    4.0.

    It is free after all!!

    Thanks in advance,

    A minor, Sep 3, 2004

  2. A minor

    Robert Barr Guest

    Just go here:

    http://www.kodak.com/

    Drill down. Follow the directions. I just downloaded and installed it,
    and it couldn't have been easier. It installs over the web, not from a
    downloaded file.

    Robert Barr, Sep 3, 2004

  3. "Robert Barr" <> wrote in message

    > Drill down. Follow the directions. I just downloaded and installed it,
    > and it couldn't have been easier. It installs over the web, not from a
    > downloaded file.

    Is there a way to make it download the entire installing file, so you can CD
    burn it for archiving? That's a MUCH better way, I do NOT like installing
    over the web.

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Sep 3, 2004
  4. A minor

    pjp Guest

    "Larry R Harrison Jr" <> wrote in message

    > "Robert Barr" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Drill down. Follow the directions. I just downloaded and installed it,
    > > and it couldn't have been easier. It installs over the web, not from a
    > > downloaded file.
    > >

    > Is there a way to make it download the entire installing file, so you can

    CD
    > burn it for archiving? That's a MUCH better way, I do NOT like installing
    > over the web.
    >
    > LRH

    Agreed. Especially stupid if it's the only alternative as not everyone has a
    fast connection, e.g. I'm rural area and dialup never gets past 28.8 with no
    other reasonable financial alternative.

    pjp, Sep 3, 2004
  5. A minor

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:

    > "Robert Barr" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>Drill down. Follow the directions. I just downloaded and installed it,
    >>and it couldn't have been easier. It installs over the web, not from a
    >>downloaded file.
    >>

    > Is there a way to make it download the entire installing file, so you can CD
    > burn it for archiving? That's a MUCH better way, I do NOT like installing
    > over the web.
    >
    > LRH

    I don't like web installs either, but Kodak caters to the mainstream.
    Downloading the whole install via dialup would take most of a day. You
    can order the program on a disk.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 3, 2004
  6. A minor

    B. Peg Guest

    The computer I work graphics on is not hooked to the web so that is one
    strike against the download install.

    Secondly, you have to sign up to receive Kodak's spam. Ugh!

    B~

    B. Peg, Sep 3, 2004
  7. A minor

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Minor,

    Sorry to hear that you are having trouble downloading. Actually, it should
    not be a problem at all? What is it that is happening? The only request
    that Kodak makes is that you join kodak.com. As a member you can download
    EasyShare and more. There is no obligation or fee of any kind. You will be
    offered the option of receiving Quicktakes email which offer coupons, and
    specials from time to time. There is a box to say no and you will not
    receive any emails.

    When you join, make sure you have cookies enabled as Kodak looks for that
    setting. You should not have any trouble. If you have specific
    experiences, let me know and I will make sure you get the program.

    http://www.kodak.com/go/easysharesw

    Talk to you soon, Albie,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Sep 3, 2004
  8. A minor

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Peg,

    As noted, you can get the software for a nominal fee of $7.95 and the newest
    version is just coming to the market on CD. It is a great program and it
    will update itself if you enable the Kodak Updater feature. If your system
    is not connected to the web then that feature will not work for you.

    By the way, you do not have to accept any email from Kodak during the sign
    up on our website. We have an option to say no. Actually, there are not
    that many emails that would be sent and they are really directed at owners
    of our cameras and of course EasyShare. You do get some good deals and
    coupons etc. on occcasion.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Sep 3, 2004
  9. Okay so Kodak takes the "simple" approach. Fine, but then (a) how hard would
    it be for the person downloading to click "OPEN" rather than "open folder"
    or "okay" once the full-sized EXE had downloaded? Then, at the end of the
    install, the Kodak EXE could offer the option to delete itself (I THINK it
    could anyway). How hard is that?

    Or, keep the download/install but have a separate, smaller link--so as to
    not confuse the illiterate--that techie-types could use as an alternative. I
    would MUCH prefer that method, MUCH prefer it.

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Sep 4, 2004
  10. A minor

    Robert Barr Guest

    I didn't say it was a better approach. I just said it was simple.

    If I didn't have DSL, I'd be pretty annoyed at having to wait through an
    'internet update' on a camera I just paid $300 for, especially if I had,
    for example, a desktop and a laptop & wanted to use both with the
    camera. That would require two separate sessions. With dial-up, that
    would be a major annoyance.

