    Unfortunately nobody can control the disruptive behavior of sociopaths who
    wish to post to an unmoderated newsgroup such as this one. Informed readers,
    however, will have no trouble at all sorting the wheat from the chaff.

    Jeremy, Jan 26, 2004

  2. Jeremy

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Jeremy,

    This issue comes up from time to time when people receive a message on their
    system that there is spyware a foot. Let me review the features and intent
    of the Kodak EasyShare Updater, which is the culprit in these cases.

    The purpose of the KODAK Software Updater is to inform you when an update to
    your KODAK EasyShare Software is available and to make installation of the
    update convenient and simple. Please be assured that the KODAK Software
    Updater does not and, in fact, cannot record, collect or transmit any
    personal information you may store on your computer.

    Also, the KODAK Software Updater periodically queries the Kodak server to
    check for new versions of your KODAK EasyShare Software. The Updater
    compares information provided by the Kodak server with information deposited
    in a Kodak software registry, which was created on your hard drive when you
    installed your KODAK EasyShare Software. The registry contains information
    about the Kodak software program you installed -- such as the type and
    version of the software, the language you selected, and the location of the
    software on your computer. This type of software registry is a feature of
    all desktop applications.

    If the registry information does not match update information received from
    the Kodak server, the Kodak server downloads the updated version of the
    KODAK EasyShare Software to the KODAK Software Updater, which asks you
    whether you want to install the new version. If you choose to install the
    update, the registry is also updated to reflect the new version.

    In order to minimize inconvenience to you, the KODAK Software Updater tool
    features technology that queries the Kodak server and downloads files only
    when you are not using your computer. If you resume use of your computer,
    the tool automatically stops and waits until you are finished to continue.

    In order to implement this feature, the KODAK Software Updater every
    (currently 21 days) polling event checks a) if the internet connection is
    available, then b) if the user is actively using the internet connection.
    The KSU client uses the idle internet connect time to check the server for
    available updates. This means that the KSU client will not impact the
    performance of using their internet connection, and does not impact the
    performance of the system because this happens once every 21 days. The KODAK
    Software Updater cannot access any personal information you may store on
    your computer. Nor is it capable of monitoring or recording what you are
    typing. In fact, the KODAK Software Updater contains no mechanism for
    transmitting data. While Kodak's vendor, Backweb Technologies, Inc., may
    offer other products that are capable of two-way communications, the
    software Kodak licenses from Backweb does not contain such a feature.

    Given this detailed explanation, if you are still uncomfortable with this
    Updater feature, of your KODAK EasyShare Software, it is possible either to
    disable the KODAK Software Updater, or to un-install it from your computer.
    Doing this should only affect your ability to receive automatic updates; you
    should still be able to use your KODAK EasyShare Software. Updates may be
    made available from time to time on Kodak's website and you are welcome to
    visit that site at your convenience to download updated the software.
    Instructions on how to deactivate or un-install the KODAK Software Updater
    are enclosed.

    Deactivating the KODAK Software Updater:

    You can activate or deactivate the KODAK Software Updater feature at any
    time by choosing Start->Programs->Kodak->KODAK Software Updater->KODAK
    Software Updater Setup. Note, Windows XP users should choose Start->All
    Programs->Kodak->KODAK Software Updater->KODAK Software Updater Setup

    Uninstalling the KODAK Software Updater:

    1. Choose Start->Settings->Control Panel. Note, Windows XP users should
    choose Start->Control Panel.

    2. In the Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.

    3. From the list, select the KODAK EasyShare Software, and then click
    Add/Remove.

    4. From the Maintenance window that appears, choose Modify and then click
    the Next button.

    5. Click on the icon next to Kodak Software Updater and select the Red X.

    6. Click the Next button and then the Finish button. This will uninstall
    Kodak Software Updater while leaving the Kodak EasyShare application
    installed.

    7. Upon completion, restart your computer.

    Talk to you soon, Jeremy, if you have any other questions, let me know.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Jan 26, 2004

  3. Jeremy

    Backweb in and of itself is not Spyware. Think of BackWeb as a hammer. You
    can use that hammer to build houses or you can use that hammer to break into
    houses and steal stuff.

    Kodak uses BackWeb to deliver updates to the software. It works like this:

    Every 21 days the client wakes up and calls into Kodak. A set of rules are
    downloaded to your PC and the client then evaluates those rules, sees if the
    update is relevant to you (your version, your OS, etc) and if so then goes
    and fetches the update package from the Kodak server. When the entire
    update has arrived you'll recieve a notice that the update is ready for
    installation.

    No information is sent by the client to any Kodak server, the only thing we
    see from this end is the every-third-week contacts and the download of the
    update packages.

    If you're interested in more, check here:

    http://www.backweb.com/services/html/kodak.html

    William Jackson, Jan 27, 2004
  4. Jeremy

    pjp Guest

    Been reading this thread.

