Kodak DX7590

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by krisprasad, Apr 12, 2005.

  1. krisprasad

    krisprasad Guest

    Hi

    I am planning to buy my first digital camera.Am looking for a 5 Mega
    pixel camera with a good zoom[ bet 8x and 12x] I read a lot of
    reviews and have Kodak DX 7590 and Konica Minolta Z5 in mind. The
    Panasonic FZ series is also around, but somehow am nt very much for
    panasonic now. Both are comparable in price also

    Am looking for good quality pictures, not too particular about night
    shots. I am looking for printing and blowing up these pictures too.
    Keeping all these in mind, have the following questions

    All the reviews state that KM Z5 does not produce excellent pictures.
    They claim the images being soft and colors being fairly accurate

    The Kodak seemed to have beter picture quality compared to KM Z5 and
    produces good colors and great looking photos.

    Is the above really true from anyones experience?

    The only dept. in KM Z5 which is tempting is the image stabilization
    and the AA batteries.

    Overall, am leaning towards Kodak. Is this a good choice?

    --thx a lot in advance
    Prasad

    krisprasad, Apr 12, 2005

  2. krisprasad

    Ron Hunter Guest

    krisprasad wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am planning to buy my first digital camera.Am looking for a 5 Mega
    > pixel camera with a good zoom[ bet 8x and 12x] I read a lot of
    > reviews and have Kodak DX 7590 and Konica Minolta Z5 in mind. The
    > Panasonic FZ series is also around, but somehow am nt very much for
    > panasonic now. Both are comparable in price also
    >
    > Am looking for good quality pictures, not too particular about night
    > shots. I am looking for printing and blowing up these pictures too.
    > Keeping all these in mind, have the following questions
    >
    > All the reviews state that KM Z5 does not produce excellent pictures.
    > They claim the images being soft and colors being fairly accurate
    >
    > The Kodak seemed to have beter picture quality compared to KM Z5 and
    > produces good colors and great looking photos.
    >
    > Is the above really true from anyones experience?
    >
    > The only dept. in KM Z5 which is tempting is the image stabilization
    > and the AA batteries.
    >
    > Overall, am leaning towards Kodak. Is this a good choice?
    >
    > --thx a lot in advance
    > Prasad

    If you normally take pictures at the max zoom in situations where a
    tripod or other stabilization isn't practical, the IS could be a real
    advantage. If not, I would go with the Kodak. My experiences with them
    over the past 55 or so years have been almost uniformly positive.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Apr 12, 2005

  3. krisprasad

    Ronald Baird Guest

    Hi Kris,

    Personally, I prefer the Kodak camera which would not be a surprise. I do
    have the chance to use the camera in question and am quite familiar with it.
    Let me review what I feel are the best features, at least they are for me.

    - external flash option
    This feature lets you attach a flash unit to your camera to extend its flash
    range considerably. With a good flash, you can get pictures in almost any
    situations.
    - electronic view finder
    This options is a small screen of what is shown on the LCD screen of the
    camera. So, you can see what you are going to get in the image. It reduces
    the chance of parallax and such. The EasyShare system is also a great
    feature, i.e. the in-camera address book is cool.

    There are lots of other features that you are likely familiar with, Kris,
    and I encourage you to review the reference pages for the camera directly.
    Try visiting:
    http://www.kodak.com/go/dx7590

    At the same time I also suggest that you get a hands on review of all the
    cameras you are interested in so you can try them out. If they all take SD
    memory, you might want to get a memory card for your future use, or borrow
    one so you can review the images from each of the cameras of interest. You
    can then compare them in your computer.

    Talk to you soon, let me know if you think I can help with digital questions
    in general, always around and glad to review with you.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ronald Baird, Apr 12, 2005