    Robert Barr, Sep 4, 2004
  11. A minor

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Larry,

    I appreciate your interest and suggestion. Actually, a downloadable feature
    has been on the burner for a while. Who knows what may happen in the
    future.

    In the meantime, please be aware that to download the full program would
    require a lot more time on the modem than the way it is delivered now.
    Considerably so. It is more efficient for those without a cable or DSL
    modem as there is less to install.

    Also, for those that have purchased a Kodak camera, they should have a CD
    that they can use to install. Once installed and they include the Kodak
    Updater (is is a clickable option) to be installed, they will always get the
    latest version of the software behind the scenes. It will download for them
    and an alert will be presented when it is ready to install. It is done
    millions of times with version updates.

    Truth is there is more to the full exe download than meets the eye.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Sep 7, 2004
  12. A minor

    Matt Guest

    On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 09:45:13 -0400, "Ron Baird" <>
    wrote:

    >Greetings Larry,
    >
    >I appreciate your interest and suggestion. Actually, a downloadable feature
    >has been on the burner for a while. Who knows what may happen in the
    >future.
    >
    >In the meantime, please be aware that to download the full program would
    >require a lot more time on the modem than the way it is delivered now.
    >Considerably so. It is more efficient for those without a cable or DSL
    >modem as there is less to install.
    >
    >Also, for those that have purchased a Kodak camera, they should have a CD
    >that they can use to install. Once installed and they include the Kodak
    >Updater (is is a clickable option) to be installed, they will always get the
    >latest version of the software behind the scenes. It will download for them
    >and an alert will be presented when it is ready to install. It is done
    >millions of times with version updates.
    >
    >Truth is there is more to the full exe download than meets the eye.

    The issue, as it seems to be, is that downloading everything (a very
    simple solution) would be just to flaming BIG, and there are
    components on the CD which are not licenced for that kind of
    distribution.

    Otherwise, bandwith could be solved at a stroke, by putting the full
    version out as a Bittorrent - as with that, the majority of the
    bandwidth should come from the users, especially if some incentive
    could be offerred to create additional seeds.

    So that leaves the way it is now, A horrible online install.

    To the casual observer, it would appear thay it should be possible to
    collate and save those files, actually, if you clean out the temp
    first, and the extra machine has the same OS, Printer and Camera, it
    might work.

    So in the end, there are going to a varity of components:
    1. Always needed
    2. OS specific, and unless each are large, an all-OS bundle means
    easier re-use.
    3. Camera specific
    4. Printer specific - I thought "One Touch to better printing" drivers
    were an extra download anyway.

    Even Microsoft, ofen have oiptions to offline install - Internet
    Explorer can be downloaded that way
    --
    I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
    http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles

    If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!

    Matt, Sep 9, 2004
  13. "Matt" <> wrote in message

    > >Truth is there is more to the full exe download than meets the eye.

    Agreed , more than most will even begin to think about

    > The issue, as it seems to be, is that downloading everything (a very
    > simple solution) would be just to flaming BIG, and there are
    > components on the CD which are not licenced for that kind of
    > distribution.

    Somewhere on the order of 140MB all told

    > Otherwise, bandwith could be solved at a stroke, by putting the full
    > version out as a Bittorrent - as with that, the majority of the
    > bandwidth should come from the users, especially if some incentive
    > could be offerred to create additional seeds.

    interesting thougth

    > So that leaves the way it is now, A horrible online install.

    horrible for some, satisfying for most. As I've said before here our
    on-line and telephone support team found that a single download in the past
    found that lots of people would download the full-install and then "lose"
    where it went and call us. That has virtually stopped.

    Remember, EasyShare is taking something like 70K downloads per week,
    sustained. We have a handful of people who want the full download compared
    with thousands of people who are satisfied with the current install-from-web
    solution

    > To the casual observer, it would appear thay it should be possible to
    > collate and save those files, actually, if you clean out the temp
    > first, and the extra machine has the same OS, Printer and Camera, it
    > might work.

    yup, might work.

    > So in the end, there are going to a varity of components:
    > 1. Always needed
    > 2. OS specific, and unless each are large, an all-OS bundle means
    > easier re-use.
    > 3. Camera specific
    > 4. Printer specific - I thought "One Touch to better printing" drivers
    > were an extra download anyway.
    >
    > Even Microsoft, ofen have oiptions to offline install - Internet
    > Explorer can be downloaded that way

    Microsoft also has a whole lot more people and money to throw at the
    problem. My installer team, who would have to do this work is 3 people
    these days. To build a single install we'd have to engineer it, QA it and
    then get it deployed. Alll with the twice-a-year release schedule we're on
    these days.

