    Hopefully in the near future I will be asking REAL photography questions. I bought my camera on e-Bay and it is my FIRST camera with a serious zoom. I realize that the DX 6490 has it's (artistic?) limitaitons, but I am very pleased so far with the photos I have taken and am looking forward to experimenting further. The camera came with macro lenses and lens attachment thingy. ANYWAY ... back to the subject matter ... HELP with what to do to take max # of photos (I come up with endless ideas and don't want to miss opportunities). On 'good' picture quality I am able to take 40 pics! So, for now I stick with that for quantity ... quality will come later.

    Is that a good tactic to take? Thank you all for your wonderful assistance and friendly advice.

    Sadie

    Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com, Dec 14, 2004

  2. Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Re: Kodak EasyShare 4.0.2 vs. 3.2 Software - Feedback Wanted - DX6490 Digital Cam

    Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com wrote:
    > Need Advice
    >
    > Traveling to Chicago this weekend (for four days) to visit my daughter. Taking Kodak DX6490. I had an extremely bad experience with version 3.2 ES. It took over my Internet connection, my ownership of my photos, and my CD Burner. I finally resolved all of those issues (phew ! '>*_*<') and despise feeling paranoid / limited over the amount of photos I take over my four-day visit. I could bring the 4.0.2 software along and load just the drivers and save to daughter's computer (but ... it is really her roomate's computer and I don't want to cause said roomate any iota of the pain I have experienced).
    >
    > Suggestions, Please ... Trust the 4.0.2 version and download it? My gut feeling is that I should purchase some extra memory cards. Any and all advise appreciated, photog gurus.
    >
    > Hopefully in the near future I will be asking REAL photography questions. I bought my camera on e-Bay and it is my FIRST camera with a serious zoom. I realize that the DX 6490 has it's (artistic?) limitaitons, but I am very pleased so far with the photos I have taken and am looking forward to experimenting further. The camera came with macro lenses and lens attachment thingy. ANYWAY ... back to the subject matter ... HELP with what to do to take max # of photos (I come up with endless ideas and don't want to miss opportunities). On 'good' picture quality I am able to take 40 pics! So, for now I stick with that for quantity ... quality will come later.
    >
    > Is that a good tactic to take? Thank you all for your wonderful assistance and friendly advice.
    >
    > Sadie

    First, one should always strive for quality. Just a few extra seconds
    of thought can make a better picture, but much experience, and some
    study, is needed so that you will know what to do, and what not to do.
    Many of the pictures I take are for documentation only. That is, I
    don't have time, or opportunity, to compose a shot, or pose people, and
    I just take the picture to aid in remembering the occassion, or to share
    it with those who weren't present. These aren't great pictures, nor are
    they art, in any sense, but they ARE of use to those who want to see how
    much a grandchild has grown, or to see a new baby.

    As for dealing with putting pictures on someone else's computer, I
    STRONGLY recommend getting a card reader and just using the computer's
    OS to do the transfers. It is easy, quick, and leaves nothing on the
    user's computer but the picture data. If the computer doesn't have
    WinXP or one of the newer Mac OS's, then a driver disk may be required,
    but these seldom cause trouble, and can be uninstalled after you are done.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Dec 14, 2004

  3. Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com

    Larry Guest

    In article <sZzvd.997$6%>, says...
    > Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com wrote:
    > > Need Advice
    > >
    > > Traveling to Chicago this weekend (for four days) to visit my daughter. Taking Kodak DX6490. I had an extremely bad experience with version 3.2 ES. It took over my Internet connection, my ownership of my photos, and my CD Burner. I finally resolved all of those issues (phew ! '>*_*<') and despise feeling paranoid / limited over the amount of photos I take over my four-day visit. I could bring the 4.0.2 software along and load just the drivers and save to

    daughter's computer (but ... it is really her roomate's computer and I don't want to cause said roomate any iota of the pain I have experienced).

