    will my regular old 2.0 usb sd reader be sufficient?

    Thank you for your help,
    Sarah
    Sarah, Mar 11, 2005

  2. Sarah

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Sarah wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > We are considering purchase of the Kodak DX7590 and have a couple of
    > questions. First, does this camera accept high speed sd cards (i.e.
    > sandisk ultra II?) If it accepts these cards, does the speed make a
    > difference, particular in burst mode?
    >
    > Secondly, do high speed sd cards require a special high speed reader? Or
    > will my regular old 2.0 usb sd reader be sufficient?
    >
    > Thank you for your help,
    > Sarah

    Perhaps Ron Baird will respond concerning the transfer rates of the
    DX7590. Unfortunately, camera companies don't seem to publish these
    figures. As for burst mode, the data isn't written to the card until
    AFTER the burst. Then it takes a while. The USB 2.0 card reader (if
    plugged into a USB 2.0 'hi-speed interface') will transfer far faster
    than any flash card can run.

    Even if you don't get any speed increase on 'in-camera' functions, the
    faster card will load your pictures onto the computer a lot faster.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Mar 11, 2005

  3. Sarah

    Sarah Guest

    Thanks, Ron, for your response.

    So a high speed card is compatible with the DX7590? and with my ordinary
    card reader? In other words, I don't have to have a "special high speed"
    card reader in order to read the high speed card?
    Thanks,
    Sarah

    Sarah, Mar 12, 2005
  4. Sarah

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Sarah wrote:
    > Thanks, Ron, for your response.
    >
    > So a high speed card is compatible with the DX7590? and with my ordinary
    > card reader? In other words, I don't have to have a "special high speed"
    > card reader in order to read the high speed card?
    > Thanks,
    > Sarah

    Nope. The one you have will work, if it has a slot for SD/MMC cards.
    If you get the DX7590 with a 'dock', then you will probably only use a
    card reader when you have a lot of pictures to transfer.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Mar 12, 2005
  5. Sarah

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Sarah,

    Glad to hear you are considering a Kodak Camera.

    Actually, the speed of the card will not matter to the camera as it works at
    one speed. A high speed card may be of value, however, if you are using
    other devices that accept fast cards. You can make your buying decision
    based on that information. As to card readers, I suppose the faster the
    better. Although a card reader works on a USB 2.0 port, if you want to take
    full advantage of high speed cards you will need a high speed card reader.
    Most newer card readers are compatible with USB 2.0 but you will not get the
    full advantage unless they are USB HiSpeed. Check this out when you look
    for one.

    Talk to you soon, and if you have questions about the DX7590 or any other
    digital issue I am glad to help.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Mar 14, 2005