Kodak Easy Share DX6340 - Help!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dave Wheeler, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. Dave Wheeler

    Dave Wheeler Guest

    Hi there!

    I need some help, having been stupid enough to go off travelling with
    a digital camera bought days previously, not practised with, and
    without having brought the instructions!

    The camera is a Kodak Easy Share DX6340 and I inserted a 128 MB memory
    card, thinking that either a) shots I took would automatically save
    onto the card, or b) when the internal memory got full I would be able
    to easily transfer the shots to the card. I even set Image Storage on
    the menu to Auto, thinking that would crack it. However, not so -
    having taken about 20 shots my camera tells me that the Internal
    Memory is full, and I have no idea how to transfer them to the card. I
    may be an inept divvy, but I need your help - I am travelling for some
    time so cannot download to my PC. Can anybody enlighten me?

    Much gratitude, in advance!

    Dave

    Dave Wheeler, Jan 19, 2004

  2. Dave Wheeler

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Dave Wheeler wrote:

    > Hi there!
    >
    > I need some help, having been stupid enough to go off travelling with
    > a digital camera bought days previously, not practised with, and
    > without having brought the instructions!
    >
    > The camera is a Kodak Easy Share DX6340 and I inserted a 128 MB memory
    > card, thinking that either a) shots I took would automatically save
    > onto the card, or b) when the internal memory got full I would be able
    > to easily transfer the shots to the card. I even set Image Storage on
    > the menu to Auto, thinking that would crack it. However, not so -
    > having taken about 20 shots my camera tells me that the Internal
    > Memory is full, and I have no idea how to transfer them to the card. I
    > may be an inept divvy, but I need your help - I am travelling for some
    > time so cannot download to my PC. Can anybody enlighten me?
    >
    > Much gratitude, in advance!
    >
    > Dave

    Dave,
    The kodak site online has your manual online. Look in the section on
    reviewing your pictures. There it will tell you how to copy to the
    card. BTW, you DID format the card in the camera, didn't you?

    Ron Hunter, Jan 20, 2004

  3. Dave Wheeler

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Dave,

    Sorry to hear about your troubles. I am going to help you.

    When you set the camera to Auto, it means the camera will look for a card,
    and use it first. This leaves the internal memory as a back up in case you
    use up all the memory on the card. To review the workings of the camera and
    its features you can go to the Kodak website to find the manual online. Go
    to this location.

    http://www.kodak.com/go/support

    Click on the manuals and publications link to the left side of the screen to
    find a list of products. Choose digital cameras to find another list,
    including your camera. You can download a PDF of the manual you can save on
    your computer, if you are using a laptop for your work.

    Regardless, to help with the card, I suggest you try it in another computer
    or device. If you can find a computer that has a card reader try it there
    if it does not work format the card. Or, if you can find a computer store,
    take it with you and format the card at the store. See if that makes a
    difference. If not, and if you bought from a large chain, you can visit an
    outlet for direct help. If it is a Kodak card, let me know and I will take
    the ball from you. If not a Kodak card, and neither of these scenarios
    works, see if you can reach the maker of the card, i.e. San Disk and try for
    direct help and support to get a card that is OK and working.

    If you find that the card is OK and works in other devices but not in the
    Kodak camera, let me know and I will try to help in that way.

    Talk to you soon, and good luck!

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Jan 20, 2004
  4. Dave Wheeler

    GJP Guest

    Hi Ron;
    Have I missed something, I only recall inserting my 128Mb MMC into the
    DX6440, I don't recall having to format it...I've taken pictures and
    downloaded them from that card without any problem so far, my card was new,
    maybe you are talking about a card used in another camera?

    BTW if Dave just presses the review button then the menu button I think he
    will find it easy to follow along and copy his internal memory pics to his
    card...if everything else is working correctly.

    GJP

    Ron Hunter <> wrote in

    GJP, Jan 20, 2004
  5. Dave Wheeler

    Ron Hunter Guest

    GJP wrote:

    >>Dave,
    >> The kodak site online has your manual online. Look in the section on
    >>reviewing your pictures. There it will tell you how to copy to the
    >>card. BTW, you DID format the card in the camera, didn't you?
    >>

    > Hi Ron;
    > Have I missed something, I only recall inserting my 128Mb MMC into the
    > DX6440, I don't recall having to format it...I've taken pictures and
    > downloaded them from that card without any problem so far, my card

    was new,
    > maybe you are talking about a card used in another camera?
    >
    > BTW if Dave just presses the review button then the menu button I

    think he
    > will find it easy to follow along and copy his internal memory pics

    to his
    > card...if everything else is working correctly.
    >
    > GJP

    Since he was having trouble, I suggested that he format the card.
    Finding the menu item is not an easy thing, at least on my model camera,
    as it is hidden in the review menu structure. NOT where I would have
    expected it.
    I doesn't hurt to format a card now and then if you think something
    might have messed up the file structure, or there is a problem getting
    the camera to recognize the card, as is apparent since he had the camera
    set to 'auto', and it doesn't seem to see the card.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 20, 2004
  6. Dave Wheeler

    GJP Guest

    Hi Ron;
    I was just wondering if I had missed a step (like format card) when I
    inserted the card in my DX6440..seems to work ok so I guess I'm ok.(G)
    Thanks for the reply...much appreciated.

    GJP

    Ron Hunter <> wrote in

    GJP, Jan 20, 2004
  7. Dave Wheeler

    Dave Wheeler Guest

    "Ron Baird" <> wrote in message news:<bujrfi$9ns$>...
    > Greetings Dave,
    >
    > Sorry to hear about your troubles. I am going to help you.
    >
    > When you set the camera to Auto, it means the camera will look for a card,
    > and use it first. This leaves the internal memory as a back up in case you
    > use up all the memory on the card. To review the workings of the camera and
    > its features you can go to the Kodak website to find the manual online. Go
    > to this location.
    >
    > http://www.kodak.com/go/support
    >
    > Click on the manuals and publications link to the left side of the screen to
    > find a list of products. Choose digital cameras to find another list,
    > including your camera. You can download a PDF of the manual you can save on
    > your computer, if you are using a laptop for your work.

    Thanks Ron, and to all other contributors! I am delighted to report
    that I am now 'up and running'! I was able to access the manual via
    Ron's link, and gradually work my way through.

    My card, it seems, is fine - and indeed, further to other remarks
    above, did not seem to require formatting. Anyway, I sussed out how to
    copy the Internal Memory to the card, then delete the Internal Memory.
    Also, the Auto (save direct to card) facility seems to be working. I
    actually took the card out and reinserted it, and this seemed to
    'kickstart' it.

    I am very pleased, because my wife and I are travelling in Peru, and
    tomorrow we are taking a boat trip on Lake Titicaca. In the nick of
    time, I can now take photographs.

    Once again, thanks for your contributions

    Dave

    Dave Wheeler, Jan 21, 2004
  8. Dave Wheeler

    GJP Guest

    Hey Dave, glad to hear you are now in good shape for your trip, remember to
    let us see the pics when you get back.(G)
    Great to have guys like Ron Hunter and Ron Baird around to keep us out of
    trouble with our toys.(G)

    GJP

    (Dave Wheeler) wrote in

    GJP, Jan 21, 2004