    > > Suggestions, Please ... Trust the 4.0.2 version and download it? My gut feeling is that I should purchase some extra memory cards. Any and all advise appreciated, photog gurus.
    > >
    > > Hopefully in the near future I will be asking REAL photography questions. I bought my camera on e-Bay and it is my FIRST camera with a serious zoom. I realize that the DX 6490 has it's (artistic?) limitaitons, but I am very pleased so far with the photos I have taken and am looking forward to experimenting further. The camera came with macro lenses and lens attachment thingy. ANYWAY ... back to the subject matter ... HELP with what to do to take max # of photos (I

    come up with endless ideas and don't want to miss opportunities). On 'good' picture quality I am able to take 40 pics! So, for now I stick with that for quantity ... quality will come later.

    > > Is that a good tactic to take? Thank you all for your wonderful assistance and friendly advice.
    > >
    > > Sadie
    > >

    > First, one should always strive for quality. Just a few extra seconds
    > of thought can make a better picture, but much experience, and some
    > study, is needed so that you will know what to do, and what not to do.
    > Many of the pictures I take are for documentation only. That is, I
    > don't have time, or opportunity, to compose a shot, or pose people, and
    > I just take the picture to aid in remembering the occassion, or to share
    > it with those who weren't present. These aren't great pictures, nor are
    > they art, in any sense, but they ARE of use to those who want to see how
    > much a grandchild has grown, or to see a new baby.
    >
    > As for dealing with putting pictures on someone else's computer, I
    > STRONGLY recommend getting a card reader and just using the computer's
    > OS to do the transfers. It is easy, quick, and leaves nothing on the
    > user's computer but the picture data. If the computer doesn't have
    > WinXP or one of the newer Mac OS's, then a driver disk may be required,
    > but these seldom cause trouble, and can be uninstalled after you are done.

    I concur... Under the BEST of curcumstances the Easyshare program is a PITA
    and ties up your 'puter from time to time looking for upgrades, asking you if
    you want to sign up for photo services ect.

    I have a Kodak camera, and I like what easyshare does with the photos, but I
    keep it shut off and locked out most of the time because of its bad habits.
    It is software designed for the lowest common denominator in the IQ range of
    its users.

    I sincerley recommend you DONT install it on someone elses box, its a good
    way to screw up a relationship.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Dec 14, 2004
  4. Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com

    Jeremy Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com wrote:
    > > Need Advice
    > >
    > > Traveling to Chicago this weekend (for four days) to visit my daughter.

    Taking Kodak DX6490. I had an extremely bad experience with version 3.2 ES.
    It took over my Internet connection, my ownership of my photos, and my CD
    Burner. I finally resolved all of those issues (phew ! '>*_*<') and despise
    feeling paranoid / limited over the amount of photos I take over my four-day
    visit. I could bring the 4.0.2 software along and load just the drivers and
    save to daughter's computer (but ... it is really her roomate's computer and
    I don't want to cause said roomate any iota of the pain I have experienced).

    > > Suggestions, Please ... Trust the 4.0.2 version and download it? My gut

    feeling is that I should purchase some extra memory cards. Any and all
    advise appreciated, photog gurus.

    > > Hopefully in the near future I will be asking REAL photography

    questions. I bought my camera on e-Bay and it is my FIRST camera with a
    serious zoom. I realize that the DX 6490 has it's (artistic?) limitaitons,
    but I am very pleased so far with the photos I have taken and am looking
    forward to experimenting further. The camera came with macro lenses and
    lens attachment thingy. ANYWAY ... back to the subject matter ... HELP with
    what to do to take max # of photos (I come up with endless ideas and don't
    want to miss opportunities). On 'good' picture quality I am able to take 40
    pics! So, for now I stick with that for quantity ... quality will come
    later.

    > > Is that a good tactic to take? Thank you all for your wonderful

    assistance and friendly advice.