    If it's not an option to "not install" and it attempts to "phone home" every
    21 days, it's not something I ever want on my pc.

    Kodak, if it's gotta be installed then "go pound sand up your arse". I'll
    not use and advise others also to not support such bullshit efforts.

    pjp, Jan 27, 2004
  5. Jeremy

    Ron Hunter Guest

    pjp wrote:

    > Been reading this thread.
    >
    > If it's not an option to "not install" and it attempts to "phone home" every
    > 21 days, it's not something I ever want on my pc.
    >
    > Kodak, if it's gotta be installed then "go pound sand up your arse". I'll
    > not use and advise others also to not support such bullshit efforts.

    It's your computer. But if you want to use the software, you can
    uninstall the update portion. Given your obvious paranoia, it amazes me
    that you are on the internet at all.
    And with your IP and the program you use for mail/news (OE6), arguably
    the least secure program known to modern man, at that. The use of OE
    constitutes more risk to your system than the Kodak updater.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 27, 2004
  6. Jeremy

    Matt Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:58:48 -0500, "William Jackson"
    <> wrote:

    >Jeremy
    >
    >Backweb in and of itself is not Spyware. Think of BackWeb as a hammer. You
    >can use that hammer to build houses or you can use that hammer to break into
    >houses and steal stuff.
    >
    >Kodak uses BackWeb to deliver updates to the software. It works like this:
    >
    >Every 21 days the client wakes up and calls into Kodak. A set of rules are
    >downloaded to your PC and the client then evaluates those rules, sees if the
    >update is relevant to you (your version, your OS, etc) and if so then goes
    >and fetches the update package from the Kodak server. When the entire
    >update has arrived you'll recieve a notice that the update is ready for
    >installation.
    >
    >No information is sent by the client to any Kodak server, the only thing we
    >see from this end is the every-third-week contacts and the download of the
    >update packages.
    >
    >If you're interested in more, check here:
    >
    >http://www.backweb.com/services/html/kodak.html

    Ok, Ok, it ain't "spyware", But I still hate it:

    1. It's yet another piece of background dross
    2. I prefer to check for updates when I want to, and to get a
    positive or negative response.

    If you insist on likening it to a hammer...

    It's a hammer which, instead of allowing you to pick it up, see if
    there's a nail there, and hammer it in....

    Every 21 days, looks for a nail to hammer in, and doesnt let you know
    if it didn't find one, or didn't even get out of the toolbox.

    As far as I'm concerned, there is only one good way to get updates,
    and that's "Check NOW", and I'd like to know what version I'm getting,
    and what improvements it's expected to give, before I decide if it's
    worth downloading.

    --
    I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
    http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles

    If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!

    Matt, Jan 29, 2004
  7. Jeremy

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Matt wrote:

    > On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:58:48 -0500, "William Jackson"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Jeremy
    >>
    >>Backweb in and of itself is not Spyware. Think of BackWeb as a hammer. You
    >>can use that hammer to build houses or you can use that hammer to break into
    >>houses and steal stuff.
    >>
    >>Kodak uses BackWeb to deliver updates to the software. It works like this:
    >>
    >>Every 21 days the client wakes up and calls into Kodak. A set of rules are
    >>downloaded to your PC and the client then evaluates those rules, sees if the
    >>update is relevant to you (your version, your OS, etc) and if so then goes
    >>and fetches the update package from the Kodak server. When the entire
    >>update has arrived you'll recieve a notice that the update is ready for
    >>installation.
    >>
    >>No information is sent by the client to any Kodak server, the only thing we
    >>see from this end is the every-third-week contacts and the download of the
    >>update packages.
    >>
    >>If you're interested in more, check here:
    >>
    >>http://www.backweb.com/services/html/kodak.html

    > Ok, Ok, it ain't "spyware", But I still hate it:
    >
    > 1. It's yet another piece of background dross
    > 2. I prefer to check for updates when I want to, and to get a
    > positive or negative response.
    >
    > If you insist on likening it to a hammer...
    >
    > It's a hammer which, instead of allowing you to pick it up, see if
    > there's a nail there, and hammer it in....
    >
    > Every 21 days, looks for a nail to hammer in, and doesnt let you know
    > if it didn't find one, or didn't even get out of the toolbox.
    >

    > As far as I'm concerned, there is only one good way to get updates,
    > and that's "Check NOW", and I'd like to know what version I'm getting,
    > and what improvements it's expected to give, before I decide if it's
    > worth downloading.

    So turn the damn thing off and pretend it doesn't exist. Is that too hard?

    Ron Hunter, Jan 30, 2004
  8. Jeremy

    Bubba Guest

    Geez Louise.....
    If this guy has any immediate family I sure feel sorry for them.....

    --

    - Bubba

    Bubba, Jan 30, 2004
  9. Matt

    That's fine, you can always update from the web. There is an option in the
    preferences box to turn off the updater. Right click on the system tray
    icon or go into preferences from within EasyShare and turn off automatic
    updating.

