Kodak DX7590 vs Z7590

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by pIxEL8eD_nITs, Feb 27, 2005.

  1. Hi, I would really appreciate it if the very useful Kodak rep. lurking
    in this group could let me know exactly what are the differences between
    those 2 models.

    Thank you very much in advance, Mr. Baird!!!! I really hope you could
    answer this question.
    pIxEL8eD_nITs, Feb 27, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. pIxEL8eD_nITs

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Pixel,

    No lurking for me, Pixel, I am here to help you. You can also use my email
    address to get more help if you like.

    Both cameras are quite similar in features, but the Z7590 does have some
    improvements below are the three most apparent.

    1.) Z7590 uses the new, 26-pin docking connector that all 2005 EasyShare
    digital cameras models are using. This is the ' Image Link ' connector that
    not only allows battery recharging and direct printing with a Kodak
    EasyShare printer dock series 3 and printer dock plus series 3, but will
    also be utilized by our Image Link partner digital camera manufacturers so
    that you can dock their Image Link cameras to Kodak pd series 3 and pd+
    series 3 to make prints.

    2.) Z7590 uses the 4-pin USB mini-b connector for USB cable connection to a
    PC or Mac - this is the same as the DX7590. Z7590 uses a new 8-pin
    connector for the A/V out connector. This is different than the DX7590 but
    the same as most other 2005 EasyShare models. Most of the other 2005
    EasyShare models use the 8-pin connector for both A/V out and USB
    functionality.

    3.) Z7590 will display an active histogram on the LCD and EVF in capture
    modes. This is a small, semi-transparent histogram positioned below display
    center on the left side that shows the brightness distribution of the image.
    This will allow users to determine whether a particular scene contains the
    full range of brightness or not and it will allow them to see the effect
    that camera setting changes will have on the image. Kodak does not provide
    any support as far as teaching users how to evaluate the histogram
    information. It's provided as a convenience for photographers that may be
    familiar with image histograms and it can be a learning tool for users
    wanting to learn more about how their camera perceives the scene.

    Best Regards,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company




    "pIxEL8eD_nITs" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi, I would really appreciate it if the very useful Kodak rep. lurking
    > in this group could let me know exactly what are the differences between
    > those 2 models.
    >
    > Thank you very much in advance, Mr. Baird!!!! I really hope you could
    > answer this question.
    Ron Baird, Feb 28, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Thank you very much for your fast and very technically accurate
    response.
    You are a very valuable resource person to this group and to us Kodak
    users.

    Best regards...


    Ron Baird wrote:
    >
    > Greetings Pixel,
    >
    > No lurking for me, Pixel, I am here to help you. You can also use my email
    > address to get more help if you like.
    >
    > Both cameras are quite similar in features, but the Z7590 does have some
    > improvements below are the three most apparent.
    >
    > 1.) Z7590 uses the new, 26-pin docking connector that all 2005 EasyShare
    > digital cameras models are using. This is the ' Image Link ' connector that
    > not only allows battery recharging and direct printing with a Kodak
    > EasyShare printer dock series 3 and printer dock plus series 3, but will
    > also be utilized by our Image Link partner digital camera manufacturers so
    > that you can dock their Image Link cameras to Kodak pd series 3 and pd+
    > series 3 to make prints.
    >
    > 2.) Z7590 uses the 4-pin USB mini-b connector for USB cable connection to a
    > PC or Mac - this is the same as the DX7590. Z7590 uses a new 8-pin
    > connector for the A/V out connector. This is different than the DX7590 but
    > the same as most other 2005 EasyShare models. Most of the other 2005
    > EasyShare models use the 8-pin connector for both A/V out and USB
    > functionality.
    >
    > 3.) Z7590 will display an active histogram on the LCD and EVF in capture
    > modes. This is a small, semi-transparent histogram positioned below display
    > center on the left side that shows the brightness distribution of the image.
    > This will allow users to determine whether a particular scene contains the
    > full range of brightness or not and it will allow them to see the effect
    > that camera setting changes will have on the image. Kodak does not provide
    > any support as far as teaching users how to evaluate the histogram
    > information. It's provided as a convenience for photographers that may be
    > familiar with image histograms and it can be a learning tool for users
    > wanting to learn more about how their camera perceives the scene.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    >
    > Ron Baird
    > Eastman Kodak Company
    >
    > "pIxEL8eD_nITs" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Hi, I would really appreciate it if the very useful Kodak rep. lurking
    > > in this group could let me know exactly what are the differences between
    > > those 2 models.
    > >
    > > Thank you very much in advance, Mr. Baird!!!! I really hope you could
    > > answer this question.
    pIxEL8eD_nITs, Mar 1, 2005
    #3
  4. I'm looking that Sony V3 and the Kodak dx7590. I think I'm leaning towards
    the DX7590. However, the one major downside to the Kokak camera is the
    slow buffer. Although the shot to shot time is around 2.3 seconds, it
    takes a lot longer for the picture to be written to the SD card and cleared
    from the buffer. As a result, if you fill the buffer (5-8 shots?), you
    could have to wait as long as 25 seconds before you can take another
    picture.