    > > Sadie
    > >

    > First, one should always strive for quality. Just a few extra seconds
    > of thought can make a better picture, but much experience, and some
    > study, is needed so that you will know what to do, and what not to do.
    > Many of the pictures I take are for documentation only. That is, I
    > don't have time, or opportunity, to compose a shot, or pose people, and
    > I just take the picture to aid in remembering the occassion, or to share
    > it with those who weren't present. These aren't great pictures, nor are
    > they art, in any sense, but they ARE of use to those who want to see how
    > much a grandchild has grown, or to see a new baby.
    >
    > As for dealing with putting pictures on someone else's computer, I
    > STRONGLY recommend getting a card reader and just using the computer's
    > OS to do the transfers. It is easy, quick, and leaves nothing on the
    > user's computer but the picture data. If the computer doesn't have
    > WinXP or one of the newer Mac OS's, then a driver disk may be required,
    > but these seldom cause trouble, and can be uninstalled after you are done.
    >

    > --
    > Ron Hunter

    Good advice. Kodak EasyShare has recently been the subject of malware
    reports, because it loads BackWeb software without clearly disclosing that
    fact to the user. I have deleted it from my hard drive, along with all the
    numerous Registry references to BackWeb, along with the BackWeb executable.
    I have also set my firewall to deny any requests for BackWeb to access the
    Internet, just in case it might still be on my system.

    Sorry, but the price of "free" EasyShare software is too high, if it means
    that this malware must be included.

    Jeremy, Dec 14, 2004
  5. Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com

    Jeremy Guest

    "Larry" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > > WinXP or one of the newer Mac OS's, then a driver disk may be required,
    > > but these seldom cause trouble, and can be uninstalled after you are

    done.

    > I concur... Under the BEST of curcumstances the Easyshare program is a

    PITA
    > and ties up your 'puter from time to time looking for upgrades, asking you

    if
    > you want to sign up for photo services ect.
    >
    > I have a Kodak camera, and I like what easyshare does with the photos, but

    > keep it shut off and locked out most of the time because of its bad

    habits.
    > It is software designed for the lowest common denominator in the IQ range

    of
    > its users.
    >
    > I sincerley recommend you DONT install it on someone elses box, its a good

    The popups that you experience are courtesy of BackWeb, which is loaded onto
    your computer along with EasyShare. BackWeb, on their website, states that
    their popups are "polite," meaning that they only come up after a period of
    inactivity, rather than disturb you when you are actively engaged in using
    your computer.

    I presume that makes it OK, in BackWeb's view. I am opposed to any attempt
    to seize control of my computer, or to force-feed any unwelcome and
    intrusive advertising message to me. BackWeb is just SPAM.

    Try to delete it. If you go to BackWeb's web site, they refer you back to
    the software vendor that bundled it. Try going to the Kodak website and
    finding instructions on how to delete BackWeb--please let us know if you
    find it, because if it is there at all, they have obscured it very well!

    It has completely soured my on the Kodak brand--to have been victimized like
    this--all so Kodak can make a buck.

    Jeremy, Dec 14, 2004
  6. Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com

    Jeremy wrote:
> [...]

    > your computer along with EasyShare. BackWeb, on their website, states that
    > their popups are "polite," meaning that they only come up after a period of
    > inactivity, rather than disturb you when you are actively engaged in using
    > your computer.
    >
    > I presume that makes it OK, in BackWeb's view. I am opposed to any attempt
    > to seize control of my computer, or to force-feed any unwelcome and
    > intrusive advertising message to me. BackWeb is just SPAM.
    >
    > Try to delete it. If you go to BackWeb's web site, they refer you back to
    > the software vendor that bundled it. Try going to the Kodak website and
    > finding instructions on how to delete BackWeb--please let us know if you
    > find it, because if it is there at all, they have obscured it very well!
    >
    > It has completely soured my on the Kodak brand--to have been victimized like

    Is 'victimized' the right word? In what way have you been harmed? If
    you don't want back-web to work, just deny it access with your firewall
    program.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Dec 14, 2004
  7. Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com

    Jeremy wrote:
> [...]