    William Jackson, Sep 10, 2004
  14. A minor

    Jean Nohain Guest

    "Ron Baird" <> wrote in message news:<cha2jg$27t$>...
    > Greetings Minor,
    >
    > Sorry to hear that you are having trouble downloading. Actually, it should
    > not be a problem at all? What is it that is happening? The only request
    > that Kodak makes is that you join kodak.com. As a member you can download
    > EasyShare and more. There is no obligation or fee of any kind. You will be
    > offered the option of receiving Quicktakes email which offer coupons, and
    > specials from time to time. There is a box to say no and you will not
    > receive any emails.
    >
    > When you join, make sure you have cookies enabled as Kodak looks for that
    > setting. You should not have any trouble. If you have specific
    > experiences, let me know and I will make sure you get the program.
    >
    > http://www.kodak.com/go/easysharesw
    >
    > Talk to you soon, Albie,
    >
    > Ron Baird
    > Eastman Kodak Company
    >

    > "A minor" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Why is it so freakin difficult to download Kodak Easy share software?
    > > Can anyone send me a direct link or FTP to the site? I need Easy Share
    > > 4.0.
    > >
    > > It is free after all!!
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,

    Hi,
    I appreciate Mr Jackson's comments regarding leagal issues with third
    parties but whay then is the Mac version of the software offered as a
    full donwloadable one then ?
    Cheers
    Jean

    Jean Nohain, Sep 13, 2004
  15. The Mac version doesn't ship with Quicktime since it works only on MacOS X
    and we assume that Quicktime is installed since it comes by default.

    As for the single download, the Mac download-then-install, especially with
    Safari, is much easier to understand than Internet Explorer.

    William Jackson, Sep 13, 2004
  16. A minor

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Jean,

    Well, the download audience for that format is far less than it is for
    Windows. Also, the code and such are much different as well. There are
    real differences Jean. Believe me, Bill, has reviewed every possible angle
    in creating and delivering our software as efficiently as possible. He has
    lots of things he could do but must work in a certain space, if you will.
    If there were a way to do it better he would have done it by now. You can
    expect some great things in the future.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Sep 13, 2004
  17. A minor

    Costin Guest

    > "Matt" <> wrote in message

    > > Even Microsoft, ofen have oiptions to offline install - Internet
    > > Explorer can be downloaded that way

    at least microsoft leaves you with a COMPLETE kit for your os in
    'windows update setup files'

    Costin, Sep 14, 2004
  18. A minor

    Jean Nohain Guest

    "Ron Baird" <> wrote in message news:<ci4s4q$h24$>...
    > Hi Jean,
    >
    > Well, the download audience for that format is far less than it is for
    > Windows. Also, the code and such are much different as well. There are
    > real differences Jean. Believe me, Bill, has reviewed every possible angle
    > in creating and delivering our software as efficiently as possible. He has
    > lots of things he could do but must work in a certain space, if you will.
    > If there were a way to do it better he would have done it by now. You can
    > expect some great things in the future.
    >
    > Talk to you soon,
    >
    > Ron Baird
    > Eastman Kodak Company
    >
    > Hi Ron and Bill.

    Thanks for your replies but it appears you failed to address my point
    which was questioning the legal issues you claimed you had with third
    parties and ESS.
    What is so different on the Mac version ?
    Cheers

    Jean Nohain, Sep 14, 2004
  19. A minor

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Costin,

    Kodak does as well. It is simply not on your system. Rather, if the
    software is installed from a CD and you still have it available, just insert
    it into the CDROM drive and select 'Repair' from the program maintenance
    window that appears.

    If you do not have a CD, or have installed from the web, you can run
    'Repair' using the 'Add/Remove Programs,' found on the 'Control Panel,' To
    run Repair:

    1. Click Start and then click Control Panel.
    2. Double-click on Add/Remove Programs.
    3. Select (single click) KODAK EASYSHARE Software from the list and then
    click the Change Button. Click Next.
    4. Select Repair and click Next.
    5. Click Next when complete and allow reboot if asked.
    6. Start EasyShare and try opening the program again.

    This should work for you and make any repairs that might be necessary easy.

    Let me know if you think I can help.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Sep 14, 2004