    Does the Kodak Z740 or Z7590 improve on the performance of the buffer?

    Thank you

    --
    Message posted via http://www.photokb.com
    Andrew Bennett via PhotoKB.com, Mar 21, 2005
    #4
  5. pIxEL8eD_nITs

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Andrew,

    No, the Z7590 and the DX7590 have the same 'buffer' so that is not changed.
    It does include a Histogram which is a pretty nice feature. It also has
    external flash synch which is a big advantage adds a lot of range to the
    camera. There is a change in that feature from the DX6490 to the DX7590 so
    improvements were added in the 7590 version. I guess that issue is dependent
    on the type of shooting you will be doing. What requires the speed? The
    camera is pretty fast for its price range.

    In first burst mode the camera can do 5 fps
    In last burst mode the camera can do 30 fps and save the last four.

    The click to capture is .2 seconds with preview on and 1.6 shot to shot. The
    actual shot to shot is 1.8 with preview on.

    Talk to you soon, Andrew,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company




    "Andrew Bennett via PhotoKB.com" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm looking that Sony V3 and the Kodak dx7590. I think I'm leaning

    towards
    > the DX7590. However, the one major downside to the Kokak camera is the
    > slow buffer. Although the shot to shot time is around 2.3 seconds, it
    > takes a lot longer for the picture to be written to the SD card and

    cleared
    > from the buffer. As a result, if you fill the buffer (5-8 shots?), you
    > could have to wait as long as 25 seconds before you can take another
    > picture.
    >
    > Does the Kodak Z740 or Z7590 improve on the performance of the buffer?
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > --
    > Message posted via http://www.photokb.com
    Ron Baird, Mar 22, 2005
    #5
  6. pIxEL8eD_nITs

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Andrew,

    No, the Z7590 is the better of the two cameras. Actually, the shot to shot
    time is posted on the Kodak web site for this camera. Check the details at:

    http://www.kodak.com/go/z7590

    Talk to you soon Andrew, let me know if there are questions.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company



    "Andrew Bennett via PhotoKB.com" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm looking that Sony V3 and the Kodak dx7590. I think I'm leaning

    towards
    > the DX7590. However, the one major downside to the Kokak camera is the
    > slow buffer. Although the shot to shot time is around 2.3 seconds, it
    > takes a lot longer for the picture to be written to the SD card and

    cleared
    > from the buffer. As a result, if you fill the buffer (5-8 shots?), you
    > could have to wait as long as 25 seconds before you can take another
    > picture.
    >
    > Does the Kodak Z740 or Z7590 improve on the performance of the buffer?
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > --
    > Message posted via http://www.photokb.com
    Ron Baird, Mar 22, 2005
    #6
  7. Thank you for the information.

    I have another question for you. Aside from the 2.2" LCD and the
    histogram, are there any other differences between the Z7590 and Z740?


    Thank you

    --
    Message posted via http://www.photokb.com
    Andrew Bennett via PhotoKB.com, Mar 24, 2005
    #7
  8. pIxEL8eD_nITs

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Andrew,

    Yes, the 740 does not feature a flash synch option (allows you to connect an
    external flash) which to me is a big difference. If you go to the Kodak
    website and open two browser windows, you can call up the spec sheets on
    both cameras. You can then compare the spec list side by side to get a full
    review of what each camera offers. The 740 is a great camera and I am sure
    you would enjoy it. For me, however, I like the external flash feature and
    so would go that way if it were my choice.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company




    "Andrew Bennett via PhotoKB.com" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Thank you for the information.
    >
    > I have another question for you. Aside from the 2.2" LCD and the
    > histogram, are there any other differences between the Z7590 and Z740?
    >
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > --
    > Message posted via http://www.photokb.com
    Ron Baird, Mar 25, 2005
    #8
  9. Does anybody know when in April the rest of the Kodak Z-series cameras will
    be coming out - the Z7590 in particular?


    Thank you

    --
    Message posted via http://www.photokb.com
    Andrew Bennett via PhotoKB.com, Apr 7, 2005
    #9
  10. pIxEL8eD_nITs

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Andrew Bennett via PhotoKB.com wrote:
    > Does anybody know when in April the rest of the Kodak Z-series cameras will
    > be coming out - the Z7590 in particular?
    >
    >
    > Thank you
    >

    ? I thought it was June. But then I don't see it as a great improvement
    over the DX model.


    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Apr 7, 2005
    #10
  11. That's what I originally thought as well. However, the Kodak website says
    "available in April".

    --
    Message posted via http://www.photokb.com
    Andrew Bennett via PhotoKB.com, Apr 8, 2005
    #11
  12. pIxEL8eD_nITs

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Andrew Bennett via PhotoKB.com wrote:
    > That's what I originally thought as well. However, the Kodak website says
    > "available in April".
    >


    Did they say WHICH year? Grin.