    >>OS to do the transfers. It is easy, quick, and leaves nothing on the
    >>user's computer but the picture data. If the computer doesn't have
    >>WinXP or one of the newer Mac OS's, then a driver disk may be required,
    >>but these seldom cause trouble, and can be uninstalled after you are done.
    >>

    >>--
    >>Ron Hunter

    > Good advice. Kodak EasyShare has recently been the subject of malware
    > reports, because it loads BackWeb software without clearly disclosing that
    > fact to the user. I have deleted it from my hard drive, along with all the
    > numerous Registry references to BackWeb, along with the BackWeb executable.
    > I have also set my firewall to deny any requests for BackWeb to access the
    > Internet, just in case it might still be on my system.
    >
    > Sorry, but the price of "free" EasyShare software is too high, if it means

    Have you any proof that backweb has ever done you any harm? If not,
    then how can you call it 'malware'. ANY program that communicates over
    the internet can do evil things. This doesn't make it malware.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Dec 14, 2004
  8. Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
> [...]

    >> your computer.
    >>
    >> I presume that makes it OK, in BackWeb's view. I am opposed to any
    >> attempt
    >> to seize control of my computer, or to force-feed any unwelcome and
    >> intrusive advertising message to me. BackWeb is just SPAM.
    >>
    >> Try to delete it. If you go to BackWeb's web site, they refer you
    >> back to
    >> the software vendor that bundled it. Try going to the Kodak website and
    >> finding instructions on how to delete BackWeb--please let us know if you
    >> find it, because if it is there at all, they have obscured it very well!
    >>
    >> It has completely soured my on the Kodak brand--to have been
    >> victimized like
    >> this--all so Kodak can make a buck.
    >>

    > Is 'victimized' the right word? In what way have you been harmed? If
    > you don't want back-web to work, just deny it access with your firewall

    Hi Ron...

    With all due respect, if you don't like victimized, then
    how about taken advantage of?

    Those unfortunate enough to use it have been harmed by - if
    nothing else - by yet another piece of spyware running in the
    background eating up cpu cycles.

    They've done nothing more than use a work around to the
    anti-spam legislation.

    Truly sad that an old reputable good citizen company
    with such a respected name could sink so low.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Dec 14, 2004
  9. Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com

    Larry Guest

    In article <9%Dvd.1020$>, says...

    > Is 'victimized' the right word? In what way have you been harmed? If
    > you don't want back-web to work, just deny it access with your firewall
    > program.
    >

    > --
    > Ron Hunter

    What I do is remove the Kodak software (and by doin that, the backweb) from
    the start sequence of my 'puter.

    I dont have any complaints about what the software does WHILE IM USING IT,
    but I see no need for it to do ANYTHING during the 99.9999999% of the time my
    computer is on and Im not doing anything re Kodak.

    I agree with you Ron, "victimized" is way to strong.. I think PITA covers it.
    Anything that causes ANY uninvited window to pop up is a PITA in my book.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Dec 14, 2004
  10. Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Jeremy,

    The Kodak Updater is an added advantage for you and not Malware. It is not
    much different in terms of backweb than the virus protection that is
    delivered to your Symantec program or updates from Microsoft. It simply
    works in the background to download any new updates offered by Kodak. It is
    used by millions of quite happy EasyShare owners. You have nothing to fear
    from the Kodak Updater feature. I will stand behind it 110%

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Dec 14, 2004
  11. Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com

    Jeremy Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message

    > Have you any proof that backweb has ever done you any harm? If not,
    > then how can you call it 'malware'. ANY program that communicates over
    > the internet can do evil things. This doesn't make it malware.

    The fact that it is surreptitiously installed as part of a bundle makes me
    suspect.

    The fact that it is virtually impossible to de-install, because instructions
    for removal are suppressed, makes me suspect.

    The fact that the BackWeb web site admits that it is an advertising popup
    application (albeit a "polite" one, as they out it) proves it!

    Some of us don't like it when outsiders meddle in out computers. There is a
    bill pending in Congress that would require FULL disclosure before anything
    like that can be downloaded, and would also require that removal
    instructions be made readily available. Violators would be fined.