    William Jackson, Jan 30, 2004
  10. Jeremy

    Donald Gray Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 23:52:48 +0000, Matt
    <> wrote:

    >Ok, Ok, it ain't "spyware", But I still hate it:
    >
    >1. It's yet another piece of background dross
    >2. I prefer to check for updates when I want to, and to get a
    >positive or negative response.

    My only experience with Easy-Share was yesterday. Not a very happy
    meeting!

    I was called out by a business colleague who had just bought a new
    3.5Mp camera - It came with a copy of E-S. Fe installed it and liked
    it.

    A couple of days later, he checked his email, Guess What? His machine
    hung. - It wouldn't even respond to 'End Task' It hung every time he
    went to dial out. The only way he could get control was hitting the
    reset button on the machine itself!

    At first he didn't tell me about the E-S...

    I checked the modem - OK.
    Checked the cables and line - OK etc etc etc...

    Looking at Task Manager revealed the Kodak Updater sitting there. Put
    there at Boot-time. Removed it - Dial-up OK. The updater somehow
    convinced the modem(or system) that it was already on line (when it
    wasn't0 and confused the dial-up programme - instant crash (lock-up)

    On further investigation, it showed that all image associations had
    been stolen by E-S. The Registry had huge amount of entries the Kodak
    section - almost more that Microsoft!

    Yeah - from my first impression of Kodak Easy-share (& you only get
    one chance at a first impression), was Yuk, what an arrogant lump of
    S/W - it seems to trample over very thing and grab it for itself.

    My colleague asked me to dump it - I found no un-install programme
    available in the 'Programs' directory - Yuk! so I went to Control
    panel/uninstall software. It took longer to run the un installer to
    remove a few 10s of Mb than it did to remove 800 Mb of Autoroute!!!!

    AND it did not do a clean job... left empty directories cluttering up
    the place, Icons on the desktop..... I haven't checked Registry (I
    dare not even take a peep!!)

    I suggest that Kodak take a harder look at what makes a more 'Polite'
    lump of software. From my one and only experience of E-S, I don't want
    to revisit it - perhaps I am being hard on it but it did leave a nasty
    experience in my mind, and that of my colleague.

    I fit works for you, great. It will never work for me - I will never
    try it again - There is a multitude of alternatives that work fine for
    me.
    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

    Donald Gray, Jan 30, 2004
  11. Jeremy

    greengrass Guest

    Donald Gray wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 23:52:48 +0000, Matt
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Ok, Ok, it ain't "spyware", But I still hate it:
    >>
    >>1. It's yet another piece of background dross
    >>2. I prefer to check for updates when I want to, and to get a
    >>positive or negative response.

    > My only experience with Easy-Share was yesterday. Not a very happy
    > meeting!
    >
    > I was called out by a business colleague who had just bought a new
    > 3.5Mp camera - It came with a copy of E-S. Fe installed it and liked
    > it.
    >
    > A couple of days later, he checked his email, Guess What? His machine
    > hung. - It wouldn't even respond to 'End Task' It hung every time he
    > went to dial out. The only way he could get control was hitting the
    > reset button on the machine itself!
    >
    > At first he didn't tell me about the E-S...
    >
    > I checked the modem - OK.
    > Checked the cables and line - OK etc etc etc...
    >
    > Looking at Task Manager revealed the Kodak Updater sitting there. Put
    > there at Boot-time. Removed it - Dial-up OK. The updater somehow
    > convinced the modem(or system) that it was already on line (when it
    > wasn't0 and confused the dial-up programme - instant crash (lock-up)
    >
    > On further investigation, it showed that all image associations had
    > been stolen by E-S. The Registry had huge amount of entries the Kodak
    > section - almost more that Microsoft!

    It doesn't steal anything. It asks you at install time whether you want
    to associate different types of files.

    > Yeah - from my first impression of Kodak Easy-share (& you only get
    > one chance at a first impression), was Yuk, what an arrogant lump of
    > S/W - it seems to trample over very thing and grab it for itself.
    >
    > My colleague asked me to dump it - I found no un-install programme
    > available in the 'Programs' directory - Yuk! so I went to Control
    > panel/uninstall software. It took longer to run the un installer to
    > remove a few 10s of Mb than it did to remove 800 Mb of Autoroute!!!!
    >
    > AND it did not do a clean job... left empty directories cluttering up
    > the place, Icons on the desktop..... I haven't checked Registry (I
    > dare not even take a peep!!)

    Leaving a directory in place is quite common. Icons were removed from my
    desktop when I did an uninstall

    > I suggest that Kodak take a harder look at what makes a more 'Polite'
    > lump of software. From my one and only experience of E-S, I don't want
    > to revisit it - perhaps I am being hard on it

    you sure f'n are

    greengrass, Jan 31, 2004