    appreciate it if somebody could give me the information so I can pass
    it on to her.
    Thanks!
    blue, Sep 23, 2006

  2. blue

    Roy G Guest

    "blue" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My friend has this camera and I asked her to send me an image for
    > printing. She sent one at 72 resolution. I asked her to give me one at
    > a higher resolution and she doesn't know how. Can anyone tell me if it
    > is so hard to change the resolution on that camera? I would really
    > appreciate it if somebody could give me the information so I can pass
    > it on to her.
    > Thanks!

    Have a read at www.scantips.com it has lots of helpful articles on
    resolution and pixel things.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Sep 23, 2006

  3. blue

    blue Guest

    Thanks -- the problem is with her knowledge of her camera. I don't know
    anything about it -- I asked her if there is a menu for setting the
    resolution and she can't find it. She apparently doesn't have a
    manual!!! She must be able to get photos that are good enough for
    PRINTING out of the darn thing. I guess it wont be my problem if I
    reproduce her image at 72 resolution.

    blue, Sep 23, 2006
  4. blue wrote:
    > Thanks -- the problem is with her knowledge of her camera. I don't know
    > anything about it -- I asked her if there is a menu for setting the
    > resolution and she can't find it. She apparently doesn't have a
    > manual!!! She must be able to get photos that are good enough for
    > PRINTING out of the darn thing. I guess it wont be my problem if I
    > reproduce her image at 72 resolution.

    The "72 resolution" thing is generally misleading. It's often the
    default for many digital cameras, and by itself it means little- just an
    almost random of assigning a certain number of pixels per inch.

    The over all pixel dimensions are what's important, measured H x W.
    What are they ? What size do you wish to print? What software do you
    have for images?

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Sep 23, 2006
  5. blue

    blue Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > blue wrote:
    > > Thanks -- the problem is with her knowledge of her camera. I don't know
    > > anything about it -- I asked her if there is a menu for setting the
    > > resolution and she can't find it. She apparently doesn't have a
    > > manual!!! She must be able to get photos that are good enough for
    > > PRINTING out of the darn thing. I guess it wont be my problem if I
    > > reproduce her image at 72 resolution.

    > The "72 resolution" thing is generally misleading. It's often the
    > default for many digital cameras, and by itself it means little- just an
    > almost random of assigning a certain number of pixels per inch.
    >
    > The over all pixel dimensions are what's important, measured H x W.
    > What are they ? What size do you wish to print? What software do you
    > have for images?
    >
    > --
    > John McWilliams

    The image she sent is 1632 x 2148 pixels 72 resolution
    The print will be no larger than 2 inches.
    I myself only reduced the inches. When the printer prints this TINY
    image you can see places where it breaks up. It is "OK" but I'm looking
    for something better of course. I have my other images on this
    announcement and they are perfect, no break up. I'm using paint shop
    pro but the invitation has already been to the printer and he's using
    adobe illustrator. As far as I know, he's used the images as I gave
    them to him. I asked him to hold off printing while I see if I can get
    a better image from this one artist.
    blue, Sep 23, 2006
  6. blue wrote:
    > John McWilliams wrote:
    >> blue wrote:
    >>> Thanks -- the problem is with her knowledge of her camera. I don't know
    >>> anything about it -- I asked her if there is a menu for setting the
    >>> resolution and she can't find it. She apparently doesn't have a
    >>> manual!!! She must be able to get photos that are good enough for
    >>> PRINTING out of the darn thing. I guess it wont be my problem if I
    >>> reproduce her image at 72 resolution.

    >> The "72 resolution" thing is generally misleading. It's often the
    >> default for many digital cameras, and by itself it means little- just an
    >> almost random of assigning a certain number of pixels per inch.
    >>
    >> The over all pixel dimensions are what's important, measured H x W.
    >> What are they ? What size do you wish to print? What software do you
    >> have for images?
    >>

    > The image she sent is 1632 x 2148 pixels 72 resolution
    > The print will be no larger than 2 inches.
    > I myself only reduced the inches. When the printer prints this TINY
    > image you can see places where it breaks up. It is "OK" but I'm looking
    > for something better of course. I have my other images on this
    > announcement and they are perfect, no break up. I'm using paint shop
    > pro but the invitation has already been to the printer and he's using
    > adobe illustrator. As far as I know, he's used the images as I gave
    > them to him. I asked him to hold off printing while I see if I can get
    > a better image from this one artist.

    You have plenty of pixels for a 2 x 3 for example, and, again, forget
    the 72 number; it's arbitrary and has no meaning. The printer should
    know what to do with the image if it's passed on to him without resampling.

    As to it "breaking up", a w.a.g. is that's not a problem for the printer
    if he gets the full sized image. You may have resized it to 2 x 3",
    keeping the arbitrary 72 ppi (which is fine for monitor viewing, lousy
    for printing.)

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Sep 23, 2006