    Kodak should be ashamed for bundling BackWeb into its "free" software, and
    failing to make adequate advance disclosure to users. I guess Kodak feels
    that the users of their software have no choice in what goes into their
    systems.

    Now they couldn't pay me enough to install any of their software. I really
    dislike being taken advantage of, and I vote with my pocketbook. When
    enough other consumers think the same, it has an impact.

    Jeremy, Dec 14, 2004
  12. Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com

    Ken Weitzel wrote:

> [...]
    >>> find it, because if it is there at all, they have obscured it very well!
    >>>
    >>> It has completely soured my on the Kodak brand--to have been
    >>> victimized like
    >>> this--all so Kodak can make a buck.
    >>>

    >> Is 'victimized' the right word? In what way have you been harmed? If
    >> you don't want back-web to work, just deny it access with your
    >> firewall program.

    > Hi Ron...
    >
    > With all due respect, if you don't like victimized, then
    > how about taken advantage of?
    >
    > Those unfortunate enough to use it have been harmed by - if
    > nothing else - by yet another piece of spyware running in the
    > background eating up cpu cycles.
    >
    > They've done nothing more than use a work around to the
    > anti-spam legislation.
    >
    > Truly sad that an old reputable good citizen company
    > with such a respected name could sink so low.

    Backweb CAN be used for nefarious purposes, as can ANY program that
    accesses the internet. However, it is not fair to characterize it as
    'spyware'. Many programs run in the background eating up cycles. If
    you don't want it to run, disable it. Anti-spam legislation has nothing
    to do with this type of program.
    Kodak's purpose was to make it easy to get updates. I might agree that
    the method isn't what I would recommend, but I don't think it represents
    ethical, or moral corruption.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Dec 14, 2004
  13. Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com

    Frank ess Guest

    Ron Baird wrote:
    > Greetings Jeremy,
    >
    > The Kodak Updater is an added advantage for you and not Malware. It
    > is not much different in terms of backweb than the virus protection
    > that is delivered to your Symantec program or updates from Microsoft.
    > It simply works in the background to download any new updates offered
    > by Kodak. It is used by millions of quite happy EasyShare owners. You
    > have nothing to fear from the Kodak Updater feature. I will stand
    > behind it 110%

    I understand "110%" is hyperbole, but usinig it puts a few scratches on
    your credibility.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Dec 15, 2004
  14. Hi Ron,

    Thanks for your advice and encouragement. Those extra few seconds could make a big difference! I often end up with un-centered, blurry photos.

    I did get a card reader and a memory card. Amazing how small the memory card is, and the reader is ... well, cute! I am looking forward to my trip and seeing what results I get.

    Sandy

    Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com, Dec 16, 2004
  15. Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Jeremy,

    I understand why you might be upset, Jeremy, and I am glad to offer some
    information that might help you understand.

    Kodak offers you the choice of whether or not you want to install the Kodak
    Updater during the installation.
    It is not hard to uninstall and the instructions that follow provide the
    process.
    As I understand it, Back Web is a tool that is used by many companies such
    as Microsoft, Symantec, and others to deliver updates similar to how Kodak
    is doing it.
    Kodak is not meddling in your computer in anyway. If you do not want to use
    the Update service, delete it or turn it off. No information about you or
    your system is collected.

    Truth is, Jeremy, the Kodak Updater was included and offered to you as an
    added feature, not for any other reaon. It simply offers an easy way to
    update your the program, as Kodak is always working on new and enhanced
    features of its free software.

    We welcome you to the Kodak family, Jeremy, and would not want you to have
    any other feeling other than enjoying your camera, or the features of the
    software. We have no interest in anything else you might have on your
    computer, and would never intrude on your privacy. I can't imagine any
    billion dollar company that would entertain such an idea.

    Please enjoy the program and have no fear about using the Kodak Updater
    feature, it is quite safe an unintrusive.

    Following is the removal instructions.

    To uninstall the Kodak Software Updater, follow the instructions below.

