Kodak DX7440 polarizer useful?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Hap Shaughnessy, Mar 19, 2005.

  1. Hap Shaughnessy, Mar 19, 2005

  2. Hap Shaughnessy

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Hap,

    I like to have one in my bag, so I can overcome those situations where there
    is a lot glare, or specular highlights. The polarizer will lessen these and
    improve your images. Not sure sure about a 1A filter as that filter is not
    going to do too much. It will cut down haze that you may see in the sky on
    certain days, but outside of that it is just a popular filter to leave in
    place to protect a lens. Since you may have a lens cap or a lens cover
    feature on your camera it would forgo the usefulness of the skylight to some
    degree.

    Make sure the adapter is correct for your camera.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Mar 22, 2005

  3. Hap Shaughnessy

    paul Guest

    Hap Shaughnessy wrote:

    > Trying to absorb http://dpfwiw.com/polarizer.htm ... hurts my brain.

    OUCH!

    Man that is dense reading. Can anyone say in plain english what a
    Circular polarizer does? It seems that you wouldn't need to rotate it
    just so but I can't tell.
    paul, Mar 22, 2005
  4. Ron:

    Thanks for your follow up.

    My main concern was using a circular polarizer filter with the Kodak
    DX7440 since it doen't have a TTL viewfinder like the 10x zoom Kodaks.

    Kodak doesn't make a polarizer for the DX7440 [37mm adapter] but does
    offer them for the DX6490, DX7590, Z740 & Z7590 55mm zooms.

    Setting a polarizer filter may prove difficult using the LCD monitor
    in very bright sunlight.

    http://www.fredericksphoto.com/ has 37mm Hoya Polarizers and I'm going
    ahead and order one to see for myself. If successful I will get blue
    skies back in the odd shots that are sometimes blown out because of
    the small 1/2.5" CCD's limited dynamic range.

    This DX7440 was such a bargain when I bought it last August 2004 that
    I still have money left over from my budget and decided to add a few
    accessories.

    The Tiffen Skylight UV filter was so inexpensive on eBay.ca I figured
    what the hey. It could at the very least be used to keep rain/snow off
    the camera lens.

    I also began a thread in Steve's DigiCams Forums
    http://tinyurl.com/46nv7 and the feedback has been helpful. I'm off to
    catch up.

    Thanks again for your support.

    Hap

    Hap Shaughnessy, Mar 23, 2005
  5. Hap Shaughnessy, Mar 23, 2005
  6. Hap Shaughnessy

    paul Guest

    Thanks, that's much clearer. It doesn't say but I guess the circular
    also needs to be rotated.

    paul, Mar 23, 2005