many cases. Many web sites, including the Kodak site, set a cookie to
    your system when you join kodak.com to know when you return. The Kodak
    software also connects you directly to the Kodak EasyShare Gallery in
    the latest version. I wonder if this may be causing you some trouble as
    well considering the settings you are using in your browser. If you turn
    off or disable cookies, the system will not know you and this may also
    cause some confusion.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Jan 30, 2006

  3. Matt

    Matt Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:21:23 -0500, Ron Baird <>
    wrote:

    >Matt wrote:
    >
    >>Around the time of the WMF scare, I turned my Windows XP SP2 DEP level
    >>up to maximum - and with an Intel P4 640, this is hardware DEP, the
    >>only type reckoned to have been of ant use against the exploit.
    >>
    >>Quite surprised, when as well as "the usual suspects", a few old
    >>programs known to require DEP exceptions, Kodak Easyshare (ver
    >>5.2.0.0) caused a DEP error on the next boot.
    >>
    >>Queried it on Kodak support, and eventually got a callback ... from
    >>someone who was completely off track on just what DEP actually does,
    >>convinced it was part of Windows Firewall.
    >>
    >>Has anyone else turned DEP to "full" (all programs other than those
    >>specified) and had to make an exception for Easyshare ?
    >>

    >Hi Matt,
    >
    >Sorry to learn of your experience with EasyShare.
    >
    >I wonder if the DEP you are using is not confusing the Kodak Updater as
    >something it isn't The Updater is a tool goes out every three weeks to
    >find any new updates to the EasyShare software. If it finds such a
    >program it will download it in the background and later install it after
    >an alert is sent to you. Is it possible that this is what is causing
    >your concern?

    Maybe I'm not expressing myself clearly enough, it's nothing firewall
    related...

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Execution_Prevention

    In this case, my CPU is a Pentium 4 model 640, which does support the
    NX (No eXecute) bit for hardware DEP.

    A few old programs also tripped DEP alerts, as did Cyberlink
    Powercinema (something of a surprise), but even more of a surprise
    when an up to date version (5.2.0.0) of Easyshare triggered an alert -
    usually symptomatic of old and/or badly written programs.

    Matt, Jan 30, 2006