    1. Open the Control Panel.
    2. Open Add/Remove Programs.
    3. Select "Kodak EasyShare software" and choose Add/Remove (for Microsoft
    Windows 98, ME operating systems), or Change/Remove (for Microsoft Windows
    2000, XP operating systems). The KODAK EASYSHARE Software Setup Wizard will
    begin installation.
    4. Click Next and continue until a window is displayed with choices for
    Modify, Repair, or Remove.
    5. Select Modify and click Next.
    6. When the window showing the different components to modify is displayed,
    click the drop-down next to the Kodak Software Updater and choose Remove.
    7. Click Next and follow the rest of the installation.
    8. Restart the computer when finished.

    To turn off the Kodak Software Updater, follow the instructions below.

    1. Navigate to the Kodak Software Updater setup window

    Start/Programs/Kodak/KodakSoftwareUpdater/KodakSoftwareUpdatersetup

    2. Select the No radio button to disable the Kodak Updater Service.

    Talk to you soon, and happy holidays.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Dec 17, 2004
  16. Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com

    Ron Baird Guest

    Good luck Sadie,

    Enjoy your trip and holiday season. Great time for pictures. Let me know
    if you think I can help you.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Dec 17, 2004
  17. "Jeremy" <> wrote in message

    > The popups that you experience are courtesy of BackWeb, which is loaded
    > onto
    > your computer along with EasyShare. BackWeb, on their website, states
    > that
    > their popups are "polite," meaning that they only come up after a period
    > of
    > inactivity, rather than disturb you when you are actively engaged in using
    > your computer.
    >
    > I presume that makes it OK, in BackWeb's view. I am opposed to any
    > attempt
    > to seize control of my computer, or to force-feed any unwelcome and
    > intrusive advertising message to me. BackWeb is just SPAM.
    >
    > Try to delete it. If you go to BackWeb's web site, they refer you back to
    > the software vendor that bundled it. Try going to the Kodak website and
    > finding instructions on how to delete BackWeb--please let us know if you
    > find it, because if it is there at all, they have obscured it very well!
    >
    > It has completely soured my on the Kodak brand--to have been victimized
    > like
    > this--all so Kodak can make a buck.

    how many times do I have to say this: Backweb is a tool, nothing more. The
    vendor who uses it, Kodak, uses it in a very benign and polite way. The
    ONLY time that you will see a popup if you are an EasyShare user is when an
    upgrade is available for you. We even restrict that notice to display ONLY
    when you are shutting down EasyShare software.

    Backweb is used for nothing else other than delivering updates to software.
    Older versions of software don't get the updates automatically delivered but
    refer to the web download. Newer versions get the upgrades delivered as
    incremental updates and they are on your system ready to be installed when
    the notice comes.

    Oh, if youw ant to turn it off: go to EasyShare preferences and remove the
    check in the "notify me when updates are available" Not complicated, pretty
    straightforward, no cloak-and-dagger.

    William Jackson, Dec 20, 2004
  18. "Jeremy" <> wrote in message

    > The fact that it is surreptitiously installed as part of a bundle makes me
    > suspect.

    The end user license agreement is very clear in this area that an updater is
    being installed.

    > The fact that it is virtually impossible to de-install, because
    > instructions
    > for removal are suppressed, makes me suspect.

    Clicking on preferences, unchecking the "notify me when updates are
    available" seems pretty straightforward to me. Kodak has these instructions
    on our web site as well.

    > The fact that the BackWeb web site admits that it is an advertising popup
    > application (albeit a "polite" one, as they out it) proves it!

    But Kodak doesn't use the advertising popup part. All we use is the
    capability to deliver software updates.

    > Kodak should be ashamed for bundling BackWeb into its "free" software, and
    > failing to make adequate advance disclosure to users. I guess Kodak feels
    > that the users of their software have no choice in what goes into their
    > systems.

    Again, Backweb is a hammer. I can hit nails with it and make things, or I
    can hit people with it and do harm.

    William Jackson, Dec 20, 2004