    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Apr 9, 2005
    #12
  13. Andrew Bennett via PhotoKB.com, Apr 10, 2005
    #13
  14. pIxEL8eD_nITs

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:28:10 -0500, Ron Baird wrote:

    > In first burst mode the camera can do 5 fps
    > In last burst mode the camera can do 30 fps and save the last four.


    Is that really 30 fps, or should it be the last four are saved in
    bursts of up to 30 frames? If really 30 fps, then why would first
    burst mode only be able to do 5 fps? That's really impressive if it
    actually is 30 fps.
    ASAAR, May 5, 2005
    #14
  15. pIxEL8eD_nITs

    Ronald Baird Guest

    Greetings GoSox,

    You can check the features of the cameras and the printers on the Kodak
    site. Note that none of the cameras outside the EasyShare One features a
    wireless connect option. You can use the Printer Dock Plus if you like to
    print your pictures remotely, however, if you choose. The Printer Dock Plus
    is the only model with the convenience of wireless photography. Kodak's
    wireless accessories are designed to work with select KODAK EASYSHARE
    Digital Cameras and Printer Docks. If you have a Printer Dock Plus, just set
    your camera on it and you can print wirelessly. There is a remote control
    offered to run this printer dock which is a nice feature. If your only
    interest is in remote printing, etc. then take a look at the EasyShare One
    and this printer. You can print from anywhere in the proximity of your
    printer and camera, i.e. your house. You could also send images from the
    camera to an online service or to your computer. You can also email your
    pictures remotely.

    If you are you going to use the Z series camera, then you would only be able
    to activate the printer remotely. The only camera out currently that can
    send images to the printer etc. is the EasyShare One.

    The advantage of the new type of USB connection is that is allows connection
    with current technology and other devices that may come down the road later.
    It is a newer improved type of connection.

    If you do not want the flash option (it really is a valuable feature) then
    the Z740 may be the camera for you. The Printer Dock Plus has an accessory
    options for an adapter that will enable the use of the Z740 and Z7590 with
    that dock. Actually, the accessory kit for the dock enables KODAK EASYSHARE
    Printer Dock Plus, Printer Dock, Printer Dock 6000 and Camera Dock 6000 to
    be compatible with the following KODAK EASYSHARE Digital Cameras:

    EASYSHARE-ONE
    C Series
    V Series
    Z Series
    Picture Viewer
    LS755 (available in select countries)


    Talk to you soon, GoSox,

    Let me know if you need more detail.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    "GoSox" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > This is my first post here. I had the same question with regards to the
    > comparison of the DX7590 and Z7590 as well as the Z740. I was even more
    > confused when I shopped a retail store and found the Z740 cheaper than
    > the DX7590 even though the DX7590 is a much older camera. The clerk at
    > the store told me the main difference was that the DX7590 made a louder
    > sound like Star Trek than the newer model. She then recanted when she
    > discovered you could set the sound/modes on the camera. Where do they
    > get these kids. This website has been a god-send. Ok - on to my
    > question...
    >
    > The 3 items that Ron Baird pointed out as differences between the Z7590
    > and DX7590 are not all that important to me. I love to take photos but
    > am not serious enough to want/need a separate flash etc. The USB/a/v
    > port 8 vs. 4 - dont know how that impacts me. However, I am interested
    > in the wireless technology and ability to print from the camera
    > wirelessly. I understand that the new EasyShareOne will be able to
    > print from the camera and you will be able to email from the camera. I
    > also understand that the DX7590 and Z7590 use different printer and
    > camera docks.
    >
    > 1. Will I ever be able to print wirelessly with the Z7590?
    > 2. What are the main differences between the 6000 series dock and the
    > printer dock series 3?
    > 3. The DX7590 received "average picture" reviews by cnet. Is there any
    > differences with the Z7590 that improved the overall quality of the
    > picture?
    > 4. How does the DX7590 or the Z7590 compare to the Panasonic DMC-FZ20?
    > I saw a comparison somewhere where the photos at close range were a lot
    > better with the Panasonic. That being said, I love the ease of use with
    > the Kodak that I experienced at a retail store. I felt like it is very
    > easy to learn.
    >
    >
    > --
    > GoSox
    Ronald Baird, May 9, 2005
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Scrumhalf

    Kodak DX7590?

    Scrumhalf, Jul 4, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    461
    Ron Baird
    Jul 7, 2004
  2. J C P

    Kodak DX7590

    J C P, Oct 16, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    420
    Ron Baird
    Oct 20, 2004
  3. Photobossman

    DX7590 Vrs Z7590

    Photobossman, May 21, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    350
    Ronald Baird
    May 26, 2005
  4. Photobossman

    Dx7590 or Z7590

    Photobossman, May 23, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    307
    Photobossman
    May 23, 2005
  5. pIxEL8eD_nITs

    Kodak DX7590/Z7590 (firmware compatibility) ??

    pIxEL8eD_nITs, Jun 17, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    592
    pIxEL8eD_nITs
    Jun 17, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page