Kodak Easy Share question(s)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mike Blake, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. Mike Blake

    Mike Blake Guest

    A good friend recently purchased his wife a Kodak 4200 series camera and
    dock which came with an interesting software package called Easy Share. It
    seemed to do the few things that it does quite well and I thought it might
    be a nice package for my wife as she is not at all comfortable with the
    Photoshop Elements package that I normally use to process pictures from our
    Canon G2.

    The questions are about using Easy Share to import pictures directly from
    the G2. If I remove the CF card from the G2 and insert it into a card
    reader WindowsXP brings up a wizard that lets me select Easy Share and the
    files are able to be correctly selected and imported by Easy Share. While I
    almost never connect the camera to the PC, via the Canon USB cable, I did
    attempt to test this Easy Share feature and found that when I plugged the G2
    into the computer the WindowsXP camera and scanner wizard came up and
    allowed me to select Easy Share as a destination for the files. Easy Share
    did execute and allowed me to select the files to transfer but as soon as
    the transfer process started an error message appeared that indicated that
    insufficient storage space was available and the process aborted.

    Has anyone else used this software with a non-Kodak camera? What was the
    result on this specific function?

    Mike
    Mike Blake, Aug 4, 2003

  2. "Mike Blake" <> wrote in message
    > A good friend recently purchased his wife a Kodak 4200 series camera and
    > dock which came with an interesting software package called Easy Share.

    It
    > seemed to do the few things that it does quite well and I thought it might
    > be a nice package for my wife as she is not at all comfortable with the
    > Photoshop Elements package that I normally use to process pictures from

    our
    > Canon G2.
    >
    > The questions are about using Easy Share to import pictures directly from
    > the G2. If I remove the CF card from the G2 and insert it into a card
    > reader WindowsXP brings up a wizard that lets me select Easy Share and the
    > files are able to be correctly selected and imported by Easy Share. While

    > almost never connect the camera to the PC, via the Canon USB cable, I did
    > attempt to test this Easy Share feature and found that when I plugged the

    G2
    > into the computer the WindowsXP camera and scanner wizard came up and
    > allowed me to select Easy Share as a destination for the files. Easy

    Share
    > did execute and allowed me to select the files to transfer but as soon as
    > the transfer process started an error message appeared that indicated that
    > insufficient storage space was available and the process aborted.
    >
    > Has anyone else used this software with a non-Kodak camera? What was the
    > result on this specific function?
    >
    > Mike

    I use it at times, with pix from an Olympus camera. But I don't download
    the files directly to Easy Share. I download them to a CD, then move the
    files I want to work with to Easy Share or other software.
    Marvin Margoshes, Aug 4, 2003

  3. Mike Blake

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Mike,

    I can appreciate your interest in using EasyShare with your Canon camera. I
    am afraid, however, though the program might show up in the list of software
    options, Kodak has not included connection tools for Canon. So, that is the
    likely reason you are getting that error. EasyShare will look for and find
    any images you direct it to, then bring them into your system. If it can't
    read your camera, then it can't get the pics.

    It is a great imaging tool Mike, and I am quite sure you will enjoy using
    it. Let me know if you have questions.

    Talk to you soon, Mike.

    Ron Baird
    Kodak

    Ron Baird, Aug 7, 2003
  4. Mike Blake

    Bill Jackson Guest

    The 4200 came with (I think) a V2.x version of the EasyShare software which
    didn't support a broad range of cameras. You should try the V3.0 verson (or
    if you're willing to wait a couple of days, V3.2) which is available at:

    www.kodak.com/go/easysharesw

    V3.x introduced compatibility with a broader range of cameras. Essentially
    if the drivers for the camera present the camera as a disk (either through
    USB MSDC or via some other mechanism) the automatic transfer in EasyShare
    should work. (your mileage may vary, we don't test every last camera on
    every version of Windows)

    Bill Jackson, Aug 8, 2003